PDA

View Full Version : Survey Says: 35 Percent of Americans Would Expatriate

DamianTV
07-02-2015, 02:11 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102799503

As the Fourth of July weekend looms and Americans prep their grills and ready their fireworks, some citizens are packing their bags.

A recent online poll of more than 2,000 adults by TransferWise, a peer-to-peer money transfer service based in the United Kingdom, revealed that 35 percent of American-born residents and emigrants would consider leaving the United States to live in another country.

This percentage greatly increases for those age 18 to 34. More than half of millennials, a whopping 55 percent, said that they would consider leaving the U.S. for foreign shores. Among them, 43 percent of men and 38 percent of women noted that a higher salary would be a factor in their relocation decision.

While a high percentage of Americans would entertain the idea of expatriation, only .001 percent of the population actually renounced citizenship in 2014.

Full article on link.

Ronin Truth
07-02-2015, 03:42 AM
And I really wish that they would. We'd probably all be much happier with them all gone.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-02-2015, 10:01 AM
You could work for 10 years here, save every penny, then be set for life in a small asian country like Thailand or Vietnam. Ever hear about neighbors who worked here for 20 years or something moving back to their old country? That's because they're smart and retiring at 40, while us idiots work for our entire lives to eat cat food and rolls from 70 to RIP

Zippyjuan
07-02-2015, 02:36 PM
So it was an online poll at a website for people who transfer money to the UK. Doesn't sound very representative.

Gallop poll from 2013:

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/lietubl23emg4g4nul4nlq.gif

http://www.gallup.com/poll/160694/desire-leave-mexico.aspx
(chart was for poll of both those in Mexico and those in the US- hence the Mexican data too)

The OP article noted:

While a high percentage of Americans would entertain the idea of expatriation, only .001 percent of the population actually renounced citizenship in 2014.

Ronin Truth
07-02-2015, 03:19 PM
How about a ZERO income tax bill for the year in order to help defray the costs of getting the hell out?

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-02-2015, 04:46 PM
How about a ZERO income tax bill for the year in order to help defray the costs of getting the hell out?

hah, if you get out they'll still want you to send your income taxes from overseas

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2015, 04:54 PM
And I really wish that they would. We'd probably all be much happier with them all gone.

Are you sure about that? The ones who would expatriate are probably more like you and me than the 'Merica worshippin' statists who would stay behind and go down with this sinking ship. If they all leave, you're stuck with the statists.

Tbh, your post reminds me of the flag-toting rednecks who say "If you don't like 'merica, then yew kin git owt!!"

Christian Liberty
07-02-2015, 05:25 PM
If ANY country in the earth ever becomes explicitly Christian (and by that I mean in actuality and not just in name only) that will be where I am going.

But, as of now, go where? and, why? I'm not saying that America is objectively the best place or that everyone should want to live there, but to be honest, any alternatives seem even worse. Which says something about our modern world. In many ways I wish I could have lived a few hundred years ago :p

Carlybee
07-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Sometimes it's tempting to go to Ecuador or someplace like that.

Dianne
07-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Are you sure about that? The ones who would expatriate are probably more like you and me than the 'Merica worshippin' statists who would stay behind and go down with this sinking ship. If they all leave, you're stuck with the statists.

Tbh, your post reminds me of the flag-toting rednecks who say "If you don't like 'merica, then yew kin git owt!!"

I agree with you. Believe me, if I had a passport I would probably blow this pop stand for Chile or Ecuador in a heartbeat. This country is not the one I grew up in. It is going to hell on free fall. Most of the ex pat forums I have visited, are those who probably posted on this board in years past. They seem to be mostly libertarian in view, realizing the USA is now under tyrannical rule and getting worse each month. What's not to leave? The USA is my home country, I will always have a deep place in my heart for what it once was. All good things come to an end, evidenced by the U.S.A. I don't even recognize this country any more, and I lived here for 62 years.

Zippyjuan
07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/apply.html

PaulConventionWV
07-03-2015, 03:10 AM
If ANY country in the earth ever becomes explicitly Christian (and by that I mean in actuality and not just in name only) that will be where I am going.

But, as of now, go where? and, why? I'm not saying that America is objectively the best place or that everyone should want to live there, but to be honest, any alternatives seem even worse. Which says something about our modern world. In many ways I wish I could have lived a few hundred years ago :p

ANY alternative is worse than America? If that's not saying that America is the best, then I don't know what is. Sure, they're all bad, but you don't even seem to have given any consideration to what other countries are actually like. You just assume they're all worse. I've been in China for a couple of months now and I like it, even though I'm understandably culture-shocked and a bit homesick, but the system is, on average, an improvement on America's fascist control grid mentality.

Ronin Truth
07-03-2015, 05:56 AM
200 million > 300 million.

DamianTV
07-04-2015, 03:20 AM
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/apply.html

Right. Good call. Because Govt grants ALL Permissions and LEAVING is now a Permission for the US Govt to grant. Wait, you mean the fences arent to keep illegals out, but keep us in? Welcome to the USSA folks.

Ronin Truth
07-04-2015, 03:59 AM
I SWAG that the current US population is just about twice the optimum size, to me, and it's really continuing to show. :(

Minus 35%, voluntarily, seems likes a pretty good reduction start.

Zippyjuan
07-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Right. Good call. Because Govt grants ALL Permissions and LEAVING is now a Permission for the US Govt to grant. Wait, you mean the fences arent to keep illegals out, but keep us in? Welcome to the USSA folks.

The passport is not required by the US to leave the country but you may need it to get back it and the country you are going to may require one to get in. I can go to Mexico without one or Canada but need it to re-enter the United States to show I am a citizen. If you don't care about coming back, you don't need one in many cases.

timosman
07-04-2015, 12:27 PM
If you don't care about coming back, you don't need one in many cases.

I would argue this is a very inconvenient way to travel and definitely would not result in an improvement over the current situation, whatever that situation might be.

Zippyjuan
07-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I would agree. For all of our faults (there is no utopia anywhere except in dreams), this is still one of the best places in the world.