PDA

View Full Version : Eric Holder: The Justice Department could strike deal with Edward Snowden

Suzanimal
07-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Former Attorney General Eric Holder said today that a “possibility exists” for the Justice Department to cut a deal with former NSA contractor Edward Snowden that would allow him to return to the United States from Moscow.

In an interview with Yahoo News, Holder said “we are in a different place as a result of the Snowden disclosures” and that “his actions spurred a necessary debate” that prompted President Obama and Congress to change policies on the bulk collection of phone records of American citizens.

Asked if that meant the Justice Department might now be open to a plea bargain that allows Snowden to return from his self-imposed exile in Moscow, Holder replied: “I certainly think there could be a basis for a resolution that everybody could ultimately be satisfied with. I think the possibility exists.”

Holder’s comments came as he began a new job as a private lawyer at Covington & Burling, the elite Washington law firm where he worked before serving as the nation’s top law enforcement officer from February 2009 until last April.

In that capacity, Holder presided over an unprecedented crackdown on government leakers, including the filing of a June 2013 criminal complaint against Snowden, charging him with three felony violations of the Espionage Act for turning over tens of thousands of government documents to journalists.

Holder had previously said — in a January 2014 interview with MSNBC — that the U.S. would be willing to “engage in conversation” with Snowden and his lawyers were he willing to return to the United States to face the charges, but ruled out any granting of clemency.

But his remarks to Yahoo News go further than any current or former Obama administration official in suggesting that Snowden’s disclosures had a positive impact and that the administration might be open to a negotiated plea that the self-described whistleblower could accept, according to his lawyer Ben Wizner.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/eric-holder-the-justice-department-could-strike-123393663066.html

Ronin Truth
07-07-2015, 04:45 AM
It's a trap. Don't fall for it, Ed.

tangent4ronpaul
07-07-2015, 04:57 AM
chief counsel to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, recently privately floated the idea that the government might be open to a plea bargain in which Snowden returns to the United States, pleads guilty to one felony count and receives a prison sentence of three to five years in exchange for full cooperation with the government.

Now head over hear BITCH! We built a gallows special for you!

-t

tod evans
07-07-2015, 05:46 AM
Snakes spew venom...

I'd trust Holder as far as I could dropkick an anvil....

Kords21
07-07-2015, 06:13 AM
Sounds like something from Game of Thrones and the Red Wedding, sure we'll forgive everything, just have to pay a little. Why would Snowden of all people trust this gov't?

libertarianMoney
07-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Easy for him to say now that he already has his high paying non-political position. I suspect this means absolutely nothing to the actual administration. It's just him trying to reconcile his terrible reputation.

Assuming there is some truth to it:

Any "deal" would likely be an insult for him to accept. Government would parade themselves around as reasonable when he didn't do anything to even warrant the need for a plea deal. They have laws that were supposed to protect him. I find it a little hard to believe they'd kill him if he came back. I'm betting they'd just require some kind of silence and then parade his image around as a sign of good government (while continuing the things he "rallied" people against.)

Zippyjuan
07-07-2015, 12:26 PM
From March: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/03/politics/snowden-ready-to-return-to-united-states/
(he made a similar statement in 2014 as well)

Lawyer: Snowden ready to return to United States

Washington (CNN)Edward Snowden's lawyer says he is ready to come home to the United States.

The former National Security Agency contractor's Russian lawyer said he's ready to leave the country that offered him political asylum in 2013 and return to the United States as long as he gets a fair trial.

"He is thinking about it. He has a desire to return and we are doing everything we can to make it happen," said Anatoly Kucherena, Snowden's lawyer, Agence-France Presse reported Tuesday.

Snowden has remained in Russia since he leaked thousands of classified documents to media outlets that he obtained while working for the consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton.

"We're certainly happy for him to return to the United States to face a court in the very serious charges" he faces, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Tuesday.

"So he absolutely can and should return to the United States to face the justice system that will be fair in its judgment of him," she said. "But he is accused of very serious crimes and should return home to face them."

Kucherena said Snowden has so far received a guarantee from Attorney General Eric Holder that he will not face the death penalty -- but that Snowden also wants a guarantee of a "legal and impartial trial."

Such a trial, Snowden's legal advisers have said, would mean he wouldn't face charges under the Espionage Act, a World War I-era law that was used to charge Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg.

Snowden's lawyer said he's allowed to travel outside Russia now under a three-year Russian residency permit, but that he believes Snowden would be taken immediately to a U.S. embassy as soon as he leaves the country.

His current asylum permit runs through 2017 (a one year permit was extended by another three years in 2014).

charrob
07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
In an interview with Yahoo News, Holder said “we are in a different place as a result of the Snowden disclosures” and that “his actions spurred a necessary debate” that prompted President Obama and Congress to change policies on the bulk collection of phone records of American citizens.

According to Napolitano nothing has really changed... they are continuing to collect everything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hxzgLbAzII

Suzanimal
07-09-2015, 06:13 PM
What a dickhead.

FBI head Comey: No deal with Snowden

FBI Director James Comey today dismissed the idea of any plea deal with Edward Snowden, calling the ex-NSA contractor a “fugitive” who should be apprehended and brought to justice in the United States.

Comey’s comments came two days after former Attorney General Eric Holder seemed to open the door to the idea of a possible deal with Snowden, telling Yahoo News in an interview that Snowden had “spurred a necessary debate” that led the U.S. government to curb the bulk collection of the records of Americans’ phone calls.

But Comey took a decidedly different tack when asked about his former boss’ comments during a meeting with reporters at FBI headquarters.

“My view is [Snowden is] a fugitive,” Comey said. “I’d love to apprehend him so he can enjoy the benefits of the freest and fairest criminal justice system in the world.”:mad:

As for Holder’s contention that Snowden — by leaking classified documents to journalists — had spurred an important debate about U.S. surveillance, Comey said, “Look, you have to look at Snowden’s body of work.”

Comey appeared to be referring to the contention of many in the U.S. intelligence community that Snowden had leaked tens of thousands of sensitive documents — most of which had nothing to do with the bulk collection of phone records, the one program that Congress changed, by passing the USA Freedom Act, as a result of his disclosures.

But Comey stopped himself midthought, saying he didn’t want to elaborate and potentially jeopardize any future trial of Snowden. “The guy’s a fugitive, and I want him to have a free and fair trial.”

Snowden was charged in a criminal complaint two years ago with three felony violations of the Espionage Act. His lawyer said this week that his client, who has been living in self-imposed exile in Moscow and making paid speeches via Skype, does not intend to return if he is required to plead to a felony as a result of his “act of conscience.”

A spokeswoman for Holder’s successor, Attorney General Loretta Lynch, said this week, “Our position regarding bringing Edward Snowden back to the United States to face charges has not changed.”

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-head-comey--no-deal-with-snowden-201533169.html