PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area: 'Who's Hungry' campaign shows hunger as silent epidemic for California kids

timosman
07-03-2015, 02:00 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/san-jose-neighborhoods/ci_27509104/bay-area-whos-hungry-campaign-shows-hunger-silent

Childhood hunger or food insecurity in the Bay Area may often go undetected, but a campaign led by the Northern California Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics seeks to bring visibility to the issue.

The "Who's Hungry" photo exhibit includes 20 photos of Bay Area children who appear to be healthy and well-fed, yet half are "food insecure." The exhibit, shared at the Hunger Action Summit on Jan. 30 at Santa Clara University, is part of a broader campaign reaching out to pediatricians, schools and communities to promote awareness of the issue. The photos will be included in the campaign materials.

The California Chapter of AAP "wanted to remind the medical community that, even in a land of plenty, there are children and families who do not have enough food to eat, who face hunger each day and may go unnoticed," said Gena Lewis, chapter president and pediatrician at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland. "This was the inspiration for the 'Who's Hungry' project."

It is estimated that one in four California children have food insecurity, which can contribute to learning and behavior issues as well as health problems, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Lewis points out that children who are going to bed hungry may even be overweight due to taking in inexpensive high-calorie, low-nutrient foods.

Advertisement
The Academy is encouraging health care professionals to routinely ask families about their food security during the past 12 months. The hope is that through the screening, those who indicate they either ran out of food and had no money to purchase more or those who worried they would run out of food before payday will be referred to food and nutrition resources in the community.

The campaign is in its early stages, but posters and ads should start appearing across North California soon, starting with federally funded health centers.

At the Hunger Action Summit, organized by Second Harvest Food Bank and Santa Clara University, the hunger index and hunger gap for Santa Clara and San Mateo counties were revealed.

While the gap between meals families need and meals acquired through money or food assistance programs has shrunk since last year's study, low-income families in both counties were still short by 176 million meals. The estimation for the 2012 meal gap was 184 million meals.

Second Harvest is providing nearly 250,000 people with food each month through its network of food banks and pantries across the two counties.

"It's a good sign that the improving economy may finally be helping some of the families we serve," said Kathy Jackson, CEO of Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. "But hunger remains a serious issue in our community. Too many of our neighbors aren't getting enough to eat, and that can have serious implications for their health."

timosman
07-03-2015, 02:01 PM
http://www.aapca1.org/whos-hungry-you-cant-tell-looking-project

One in four San Francisco Bay Area children goes to bed hungry each night due to lack of food. This and the family’s lack of money to buy adequate food to feed their families defines food insecurity. Pediatricians know that child hunger contributes to learning and behavior problems and a myriad of growth and developmental issues. We also recognize that parents, especially mothers, routinely go hungry to provide food for their children.

Brian4Liberty
07-03-2015, 02:34 PM
"food insecurity"

The Marxists are so very good at creating new labels and new outrages.

Ronin Truth
07-03-2015, 02:41 PM
They just have them, not feed them. Pathetic.

It's almost enough to make folks believe in forced sterilization.

Brian4Liberty
07-03-2015, 03:13 PM
This used to be called living from paycheck to paycheck.

Parents inability to manage their budgets is now a social problem for others to solve. And how can we tell the truly needy from the parents who just buy junk food and spend their money (frivolously) on other things? What is the average cell phone bill for these people? How about their cable bill? What kind of car are they driving? Designer clothes? What drugs are they using (including cigarettes and alcohol)?

tod evans
07-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Government is the problem not the solution.

paleocon1
07-03-2015, 03:45 PM
"food insecurity"

The Marxists are so very good at creating new labels and new outrages.

It means that the 'parent(s)' blow the kid's food money on cigs, booze, drugs, lottery. More than enough money for the kids to eat IF the 'parent(s)' weren't 100% drek.

timosman
07-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I am trying to figure out what's really behind this. I see Baltimore did something similar in 2008 - https://web.archive.org/web/20080928102409/http://www.baltimorehealth.org/hungryinbaltimore.html - but the page is gone and no more mention of hunger on the current web site - http://www.baltimorehealth.org They used to claim 1 in 8 children vs. the current claim 1 in 4. What's also interesting the actual study collected data in 7 US cities, none of them in Bay Area. The only California city was Los Angeles - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OWeEZnkf5vQJ:www.childrenshealthwat ch.org/wp-content/uploads/EH_Pediatrics_2010.pdf+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Something tells me it could be a promo for the new series taking place in .... yes, you guessed, San Francisco - http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/young-and-hungry

euphemia
09-13-2015, 12:11 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with the nanny state and the fact that kids get free breakfast and lunch. Parents don't cook, and kids don't learn how to cook.

erowe1
09-13-2015, 12:48 PM
I get hungry from time to time. So do my kids.

DevilsAdvocate
09-13-2015, 01:03 PM
As the demographics of California have changed, so has the wealth and prosperity of the people who live there. There are entire towns in California that look like something out of Mexico

Legend1104
09-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Anyone that has kids knows that it is not silent. Forget to feed them and see how silent they are. shesh.

phill4paul
09-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Schools feed them breakfast and lunch. The USDA has a Summer Food Service Program so that they can eat even when not in school.

Obviously the government is not the solution if they are still hungry.

ThePaleoLibertarian
09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
I grew up in the Bay Area, so I can say with reasonable confidence that this is bullshit. I want to know what the actual definition of "food insecurity" is, because I doubt it's what is implied by that label.

timosman
09-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I grew up in the Bay Area, so I can say with reasonable confidence that this is bullshit. I want to know what the actual definition of "food insecurity" is, because I doubt it's what is implied by that label.

It's in the links I provided:

We encourage all pediatric and adult primary health care professionals to routinely screen for food insecurity/hunger using the following 2 questions and to refer those screening positive to appropriate community resources:

Within the past 12 months, the food we bought just didn’t last and we didn’t have money to get more.
Within the past 12 months we worried whether our food would run out before we got money to buy more.