PDA

View Full Version : Michigan judge detains kids for refusing lunch with father

aGameOfThrones
07-09-2015, 05:46 PM
DETROIT (AP) — A Michigan judge sent three children to juvenile detention for refusing to have lunch or talk to their father after chastising them and their mother during a recent hearing in a years-long custody fight. And two weeks later, the children — ages 15, 10 and 9 — remained in custody.

Court transcripts show that an exasperated Oakland County Judge Lisa Gorcyca ruled on June 24 that only the father could visit the children while they were at Children's Village, a detention facility in Pontiac. She also said the children should "be kept away from each other as much as possible."

Gorcyca went on to tell the family that the case, stemming from a contentious divorce that began in 2009, was tied for the worst "parental alienation" case she had ever seen. She blamed the mother for alienating the boys and their younger sister from their father.

"Your children — you need to do a research program on Charlie Manson and the cult that he has," the judge told the mother, according to court transcripts provided and first reported by WJBK-TV.

The judge thanked the mother for encouraging the children during the hearing to visit their father, but said "it probably was way too late." She said the children would be released only after talking to their father, and ordered another hearing on Sept. 8.

The Associated Press is withholding the names of the mother and father to protect the identities of their children.

The children remained in custody Thursday, according to the office of attorney Lisa Stern, who is representing the mother. She and the mother declined further comment "due to the sensitive nature of this matter" and were "looking forward to the safe return of the children," said Stern's spokeswoman, Sandra Kott.

http://news.yahoo.com/michigan-judge-detains-kids-refusing-lunch-father-181250429.html

XNavyNuke
07-09-2015, 06:00 PM
After ordering the teen to juvenile detention, the judge added: "You may stay in there until you graduate from high school."

Nine years of prison for the youngest. Committed no crime. No parole. And who says terrorism isn't legal in this country?

XNN

tod evans
07-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Punishing the children for the mothers behavior is fucked up!

Parental alienation is real and I hold "family courts" liable.

kcchiefs6465
07-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Nine years of prison for the youngest. Committed no crime. No parole. And who says terrorism isn't legal in this country?

XNN
Apparently each child may stay until they are 21.

"Juvie life" for contempt.

Ronin Truth
07-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Dad only eats lunch in crappy places that have no Happy Meals. :p

tod evans
07-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Dad only eats lunch in crappy places that have no Happy Meals. :p

I guess that makes me a terrible father, I cook food at home and it doesn't come out of brightly colored boxes or cellophane..;)

EBounding
07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Judge released the children from jail.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/07/10/jailed-kids/29964437/

Ronin Truth
07-10-2015, 03:20 PM
I guess that makes me a terrible father, I cook food at home and it doesn't come out of brightly colored boxes or cellophane..;)

Not necessarily, the lil' critters shouldn't always get what they want. That builds character.

aGameOfThrones
07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Judge released the children from jail.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/07/10/jailed-kids/29964437/

It's cool....

The case has drawn international attention and Gorcyca this afternoon blasted the news media coverage, insisting she has the children's best interests at heart.

The judge noted the kids are not housed with criminal offenders in the juvenile detention facility, but instead, in a short-term housing facility known as Mandy's Place on the campus of Children's Village.

Gorcyca acknowledged that their placement there was "not ideal" but said when she sent them there, all other alternatives had been exhausted.

pcosmar
07-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Punishing the children for the mothers behavior is fucked up!

Parental alienation is real and I hold "family courts" liable.

True enough.
but what if there is a good reason that all them other kids don't want to see him?

Not the judges place to order such.

edit;
reading through,, it looks like more power being applied than just local bureaucrats :(

tod evans
07-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Judge releases 3 kids locked up for failing to meet with dad

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/10/judge-releases-3-kids-locked-up-for-failing-to-meet-with-dad/

A judge on Friday released three who have spent two weeks in juvenile detention for refusing to meet with their estranged father.

Oakland County Judge Lisa Gorcyca said she's sending the children to a summer camp, at the request of the father.

She held a hearing Friday, three days after a TV station reported her June 24 decision to put the kids — ages 15, 10 and 9 — at Children's Village. They were kept away from juveniles who are locked up there for committing crimes.

"The court finds that is in the children's best interests to grant the father's and the guardian ad litem's motion to allow the children to attend summer camp," Gorcyca said, referring to lawyers who represent the children.

It's not clear what will happen when the two-week camp ends.

"That's up to the judge," said Lisa Stern, an attorney for the mother.

The case stems from a divorce that began in 2009. The judge blamed the mother for alienating the two boys and their younger sister from their father.

The Associated Press is withholding the names of the mother and father to protect the identities of the children.

Gorcyca likened the mother's influence on the children to the Charles Manson California cult in the 1960s, according to a transcript of an earlier hearing.

Neil Rockind, a former prosecutor not involved in the case, said it was wrong to lock up the kids.

"They are still children and learned their behaviors from one or both parents," Rockind said. "The key point, though, is they committed no crime."