PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi May Stop Issuing All Marriage Licenses Due To Gay Marriage SCOTUS Ruling

Matt Collins
06-27-2015, 09:10 AM
http://www.newsweek.com/following-supreme-court-decision-mississippi-may-stop-issuing-any-marriage-347740

Wilf
06-27-2015, 09:14 AM
ya:D

cajuncocoa
06-27-2015, 09:27 AM
well alright then

Origanalist
06-27-2015, 09:40 AM
This... is the correct decision. Let's hope they make it permanent.

oyarde
06-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Works for me . Seems to me the majority of younger people are no longer interested in marriage , maybe they figured out they will retain more freedom from gubmit interference by avoiding .

ChristianAnarchist
06-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Yes!! Get the goonerment out of sanctioning marriage. Marriage is a contract between two people and their creator, no one else (and if the two people don't believe in the creator they can leave him out - it's their loss...)

ZENemy
06-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Marriage is FAR older than the United States. In fact, it's more ancient than statism itself. The only reason you need a marriage license is because you want all the other incumbent privileges that government gives you (like divorce arbitration, spousal privilege, healthcare, insurance, etc.) because apparently you are incapable of writing up and enforcing a private contract by yourselves.

~ MD

Voluntarist
06-27-2015, 11:27 AM
xxxxx

Sola_Fide
06-27-2015, 11:32 AM
How are they going to track, intrude, coerce, and attempt to own families without marriage licenses? Might be more difficult.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-27-2015, 11:36 AM
news flash, you don't need a license to get married. tax breaks are an entirely different story

Anti Federalist
06-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Watch this:

"Ok, Mississippi, you will no longer issue marriage licenses. Fine. As of such and such date, we will be witholding all federal social services funding for your state, until such time as you are back in compliance". Sincerely, FedGov."

Anti Federalist
06-27-2015, 11:39 AM
dupe

Sola_Fide
06-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Watch this:

"Ok, Mississippi, you will no longer issue marriage licenses. Fine. As of such and such date, we will be witholding all federal social services funding for your state, until such time as you are back in compliance". Sincerely, FedGov."

Oh yeah.

Anti Federalist
06-27-2015, 11:46 AM
triple

Anti Federalist
06-27-2015, 11:46 AM
grand slam

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Watch this:

have you ever been to Mississippi? It's already a complete shit hole. They have little to lose.

Sola_Fide
06-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Watch this:

Watch this:

Watch this:

Watch this:

Quadruple. That must mean it will come true.

Peace&Freedom
06-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Watch this:

That's why, for this to work, multiple states (in particular, all the hard red states that were never going to recognize gay marriage outside of the SCOTUS ruling) will have to stop issuing licenses, not just Mississippi. Many of them would also have to hold their ground when the "withdrawing federal services" warning comes, perhaps perhaps by way of a jointly issued counter warning:

"Ok, federal tyrants, you will be withholding funding. Fine, because we hereby announce we are seceding, until such time as you are back in compliance. Sincerely, the Free and Independent States."

Christian Liberty
06-27-2015, 12:25 PM
That's why, for this to work, multiple states (in particular, all the hard red states that were never going to recognize gay marriage outside of the SCOTUS ruling) will have to stop issuing licenses, not just Mississippi. Many of them would also have to hold their ground when the "withdrawing federal services" warning comes, perhaps with a jointly issued counter warning:

"Ok, federal tyrants, you will be withholding funding. Fine, because we hereby announce we are seceding, until such time as you are back in compliance."

Oh, how badly I wish :p

Voluntarist
06-27-2015, 12:36 PM
xxxxx

William Tell
06-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Paging Mr. Bradley, time to deliver a big heaping platter of crow to the N.C legislature.

oyarde
06-27-2015, 12:56 PM
That's why, for this to work, multiple states (in particular, all the hard red states that were never going to recognize gay marriage outside of the SCOTUS ruling) will have to stop issuing licenses, not just Mississippi. Many of them would also have to hold their ground when the "withdrawing federal services" warning comes, perhaps perhaps by way of a jointly issued counter warning:

"Ok, federal tyrants, you will be withholding funding. Fine, because we hereby announce we are seceding, until such time as you are back in compliance. Sincerely, the Free and Independent States."
I wish .Sounds good . If my state puts it on a ballot I will vote to opt out .

Sola_Fide
06-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Paging Mr. Bradley, time to deliver a big heaping platter of crow to the N.C legislature.

No doubt. Gunny was a leader on this. If they would have only listened.

Anti Federalist
06-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Yup, no shit, this.

"Somehow, I told you so, just doesn't cut it."

aGameOfThrones
06-27-2015, 03:13 PM
I Pray to the Church of SCOTUS!!!

VIDEODROME
06-27-2015, 04:49 PM
This... is the correct decision. Let's hope they make it permanent.

Hasn't Alabama already headed in the direction is disengaging government from marriage? Seems like a good trend.

VIDEODROME
06-27-2015, 04:52 PM
Marriage is FAR older than the United States. In fact, it's more ancient than statism itself. The only reason you need a marriage license is because you want all the other incumbent privileges that government gives you (like divorce arbitration, spousal privilege, healthcare, insurance, etc.) because apparently you are incapable of writing up and enforcing a private contract by yourselves.

~ MD

I thought it was originally for handling disputes over Estates and Inheritance by formally declaring people as Married to each other. I guess it depends on how Marriage emerged as a custom historically in different cultures.

thoughtomator
06-27-2015, 05:26 PM
POSSIBLE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE (shouting limited to those three words): If Mississippi does do away with all the little marriage caveats in their laws (particularly inheritance) ... watch for the wealthy to flee the state to other states where they can get the tax and inheritance benefits (Unless of course, Mississippi is tax neutral on such matters).

I'm pretty sure that any wealthy people in that state who didn't really want to specifically be there are already long gone. As the poorest state in the nation, it's the exact opposite of a haven for the wealthy.

Matt Collins
06-27-2015, 09:03 PM
have you ever been to Mississippi? It's already a complete shit hole. They have little to lose.
Uh not all of it.... lots of it is amazing.....

That being said, they get like $2 back from the federal government for every $1 dollar they send to DC.

Ronin Truth
06-28-2015, 11:27 AM
How many is that per year, two?

euphemia
06-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Hasn't Alabama already headed in the direction is disengaging government from marriage? Seems like a good trend.

And Oklahoma, I think.

This may be the time when we finally reject federal oversight of our marriages. Formalize the agreement before some witnesses, then file with the municipality so there is a record on the books. Courts have had no problem upholding an oral agreement when there were no witnesses, so having a couple of witnesses to sign the book seems like a good compromise to me.

puppetmaster
06-28-2015, 11:39 AM
news flash, you don't need a license to get married. tax breaks are an entirely different story correct

Carlybee
06-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Seen in comment section on article:

. They won't issue marriage licenses? We'll just send in the National Guard and force them to follow the law like we did after integration.

Voluntarist
06-28-2015, 01:16 PM
xxxxx