PDA

View Full Version : USA Today - Ban NASCAR fans from flying Confederate flag

Anti Federalist
06-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Sooner or later this Vortex of Doom is going to run into the First Amendment.

Which will be decried as a racist scribbling of dead slave owners.

Gluck: NASCAR should ban Confederate flag from all tracks now

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2015/06/25/confederate-flag-nascar-ban-tracks-infields-fans/29273659/

NASCAR needs to ban the Confederate flag from all of its racetracks. Now.

The sanctioning body generated some headlines this week when it supported banning the flag from the grounds of the South Carolina state capitol.

In doing so, NASCAR reiterated its stance on the flag: That in hopes of providing an inclusive environment at races, it will "continue to disallow the use of the Confederate flag symbol in any official NASCAR capacity."

But the statement didn't go far enough, because it also said this: "NASCAR recognizes that freedom of expression is an inherent right of all citizens."

In the wake of the mass shooting in Charleston that claimed nine lives, it's never been so clear that the flag is a toxic, modern-day symbol of divisiveness.

If you walk through the infield at places like Darlington Raceway in South Carolina or Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama, the flag can easily be spotted flying from the tops of motorhomes parked in the infield.

It can even be seen on TV as the camera sweeps by to show cars racing. The sight of it wouldn't feel very inclusive for someone who believes — as most do today — that the flag represents a history of oppression and racism.

Just ask Brad Daugherty, the JTG Daugherty Racing co-owner who told Sirius XM Radio this week that the flag "makes my skin crawl."

"Even though I do my best to not acknowledge it or to pay any attention to it, it's there and it bothers me," said Daugherty, who is African-American. "The old heritage versus hate thing in my mind is ridiculous because that flag, to any African-American person, does not represent any type of heritage. It 100% represents hate."

NASCAR certainly hasn't endorsed the flag. Three years ago, it angered PGA star Bubba Watson by preventing him from driving his General Lee car — the one from Dukes of Hazzard with a Confederate flag on the roof — around the track before an event at Phoenix International Raceway.

And in 2005, NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France told 60 Minutes that "it's not a flag I look at with anything favorable. That's for sure."

But France also said: "These are massive facilities. And I can't tell people what flag to fly."

Sure he can. It's simple: NASCAR can order racetracks to not permit any displays of the Confederate flag on track property, including from the tops of infield campers.

This isn't a free speech issue. Racetracks are private property, and it's within a business's discretion to disallow certain symbols.

(Funny how that doesn't go both ways though... - AF)

If a camper was flying a flag with a horrible graphic image or a series of expletives written on it, NASCAR would likely have the track take it down. The sport couldn't afford to have that seen on TV.

What if a fan flew a Nazi flag on the property? What about an ISIS flag? Surely, someone would order it removed.

Some NASCAR fans display the Stars and Bars because they believe it's a tribute to their Southern roots. So cracking down on those who fly the Confederate flag at races could further alienate some hardcore fans who have grown upset with NASCAR because of its many rules changes over the past decade. Would NASCAR want to risk giving them a reason to leave for good? Probably not.

It's easy to support South Carolina's efforts to remove the flag from the capitol grounds. It's harder to look in the mirror and make a decision that could impact business, even if it's the right one.

Danke
06-26-2015, 03:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfHigPsC_s

tod evans
06-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Sooner or later this Vortex of Doom is going to run into the First Amendment.

Or the second.......:cool:

nobody's_hero
06-26-2015, 03:23 PM
It's kind of silly that businesses change so many policies because they honestly believe that they're going to be financially impacted. I'm not just talking about the Confederate flag, but I'll use that as the example since it's the most popular topic right now.

Sorry if this sounds racist or too generalist, but please consider the following:

Number of black people who watch Nascar even though some fans may fly the Stars and Bars at a tailgate party:

Number of black people who will watch Nascar if they ban the Stars and Bars from flying at a tailgate party:

Honestly, does anyone know any black person who watches Nascar? If you do you probably know the only one. And if he does watch Nascar, is he going to watch it harder or something if they ban the flag. Does he even care? This is what I find so laughable in that businesses will bend over backwards to change their policies based on what the P.C. crowd dictates they should do, even if it has no financial effect on their business whatsoever.

Political correctness: 1. Common sense: 0.

CPUd
06-27-2015, 10:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/cR65o5Q.gif

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-27-2015, 11:41 AM
it's amazing how people are indoctrinated in thinking the confederates were the hostile force, when it was the union who invaded them, killed them, and burnt their states down. Same kind of shit is taught to people about how World War 2 really started. Britain and France caused the war in the west. Germany/USSR didn't want Poland for the lulz. If you look at a pre and post World War 2 map you could see a chunk of Germany and Russia were missing to make room for Poland.

http://mrknighths.weebly.com/uploads/1/7/5/1/17517537/1362054795.png They will NEVER mention that in school though. And it was no wonder Austria happily joined Germany, look how much land they lost as a result of WW1. So when Hitler and Stalin made a pact, it was to regain their countries lost territory. E. Prussia was part of Germany, divided by Poland.

Ronin Truth
06-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Hey, why not just go ahead and ban NASCAR flat out. That would certainly stir up something mighty unpleasant in the South ....... again. YEEEHAAWWWW!

specsaregood
06-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Hey, why not just go ahead and ban NASCAR flat out. That would certainly stir up something mighty unpleasant in the South ....... again. YEEEHAAWWWW!

Ban "The South", problem solved!

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-27-2015, 12:30 PM

They already tried to ban themselves and they got killed for it

euphemia
06-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Maybe they will also ban Kyle Busch merchandise. That would be cool.

Ronin Truth
06-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Wouldn't it be just absolutely hilarious to actually kick the South out of the Union?

Then the South could start a war because they refused to leave.

Brian4Liberty
06-27-2015, 01:16 PM
In the wake of the mass shooting in Charleston that claimed nine lives, it's never been so clear that the flag is a toxic, modern-day symbol of divisiveness.

Anything our Marxist masters deem to be toxic will be banned. Any people who dissent will be demonized and destroyed. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Anti Federalist
06-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Anything our Marxist masters deem to be toxic will be banned. Any people who dissent will be demonized and destroyed. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Racetracks are private property, and it's within a business's discretion to disallow certain symbols.

(Funny how that doesn't go both ways though... - AF)

///

aGameOfThrones
06-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Zero....Tolerance!!!

sam1952
06-27-2015, 04:09 PM
I think it is just fine for Nascar to ban flags on their private property. I also think it is fine if they choose not to.
I also think Brad Daugherty, who's skin crawls at the site of the flag is free not to participate in the sport. Perhaps finding something more to his liking. funny, he chooses to still participate....

I always find it odd how people want things to change to THEIR liking as opposed to them finding something already to their liking.

Slave Mentality
06-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Wouldn't it be just absolutely hilarious to actually kick the South out of the Union?

Then the South could start a war because they refused to leave.

This is one Southerner that has no issues not being associated with the glorious Union. At all.

euphemia
06-27-2015, 07:51 PM

We could always secede again. I wonder how that would go this time. We still have our guns.

ChristianAnarchist
06-27-2015, 08:08 PM
We could always secede again. I wonder how that would go this time. We still have our guns.

The time to secede is now... before they come for the guns...

euphemia
06-27-2015, 08:16 PM
The bad thing is if we draw the line at the 40th parallel, we would get Baltimore. Don't want that, for sure.

RonPaulIsGreat
06-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Let's just ban white people and be done with it.

Southron
06-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Jeff Gluck needs to go back to California with his anti-Southern bigotry.

Carlybee
06-27-2015, 08:51 PM

They would incinerate us with weapons we probably don't even know about.

Carlybee
06-27-2015, 08:52 PM
This is one Southerner that has no issues not being associated with the glorious Union. At all.

Sedition! reported

Anti Federalist
06-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Brian France, owner of NASCAR, has now been re-educated.

NASCAR president calls for Confederate flag to be removed from races

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2015/06/28/nascar-president-calls-for-confederate-flag-to-be-removed-from-races/

NASCAR president Brian France said on the weekend that he will work to ensure that the organization he heads is not linked with the image of the Confederate flag.

After calling the flag an "insensitive symbol," France said that "We want to go as far as we can to eliminate the presence of that flag" at NASCAR events.

"I personally find it an offensive symbol, so there is no daylight how we feel about it and our sensitivity to others who feel the same way. We're working with the industry to see how far we can go to get that flag to be disassociated entirely from our events," he said on Saturday.

France said he did not know if he will be able to achieve that because he could encounter resistance given that NASCAR began in the U.S. South and many race fans see it as a valid symbol.

The flag is normally seen flying or otherwise displayed on the cars of NASCAR fans at or outside the raceways when there are racing events.

The controversy surrounding the flag erupted last week after nine African-Americans were gunned down at a Bible study session in Charleston, South Carolina, by a young white supremacist.

The suspect in their murders, Dylann Roof, had posed with the Confederate flag in assorted photos before the attack.

Driver Dale Earnhardt Jr., one of the best-known NASCAR personalities, supported France's efforts and said that the flag is a symbol that is offensive to an entire race, adding that it is not necessary for it to be flown nowadays and that it belongs in the history books.

Meanwhile, Jeff Gordon, another NASCAR great, said that the matter is delicate for the organization because although races are held all over the country, it is in the South where there are the most fans.

After the Charleston massacre, Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley ordered four Confederate flags that had been flown at the state capitol to be removed.

And South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley called for the flag to be removed from the grounds of the state capital, after which the South Carolina legislature agreed to debate the controversial issue of removing the Confederate flag that flies outside its headquarters.

Anti Federalist
06-28-2015, 06:54 PM
///

heavenlyboy34
06-28-2015, 07:06 PM
FFS. SMFH. I and thousands of others my age had DoH merchandise, along these lines:https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdLmTP2UityqZBNP5pgVrSnitxWpjDk C6KAnupX7W-VxL9WXwq back in the 80s and 90s. We're "RAAAAAACIST"! :rolleyes:

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
06-28-2015, 07:55 PM
I think it is just fine for Nascar to ban flags on their private property.

How many of these NASCAR races are on private property? How many of these tracks are built and/or maintained with tax money?

DFF
06-28-2015, 08:15 PM
One killer liked the Confederate flag now it's gotta be banned.

What fucking bullshit. I mean really.

And what I mean by "really" are the people caving to the lefts absurd demands.

These spineless pussies, who are so terrified of *gasp* offending anyone.

They're the real problem, not the pinkos in government or in the media.

Southron
06-28-2015, 08:16 PM
I have suspected Brian France to be a leftist with his "Going Green" push and "drive for diversity" and taking race dates out of the South.

DFF
06-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Here's the way it's done.

Govt pinko: "We would like you to take down the Confederate flag. It's a symbol of hate, and it offends a lot of people."

NASCAR: "Hmmm. Well. That's very interesting."

Govt pinko: "So you'll take down that ugly symobol of racism?"

NASCAR: "No. Fuck YOU!"

phill4paul
06-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Worse is coming then the wacked out wierdo brain washed pill popper. My belief is that it is a flush. Someone, somewhere, is gonna jump into the matyrs fire. And then the hammer is going to fall.

kahless
06-28-2015, 08:31 PM
NASCAR fans need to stage a non-violent revolt. Send a message.

DFF
06-28-2015, 08:46 PM
NASCAR fans need to stage a non-violent revolt. Send a message.

People need to the learn the power of the word NO.

kahless
06-28-2015, 08:51 PM
People need to the learn the power of the word NO.

I was thinking along the lines of at the appropriate time everyone taking their shirt off, turn their back and exposing the confederate flag.

tod evans
06-30-2015, 06:16 AM
From Drudge;

Brawl Breaks Out In Front Of South Carolina Statehouse Over Confederate Flag

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2015/06/30/south-carolina-confederate-flag-brawl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIlIcwubZkw

One man has been arrested after a fight over the Confederate flag in front of the South Carolina Statehouse.
The brawl started about 7:15 p.m. Monday when about a dozen vehicles with Confederate flag supporters pulled up in front of the Statehouse and stopped in the middle of the street, Public Safety Department spokeswoman Sherri Iacobelli said in a statement.
About 10 of the flag supporters clashed with about 30 people who were on the Statehouse grounds protesting the flag, the statement said.
“The blood on my face, the blood in my teeth, the blood on my hands is no comparison to the Southern blood that runs through my veins,” Joe Linder told CBS News.
Linder, who was hit during the fight, supports the Confederate flag and says “racism has no part” in it.
“I’m gonna tell you one thing, I ain’t sitting down; this’ll just make me walk taller,” he told CBS News.
About 50 officers responded and contained the clash, including officers from the Bureau of Protective Services assigned to the Statehouse, as well as Columbia police, University of South Carolina officers and the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
Two blocks of the street in front of the Statehouse was closed for a brief time during the disturbance.
Sydney Baldwin told CBS News the fight began when someone took his flag.
“I jumped out of my truck,” Baldwin said. “That was all I did, was grab my flag and I got hit in the side.”
Nicholas Thompson, 25, of Irmo, South Carolina, has been charged with disorderly conduct. It wasn’t clear if he has an attorney.
The Confederate flag has been a focus of protests since the fatal shooting of nine people at a historic black church in Charleston on June 17.
Public Safety Director Leroy Smith told reporters it was unfortunate that Columbia had a fight when there have been no problems reported in Charleston, where the shooting occurred.
The suspect in the Charleston shooting, Dylann Storm Roof, appears in a number of photographs online with the Confederate flag, prompting calls for removal of the flag from in front of the Statehouse.
South Carolina lawmakers are expected next week to consider proposals to take the flag down and move it to a museum.
The flag has flown at the Statehouse since the 1960s. It was removed from the Statehouse dome and placed at a Confederate Soldier Monument in front of the Statehouse in 2000.

jbauer
06-30-2015, 09:04 AM

Does that mean we can leave? Please please please say yes. Draw a line on a map somewhere and let us go!!!

Anti Federalist
07-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Bubba didn't get the memo I guess...

Confederate flags fly high at the Coke Zero 400

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2015/07/04/confederate-flag-daytona-nascar-race/29705575/

Remember NASCAR’s Denunciation of the Confederate Flag? Daytona Fans Have Answered Back in Droves

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/05/remember-nascars-denunciation-of-the-confederate-flag-daytona-fans-have-answered-back-in-droves/

tod evans
07-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Bubba didn't get the memo I guess...

Confederate flags fly high at the Coke Zero 400

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2015/07/04/confederate-flag-daytona-nascar-race/29705575/

Remember NASCAR’s Denunciation of the Confederate Flag? Daytona Fans Have Answered Back in Droves

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/05/remember-nascars-denunciation-of-the-confederate-flag-daytona-fans-have-answered-back-in-droves/

Rebel flags were flying all over the lakes this weekend and I noticed two barns freshly painted in the Stars-n-Bars while out motoring.....

moostraks
07-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Rebel flags were flying all over the lakes this weekend and I noticed two barns freshly painted in the Stars-n-Bars while out motoring.....

In which case, considering this is likely a thought out exploitation of a situation, what is the result they are after here or does it matter considering they have the militarized police to deal with any resistance to their intended results? Hmm...Always interesting to see how it appears to be one thing then morphs into another and then you start to realize how truly screwed the situation is when there seems to be no good response.

tod evans
07-06-2015, 08:51 AM
In which case, considering this is likely a thought out exploitation of a situation, what is the result they are after here or does it matter considering they have the militarized police to deal with any resistance to their intended results? Hmm...Always interesting to see how it appears to be one thing then morphs into another and then you start to realize how truly screwed the situation is when there seems to be no good response.

I viewed it as refusal to accept the MSM's agenda, thumbing their collective noses at the P/C..

But I didn't stop and inquire it's just something I noticed.

Slave Mentality
07-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah, it was Stars-n-Bars weekend around here. I would not fly one, but I was strangely happy to see so many people saying "fuck you".

All these media/political whores are doing is successfully dividing us further.

AuH20
07-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Nothing screams enlightenment like tolerance. Now this guy may have been too audacious for his own good but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmOT3GjZj6I

Cleaner44
07-06-2015, 09:09 AM
I think we should encourage liberals to push forced southern secession. If we can get liberals to start arguing in favor of secession this will truly take a turn for the bizarre. Even if we could just get one state thrown out of the union we could move freedom forward a few inches.

Anti Federalist
07-06-2015, 09:15 AM
I viewed it as refusal to accept the MSM's agenda, thumbing their collective noses at the P/C..

But I didn't stop and inquire it's just something I noticed.

Yeah, it was Stars-n-Bars weekend around here. I would not fly one, but I was strangely happy to see so many people saying "fuck you".

All these media/political whores are doing is successfully dividing us further.

Pretty much where I'm at on this whole thing as well.

I have a 3x5 Confederate flag that I picked up God knows where, been kicking around for years in the basement, boxed up with all sorts of other assorted flotsam.

Might just fly it now, for no other reason than a big "fuck you".

sam1952
07-06-2015, 10:07 AM
How many of these NASCAR races are on private property? How many of these tracks are built and/or maintained with tax money?

I don't know...

limequat
07-06-2015, 10:19 AM
I think we should encourage liberals to push forced southern secession. If we can get liberals to start arguing in favor of secession this will truly take a turn for the bizarre. Even if we could just get one state thrown out of the union we could move freedom forward a few inches.

I support this plan.
Maybe we could look to Greece for inspiration. Find a state that just sucks the economy dry. Texas would be the most likely candidate.

AuH20
07-07-2015, 10:30 AM
And the hysteria continues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fghq85jfTlA

Carlybee
07-07-2015, 10:59 AM

We in Texas shall take our crude oil and refineries with us and just wait til they see what a gallon of gas costs. They can all be forced to drive clown cars.

Carlybee
07-07-2015, 11:00 AM
And the hysteria continues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fghq85jfTlA

Oops...hit reverse by mistake!