PDA

View Full Version : School Issues Terrifying Threat to Parents Who Pick Up Kids Late

aGameOfThrones
07-09-2015, 05:38 PM
A letter that went out to families at an Oregon elementary school had some parents up in arms in this week — and fearing for what would happen should they arrive a few minutes late to student pick-up.

The letter, which was sent from office staff at Swegle Elementary School in Salem, was intended to be a reminder about school procedures for the upcoming academic year. But for some parents, one line in particular jumped out: “Children must be picked up on time. If they are not picked up on time, we will call DHS [Department of Human Services] and you will then have to pick them up at court the next day.”

STORY: ‘Off-the-Grid’ Parents Lose Custody of 10 Kids

Another line, this one about the timing of morning drop-off, included similar language: “Please do not drop your children off before [7:40 am]. There will not be any supervision. If children are dropped before 7:40 the staff will call the authorities.”

On Thursday, Chelsea Eichenauer, whose 5-year-old son Mason will attend Swegle Elementary in the fall, posted the letter, dated June 24, on her Facebook page. She included the note: “Anyone else think this is crazy?! Way too extreme!”

“My heart kind of skipped a beat a little bit, it’s pretty scary,” Eichenauer told KOIN News. “It would traumatize my little boy to death if he couldn’t come home one night.”

Eichenauer didn’t respond to Yahoo Parenting’s request for comment.

In response to Eichenauer’s Facebook post, fellow parents expressed concern. “If they would put your child through that scary of a situation (‘Oops, your bad mom is 3 minutes late. I’m taking you to the CRC center and you have to stay overnight with people you don’t know, kids you don’t know, and you can’t see your family until the morning’) think of what unimaginable things they could/would be doing to your child,” wrote one parent.

“I would be putting my kid in another school,” added another commenter. “Especially if they plan on putting any child through that type of stress.” Yet another critic noted, “Of course people want to pick their kids up on time but sometimes things happen.”

"The school office staff sent the letter out without review and approval from the principal. The letter contained information on a variety of topics for next school year. It also included a statement about calling DHS if the parents were late picking the kids up. This was not the right message,” Remy said. “It should have said that parents should call the school if they will be late picking up their kids. If a parent calls and says they have car trouble or something, there is no problem. The school staff will supervise their child until someone picks them up. The scenario of calling DHS would only come into play in extreme cases, when the parents are not in contact with the school and the child has nowhere to go when the school staff need to go home to their own families in the evening.”

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/school-issues-terrifying-threat-to-parents-who-123654081842.html

Henry Rogue
07-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Educational kidnapping.

euphemia
07-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Having served as a volunteer with children before, I can say some parents have no concept of time, or they think of volunteers as unpaid babysitters. I had a very strict pickup policy. Parents should make arrangements to have their children picked up on time.

That said, parents should not be threatened with authorities. This alone would make me home school and take the children with if I needed to be somewhere.

thoughtomator
07-09-2015, 06:00 PM
LOL @ parents who willingly hand over their kids to one government agency - for indoctrination, no less - freaking out about another government agency getting their hands on them.

heavenlyboy34
07-09-2015, 06:15 PM
LOL @ parents who willingly hand over their kids to one government agency - for indoctrination, no less - freaking out about another government agency getting their hands on them.

Thoughtcriminal! Our resident State Apologist (name redacted 'cuz I don't want to violate ToS) has assured me the gov'ment schools are fine and dandy-superior to many private schools, in fact! Report to Room 101 immediately.

Henry Rogue
07-09-2015, 06:19 PM

It's the perception of the ordinary and the out of ordinary that scares them and the stigma of DHS associated with bad parenting. Probably has little to do with Liberty for most of the population.

LibForestPaul
07-09-2015, 07:55 PM

I have a hard time not judging. Because 99% will not get this.

DisneyFan
07-09-2015, 08:03 PM
The public vs. private vs. homeschool debate is an interesting one, but even assuming one is OK with public schooling, I simply do not understand how parents allow this and other craziness to continue. Are people that afraid of confronting freaking school administrators, protesting at school board meetings, voting the ones who ignore your pleas out, and so forth? Do they simply not care?? You have the power to stop this crap, guys!

heavenlyboy34
07-09-2015, 08:07 PM
The public vs. private vs. homeschool debate is an interesting one, but even assuming one is OK with public schooling, I simply do not understand how parents allow this and other craziness to continue. Are people that afraid of confronting freaking school administrators, protesting at school board meetings, voting the ones who ignore your pleas out, and so forth? Do they simply not care?? You have the power to stop this crap, guys!

Herein is one of the huge problems with democratic systems. If the majority of people don't care about injustices being done to the minority, nothing happens. (and often nothing happens when they do care because democratic systems tend toward corruption)

Danke
07-09-2015, 08:11 PM
How about stop forcing me to pay for your kids indoctrination. Problem solved.

TheTexan
07-09-2015, 08:13 PM
There are rules people. If the parents themselves don't understand how rules work, maybe their kids do belong with the DHS.

TheTexan
07-09-2015, 08:14 PM

Noone is forcing you. You always have the option of dedicating your life to politics so you can change it.

Danke
07-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Noone is forcing you. You always have the option of dedicating your life to politics so you can change it.

You are right, as usual.

jj-
07-09-2015, 08:16 PM
bmx is passing danke in my favorite posters list

heavenlyboy34
07-09-2015, 08:31 PM

There are probably places outside of gov'ment school districts for you to park your trailer in so's ya don't have to pay for local stuff. They'll always find a way to tax ya for the federal and state indoctrination programs, though. :(

euphemia
07-09-2015, 08:56 PM
My guess is the school has probably had problems with kids being left at school for hours with no word from the parents. My question is where else do parents have to be if it's time for school to be out? We home schooled, and it wasn't a deal on that score, but even home school parents would leave their kids at events long after time for it to be over. Lady, I told you we would be done at 2. We're done, so where are you?

Cissy
07-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Having served as a volunteer with children before, I can say some parents have no concept of time, or they think of volunteers as unpaid babysitters. I had a very strict pickup policy. Parents should make arrangements to have their children picked up on time.

That said, parents should not be threatened with authorities. This alone would make me home school and take the children with if I needed to be somewhere.

Exactly. This is the school's overreaction to the irresponsible parents who don't arrange to have their kids picked up after school, but who show up hours later, (or who have to work early, don't have before school childcare, and drop off their child an hour before school starts, before the teachers or principal arrives.

They're not reacting to the parent who was 5 minutes late one time---we're talking about the people for whom this was the pattern--regularly.

Ask anyone who's been in childcare (or hosted a child's event) and this happens, regardless of function; basic manners and consideration would go a long way, here.