PDA

View Full Version : Brawl breaks out in front of SC Statehouse over Confederate Flag

Carlybee
06-30-2015, 12:21 PM
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2015/06/30/south-carolina-confederate-flag-brawl/

. COLUMBIA, S.C. (CBS Atlanta/AP) — One man has been arrested after a fight over the Confederate flag in front of the South Carolina Statehouse.
The brawl started about 7:15 p.m. Monday when about a dozen vehicles with Confederate flag supporters pulled up in front of the Statehouse and stopped in the middle of the street, Public Safety Department spokeswoman Sherri Iacobelli said in a statement.
About 10 of the flag supporters clashed with about 30 people who were on the Statehouse grounds protesting the flag, the statement said.
“The blood on my face, the blood in my teeth, the blood on my hands is no comparison to the Southern blood that runs through my veins,” Joe Linder told CBS News.
Linder, who was hit during the fight, supports the Confederate flag and says “racism has no part” in it.
“I’m gonna tell you one thing, I ain’t sitting down; this’ll just make me walk taller,” he told CBS News.
About 50 officers responded and contained the clash, including officers from the Bureau of Protective Services assigned to the Statehouse, as well as Columbia police, University of South Carolina officers and the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
Two blocks of the street in front of the Statehouse was closed for a brief time during the disturbance.
Sydney Baldwin told CBS News the fight began when someone took his flag.
“I jumped out of my truck,” Baldwin said. “That was all I did, was grab my flag and I got hit in the side.”
Nicholas Thompson, 25, of Irmo, South Carolina, has been charged with disorderly conduct. It wasn’t clear if he has an attorney.

dannno
06-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Hmm so the anti-free speech people initiated the violence, no surprise.

lol, I wish the KKK/CIA would stay out of it (at the end of the piece the reporter mentioned the KKK would be coming to protest in a couple weeks or something.. I guess they need some time to post some ads on craigslist)

fisharmor
06-30-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure when the real "brawl" and the real "clash" happen, CBS news won't be allowed anywhere near the disenfranchised side.

wizardwatson
06-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Well... it is "pride" month still.

Black pride, southern pride, gay pride. America sure is a proud lady.

Carlybee
06-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Hmm so the anti-free speech people initiated the violence, no surprise.

lol, I wish the KKK/CIA would stay out of it (at the end of the piece the reporter mentioned the KKK would be coming to protest in a couple weeks or something.. I guess they need some time to post some ads on craigslist)

I agree...if anything had to be banned..too bad it couldn't be the KKK. Unfortunately it's going to turn into a circus of rednecks and race baiters and the point will be lost.

Southron
06-30-2015, 01:02 PM
I agree...if anything had to be banned..too bad it couldn't be the KKK. Unfortunately it's going to turn into a circus of rednecks and race baiters and the point will be lost.

You know it's probably mostly Feds that will be there.

tod evans
06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

I are a redneck........:o

Carlybee
06-30-2015, 01:12 PM
I are a redneck........:o

When I say redneck I mean snaggle toothed troglodytes. So we'll see you on the tee vee Tod? :D

AuH20
06-30-2015, 01:14 PM

Hey..... rednecks just need access to sunscreen.

aGameOfThrones
06-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Sydney Baldwin told CBS News the fight began when someone took his flag.
“I jumped out of my truck,” Baldwin said. “That was all I did, was grab my flag and I got hit in the side.”
Nicholas Thompson, 25, of Irmo, South Carolina, has been charged with disorderly conduct. It wasn’t clear if he has an attorney.

We need moar tolerance!!!

asurfaholic
06-30-2015, 02:59 PM
When I say redneck I mean snaggle toothed troglodytes. So we'll see you on the tee vee Tod? :D

Are snaffle toothed troglodytes not people too?

donnay
06-30-2015, 03:08 PM
If only people would smarten up and realized they are being played like a fiddle. *Sigh*

enhanced_deficit
06-30-2015, 03:11 PM
This is not how Freedom marches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDw8J_cxqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDw8J_cxqg

"There is no white America, there is no black America.. there is only United States of America" -- Around 2007, DDG before election win.

RonPaulIsGreat
06-30-2015, 03:34 PM
Symbol worship. Don't care. I'm not southern and only a U.S. citizen by happenstance of birth. Fight, Fight, Fight, a black and white. Have fun, kill each other please. I'm gonna surf the internet and cook some french fried taters.

Carlybee
06-30-2015, 04:19 PM
Are snaffle toothed troglodytes not people too?

I think you all know what I mean. KKK types would fit in this category. I come from a long line of Scots Irish North Carolinians and I was born in Texas so I feel I can put my own interpretation on the term redneck.

phill4paul
06-30-2015, 05:25 PM
I would really like to see the Sons of Confederate Veterans and re-enactors in southern uniforms, along with members from the AME church, meet them in a counter protest. But, it probably won't happen.

tod evans
06-30-2015, 06:00 PM
I would really like to see the Sons of Confederate Veterans and re-enactors in southern uniforms, along with members from the AME church, meet them in a counter protest. But, it probably won't happen.

Ya mean like this dude?

http://www.knoxvilledailysun.com/news/2014/may/h-k-edgerton.jpg

phill4paul
06-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Ya mean like this dude?

http://www.knoxvilledailysun.com/news/2014/may/h-k-edgerton.jpg

Yup. I'd pitch in for a fund to get H.K. Edgerton.

tod evans
06-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Yup. I'd pitch in for a fund to get H.K. Edgerton.

Dude's got his shit together..

http://www.southernheritage411.com/

Occam's Banana
07-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Brawl breaks out in front of SC Statehouse over Confederate Flag

Oh. It was just some protestestors going after each other.

Was anyone else disappointed that this story wasn't about some hack politician attacking some other hack politician (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner)?

nobody's_hero
07-01-2015, 07:20 PM

Same here. They have as much a right to protest as anyone else but they aren't really helping if their goal is to protect the flag.

FloralScent
07-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Same here. They have as much a right to protest as anyone else but they aren't really helping if their goal is to protect the flag.

Seeing as they're Feds, I doubt that's their goal at all.

heavenlyboy34
07-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Symbol worship. Don't care. I'm not southern and only a U.S. citizen by happenstance of birth. Fight, Fight, Fight, a black and white. Have fun, kill each other please. I'm gonna surf the internet and cook some french fried taters.

+rep