PDA

View Full Version : George Takei (Lt. Sulu) in hot water for calling Clarence Thomas a "clown in blackface"

Anti Federalist
07-04-2015, 01:31 PM
They eat their own...

‘That Is Not Racist’: Hollywood Actor Who Called Justice Clarence Thomas a ‘Clown in Blackface’ Doubles Down

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/03/that-is-not-racist-hollywood-actor-who-called-justice-clarence-thomas-a-clown-in-blackface-doubles-down/

After shocking fans and foes, alike, with his harsh comments about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, actor and activist George Takei took to Facebook on Thursday night to defend his use of the word “blackface,” while further rebuking the African American judicial leader.

“A few fans have written wondering whether I intended to utter a racist remark by referring to Justice Thomas as a ‘clown in blackface,’” he wrote. “‘Blackface’ is a lesser known theatrical term for a white actor who blackens his face to play a black buffoon. In traditional theater lingo, and in my view and intent, that is not racist. It is instead part of a racist history in this country.”

Takei, 78, a gay activist who is known for his role as Hikaru Sulu in “Star Trek,” also went on to claim that he believes Thomas has “abdicated and abandoned his African American heritage by claiming slavery did not strip dignity from human beings,” expressing frustration over the justice’s dissent, which also mentioned Japanese internment.

As TheBlaze previously reported, Takei captured a fair amount of attention this week when lambasted Thomas while railing against the justice’s statements about same-sex nuptials.

“He is a clown in blackface sitting on the Supreme Court. He gets me that angry,” Takei told KSAZ-TV, visibly flustered as he railed against the African American justice. ”For him to say slaves had dignity … I mean, doesn’t he know slaves were chained? That they were whipped on the back?”

The actor was responding to a portion of Thomas’ dissent that discussed human dignity:

“Human dignity has long been understood in this country to be innate. When the Framers proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence that ‘all men are created equal’ and ‘endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,’ they referred to a vision of mankind in which all humans are created in the image of God and therefore of inherent worth. That vision is the foundation upon which this Nation was built.

The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.”

Origanalist
07-04-2015, 02:02 PM

Occam's Banana
07-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Oh, my!!

*popcorn*

sparebulb
07-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Good for Takei for not backing down from what he said.

I don't necessarily agree with what he said, and I don't like the double-standard of what is allowable speech by virtue of race, gender, or ****-ism, but everyone would be better off if they say what they mean and not back down.

+rep for Takei, although I don't hang out in his type of places.

sparebulb
07-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Darned redundant post posted more than darned once.

Sola_Fide
07-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Wow, I really agree with Justice Thomas' statement there.

Sola_Fide
07-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Good for Takei for not backing down from what he said.

I don't necessarily agree with what he said, and I don't like the double-standard of what is allowable speech by virtue of race, gender, or ****-ism, but everyone would be better off if they say what they mean and not back down.

+rep for Takei, although I don't hang out in his type of places.

Do I get a +rep for sticking to my guns and showing everyone that the Bible says homosexuality is evil?

sparebulb
07-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Yep, and here it is.

+rep for you

Origanalist
07-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Oh, my!!

*popcorn*

https://twitter.com/hashtag/GeorgeTakeiMovies?src=hash

idiom
07-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Dignity can be given away, and often is.

DFF
07-04-2015, 04:47 PM
”For him to say slaves had dignity … I mean, doesn’t he know slaves were chained? That they were whipped on the back?”

Most slaves were never whipped....many where treated well, in spite of all these propagandized films from Hollyweird claiming otherwise.

ThePaleoLibertarian
07-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Usually, if someone said this about a black man, they'd be crucified. Thomas is a black conservative though, so I doubt anyone will care.

angelatc
07-04-2015, 05:30 PM
They eat their own...”

Let me know when they yank Star Trek reruns off the air. Until then, its just noise.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Let me know when they yank Star Trek reruns off the air. Until then, its just noise.

I'm sure we could get some mobs of Boobus spun up and out of control enough to do that.

angelatc
07-04-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm sure we could get some mobs of Boobus spun up and out of control enough to do that.

Nope. The left has already won precisely because the right doesn't do this. Glenn Beck, Dukes of Hazard, the CEO of Firefox....those things happened because the hive mind picked up the phones. We on the right don't do that.

Chik Fil A and Hobby Lobby are outliers. ANd their CEOs won't live forever.

Henry Rogue
07-04-2015, 06:26 PM
The title was chopped off in New Posts. I expected it to read "a clown in a gown." Which would have been funny.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Nope. The left has already won precisely because the right doesn't do this. Glenn Beck, Dukes of Hazard, the CEO of Firefox....those things happened because the hive mind picked up the phones. We on the right don't do that.

Chik Fil A and Hobby Lobby are outliers. ANd their CEOs won't live forever.

So, a "homosexual racist" sort of cancels each other out then?

sparebulb
07-04-2015, 09:14 PM
//

Anti Federalist
07-04-2015, 09:46 PM
"homosexual racist"

Like this guy...

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/turtledove/images/8/8b/Rohm.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101119235415

Origanalist
07-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Like this guy...

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/turtledove/images/8/8b/Rohm.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101119235415

Cute haircut.

phill4paul
07-04-2015, 09:54 PM
"Clowns in black face." "Uncle Tom's." "House ******s."

https://saralangstonwood.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/h-k-_edgerton.jpg?w=300&h=200

http://maddnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/conferflag.jpg

The Free Hornet
07-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Do I get a +rep for sticking to my guns and showing everyone that the Bible says homosexuality is evil?

Why should I give a fuck about what your story book says?

phill4paul
07-04-2015, 11:42 PM

No.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/574/446/Posey_NoHighFive_original.gif?1349990419

Sola_Fide
07-05-2015, 12:08 AM

Because God created you and spoke to you in it. Deep down, in your heart of hearts, you know it is true.

phill4paul
07-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Because God created you and spoke to you in it. Deep down, in your heart of hearts, you know it is true.

Might have been a different spirit. Tricksters abound. Might want to re-examine yours. ;)

Anti Federalist
07-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Cute haircut.

Who else do we know that likes that style?

JK/SEA
07-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Who else do we know that likes that style?

the list is long....but...

uhhhh....cops for a thousand Alex...

angelatc
07-05-2015, 09:27 AM
So, a "homosexual racist" sort of cancels each other out then?

My guess is that gay celebrity trumps racist. Unless Morgan Freeman or Kanye West decides to jump into the fray.

angelatc
07-05-2015, 09:28 AM

My guess is that the people who asked him suddenly don't care?

ifthenwouldi
07-05-2015, 09:58 AM

What a simple and sincere answer. +rep for this response.

Anti Federalist
07-05-2015, 11:07 AM
My guess is that gay celebrity trumps racist. Unless Morgan Freeman or Kanye West decides to jump into the fray.

So, off topic here, but somebody help me out, because I am, really, so hopelessly out of touch with things of this sort...

Is it "Cain" or "Kahn-yay"?

tod evans
07-05-2015, 11:08 AM
So, off topic here, but somebody help me out, because I am, really, so hopelessly out of touch with things of this sort...

Who cares?

Anti Federalist
07-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Who cares?

Meh, I was just curious.

ETA - Comes now a rep comment:

The latter. Two syllables. More like, 'Can ye?' though

tod evans
07-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Meh, I was just curious.

I don't have the foggiest idea, I've only seen the name in print.

I say it Cain in my head when I read it though...

Like Qui Chang Caine

http://www.usadojo.com/Images/eulogy-images/David-Carradine/kung-fu-movie.jpg

angelatc
07-05-2015, 11:46 AM

The latter.

TheCount
07-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Most slaves were never whipped....many where treated well, in spite of all these propagandized films from Hollyweird claiming otherwise.

You're adorable.

DFF
07-05-2015, 03:50 PM
If they were treated so badly, then why did most slaves elect to stick around the plantation after slavery was abolished?

- neg rep coming

Anti Federalist
07-05-2015, 06:20 PM
If they were treated so badly, then why did most slaves elect to stick around the plantation after slavery was abolished?

- neg rep coming

Because they were "institutionalized", the same way that long time convicts in prison are.

If that was the only world you ever knew, most people would not be willing to leave it behind, even if it was under slave conditions.

ETA - Fuck me, now that I think about it, that's almost all of us, myself included, in or out of prison.

Origanalist
07-05-2015, 07:05 PM

- neg rep coming

Seriously dude, I can't believe you said that.

DFF
07-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Seriously dude, I can't believe you said that.

I'm not suggesting that being a slave was a wonderful existence (although it was better than the alternative of not having a job and starving to death).
Just pointing out that owners didn't typically beat them, for the same reason farmers don't typically beat their horses.
This would be bad for business.
But if you watch 12 years a Slave or Roots, you would get the false impression that slave owners beat the crap out of them 24/7.
When this just wasn't the case.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
07-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Did you watch "12 Years a Slave"? He had more than one master who treated him reasonably okay. He was bounced around/hired out / sold a lot though, and some of the overseers and one master were indeed cruel.

TheCount
07-05-2015, 10:50 PM

- neg rep coming

Because:

1) As AF said, they were institutionalized.

2) They had no means to move to a new place. Where would they have gone, and how would they have gathered up the money to afford to go there? Within the US, only the South had the need for such a huge number of unskilled workers, which is why slavery was profitable there in the first place.

3) They were intentionally uneducated, and had no marketable skills aside from those they'd been trained in.

4) Although they were technically free, they would remain under an extremely oppressive set of laws for another 100 years.

Anti Federalist
11-12-2017, 12:40 PM
“He is a clown in blackface sitting on the Supreme Court. He gets me that angry,” Takei told KSAZ-TV, visibly flustered as he railed against the African American justice. ”For him to say slaves had dignity … I mean, doesn’t he know slaves were chained? That they were whipped on the back?”

I wonder how much dignity there is in getting homosexually groped after passing out?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?516721-George-Takei-Accused-of-Sexually-Assaulting-Former-Model-in-1981

phill4paul
11-12-2017, 12:47 PM
I wonder how much dignity there is in getting homosexually groped after passing out?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?516721-George-Takei-Accused-of-Sexually-Assaulting-Former-Model-in-1981

I don't know if it is true or not but it is good to see Takei getting some of his own medicine. He has always been quick to condemn others that are not of his political perversion with little or no evidence.

Anti Federalist
11-12-2017, 01:40 PM
I don't know if it is true or not but it is good to see Takei getting some of his own medicine. He has always been quick to condemn others that are not of his political perversion with little or no evidence.

Exactamundo.

Raginfridus
11-12-2017, 01:58 PM
The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.”
I remember this now. Nobody actually read the argument Thomas made. If they had, they would have understood his thesis condemned slavery of any kind to it's core: that negroes were inherently disadvantaged by nature, and the white man's burden was to lift his lesser brother-man up from their savage ways.

You still see relics of The White Man's Burden in progressivism, chiefly because the black population were their first social experiment. The plantation vote is so secure, progs have moved onto identity politics instead, and pay the blacks no particular attention except to wield them in elections like virtue shields: impervious to criticism because racism.

Pauls' Revere
11-12-2017, 02:21 PM
So, homosexuality trumps racism?

Reminds me of a time at a place I worked. One of the workers had done something negligible by law. I had to write it up and turn it over to state but the reply from one of their associates was "but he's gay". To which I replied. What does that have to do with them breaking the law? As though somehow the action was excusable due to a person being gay.

Raginfridus
11-12-2017, 03:14 PM
So, homosexuality trumps racism?

Reminds me of a time at a place I worked. One of the workers had done something negligible by law. I had to write it up and turn it over to state but the reply from one of their associates was "but he's gay". To which I replied. What does that have to do with them breaking the law? As though somehow the action was excusable due to a person being gay.There seems to be this weird, new stupid going around that gays can't molest or be molested. I ask these naive tools: how do you think so many young homosexuals are discovering their sexuality? Many "discover" themselves at an age sex is technically statutory.

anaconda
11-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Not just a "racist," according to Mr. Sulu. But a "racist bigot!"

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/5/53/Sulu_Fencing.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110330174542&path-prefix=en

Pauls' Revere
11-14-2017, 12:49 AM
There seems to be this weird, new stupid going around that gays can't molest or be molested. I ask these naive tools: how do you think so many young homosexuals are discovering their sexuality? Many "discover" themselves at an age sex is technically statutory.

I think your on to something here. This Inane Noeveau is a social symptom of just how entrenched and ingrained political correctness is and has taken us down that dark road of double standard morality.

Anti Federalist
11-14-2017, 02:53 AM
There seems to be this weird, new stupid going around that gays can't molest or be molested. I ask these naive tools: how do you think so many young homosexuals are discovering their sexuality? Many "discover" themselves at an age sex is technically statutory.

I don't think I can stand too many more new flavors of stupid.