PDA

View Full Version : New national CNN poll: Strong majority see Confederate flag as symbol of pride, not hate

RonPaulFanInGA
07-02-2015, 01:51 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/246744-majority-see-confederate-flag-as-symbol-of-price-not-hate

A majority of Americans view the Confederate flag more as a symbol of Southern pride than racism, according to a new poll.

Fifty-seven percent of Americans said they see the flag as evoking Southern pride in the CNN/ORC poll released Thursday, compared to 33 percent who believe it is racist. Those numbers show little movement since a similar poll from 2000.

Seems all that media and Internet noise had little effect. Most in South Carolina want the flag to remain in its current location too.

kahless
07-02-2015, 01:58 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/246744-majority-see-confederate-flag-as-symbol-of-price-not-hate

Seems all that media and Internet noise had little effect. Most in South Carolina want the flag to remain in its current location too.

I was hoping it would be higher for pride from people simply wanting to spit in the face of the news media.

Ronin Truth
07-02-2015, 02:00 PM
"Oh, well that's entirely different. Never mind." -- Emily Litella

Voluntarist
07-02-2015, 02:52 PM
xxxxx

Ronin Truth
07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
And once again the PC 'race card' carries the day. <gag!>

Southron
07-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Lee Bright is pushing for the issue to be brought to popular vote in SC.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-02-2015, 03:05 PM
But also:

The majority of Americans, both black and white, believe that the flag should be removed from all government property except for museums.

If it's a slim majority nationally, it likely means most in the South and in South Carolina do not want it removed. The opinions of people in New York aren't particularly relevant.

SovereignMN
07-02-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm actually surprised by this poll.

Voluntarist
07-02-2015, 04:06 PM
xxxxx

Southron
07-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Then why bring the poll up in the first place - use one from South Carolina

I haven't seen any polls from SC. It doesn't fit the agenda.

Ronin Truth
07-02-2015, 04:16 PM
A symbol of pride (of slavery), not hate (of slavery)?

Voluntarist
07-02-2015, 04:34 PM
xxxxx

acptulsa
07-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Lee Bright is pushing for the issue to be brought to popular vote in SC.

And is he requesting that the actual South Carolina Sovereignty Secession Flag be placed on that ballot as an alternative to the Army of Northern Virginia flag?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/South_Carolina_Sovereignty-Secession_Flag.svg

I think it would be interesting. You can continue to fly a CSA flag--if you don't mind looking at a flag with a crescent on it.

nobody's_hero
07-02-2015, 08:00 PM
So 28% of blacks don't see it as racist. That's about 1 in 4. Kind of surprising that it's that high.

GA ditched its Stars and Bars flag in 2001 and today we have one that closely resembles the CSA national flag.

Flag of the CSA:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg/405px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg.png

GA State Flag:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Flag_of_Georgia_%28U.S._state%29.svg/360px-Flag_of_Georgia_%28U.S._state%29.svg.png

Joke's on you, PC crowd.

Ronin Truth
07-03-2015, 07:50 AM
So 28% of blacks don't see it as racist. That's about 1 in 4. Kind of surprising that it's that high.

GA ditched its Stars and Bars flag in 2001 and today we have one that closely resembles the CSA national flag.

Flag of the CSA:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg/405px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg.png

GA State Flag:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Flag_of_Georgia_%28U.S._state%29.svg/360px-Flag_of_Georgia_%28U.S._state%29.svg.png

Joke's on you, PC crowd.

Dat's jest how de Massah' told dem to vote. ;) :D

Aratus
07-03-2015, 07:51 AM
actually, on the auld Confederate graves, defacto and/or de jure thoughts on the brain, cognicent as i am of the four waves of pardons Andrew Johnson
signed... on old Confederate graves simply fly one of the three very legal and legitimate flags of the Confederacy or even the state flag of the state they
belonged to if the Confederate is truly a Confederate and has died between November of 1860 and March or there about of 1897. I'm using my distant
kinsman's presidency as a cut-off, i'm assuming the Spanish-American War is a cutoff date and that most Confederates either made their separate peace
with the Union or had pensions or were voting quite often after the year 1900.

There were THREE official flags contemporary to when Jefferson Davis had thought himself to be the president of something. One had a RED band or rectangle
and was legal for only a few months. It is after the one that lacks a red band or rectangle, if there was no breeze it was often thought to be asking for a truce or
a surrender. The earliest legit flag looked way to much like Auld Glory. Lets simply find alternatives to the WAR BANNER/FLAG so we can confuse the DAMN Neo-Nazis.

I assume many of the Confederates liked the state flags of the 1800s and 1900s, too. Turns out many Confederates over time got some sort of a pension at the
taxpayers expense. Good Unionists in the North had their own pensions much earlier, due to the political make-up in D.C in Congress and locally concerning each
state that they came from. The legitimacy of the way each Southern gov't exists as a legalism inside what had basically been for all practical purposes Jefferson Davis's
Dixie still somewhat all thru both the Presidential & Congressional Reconstructions presupposes the rebels and their rebellion had not TRULY ceased to be until THE REST
OF CONGRESS accepted the idea that the states and counties and districts of the rather solid South that clearly had been still inside the possibly hypothetically erroneous
notion of Dixie as a state of mind simply again do not "exit ramp" the same NOT UNTIL until they were truly represented one again by a wise and not too corrupt or flaw'd human being in Congress in a manner reflective of the actual voters and the voters who ought to have been voting as in very recently.

This is loosely my take on whut Andy Johnson tried to say as a public official in light of the last public speech he ever made in the U.S Senate that had a theme about
Crony~ism and "GEN'L GRANT" and what to thusly expect down the road.. Lets then have a multiplicity of flags but infer a war pension for service to Jefferson Davis
after the year 1900 deserves a UNION flag on what is basically a Confederate grave for the taxpayer source of the public monies thusly. This is MY humble opine.
We cease this nonsense.

euphemia
07-03-2015, 07:53 AM
No kidding. People need to get a history lesson. We had flags before the current stars and stripes one. The Confederacy was a separate nation, and had its own flag.

States have their own flags. Tennessee's flag is nice.

FloralScent
07-03-2015, 08:51 AM

Which is actually the "Stars and Bars".

muh_roads
07-03-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm still waiting for the star of david to appear as the 51st star on the main flag.