PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Outrage Brewing Over Minnesota State Flag

AuH20
07-07-2015, 10:56 AM
The prison of small minds.................

http://rightwingnews.com/media/leftists-want-minnesota-flag-taken-down-because-it-shows-white-man-working/

The Minnesota state flag depicts a white man as a hardworking, rugged individualist, and an Indian riding a horse and holding a spear.

The current interest in the removal of the Confederate battle flag from public displays and store shelves provides an excellent opportunity to examine what the Minnesota state flag represents. The images on the flag are interpreted by state documents as innocuous symbols of the state’s history. A critical examination of what the flag is saying, however, should make Minnesotans reconsider what their state flag projects about their state.

The state flag of Minnesota is often something that is taken for granted. Thousands of people see the flag flying without giving it a second thought. First unfurled in 1893 (a date found on the flag), it has the state seal featured prominently in its center. The seal was based on a painting by Seth Eastman and was promoted by Gov. Henry Sibley; it did engender criticism when first used in 1858, but was not changed.

The “great symbolism” of the figures on the seal, as described by the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, include an American “Indian on horseback … riding due south and [representing] the Indian heritage of Minnesota. The Indian’s horse and spear and pioneer’s ax, rifle, and plow represent tools that were used for hunting and labor” (Minnesota Legislative Manual).

A close examination shows the central figure to be a white pioneer dressed in work clothes, wearing a wide-brim hat and pushing a plow. He is an iconic image of a hardworking, rugged individualist who works alone to chop the trees, plow the land and protect his home. He is looking over his shoulder at the Indian, who is riding a horse and holding a spear.

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Is that really all these people have to worry about? Seriously. I don't think I could pick the GA flag out of a line up.

erowe1
07-07-2015, 11:31 AM
How does this have anything to do with being progressive or conservative?

Zippyjuan
07-07-2015, 12:19 PM
The image in question: The flag is the state seal on a field of blue. Given how busy the image is, I bet few people have ever even taken a close look at it.

http://www.embassyflag.com/flag/minnesota_seal.jpg

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 12:22 PM
The image in question: The flag is the state seal on a field of blue. Given how busy the image is, I bet few people have ever even taken a close look at it.

http://www.embassyflag.com/flag/minnesota_seal.jpg

It looks like the guy wearing the red shirt in front is cutting the grass.:confused:

Zippyjuan
07-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Better quality image of the state seal:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/Seal_of_Minnesota.svg/1024px-Seal_of_Minnesota.svg.png

tod evans
07-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Is that really all these people have to worry about? Seriously. I don't think I could pick the GA flag out of a line up.

No shit eh?

Must be nice.....

ThePaleoLibertarian
07-07-2015, 12:37 PM
How does this have anything to do with being progressive or conservative?
It's the progressives who are throwing a shit fit about all this flag stuff. The left plays the tune, the "right" (or the rotting carcass formerly known as the right) dances to it.

erowe1
07-07-2015, 12:39 PM
It's the progressives who are throwing a shit fit about all this flag stuff.

Good for them. Conservatives could learn from that. The recent story about churches denigrating the US flag below the Christian one is hopefully a sign that we're starting to see that.

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 12:42 PM
It looks like the guy wearing the red shirt in front is cutting the grass.:confused:

Oops.:o Yellow shirt guy is plowing (barefoot?) and the Indian looks naked...but why? Still kind of a weird thing to put on a flag but whatever...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/Seal_of_Minnesota.svg/1024px-Seal_of_Minnesota.svg.png

ThePaleoLibertarian
07-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Good for them. Conservatives could learn from that. The recent story about churches denigrating the US flag below the Christian one is hopefully a sign that we're starting to see that.
Conservatives trying to beat progressives at their own game is why the right is dying.

Root
07-07-2015, 12:47 PM

Oops.:o Yellow shirt guy is plowing (barefoot?) and the Indian looks naked...but why? Still kind of a weird thing to put on a flag but whatever...
Did you not see there's a GUN!!?? :eek:

Edit: And an axe!! :eek:

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 12:51 PM

I thought it was just a shovel.:eek:

I'm horrible at deciphering flags.:o

erowe1
07-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Conservatives trying to beat progressives at their own game is why the right is dying.

It's not progressive though. If the so-called progressives are lining up as enemies of the state, then I welcome them to the club. I will welcome the right when it comes around too. If it won't, then let it die.

tod evans
07-07-2015, 01:00 PM

The fucking racists!

Ban the whole state!

ThePaleoLibertarian
07-07-2015, 01:02 PM
It's not progressive though. If the so-called progressives are lining up as enemies of the state, then I welcome them to the club. I will welcome the right when it comes around too. If it won't, then let it die.
They're not. At all. They never will.

Zippyjuan
07-07-2015, 01:14 PM

I think he is wearing a loin cloth. Looks like the back flap is visible but was colored the same as his skin in this image.

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 01:20 PM
I think he is wearing a loin cloth. Looks like the back flap is visible but was colored the same as his skin in this image.

The Indian doesn't have nipples either.

erowe1
07-07-2015, 01:26 PM
They're not. At all. They never will.

Well, if they're betraying their principles by complaining about flags, then far be it from me to stop them. We need more anti-flag mentality, not less.

ThePaleoLibertarian
07-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Well, if they're betraying their principles by complaining about flags, then far be it from me to stop them. We need more anti-flag mentality, not less.
Complaining about flags is not anti-state, not inherently at least. The people who are raising the biggest fuss about the rebel flag aren't doing it because they're against statism. They're doing it because they hate the South, they hate whites, they especially hate Southern whites and they believe in federal supremacy. If it was really about racism, they'd oppose the American flag and the pan-African flag that was co-opted by the New Black Panthers.

tod evans
07-07-2015, 02:14 PM
What was the whining about in the first place?

Some city bound idiot who thinks farming is more difficult than hunting.....

Obviously they've done neither to feed a family so who do they think they are to assume anything?

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 02:16 PM
What was the whining about in the first place?

Some city bound idiot who thinks farming is more difficult than hunting.....

Obviously they've done neither to feed a family so who do they think they are to assume anything?

I think they were mad because the man in the yellow shirt was keeping his eye on the naked, nipple-less Indian.

tod evans
07-07-2015, 02:20 PM
I think they were mad because the man in the yellow shirt was keeping his eye on the naked, nipple-less Indian.

How does the politically correct moron know those two weren't early butt-buddies deserving of her compassion?

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 02:25 PM
How does the politically correct moron know those two weren't early butt-buddies deserving of her compassion?

The inspiration for Brokeback Mountain? Seems legit.