PDA

View Full Version : TV Land Pulls 'The Dukes of Hazzard' From Programming Schedule

AuH20
07-01-2015, 01:34 PM
To join the Little Rascals in the misfit programming locker..............

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/01/good-news-americans-now-safe-from-confederate-flag-imagery-in-dukes-of-hazzard-reruns-on-tv-land/comment-page-1/#comments

OMG. So funny.

There’s already a new replacement show in the works:

The D1cks Of Hazzard.

A Chrysler Sebring with a rainbow flag on the roof.

Bishop on July 1, 2015 at 2:11 PM

CaptUSA
07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
This is how they can get back on the air...

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11665622_10152953788106623_2303002029418597396_n.j pg?oh=9fedba03925420b1d6cee1bc45878373&oe=56194B5B

Posted in the pictures thread a few days ago. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?448000-Bestest-picture-thread-evaar!-(The-trilogy)&p=5906587#post5906587

specsaregood
07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm gonna petition to get Alf reruns taken off the air. I find the word "alien" offensive to our many immigrants to this country.

CaptUSA
07-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm gonna petition to get Alf reruns taken off the air. I find the word "alien" offensive to our many immigrants to this country.

I find Happy Days offensive. How dare TV remind us of times when things weren't so shitty... Where you could put 2 kids through college on a hardware store salary... Where you could get chicks by snapping your fingers and pounding on the jukebox...

It's like TVLand is rubbing it in our faces!

AuH20
07-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Two sets of rules...

http://thehayride.com/2015/07/liberal-logic-dukes-of-hazzard-is-racist-but-rappers-rocking-confederate-flag-is-art/

specsaregood
07-01-2015, 01:52 PM
I find Happy Days offensive. How dare TV remind us of times when things weren't so shitty... Where you could put 2 kids through college on a hardware store salary... Where you could get chicks by snapping your fingers and pounding on the jukebox...

It's like TVLand is rubbing it in our faces!

Are you suggesting that our culture has officially "jumped the shark"?

AuH20
07-01-2015, 01:53 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3145021/End-war-South-flag-beautiful-not-racist-says-whiskey-bootlegger-inspired-Dukes-Hazzard-flies-proudly.html

CaptUSA
07-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Are you suggesting that our culture has officially "jumped the shark"?

Ooooh... You deserve a neg rep for that...

William Tell
07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Unbelievable.

donnay
07-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Cancel TV Land.

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 03:27 PM
I hope all the pussies who chose to applaud censorship are happy.

sparebulb
07-01-2015, 03:34 PM
I've gotten even with TV Land several years ago by shit-canning cable.

Let them self-censor themselves into oblivion.

It's all METV, AntennaTV, ThisTV, and GRIT over the old antenna for me.

Or until they tax over the air tv like they do in the rest of the world.

Southron
07-01-2015, 03:34 PM
It's almost like the same people running D.C. also run these corporations.....

timosman
07-01-2015, 03:43 PM
It's almost like the same people running D.C. also run these corporations.....

shhhh.... don't tell anyone ....

acptulsa
07-01-2015, 04:11 PM
About time! I've been offended by that show since it premiered!

If I never again see another film clip of a 1969 Dodge Charger being destroyed by stunt drivers that will still be too soon!

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 04:23 PM

acptulsa
07-01-2015, 04:25 PM

But those aren't about slavery!

Unless, of course, you a ho.

Origanalist
07-01-2015, 04:46 PM

Origanalist
07-01-2015, 04:48 PM
I would cancel cable, if I had it....

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 06:07 PM
TVLand is owned by Viacom which also owns BET. Surprise surprise. They're getting grief on their FB page.

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 06:07 PM
But those aren't about slavery!

Unless, of course, you a ho.

It ain't easy bein' a ho.

nobody's_hero
07-01-2015, 07:15 PM
TVLand is owned by Viacom which also owns BET. Surprise surprise. They're getting grief on their FB page.

I wonder why BET isn't offensive. I mean, a whole television network specifically for black people? Hello?

Okay for me but not for thee?

heavenlyboy34
07-01-2015, 07:57 PM
I wonder why BET isn't offensive. I mean, a whole television network specifically for black people? Hello?

And Telemundo!

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 07:59 PM

It's only racist if it's against blacks. It's okay if it's against whites. Get with the program!

specsaregood
07-01-2015, 08:02 PM

Ever seen CMT?

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Petition to un-ban Dukes of Hazzard.

https://www.change.org/p/viacom-warner-brothers-walmart-ebay-stop-banning-dukes-of-hazzard?recruiter=328287114&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 08:04 PM
For the record I've never even watched the show but it's the principle involved.

CaptUSA
07-01-2015, 08:05 PM
I don't know where all this is heading, but if they start banning Daisy Duke's, I'm a be pissed!

specsaregood
07-01-2015, 08:07 PM
For the record I've never even watched the show but it's the principle involved.

The elected officials are corrupt and the police are bumbling idiot bootlickers of his. I can see why some would want it banned.

wizardwatson
07-01-2015, 08:11 PM

When blacks are racist it's affirmative action and reparations. It's culture!

Blacks can't use white's bathroom? Racist.
Whites can't use blacks word? Cultural.

AuH20
07-01-2015, 08:11 PM

It's basically about a family of whiskey bootleggers who constantly thwart the designs of a corrupt local commissioner.

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 08:14 PM
It's basically about a family of whiskey bootleggers who constantly thwart the designs of a corrupt local commissioner.

I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years. My Canadian hubby loves it.

I guess Smoky and the Bandit will be next because the TA has a rebel flag on the license plate.

heavenlyboy34
07-01-2015, 08:24 PM
This whole ordeal makes me wish I'd saved all my DoH merchandise and toys. They'd probably sell for uber FRNs now. :( /facepalm @ self.

Aratus
07-01-2015, 08:47 PM
There were times when Sorrel Booke's charmingly corrupt and somewhat clueless small town Southern politician
had its echoes of Broderick Crawford's Willie Stark in ALL THE KING'S MEN. He was a rather good character actor.
One highlight of the show was the stunts, usually the car was airborne for minutes in slow motion jumps that tended
to defy Newtonian physics on a regular basis. The two male leads were definitely "himbo bimbos" and lets not start
on the drool factor for the guys in tv~land when "Daisy Duke" was onscreen. There was no true gravitas behind the plot,
the leads upon maturing did get more sophisticated roles, but then TV had a warehousing wasteland quality anyway,
and the show was very "PG" or almost Disney~esque on a weekly basis. I liked Sgt. Schultz in HOGAN's HEROES for
just about the same reasons I liked BOSS HOGG, they'd actually make the leads look better than they were! Same goes
for Doctor Smith on LOST IN SPACE! Again, sometimes we take the better character actors for granted, inside a comedy.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/15/arts/sorrell-booke-a-tv-actor-64-was-boss-hogg.html

Sorrell Booke, a film, television and stage actor whose best-known role was that of Boss Hogg, the flamboyant, bumbling mayor in the television series "The Dukes of Hazzard," died on Friday at his home in Sherman Oaks, Calif. He was 64.

The cause was colon cancer, said his daughter, Alexandra.

Born in Buffalo, Mr. Booke began his acting career there at the age of 9 in local radio programs, where he made a specialty of playing aged gentlemen. A graduate of Columbia University, he received an Master of Fine Arts from the Yale School of Drama.

His first Off Broadway part, in "The White Devil" in 1955, led to a television role on "Omnibus." The following year, Mr. Booke made his Broadway debut in the 1956 production of "The Sleeping Prince." In Films and TV Series

He later won favorable notices from critics for his role as the unreconstructed Ol' Cap'n Cotchipee in "Purlie Victorious" on Broadway in 1961, recreating the role in the 1963 film version, "Gone Are the Days." Among his other Broadway shows were "Nature's Way," "The Gay Felons," "Heartbreak House," "Caligula," "Finian's Rainbow," "Fiorello," "The White House," "Come Live With Me" and "Morning, Noon and Night."

Mr. Booke appeared on dozens of television shows and series through the years, including "Dr. Kildare," "Hawaii Five-O," "Cannon," "The Rockford Files," "Little House on the Prairie," "Operation Petticoat," "Owen Marshall," "Room 222," "Naked City," "Rich Man, Poor Man," "The Bob Newhart Show," "All in the Family," "Police Story," "Columbo," "Kung Fu" and "Gunsmoke."

His feature films included "Fail-Safe," "Up the Down Staircase," "Bye Bye Braverman," "What's Up Doc?" "The Bank Shot," "Freaky Friday" and "The Other Side of Midnight."

Mr. Booke's marriage, to the former Miranda Knickerbocker, ended in divorce.

In addition to his daughter, of Los Angeles, he is survived by a son, Nicholas Booke
of Irvington, N.Y.; a brother, Frederick, also of Los Angeles, and a grandson.

Photo: Sorrell Booke (CBS, 1980)

kahless
07-01-2015, 08:49 PM
They are just moving to the next level for shows that had an all white cast in the past to be banned since it sends the wrong message.

The only shows allowed will be those that are inclusive following the typical model we see on TV every day. The formula for each show to have a racially diverse cast including gay characters as a requirement. The hetero white males characters portrayed as ignorant and irresponsible. White gay characters as morally superior. Christian white males or rural white males as racist and ignorant.

Black characters shown as morally superior and "cool", that mock or educate the foolish white guy. An unusually high ratio of white females in relationships with black characters or Lesbian characters that are held in high esteem compared to black couples or white couples. In other words preaching to both blacks and whites that mixed couples and gay couples is what we should aspire to.

This is not simply about the Confederate flag or the Dukes of Hazzard TV show. The Progressive agenda is white genocide long term through intermixing. This starts with white cultural genocide and propaganda as I described. This is truly the real racism in this country.

AuH20
07-01-2015, 09:00 PM
They are just moving to the next level for shows that had an all white cast in the past to be banned since it sends the wrong message.

The only shows allowed will be those that are inclusive following the typical model we see on TV every day. The formula for each show to have a racially diverse cast including gay characters as a requirement. The hetero white males characters portrayed as ignorant and irresponsible. White gay characters as morally superior. Christian white males or rural white males as racist and ignorant.

Black characters shown as morally superior and "cool", that mock or educate the foolish white guy. An unusually high ratio of white females in relationships with black characters or Lesbian characters that are held in high esteem compared to black couples or white couples. In other words preaching to both blacks and whites that mixed couples and gay couples is what we should aspire to.

This is not simply about the Confederate flag or the Dukes of Hazzard TV show. The Progressive agenda is white genocide long term through intermixing. This starts with white cultural genocide and propaganda as I described. This is truly the real racism in this country.

Correct. None of this is by accident.

puppetmaster
07-01-2015, 09:06 PM
I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years. My Canadian hubby loves it.

I guess Smoky and the Bandit will be next because the TA has a rebel flag on the license plate. shhh don't rely anyone....Damn let the cat out of the bag....

puppetmaster
07-01-2015, 09:09 PM
This whole ordeal makes me wish I'd saved all my DoH merchandise and toys. They'd probably sell for uber FRNs now. :( /facepalm @ self. I have a vintage TV tray with the cast and the flag on it.... I looks almost new also. Wonder if I should sell it? Can't sell on ebay right?

CPUd
07-01-2015, 10:05 PM
I remember there was a PC craze back in the 90's. Just about every week someone would be raising hell about whatever Damon Wayans did the previous weekend. After the Handyman movie, I think he agreed to stop doing that character, but not sure if those skits got pulled form the reruns, too. No way something like this would be done today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJj44QRmXyM

AuH20
07-01-2015, 10:17 PM
I remember there was a PC craze back in the 90's. Just about every week someone would be raising hell about whatever Damon Wayans did the previous weekend. After the Handyman movie, I think he agreed to stop doing that character, but not sure if those skits got pulled form the reruns, too. No way something like this would be done today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJj44QRmXyM

OMG. So unPC and freaking hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrpOTsipOzQ

Carlybee
07-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Just amazes me no one seemed to have any issues with this show before the church shooting.

CPUd
07-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Just amazes me no one seemed to have any issues with this show before the church shooting.

It was sorta acknowledged/made fun of it in the remake movie. There was a scene where they pull the General Lee up to a stoplight in Atlanta, some black dudes in a SUV in the next lane; I think it was Luke who popped out of the window and asked them for directions. Then he had an oops moment when he looked down at the rebel flag on the roof and realized why they were getting dirty looks.

nobody's_hero
07-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Ever seen CMT?

Country music television?

Black entertainment television?

I don't see the connection you tried to make. Country is a style of music, not a race. See Darius Rucker.

Now if there was a network called "White pride network", yeah, there'd be an equal. And I'm sure it would be yelled down immediately by the PC crowd while not one hair of an eyebrow were raised about B.E.T. Not that anyone should care about either one, but when there's a double-standard I can form an opinion on matters of inconsequence mighty quick.

FloralScent
07-02-2015, 09:38 PM

In an article headlined "Breed War Strain Out of Germans" in the New York daily newspaper P.M., January 4, 1943, Ernest Hooton laid out an "outbreeding" plan that would "destroy German nationalism and aggressive ideology while retaining and perpetuating desirable German biological and sociological capacities." (See also: Benjamin Colby, ‘Twas a Famous Victory, 1974, p. 131.) The Harvard University professor's proposal called for genetically transforming the German nation by encouraging mating of German women with non-German men, who would be brought into the country in large numbers, and of German men, forcibly held outside of Germany, with non-German women. Ten to twelve million German men would be assigned to forced labor under Allied supervision in countries outside of Germany to rebuild their economies. "The objects of this measure," wrote Dr. Hooton, "include reduction of the birthrate of 'pure' Germans, neutralization of German aggressiveness by outbreeding and denationalization of indoctrinated individuals."
This plan, Hooton estimated, would require at least 20 years to be implemented. "During this period," he went on, "encourage also the immigration and settlement in the German states of non-German nationals, especially males."

A plan for a more compliant breed of cattle.

:mad:

cindy25
07-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Dukes not even set in the Confederacy, but in Kentucky (in Massie's district)

but unless Warner blocks any airing (similar to Disney blocking Song of the South) and CBS blocking Amos and Andy it will be up to piratebay and other torrent/download sites to show banned programs

FloralScent
07-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Dukes not even set in the Confederacy, but in Kentucky (in Massie's district)

but unless Warner blocks any airing (similar to Disney blocking Song of the South) and CBS blocking Amos and Andy it will be up to piratebay and other torrent/download sites to show banned programs

Even though there is a Hazard county Kentucky, I'm pretty sure The Dukes was set in Georgia.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
07-02-2015, 11:30 PM
not one hair of an eyebrow were raised about B.E.T.

BOONDOCKS did an episode savaging BET and its executives for the channel's effects on black culture. The episode was banned from TV but leaked to the Internet.

William Tell
07-02-2015, 11:41 PM

specsaregood
07-02-2015, 11:58 PM
Country music television?
Black entertainment television?
I don't see the connection you tried to make. Country is a style of music, not a race. See Darius Rucker.

Come on now, there are about as many black folk on CMT as there are white folk on BET. And I'd wager Eminem has appeared on BET more than a few times.

nobody's_hero
07-03-2015, 01:57 AM
Come on now, there are about as many black folk on CMT as there are white folk on BET. And I'd wager Eminem has appeared on BET more than a few times.

Suit yourself.

I still say if anyone tried to start up a network called "White Entertainment Television", it wouldn't last five minutes, if that, before the PC crowd ripped it to shreds..

puppetmaster
07-03-2015, 03:51 AM
Come on now, there are about as many black folk on CMT as there are white folk on BET. And I'd wager Eminem has appeared on BET more than a few times. the name is what the main issue is.

Suzanimal
07-03-2015, 04:31 AM
Even though there is a Hazard county Kentucky, I'm pretty sure The Dukes was set in Georgia.

Correct. It was set in Hazzard Co, GA. Which, btw, is a fictional county in GA.

Aratus
07-03-2015, 05:52 AM
Correct. It was set in Hazzard Co, GA. Which, btw, is a fictional county in GA.

is there a Hazzard Co. KY? again, keep in mind there is a Springfield Illlinois as well as a Springfield Massachusetts?
i agree poor SORREL BOOKE's chararacter is somebody our LIBERTY HOBBIT could end up becoming sorta like in about
thirty years were he to be elected to public office somewhere and go rapidly bald. if you look at whut BOSS HOGG does,
namely turn each town and village into a speed trap for all outsiders who go above 15 miles an hour as they ignore the
confusingly posted road signs, he actually is a rather admirable Southern JACKSONIAN Democrat who excells at the sport
of raising revenue without upping the tax rate. Each episode had basically a "G" or "PG" rating, but they made it look like
you could stunt drive all over the backroads of the county without having to take THY automobile into the local garage for
repairs on a weekly basis. seriously. speedddding tickets. defying newonian physics. or even driving home why cars have the
shock absorbers installed that they do. there is a recent movie about prohibition that is way more realistic but awfully bloody in
its own way. http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/news/local/bondurant-family-has-mixed-emotions-about-lawless/article_a19df761-3a24-50c6-bdb2-f2b98b90f604.html I don't blame the family for noticing the fiction inside LAWLESS.
we also might namedrop ROBERT MITCHUM in THUNDER ROAD as we go into how obvious & simple the story arc for the series was.
http://www.rockremembers.com/2008/10/ballad-of-thunder-road-robert-mitchum.html Frankly, the better footage of the GEN'L LEE in my own often humble opinion
is the neat footage where you can't see the gosh darn friggin flag on itz roof! seriously said. that car usually went 20 or 30 or 40 feet in
the air on a weekly basis. i almost wish i had a montage of the stunt-driving. i'm surprised they didn't often kill any of the stunt people.

Suzanimal
07-03-2015, 05:58 AM
is there a Hazzard Co. KY? again, keep in mind there is a Springfield Illlinois as well as a Springfield Massachusetts?
i agree poor SORREL BOOKE's chararacter is somebody our LIBERTY HOBBIT could end up becoming sorta like in about
thirty years were he to be elected to public office somewhere and go rapidly bald. if you look at whut BOSS HOGG does,
namely turn each town and village into a speed trap for all outsiders who go above 15 miles an hour as they ignore the
confusingly posted road signs, he actually is a rather admirable Southern JACKSONIAN Democrat who excells at the sport
of raising revenue without upping the tax rate. Each episode had basically a "G" or "PG" rating, but they made it look like
you could stunt drive all over the backroads of the county without having to take THY automobile into the local garage for
repairs on a weekly basis. seriously. speedding tickets. defying newonian physics. or even driving home why cars have the
shock absorbers installed that they do. there is a recent movie about prohibition that is way more realistic but awfully bloody in
its own way. http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/news/local/bondurant-family-has-mixed-emotions-about-lawless/article_a19df761-3a24-50c6-bdb2-f2b98b90f604.html I don't blame the family for noticing the fiction inside LAWLESS.
we also might namedrop ROBERT MITCHUM in THUNDER ROAD as we go into how obvious & simple the story arc for the series was.
http://www.rockremembers.com/2008/10/ballad-of-thunder-road-robert-mitchum.html Frankly, the better footage of the GEN'L LEE in my own often humble opinion
is the neat footage where you can't see the gosh darn friggin flag on itz roof! seriously said. that car usually went 20 or 30 or 40 feet in
the ir on a weekly basis. i almost wish i had a montage of the stunt-driving. i'm surprised they didn't often kill any of the stunt people.

Nope. There's a Hazard, KY but it's a city.

Aratus
07-03-2015, 06:35 AM
i stand corrected! it still does sorta sound like Boss Hogg didst
wisely "bag" & apply matchin steel wrist bracelets & then jail them
tharrr pesky Duke bros... finally. civil disobediance, indeedy yes!

Aratus
07-03-2015, 06:41 AM
"The Ballad of Thunder Road" - Robert Mitchum, 1957 (folk pop)

Let me tell the story, I can tell it all
About the mountain boy who ran illegal alcohol
His daddy made the whiskey, son, he drove the load
When his engine roared, they called the highway Thunder Road.

Sometimes into Ashville, sometimes Memphis town
The revenoors chased him but they couldn’t run him down
Each time they thought they had him, his engine would explode
He`d go by like they were standin’ still on Thunder Road.

And there was thunder, thunder over Thunder Road
Thunder was his engine, and white lightning was his load
There was moonshine, moonshine to quench the Devil’s thirst
The law they swore they`d get him, but the Devil got him first.

On the first of April, nineteen fifty-four
A Federal man sent word he’d better make his run no more
He said two hundred agents were coverin’ the state
Whichever road he tried to take, they’d get him sure as fate.

Son, his Daddy told him, make this run your last
The tank is filled with hundred-proof, you’re all tuned up and gassed
Now, don’t take any chances, if you can’t get through
I’d rather have you back again than all that mountain dew.

Roarin’ out of Harlan, revvin’ up his mill
He shot the gap at Cumberland, and screamed by Maynordsville
With T-men on his taillights, roadblocks up ahead
The mountain boy took roads that even Angels feared to tred.

Blazing right through Knoxville, out on Kingston Pike,
Then right outside of Bearden, they made the fatal strike.
He left the road at 90; that’s all there is to say.
The devil got the moonshine and the mountain boy that day.

http://www.rockremembers.com/2008/10...t-mitchum.html

.................................................. .................................................. ................

Last month, we catapulted a train off the side of a mountain (well, sort of). For this month's installment of vehicular tragedy, we're sending a car off a mountain cliff at 90 mph.

"The Ballad of Thunder Road", recorded by Robert Mitchum, is actually the theme song for the 1957 film, Thunder Road, which also starred Mitchum. In the movie, Robert Mitchum played a bootlegger in the 1950s named Lucas Doolin who ran moonshine along the local roads at excessive speeds to escape the revenuers. I can hear you thinking, "But I thought this blog was about preservation of fact, not fiction. There are a million fiction songs out there..." and in that you would be correct. But I bet you didn't know that the movie AND the song were inspired by an actual event. Yep, Thunder Road was loosely based on an incident in which a driver was transporting his contraband and was said to have fatally crashed on Kingston Pike in Knoxville, Tennessee, somewhere between Bearden Hill and Morrell Road. Metro Pulse writer Jack Renfro stated that the incident occurred in 1952 and was witnessed by novelist and playwright James Agee, who passed the story on to Mitchum.

The movie, itself, isn't all that far-fetched as far as runnin' 'shine was concerned. Moonshine is any distilled spirit made in an unlicensed still. Yeast ferments a sugar source to produce ethanol, then the alcohol is extracted through distillation using a still. So, what you're putting in your flex-fuel Chevy Tahoe, well, them thar corn squeezin's is the 'zact same stuff...ethanol. Fifty years ago, it was illegal. Now you can buy it for $2.83/gallon at the fuel stop, but I wouldn't recommend drinking it...not then, and not now, either.

While it is true that the government outlawed moonshining because they didn't make any money off of the operation, if they couldn't tax it, it meant that they also couldn't regulate its production. And if there is one thing that the government actually does a pretty good job of, for the most part, it's food and drug regulation. Moonshine was made from all sorts of questionable substances. Any sugar source was used, including fruit or even tree bark (for flavor). Bootleggers' whiskey usually came out of the still at 100 proof. The more pure the alcohol, the greater the risk for alcohol poisoning. Clandestine labs were set up out in the woods where there was no quality control. Contaminants from a poorly run/made still or bad raw materials often led to fatal conditions, which includes lead poisoning from solder joints and methanol poisoning if too much cellulose got into the mixture. The only purity test for the backwoods bootlegger was to pour some of the 'shine in a spoon and light it on fire. If it burned blue, then they said it was OK (it wasn't very accurate, obviously). Moonshine is, however, not illegal if one concedes for the government to collect its share and regulate the production. It's not illegal to make it for yourself...it's illegal to sell it to others.

Moonshining was a highly profitable business, just as the alcohol industry is today. For mountain people, it was often their only source of income, especially during times of war, depression, or whenever the already tough mountain economy got tougher. Moonshining was actually a family business that was often passed down from one generation to the next. Naturally, the 'shiners (who didn't pay the tax) took it as an offense that the government should intervene on the family business. So, if you're going to make booz and sell it, but not pay the government, then you're going to need someone to transport it...someone who can drive good and fast to outrun the cops (because if the cops didn't know about your operation, your squeezin's probably ain't that great). You need a bootlegger.

In the movie, Mitchum drove a hot-rodded '51 Ford 2-door sedan with a custom tank in the back to hide the moonshine. Bootlegger tricks are as old as the hills those cars and trucks drove on. It wasn't enough just to drive a fast car; you had to drive something that could adequately hide your product. There were false bottoms, false fender wells, hidden compartments, and countless other schemes of false this-or-that to hide the whiskey in case you did get caught. But being caught meant going to jail. Without a bootlegger, you can't get your product to your customers (oh yeah, and the law has probably found your still and dismantled it by now, too). No 'shine, no customers...no money.

The bootleggers would do anything and everything they could to make sure that the whiskey made it to the hands of whoever was paying for it. Often, the entire welfare of the family depended on it. To sustain the production, bootleggers would sometimes take incredible risks such driving at top speeds (during times before the DOT knew things about road safety and crash science) and taking the back roads through hazardous terrain that the vehicle wasn't built for. The possibilities for accidents were the same then as they are today, if not greater. Vehicles weren't equipped with modern safety devices such as an anti-lock braking system, traction control, or airbags, which would have been extremely useful for the man who drove off the side of the mountain.

Moonshiners made their place in American history, but in such a way that they became heroes instead of villains. The bootleggers' hot rod vehicles became a hobby for motorists all over the country, not to mention that their heinous driving gave birth to one of the greatest American sports. Since the bootleggers had to outrun the authorities, they had to upgrade their vehicles. They eventually started getting together and making runs with fellow 'shine runners. They soon began to challenge each other, which ultimately lead to nationally organized stock car races, and in 1948 NASCAR was born.

A. Havnes
07-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Guess what? We can get rid of that pesky Gone with the Wind too! http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/gone-with-the-wind-should-go-the-way-of-the-confederate-flag/

Aratus
07-03-2015, 06:51 AM
i am rather fond of Clark Gable's able and better performances. i liked Vivian Leigh in CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA.
i worship the cinematic ground CLAUDE RAINS walk'd on! I admit the Conferderates were often racists and bigots
of the worst sort and do think poor Andrew Johnson was a political Tennessee Scalawag centrist, but i also feel
that Hattie McDaniel's Oscar was well deserved. the acting was top notch by nearly ALL the major players even if
the intend of the politics being spewn onscreen hints at how dark and bleek that bloody chapter is and was. we have
spent either 149 or 150 healing from the gross abuses of both slavery and that bloody war. i think the sweetest days
and hours of Reconstruction as a rough decade were from May/June of 1865 to May/June of 1866 and things then went
downhill at times in both Copperhead & Scalawag terms after the fall election of 1866. I tend to despise stupid censors.

William Tell
07-03-2015, 09:18 AM

07-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Now this PC shit has gone way too far.

Bubba Watson, the golfer owns LEE1. This the car that did the jump in town in the opening credits of the show. It was destroyed in the jump, found and restored recently. He is painting over the flag on the roof.

Bubba was always my favorite golfer to watch, he's also made some interesting you tube videos.

I won't be watching him anymore.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/7/3/8889367/bubba-watson-paint-general-lee-confederate-flag-dukes-of-hazzard

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-03-2015, 01:57 PM
ban everything

GunnyFreedom
07-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Ever seen CMT?

http://reho.st/http://images4.mtv.com/uri/mgid:file:docroot:cmt.com://sitewide/assets/img/events/2011/cmt_music_awards/arrivals/ed_rode/2011_cmt_music_awards_0051-x600.jpg

07-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Lets at least be honest here. Hootie is an anomolie and CMT is lily white. It might as well be WET. Not that there is anything wrong with that or anything wrong with BET. The recent shaming of people who prefer entertainment from their own culture is however, very wrong.

GunnyFreedom
07-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Lets at least be honest here. Hootie is an anomolie and CMT is lily white. It might as well be WET. Not that there is anything wrong with that or anything wrong with BET. The recent shaming of people who prefer entertainment from their own culture is however, very wrong.

Cowboy Troy is not Darius Rucker.

There is also Carl Ray, Scott Eversoll, Milton Patton, Dwight Quick, Trini Triggs, Cleve Francis, Aaron Neville, and Charlie Pride, all of whom have made appearances on CMT. Especially Charlie Pride.

Anti Federalist
07-03-2015, 04:23 PM

And filmed in a Los Angeles backlot

Anti Federalist
07-03-2015, 04:24 PM
ban everything

This man understands freedom.

Hooray for America.

<belch>

Suzanimal
07-03-2015, 04:34 PM
They were just good ol boys. They didn't mean no harm.

Anti Federalist
07-03-2015, 04:45 PM
They were just good ol boys. They didn't mean no harm.

They beat all you ever saw.

They were in trouble with the law since the day they was born.

Suzanimal
07-03-2015, 04:50 PM
They beat all you ever saw.

They were in trouble with the law since the day they was born.

They're makin' their way, the only way they know how but that's just a little bit more than the law will allow.:(

Anti Federalist
07-03-2015, 04:58 PM
They're makin' their way, the only way they know how but that's just a little bit more than the law will allow.:(

Someday the mountain might get them, but the law never will.

Fightin' the system like two modern day Robin Hoods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLhNsTntu2Y

Suzanimal
07-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Looks like I forgot a few lines.:o

Someday the mountain might get them, but the law never will.

Fightin' the system like two modern day Robin Hoods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLhNsTntu2Y

Pauls' Revere
07-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Owner of Gen. Lee to paint over the Confederate Flag. His car, paint it any color he likes, frankly I think its a bad investment move.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/bubba-watson-to-paint-over-confederate-flag-on-general-lee-161935617-golf.html

timosman
07-03-2015, 10:58 PM
http://www.commonsenseevaluation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Evolution-Of-The-American-Left.jpg

nobody's_hero
07-05-2015, 02:32 PM
^^ Pretty accurate political cartoon except 'th' is not the appropriate ending for 21st.

acptulsa
07-05-2015, 02:39 PM
^^ Pretty accurate political cartoon except 'th' is not the appropriate ending for 21st.

What? You didn't know this was the twenty-oneth century?

Pauls' Revere
07-05-2015, 09:09 PM

You insensitive B&$TA*D!! you must hate people with a lisp! (sarc) ;)

AuH20
07-05-2015, 09:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO4gPCpws60