PDA

View Full Version : EPA Chief Gina McCarthy Doesn’t Know Percentage of CO2 in Atmosphere

timosman
07-12-2015, 01:07 PM
http://freebeacon.com/issues/epa-chief-gina-mccarthy-doesnt-know-percentage-of-co2-in-atmosphere/

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R., Calif.) asked McCarthy, “What percentage of the atmosphere is CO2?”

“What percentage of the atmosphere is CO2? I don’t have that calculation for you sir,” said McCarthy.

“Maybe you could tell us what your personal guess is on what percentage CO2 is,” said the congressman.

“I don’t make those guesses sir,” McCarthy said.

“You’re the head of the EPA and you don’t know—you’ve based all of these laws based on—oh you’re going to get your staffer to tell you now,” said Rohrabacher. “But you’re the head of the EPA and you did not know what percentage and now are basing policies that impact dramatically on the American people and you didn’t even know what the content of CO2 in the atmosphere was, which is the justification for the very policies you’re talking about.”

“No that isn’t—if you’re asking me how much CO2 is in the atmosphere, not a percentage but how much we have just reached levels of 400 parts per million,” McCarthy read from her notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT65MXW5G-I

Ronin Truth
07-12-2015, 01:20 PM
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/earthfact.html

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2015, 01:26 PM
This is just as golden as the guy who couldn't answer how large a prison cell was.

luctor-et-emergo
07-12-2015, 01:27 PM
OMG..

Percent comes directly from the French word for 100, 'Cent'.
How uneducated in science are you when you do not know that percent and ppm are essentially the same number/value written differently. Usually to avoid rows of 0's.

Ronin Truth
07-12-2015, 01:31 PM
OMG..

How uneducated in science are you when you do not know that percent and ppm are essentially the same number/value written differently. Usually to avoid rows of 0's.

It's probably that "written differently" part that's screwing them up. ;) :D Unless they are, in fact, just idiots.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2015, 01:38 PM
There's already a mini-revolution going on, where I live anyway. Almost every block has at least one house with solar panels now, pretty cool stuff. I've already seen the benefits, even though I don't use them yet. There's way less power outages than we used to have. Lots of streetlights have some panels too.

luctor-et-emergo
07-12-2015, 01:45 PM
It's probably that "written differently" part that's screwing them up. ;) :D Unless they are, in fact, just idiots.

I think the latter is safe to assume.

Also, Rohrabacher is trying to make the point that such a tiny fraction of the atmosphere cannot have an impact on weather patterns. This shows more lack of understanding of science.

The basics are pretty well understood. Radiation from the sun comes in, gets absorbed or reflected and a gazillion different factors influence how much gets absorbed and how much gets reflected. CO2 definitely plays a part in this and everyone who denies that is mongering the worst unscientific crap. What I personally find more interesting is how people continue to focus on CO2 so much when it's scientifically proven that other gasses like methane and nitrous oxides are hundreds of times stronger in absorbing infrared (heat radiation) but hardly ever get mentioned in the public debate (although they are well known among (climate) scientists). Not to mention the reflectivity of the earth itself.

I'm not at all sure what the nature is of climate change at the moment, how much influence humanity has on it. I do know for sure that the people in charge WILL mess it up if they are able to. From both sides of the debate.

CaptUSA
07-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Still can't beat this one, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cesSRfXqS1Q

Ronin Truth
07-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Also, Rohrabacher is trying to make the point that such a tiny fraction of the atmosphere cannot have an impact on weather patterns. This shows more lack of understanding of science.

The basics are pretty well understood. Radiation from the sun comes in, gets absorbed or reflected and a gazillion different factors influence how much gets absorbed and how much gets reflected. CO2 definitely plays a part in this and everyone who denies that is mongering the worst unscientific crap. What I personally find more interesting is how people continue to focus on CO2 so much when it's scientifically proven that other gasses like methane and nitrous oxides are hundreds of times stronger in absorbing infrared (heat radiation) but hardly ever get mentioned in the public debate (although they are well known among (climate) scientists). Not to mention the reflectivity of the earth itself.

I'm not at all sure what the nature is of climate change at the moment, how much influence humanity has on it. I do know for sure that the people in charge WILL mess it up if they are able to. From both sides of the debate.

Current Atmospheric CO2 = 400 ppm, per NASA. ;) Big Wooo! :rolleyes:

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Still can't beat this one, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cesSRfXqS1Q

LOL LOL LOL how can a representative be that stupid? No, don't answer that please.
He.. he doesn't know Islands don't actually float. LOL

Ronin Truth
07-12-2015, 05:49 PM
LOL LOL LOL how can a representative be that stupid? No, don't answer that please.
He.. he doesn't know Islands don't actually float. LOL

floating islands

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=floating+islands&gbv=2&oq=floating+islands&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.0.0l10.7847391.7862266.0.7865282.18.10.1.7.8. 0.328.2063.0j5j4j1.10.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..0.18.2438.s93sdUJMS1U

timosman
07-12-2015, 05:56 PM
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/co2/

What levels of CO2 are considered safe?

Carbon dioxide is not generally found at hazardous levels in indoor environments. The MNDOLI has set workplace safety standards of 10,000 ppm for an 8-hour period and 30,000 ppm for a 15 minute period. This means the average concentration over an 8-hour period should not exceed 10,000 ppm and the average concentration over a 15 minute period should not exceed 30,000 ppm. It is unusual to find such continuously high levels indoors and extremely rare in non-industrial workplaces. These standards were developed for healthy working adults and may not be appropriate for sensitive populations, such as children and the elderly. MDH is not aware of lower standards developed for the general public that would be protective of sensitive individuals.

Cleaner44
07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
OMG..

Please don't question the education of the King's Experts.

timosman
07-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Try Latin.

devil21
07-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Please don't question the education of the King's Experts.

Just more proof that the heads of these departments are nothing but PR people for corporations and NWO agenda-pushers and have absolutely no personal, educational, or scientific knowledge of the subject matter they're supposedly 'in charge of'. Heck, if she had guessed and said 3% I'd at least give her credit for trying. But no, she hasn't even enough personal knowledge of the issue to make even a guess!

GunnyFreedom
07-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Current Atmospheric CO2 = 400 ppm, per NASA. ;) Big Wooo! :rolleyes:

400 ppm = 0.04%

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-13-2015, 03:30 AM
400 ppm = 0.04%

we have our new EPA chief

devil21
07-13-2015, 03:49 AM
we have our new EPA chief

Gunny for Pres 2020!

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-13-2015, 04:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XShqCISYk4

alucard13mm
07-13-2015, 01:23 PM

I believe water vapor is thousands of times more potent as a "greenhouse" gas. We need to ban water now!

GunnyFreedom
07-13-2015, 01:34 PM
I believe water vapor is thousands of times more potent as a "greenhouse" gas. We need to ban water now!

and ~1% of the atmosphere vs CO₂ at 0.04% :eek:

muh_roads
07-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Doesn't know CO2 levels, but I bet she knows the carbon tax numbers being planned in secret.

timosman
10-09-2015, 06:02 PM
bump as it relates to the Cruz story - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?483368-Ted-Cruz-Destroys-Fool-On-Climate-Change