PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma, legal wrangling over 10 commandments

tod evans
07-01-2015, 06:44 AM
Oklahoma Supreme Court rules Ten Commandments statue must be removed

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/01/oklahoma-supreme-court-rules-ten-commandments-statue-must-be-removed/?intcmp=latestnews

An Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that a Ten Commandments monument on the Oklahoma Capitol grounds must be removed because it violates the state’s constitutional ban on using public property to benefit religion.

The court said the Ten Commandments chiseled into the 6-foot-tall granite monument, which was privately funded by a Republican legislator, are “obviously religions in nature and are an integral part of the Jewish and Christian faiths.”

The 7-2 ruling overturns a decision by a district court judge who determined the monument could stay. It prompted calls from several GOP lawmakers for impeachment of the justices who said it must be removed.

Attorney General Scott Pruitt argued that the monument was historical, not religious, in nature and nearly identical to a Texas monument that was found constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Oklahoma justices said the local monument violated the state’s constitution, not the U.S. Constitution.

"Quite simply, the Oklahoma Supreme Court got it wrong," Pruitt said in a statement. "The court completely ignored the profound historical impact of the Ten Commandments on the foundation of Western law."

Pruitt asked for a rehearing and that the monument stays until the court considers his request. Pruitt also asked for a provision in the Oklahoma Constitution that prohibits the use of public funds for religions purposed may need to be repealed.

Ryan Kiesel, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma, which represented the plaintiffs in the case, said Pruitt's suggestion and the calls for impeachment amounted to sour grapes.

"I think the idea that you go about amending the constitution every time you lose a court battle is a dangerous precedent for anyone to engage in, but in particular for the state's highest attorney to do so," Kiesel said. "And the calls for impeachment represent a fundamental misunderstanding of how an independent judiciary functions within our system of democratic government."

Since the original monument was erected in 2012, other groups have asked to put up their own monuments on Capitol grounds. Among the groups asked to put up a monument include a Hindu leader and the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Rep. Mike Ritze, a Republican from Broken Arrow whose family paid about $10,000 for the monument's construction, pushed the bill authorizing the monument. He said he hoped the attorney general would appeal the ruling.

The original monument was smashed into pieces in October, when someone drove a car across the Capitol lawn and crashed into it. A 29-year-old man who was arrested the next day was admitted to a hospital for mental health treatment, and formal charges were never filed.

acptulsa
07-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Attorney General Scott Pruitt argued that the monument was historical, not religious, in nature and nearly identical to a Texas monument that was found constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Oklahoma justices said the local monument violated the state’s constitution, not the U.S. Constitution.

Last I heard, the Oklahoma constitution was so hastily and completely copied from the Texas constitution that it also prohibits hunting whales--even though Oklahoma borders no ocean, sea or gulf...

oyarde
07-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Last I heard, the Oklahoma constitution was so hastily and completely copied from the Texas constitution that it also prohibits hunting whales--even though Oklahoma borders no ocean, sea or gulf...

It is also illegal to hunt whales in Nebraska .

tod evans
07-01-2015, 08:13 AM

If I see a whale grazing in Ne. I'm shooting the damn thing law or no law.......

acptulsa
07-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Well, we do have one beneficiary of that prohibition...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/acptulsa/LIBERTYRIDER017.jpg

presence
07-01-2015, 08:35 AM
it violates the state’s constitutional ban on using public property to benefit religion

issue boils down to: "muh roads"

http://libertarianpapers.org/article/1-hoppe-private-common-and-public-property/

public property does not end conflict and expropriation but institutionalizes them and makes them permanent. Hence arises the imperative of privatization—and hence the principle of restitution, i.e., the notion that public property be returned qua private property to those from whom it had been forcibly taken. That is, public goods should become the private property of those who financed or otherwise funded these goods and who can establish an objective—intersubjectively ascertainable—claim to this effect.

Ronin Truth
07-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Is the Satanic OKC capitol building monument still OK? :rolleyes:

Zippyjuan
07-01-2015, 12:11 PM
What if they wanted to put the Koran in the capital? Would it receive the same support?

acptulsa
07-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Hard to damage something that doesn't exist.

What if they wanted to put the Koran in the capital? Would it receive the same support?

Probably not. A chunk of stone on the lawn requires somewhat more of a foundation than a book in a building.

Why? Do you think apple peelers should be able to peel oranges just as easily?

Ronin Truth
07-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Hard to damage something that doesn't exist.

Who mentioned damage?

Did you happen to drink your lunch today?

JK/SEA
07-02-2015, 08:18 AM

why...was it damaged?

oyarde
07-02-2015, 08:24 AM
If I see a whale grazing in Ne. I'm shooting the damn thing law or no law.......

Of course .

Acala
07-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Correct decision. If the government has so much extra land that it can host private monuments, it needs to sell that extra land. If it refuses to do so, then it needs to host EVERY monument that ANYONE wants to install without regard to what philosophy it promotes. Excerpts from the Marquis de Sade complete with illustrations, for example.

Ronin Truth
07-02-2015, 08:39 AM
why...was it damaged? Not yet, that I'm aware of.

Occam's Banana
07-02-2015, 08:58 AM

One morning I shot a whale in my pajamas ... http://www.perugiamurderfile.org/images/smilies/groucho.gif

Acala
07-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Hold your fire, Mister! The Christie Campaign will be coming through Nebraska eventually.

acptulsa
10-06-2015, 03:37 PM
The Commandments are no longer on the capitol grounds.

Acala
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM

And God, in his wrath, flooded South Carolina.

rg17
10-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Fat people in Whalemart.

bunklocoempire
10-06-2015, 04:26 PM
An Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that a Ten Commandments monument on the Oklahoma Capitol grounds must be removed because it violates the state’s constitutional ban on using public property to benefit religion it is in direct competition with the religion of state.

Who they trying to fool?

invisible
10-06-2015, 05:06 PM

Yup, removed in the dead of night, just before the deadline expired at midnight. I wonder how much overtime and extra pay was required for all those contractors, cops, and whoever else was dragged out there to do the deed late at night, all at taxpayer expense, of course. So much for fiscal conservatism from the Drone Queen, I'll be very glad when she's out in 2018.

Sonny Tufts
10-07-2015, 02:38 PM
According to this morning's paper, the company who built the monument haven't been paid for it.

Acala
10-07-2015, 02:48 PM
According to this morning's paper, the company who built the monument haven't been paid for it.

I find this amusing.