PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico unsustainable debt

Pauls' Revere
06-28-2015, 11:04 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-29/puerto-rico-governor-says-debt-is-unpayable-as-deadlines-loom?cmpid=yhoo

With two days left in Puerto Rico’s fiscal year, the cash-strapped commonwealth is struggling to pass a budget that would allow it to make payments on a $72 billion debt load that the island’s governor said is unsustainable.

Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla said investors should be prepared to sacrifice if they want the island’s economy to grow, the New York Times reported, citing an interview last week.

“The debt is not payable,” the governor told the Times. “There is no other option.”

Some Puerto Rican bonds are trading near record lows as the island of 3.5 million people grapples with a jobless rate double the national average and a debt load bigger than every U.S. state except California and New York. The governor’s remarks land in a jittery global debt market, as investors weigh the possibility of a Greek default and exit from the euro zone.

“There is no U.S. precedent for anything of this scale and scope, and there is the added complication of extensive pledging of specific revenue streams to specific debts,” they wrote. “But difficult or not, the projections are clear that the issue can no longer be avoided.”

The U.S. Congress should allow Puerto Rico entities to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection, and an independent fiscal-oversight board could help improve the island’s finances, the authors wrote.

and now...Puerto Rico.

TaftFan
06-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Sell them.

Origanalist
06-28-2015, 11:34 PM
Is there a tipping point?

ghengis86
06-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Is there a tipping point?

Yes, according to a certain US Congressman, if they all move to one side of the island, it will tip over.

Wilf
06-29-2015, 07:18 AM
And people wanted them to become the 51st state:rolleyes:

sparebulb
06-29-2015, 08:46 AM
And people wanted them to become the 51st state:rolleyes:

I wonder what the separatists are saying/doing down there right now. It has always been a suppressed story here in the 50.

Ronin Truth
06-29-2015, 09:41 AM
The canary in the coal mine is starting to look kinda woozy. :eek: How's that Greek one looking?

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-29-2015, 12:13 PM
i guess puerto rico is now puerto china

Contumacious
06-29-2015, 05:03 PM
[I]“There is no U.S. precedent for anything of this scale and scope, and there is the added complication of extensive pledging of specific revenue streams to specific debts,” they wrote. “But difficult or not, the projections are clear that the issue can no longer be avoided.”

BULLSHIT.

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DECLARED BANKRUPTCY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 1935.

THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT THE FEDS CONTROL THE CREDIT AND CAN INFLATE THE CURRENCY WILY NILLY.

Slave Mentality
06-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Sell them.

No Comrade, they need some freedom and democracy spreading, 'Murican style.

acptulsa
06-30-2015, 06:11 AM
No Comrade, they need some freedom and democracy spreading, 'Murican style.

That would be good. That would be nice. We could open a few eyes if the federal government were to stage an armed invasion of a U.S. Territory at the behest of a few large banks. Not that we didn't invade Iraq (twice), Libya and a few others at the behest of the huge banks that own the Fed and benefit from the petrodollar. But they've been able to fool the people too dim to grasp the petrodollar concept that those were over something else. This could be different.

Excuse me if I don't hold my breath.