PDA

View Full Version : How to win over a Clinton fan?

StephenTC
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey guys and girls,

So one of my close friend's roommates is a political science major and a Clinton fanatic. Just knowing someone who supports that corrupt politician makes my blood boil. I'm trying not to be mean so that I can peacefully and PROPERLY show her the bad parts of Clinton, and enlighten her on Ron Paul.

This really goes for convincing anyone who is a Clinton fanatic. What do you all recommend?

Should I just not waste my time, and focus on the bigger picture? I mean for a political science major I don't think she even knows about RP and she's not really active (politically) enough to vote in the primaries or promote a candidate (Other than random fanatically calls for hillary, with no substance of course).

hawkeyenick
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
most of them are anti-war and think she is too

bring up her voting record...she's not anti-war

Ron Paul Fan
12-05-2007, 02:08 PM
If she's against the war and for protecting civil liberties then you can point out the contrast in voting records- Iraq vote, Iran vote, patriot act vote. Hillary- YEA to all, Paul- NAY to all. Send her some good Ron Paul youtube videos to get her started on Ron Paul.

reaver
12-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Mostly the people who support Clinton are big on healthcare and free stuff. Just tell her my resturaunt goes out of business if minimum wage is raised above $7.25 along with the twelve other mom & pop resturaunts in my town. Then we will only be able to eat off the McDonalds $3 menu.

Just Come Home
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Just tell them that Clinton is in the bag, and that they need to help fix the republican party by nominating Ron Paul. Tell them not only are they ensuring a Clinton victory, but they're forcing the Republicans to reconstruct their party at the same time. Of course, DON'T tell them what we all know: Ron Paul would throttle Clinton.

dude58677
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Mostly the people who support Clinton are big on healthcare and free stuff. Just tell her my resturaunt goes out of business if minimum wage is raised above $7.25 along with the twelve other mom & pop resturaunts in my town. Then we will only be able to eat off the McDonalds $3 menu.

The Federal Reserve is the cause of high health care costs. Ron Paul is NOT a neocon and resembles Grover Cleveland more than Bush. Ron Paul wants to end the war on drugs.

Give me liberty
12-05-2007, 02:15 PM
If you want to win over a clinton supporter or fan just say to them that bill clinton bombed serbia for 78 days no with stoping on a christian holiday, and alots of serbs died on that day.

And neo cons keep asking themselfs why does the world hate america:rolleyes:

Remember clinton not only bombed serbia in 1999 but also iraq.

Adamsa
12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Ask her if she wants change.

akovacs
12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Most Clinton supporters I've met are not really rational people. They're the reason she's so high in the polls even though anyone with any bit of political sense would say that she's a poor candidate to run since she's so divisive. Not to slam women, but I've also found many women are supporting her just because of her gender. Many I've met don't even know what she stands for.

Suffice it to say, I don't think you'll get anywhere, but please continue to try.

StephenTC
12-05-2007, 02:20 PM
A problem I'm finding is a lot of young American's are growing up as Democrats because they seriously fear the NeoCon influence, and attribute everything that's happened as Republican. A lot of people are instantly turned off at the world Republican who seem only to be Dem because of their anti war stance...

DeepBlu
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
A problem I'm finding is a lot of young American's are growing up as Democrats because they seriously fear the NeoCon influence, and attribute everything that's happened as Republican. A lot of people are instantly turned off at the world Republican who seem only to be Dem because of their anti war stance...

Totally true. I was in that boat for a few years.

FreeTraveler
12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I've found that when you start talking facts and logic with a Clinton supporter, they tend to stick their fingers in their ears and start chanting "La, la, la, la, la" so they don't risk confusing their position with the truth.

Maverick
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
most of them are anti-war and think she is too

bring up her voting record...she's not anti-war

Yeah, that would be good, but not all of them are completely anti-war either. I'm working with one Clinton supporter who's somewhat hawkish. Thinks the war was a good thing, Saddam had to be removed, the Iraqis are free, world is a better place...blah blah. So, does anyone have any suggestions of what to do in this case?

Also, I tried to push the angle that the Iraq war is just a lot of profiteering by a few companies trying to bank off of Iraqi oil, but she didn't buy it. Seems to me the evidence has been around for awhile, so I think I might not be dealing with a completely rational person here :rolleyes:

Arek
12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
The thing that swung the mid term election in favor of the Dems was anti-war which they've done nothing for. So just state Hillary won't end the war and show her voting record as many other posters have suggested. Then again most Hillary supporters defy logic so you may be called a liar.

I was actually leaning towards registering Democrat once, but what had me register republican was the fact we have so many Republican clubs in this area of Maryland. I've convinced my parents to at least vote for Ron Paul in the primary. (They're registered Republican but usually vote Democrat in the general.) After this election I'll probably register Libertarian. Funny thing is between 33%-43% of registered voters are registered independently from Democrat and Republicans. So I believe it's possible for a third party candidate to win a general election if they have the exposure.

Goldwater Conservative
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Does this person value national social programs so much that it outweighs their concern for civil liberties and opposition to the war? On the latter two points, Paul is THE best candidate for mainstream Democrats (that is, those who don't want one world government). Besides, even on domestic policy, he'd have to deal with an opposition Congress for at least two years, so the "worst" that would happen is that there wouldn't be growth in already existing federal social programs, and even if he had a GOP Congress he'd want to transition away from said programs without throwing dependents out on the street or depriving states and localities of their right (and financial resources) to have such programs. Clinton might expand the welfare state at the national level, but she won't end the war before 2013, supports the "Patriot" Act, she has shown bad judgment before (unlike our man Paul, who voted against the war and warned of its consequences).

fortilite
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
- Helped lead us into Iraq
- The Patriot Act
- Has raised more special interest money than ANY other candidate
- After Bush, aren't you sick of legacies?
- Compromised with Bush constantly
- Does not talk about our debt problem, no plan for elminiating or even reducing deficit

kevinblack
12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
This has worked for me:

http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/2007/10/will-hillary-cl.html

"Iran must conform to its nonproliferation obligations and must not be permitted to build or acquire nuclear weapons. If Iran does not comply with its own commitments and the will of the international community, all options must remain on the table. "

All options here means "Unprovoked, nuclear strike on Iran"! not because they threaten to attack us but because they don't do what we tell them?

Then I follow up with this video, you have to remember that Hillary voted yes to the war on Iraq at this time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TZ5cpaPlf4 (This video needs more views! send it to the top)

emilysdad
12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey guys and girls,

So one of my close friend's roommates is a political science major and a Clinton fanatic. Just knowing someone who supports that corrupt politician makes my blood boil. I'm trying not to be mean so that I can peacefully and PROPERLY show her the bad parts of Clinton, and enlighten her on Ron Paul.

This really goes for convincing anyone who is a Clinton fanatic. What do you all recommend?

Should I just not waste my time, and focus on the bigger picture? I mean for a political science major I don't think she even knows about RP and she's not really active (politically) enough to vote in the primaries or promote a candidate (Other than random fanatically calls for hillary, with no substance of course).

Tell your friend to google "the real Hillary Clinton", then read for a week, or, she can continue living large while grazing.

StephenTC
12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
So, she just told me this. I was right about the youth growing up as dems ;-). It makes me so frustrated, like there is tension flowing through me... I'll try and be civil though... for R. Paul.

She says (messaged me) "honorable people don't attract republicans :)"

fortilite
12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Ron Paul being nominated would push the NeoCons out of the race! All Clinton fans should love that line.

Hook
12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
There are lots of people that would be receptive. I would maximize my return on investment and work on them instead of trying to convince someone that has already made up their mind. You aren't going to convince someone that has already decided, because that would make it look like they lost an argument.