PDA

View Full Version : Butting in: NYC mayor wants to stop smoking in private homes

Suzanimal
06-30-2015, 03:15 AM
New Yorkers may soon be unable to smoke in their own homes, as New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is pressing landlords and developers to prohibit residents from lighting up inside apartments.

This comes as part of the de Blasio administration’s efforts to reduce smoking citywide. It recently released a “sustainability blueprint” that outlined the initiative, which involves paying four health advocacy groups $9,000 each to get apartment complexes to ban smoking, reported the New York Post.

City health officials emphasized that the initiative is voluntary, but the same blueprint, titled “One New York: The Plan for a Strong and Just City,” also said that de Blasio is moving towards legislation that would require apartment buildings to create a smoking policy and “disclose it to residents and prospective residents.”

“Everyone benefits from smoke-free housing. Residents enjoy breathing cleaner, healthier air in their homes ... while owners see reductions in property damage and turnover costs,” a Health Department spokesman said to the Post.

The Big Apple has already banned smoking in parks and all commercial establishments, a program initiated by former NYC mayor and billionaire Michael Bloomberg. De Blasio seems determined to pick up where his predecessor left off, but regulation concerning smoking in private homes is a new frontier.

De Blasio’s efforts are a part of anti-smoking policies that are gaining ground across the country. California’s Democrat-controlled Senate recently voted to raise the minimum smoking age to 21, and New Orleans passed smoking bans earlier this year that included prohibiting residents from smoking at drive-thrus.

http://rt.com/usa/270568-blasio-stop-smoking-homes/

Ronin Truth
06-30-2015, 03:36 AM
Simple, then just tell the mayor to stop smoking in private homes. Without the owner's permission, smoking is just plain rude.

Tain't no kind of rocket science. :D

tod evans
06-30-2015, 05:20 AM
Anti smoking advocates are possibly the most obnoxious folks on the planet!

I think it's time to show them what real stench is.........

Rear wheel drive cars and manual transmissions up through the 70's use 90 weight gear oil to lubricate their parts, after several thousand miles this stuff really gets ripe.

A pint poured in the pastel covered lap of a social busybody every time they're out in public might spare them from being offended by smokers....:cool:

Anti Federalist
06-30-2015, 06:42 AM
That is wicked.

Rear wheel drive cars and manual transmissions up through the 70's use 90 weight gear oil to lubricate their parts, after several thousand miles this stuff really gets ripe.

A pint poured in the pastel covered lap of a social busybody every time they're out in public might spare them from being offended by smokers....:cool:

luctor-et-emergo
06-30-2015, 07:51 AM

Agreed, anti-smoking advocates are some of the worst people around.

Exhibit-1/2

Some Russian group of douchebags (they call themselves 'stop a douchebag') who harass and assault people to make them quit smoking because 'children could be around'. This is what you get when you combine a corrupt government with government legislating morality. The video's are funny but these people are the definition of a threat to liberty. Putin-Youths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rG-rGFv0dXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4axUZnCMnnM

euphemia
06-30-2015, 07:56 AM
An apartment is not the same as a free standing home. An apartment belongs to the owner, and tenants rent their space. They have to adhere to certain standards, like having carpets above the first floor (for noise abatement), and making sure certain exits are clear. Smoking falls into that category. If you've seen the buildings people call apartments in New York, you know they are a fire waiting to happen.

oyarde
06-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Blasio does not have much work to do does he ?

tod evans
06-30-2015, 08:29 AM
An apartment is not the same as a free standing home. An apartment belongs to the owner, and tenants rent their space. They have to adhere to certain standards, like having carpets above the first floor (for noise abatement), and making sure certain exits are clear. Smoking falls into that category. If you've seen the buildings people call apartments in New York, you know they are a fire waiting to happen.

There are far more house fires started by both cooking and electrical malfunctions than anything somebody has smoked.

Sorry I'm not buying the fire safety argument.

Brian4Liberty
06-30-2015, 09:21 AM
When you live like bees in a hive, there will be a lot of complaints about neighbors. Noise and odors are two of the biggest ones.

Smoke is usually simply an odor, unless there is an actual fire...

My hypothesis is that people are very sensitive to the smell of smoke, for very relevant evolutionary reasons. The misunderstanding is that the concentration required to detect (smell) smoke is very small. It is orders of magnitude less than a concentration that could have a physical effect. It usually is just a mental effect (ie. it is just a complaint).

Of course in enclosed areas, or being directly in the smoke stream, can result in a physical effect.

Carlybee
06-30-2015, 09:39 AM

The company I work for owns apartments. In 20 years I've seen 2 fires. One was arson and one was from someone walking away from a pot of grease cooking. And these apts are 45 years old.

DamianTV
06-30-2015, 09:42 AM
When you elect Health Nazis to office, you end up in a Health Concentration Camp.

donnay
06-30-2015, 09:43 AM
I loathe petty dictators.

Occam's Banana
06-30-2015, 02:41 PM
[A]s part of the de Blasio administration’s efforts to reduce smoking citywide[, it] recently released a “sustainability blueprint” that outlined the initiative, which involves paying four health advocacy groups $9,000 each to get apartment complexes to ban smoking, reported the New York Post.

[...]

“Everyone benefits from smoke-free housing. Residents enjoy breathing cleaner, healthier air in their homes ... while owners see reductions in property damage and turnover costs,” a Health Department spokesman said to the Post.

Oh. Well, then. Thank you, Mr. Health Department Spokesman!

That must explain why it's necessary to pay some people to harass other people into going along with this.

'Coz I mean, you know, when something benefits me, I always have to be badgered into doing it by people who are being paid to pester me about it ...

:rolleyes:

kpitcher
06-30-2015, 06:54 PM
This isn't a city ban, it's just urging apartment building owners to do this. No governmental force just the property owners being asked to do something. I don't see a problem with it.

Did I miss something?

Danke
06-30-2015, 06:56 PM
This isn't a city ban, it's just urging apartment building owners to do this. No governmental force just the property owners being asked to do something. I don't see a problem with it.

Did I miss something?

Would you have a problem if the NSA asked landlords to help them spy on their tenants?

Root
06-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Don't smoke in the home, anyone's business, in the park, or in the car.

What's left?

luctor-et-emergo
06-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Don't smoke in the home, anyone's business, in the park, or in the car.

What's left?

Coffin.

DamianTV
06-30-2015, 07:42 PM

Did I miss something?

Its leveraged using your money / taxpayer money, which can only create an incentive for exploitation. Yeah sure, I'll quit if you give me the $9,000, then I take the money, dont quit, then tell them I need more money. Its all Cheddar to people who dont really give a shit about anyones health or property rights. Bear in mind that the only property rights as far as they are concerned is that we and everything we supposedly own is STILL property of the Govt. This is just Quality Control and WE are the PRODUCT.

Mach
06-30-2015, 08:00 PM
There are far more house fires started by both cooking and electrical malfunctions than anything somebody has smoked.

Ok, limit cooking times, only certain oils and other ingredients allowed in the building and anyone that burns food gets a citation.

Cooking food is polluting the planet!

Dianne
06-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Those idiots voted for him, let them endure the suffering as a result. Maybe next election, they will choose to become more informed.

Brian4Liberty
06-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Ok, limit cooking times, only certain oils and other ingredients allowed in the building and anyone that burns food gets a citation.

Cooking food is polluting the planet!

Yep. Cooking odor is essentially the same thing as cigarette smoke. It can irritate the neighbors, but rarely is it a health hazard.

euphemia
06-30-2015, 09:19 PM

I'm not arguing about whether people should smoke in their houses. I'm saying that DeBlabbio has bigger problems with slumlords than he does with people who smoke.

acptulsa
07-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Did I miss something?

You missed the part where we're talking about the government of the City of New York 'persuading' people. 'Persuasion' has been a euphemism for 'force' in New York City since long, long before you were born.

And you missed the part where apartment renters and condo owners are being treated completely differently.

I'm not arguing about whether people should smoke in their houses. I'm saying that DeBlabbio has bigger problems with slumlords than he does with people who smoke.

Can you imagine the wet dreams he has about the possibilities for the revenue stream he could control when he sees suburbs becoming slums and inner cities becoming 'gentrified'?

He'll do anything he can get away with to encourage that trend. Including, if he can explain it away, launching an all-out war on the poor residents of the city.

Ronin Truth
07-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Should anyone in NYC really be surprised that when you elect a commie, you get a commie? DUH! :rolleyes:

Chomp
07-01-2015, 08:44 AM
We got a clown mayor Bloomberg who abridged adult rights in NYC, age 21, making young adults going to nearby towns like Yonkers to by smokes by cartons. Making other towns stores booming, plus, cigarettes black market in NYC started. Now we got another moron mayor who infringes rights of homes. This is Mob Rule, people !

Chomp
07-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Agreed, anti-smoking advocates are some of the worst people around.

Exhibit-1/2

Some Russian group of douchebags (they call themselves 'stop a douchebag') who harass and assault people to make them quit smoking because 'children could be around'. This is what you get when you combine a corrupt government with government legislating morality. The video's are funny but these people are the definition of a threat to liberty. Putin-Youths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rG-rGFv0dXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4axUZnCMnnM
No Putin's. These are morons who got not business with the president. This youth are the 5th Column, financed by US Libtards.

acptulsa
07-01-2015, 08:55 AM
This is Mob Rule, people !

By mob, are you referring to the residents of the city? Or are you referring to the mafia in city hall?

Chomp
07-01-2015, 09:01 AM
By mob, are you referring to the residents of the city? Or are you referring to the mafia in city hall?
Of course not the New Yorkers ! Yes, NYC damned Liberal City Hall !

DamianTV
07-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Cui bono? Who benefits?

More laws can only produce more criminals to feed into the Prison Industrial Complex. By turning Smokers all into Criminals, you've got an ample supply of fresh meat for their grinder. We are not viewed as people any more, rather products to be harvested. Rembember how we used to be able to spank our children? Those people are now all criminals too. By turning Spankers into Criminals, the exact same thing happens. I long for the days that Govt protected the Rights of the Individual from the demands of the populus. So when society cried out "they shouldnt be 'allowed' to let their kids ride bikes without helmets and body armor", the job of the Govt should have been to defend the Individual. That is not your child and thus is beyond the scope of the perceived authority of both society and the Govt. Self Governance. Self responsibility. Instead, what has happened is society has gotten its wettest dreams, make all of its cries and whimpers heard. They shouldnt be allowed to eat peanuts cuz it might put those with allergies at risk. And that mentality has been taken to the extreme. They shouldnt be 'Allowed' (as if it is their permission to grant) to think / say / do that. Which goes right back to square #1 where the common man is turned into a criminal by both the whims of a society and Govt that thinks it knows how best to rule a mans life at the consequence of turning these common men into criminals with the flip of a pen.

In the land of the unfree, we are all deemed Criminals, and someone is benefitting vastly by doing so.

puppetmaster
07-02-2015, 10:28 AM
http://rt.com/usa/270568-blasio-stop-smoking-homes/

He's just pissed all his tax revenue that was predicted to rise simply vanished. Now jersey gets the cashola

Peace&Freedom
07-02-2015, 10:51 AM
The NYC Charter currently empowers the "authorities" to initiate these kinds of bans--meaning the Mayor or City Council can put in the anti-personal liberty regs we've seen, from smoking to large soda containers (the latter rejected by the courts). Originally the smoking ban was about secondhand smoke in restaurants, then they extended it to smoking clubs (even though all participants agreed to the smoking), then to entire parks, and then to banning e-cigarettes (that don't even release smoke, just water vapor).

In other words, it won't stop at "apartments," the Nazis aim to ban it in all residences. An apartment ban just sets the stage, and allows them time to set up enforcement mechanisms that will later be expanded to all private residences.

Carlybee
07-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Tobacco farms in the south. Tobacco is racist. Ban it.

Ronin Truth
07-02-2015, 11:38 AM
The NYC Charter currently empowers the "authorities" to initiate these kinds of bans--meaning the Mayor or City Council can put in the anti-personal liberty regs we've seen, from smoking to large soda containers (the latter rejected by the courts). Originally the smoking ban was about secondhand smoke in restaurants, then they extended it to smoking clubs (even though all participants agreed to the smoking), then to entire parks, and then to banning e-cigarettes (that don't even release smoke, just water vapor).

In other words, it won't stop at "apartments," the Nazis aim to ban it in all residences. An apartment ban just sets the stage, and allows them time to set up enforcement mechanisms that will later be expanded to all private residences.

Maybe the idea is to eventually empty NYC.

(BTW, that just might be a very good idea.)