PDA

View Full Version : Apple bans Civil War themed video games from showing Confederate flag

Anti Federalist
06-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Apple pulls Civil War games showing the Confederate flag from its App Store

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/06/25/apple-pulls-civil-war-games-showing-confederate-flag-from-its-app-store/

Apple appears to have joined the growing list of companies removing merchandise depicting the Confederate battle flag, pulling a number of Civil War games from its App Store.

National retailers Amazon.com, Walmart, Sears and Etsy this week all announced plans to remove merchandise depicting the Confederate battle flag following the recent shooting death of nine black members of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C. Shortly after the June 17 killings photos emerged of suspect Dylann Roof posing with the Confederate flag.

With the shockwaves from the brutal attack still being felt, iOS gaming website Touch Arcade reported Thursday that Apple has removed a number of Civil War games from its App Store.

Game Labs, developer of “Ultimate General: Gettysburg” confirmed in a tweet that the game had been pulled from the App Store. “Apple has pulled the tablet version of the game from Appstore because of the Confederate Flag,” it tweeted Thursday.

Apple has pulled the tablet version of the game from Appstore because of the Confederate Flag. details coming...
— Ultimate_General (@GeneralUltimate) June 25, 2015

In a subsequent blog post, Game Labs said that game could be accepted back on the App Store if the flag is removed. However, citing the importance of historical accuracy, the developer said that it will not make the change.

“Spielberg’s ‘Schindler's List’ did not try to amend his movie to look more comfortable,” the developer explained. “The historical "Gettysburg" movie (1993) is still on iTunes. We believe that all historical art forms: books, movies, or games such as ours, help to learn and understand history, depicting events as they were. True stories are more important to us than money.

“Therefore we are not going to amend the game's content and Ultimate General: Gettysburg will no longer be available on AppStore,” added Game Labs. “We really hope that Apple’s decision will achieve the desired results.”

Game Labs also noted that it receives lot of letters of gratitude from teachers who use the game as a teaching tool.

Apple has not yet responded to a request for comment on this story from FoxNews.com.

On Sunday Apple CEO Tim Cook appeared to speak out against the Confederate flag. “My thoughts are with the victim's families in SC.Let us honor their lives by eradicating racism & removing the symbols & words that feed it,” he tweeted.

My thoughts are with the victim's families in SC.Let us honor their lives by eradicating racism & removing the symbols & words that feed it.
— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) June 21, 2015

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley called Monday for the removal of the Confederate flag from statehouse grounds but defended the right of private citizens to fly it.

Henry Rogue
06-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Next they will blur out the General Lee in Dukes of Hazard reruns.

Let the Inquisitions begin.

specsaregood
06-25-2015, 07:52 PM
I think we should burn all history books with a photo of the flag in them.

Southron
06-25-2015, 07:55 PM
The corporate and political classes move in lockstep don't they?

Aratus
06-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Prior to DOOM, Id Software's breakout hit was WOLFENSTEIN 3-D --- i remember shooting Nazis when playing it & banners with swastikas as backdrops.
Technically it was not a SIM and set inside a fantasy realm, not a precise time-frame. De~emphasing the Confederate flag i can understand but any SIM
that does not try to be historically accurate becomes confusing. I understand the outrage being voiced and can only hope people calm down and see reason.

Voluntarist
06-25-2015, 08:15 PM
xxxxx

fisharmor
06-25-2015, 08:16 PM
This is fucking brilliant.

So the logic goes like this:
Those guys were racists and they used this flag, so we're going to eliminate this flag from society, and therefore not be able to remember the reasons we believe we fought against them.
There's hope there, I suppose... maybe in 20-30 years we'll be able to discuss the reasons for that war, as opposed to following the dictated narrative, because those driving that narrative will have removed the erroneous reason themselves.
Real brain surgeons we're dealing with, huh?

I'm reminded of Inglorious Basterds, when the team occasionally lets a Nazi go, but first asks "Are you going to take off that uniform after the war?" And they all reply "Yes, yes, I'm going to burn it", and then Brad Pitt carves a swastika in their foreheads with a knife so they can't hide from what they took part in later in life.
One would think that if you thought the thing they were doing was truly that terrible, you actually wouldn't want their symbols destroyed.

Voluntarist
06-25-2015, 08:19 PM
xxxxx

wizardwatson
06-25-2015, 08:32 PM
The wizard doesn't take time out to make comics very often. Y'all better give me some props.

http://i.imgur.com/KWlFdxx.jpg

Voluntarist
06-25-2015, 08:34 PM
xxxxx

tangent4ronpaul
06-25-2015, 08:38 PM

'Dukes of Hazzard' Star: It's "Unfair" to Say Only Racists Own a Confederate Flag

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-schneider-confederate-flag-dukes-804933

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/675x380/2015/06/john_schneider_general_lee.jpg

-t

puppetmaster
06-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Speachless.....we are so screwed

wizardwatson
06-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Speachless.....we are so screwed

Hey, look on the bright side.

At least they didn't say "only black people can fly the flag."

That's something.

donnay
06-25-2015, 09:31 PM

You're close... the Dukes of Hazard car can no longer be sold because of the Confederate flag on the roof. SMDH.

Warner Bros. scraps Dukes of Hazzard car toys over Confederate flag controversy
(http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/23/8836571/dukes-of-hazzard-car-toys-confederate-flag)

AuH20
06-25-2015, 09:41 PM
'Dukes of Hazzard' Star: It's "Unfair" to Say Only Racists Own a Confederate Flag

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-schneider-confederate-flag-dukes-804933

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/675x380/2015/06/john_schneider_general_lee.jpg

-t

I always knew there was a black man's corpse in the trunk of that car. They can't fool me.

wizardwatson
06-25-2015, 09:44 PM
I always knew there was a black man's corpse in the trunk of that car. They can't fool me.

You know if you're gonna act ignorant on here maybe you shouldn't post stuff. Everyone knows you drag 'em on chains. You don't put their dirty asses in a cherry-ass Charger.

Too far?

Carlybee
06-25-2015, 11:30 PM
You know if you're gonna act ignorant on here maybe you shouldn't post stuff. Everyone knows you drag 'em on chains. You don't put their dirty asses in a cherry-ass Charger.

Too far?

Uh yeah...doesn't help.

wizardwatson
06-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Uh yeah...doesn't help.

I defer to my signature in that case.

Carlybee
06-25-2015, 11:35 PM
Maybe my 75th anniversary GWTW blu-ray set will gain value once it becomes illegal.

Dr.3D
06-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Better get your...Dukes of Hazard General Lee Dixie Air Horn... before they ban those too.
http://www.autobarn.net/dukes-of-hazzard-general-lee-dixie-car-horn.html

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-26-2015, 01:39 AM
let the shitty corporations ban what they want. you agree to their shitty terms of service when you use their shitty products and shitty services. Like as if you have a choice. Every TOS reads the same: Either accept it or live under the rock.

Slave Mentality
06-26-2015, 06:38 AM
It's time to put these fascist mother fuckers down by starving the beast.

juleswin
06-26-2015, 07:06 AM
When folks on DU of all hyper PC places think you've gone too far, then you have definitely gone way too far in your overreaction. I have a feeling that there will be an equal but opposite reaction to all this banning. Just hope it doesn't end with people buying the damn flag

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141127623

Carlybee
06-26-2015, 07:10 AM
When folks on DU of all hyper PC places think you've gone too far, then you have definitely gone way too far in your overreaction. I have a feeling that there will be an equal but opposite reaction to all this banning. Just hope it doesn't end with people buying the damn flag

I hope everyone buys the damn flag. But that's just the anarchist in me that wants this to play out to it's logical conclusion so people will wake up to the real agenda behind all this.

Origanalist
06-26-2015, 08:44 AM

I have a John Wilkes Booth bobble head figure on my desk, will that do?

kahless
06-26-2015, 08:46 AM
I have a John Wilkes Booth bobble head figure on my desk, will that do?

Racist! Burn him! Wait, allow Originalist to repent and apologize publicly first and then burn him!

moostraks
06-26-2015, 10:51 AM

-t

Earlier, Ben Jones, who played Cooter and owns three Dukes of Hazzard-themed stores called Cooter's took to Facebook and Twitter to slam those who are equating the flag to murder and racism.

"Our beloved symbol is now being attacked in a wave of political correctness that is unprecedented in our nation of free speech and free expression," wrote Jones, who is also a former Democratic congressman from Georgia. "When we say our flag stands for 'heritage not hate' and 'pride, not prejudice,' we mean it ... Cooter's is going to continue to sell our Southern symbols as long as there is a Cooter's. I will fight these people until hell freezes over, and then I will fight them on the ice." :D love the last line in that quote...spoken like a true Southerner.

tangent4ronpaul
06-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Earlier, Ben Jones, who played Cooter and owns three Dukes of Hazzard-themed stores called Cooter's took to Facebook and Twitter to slam those who are equating the flag to murder and racism.

"Our beloved symbol is now being attacked in a wave of political correctness that is unprecedented in our nation of free speech and free expression," wrote Jones, who is also a former Democratic congressman from Georgia. "When we say our flag stands for 'heritage not hate' and 'pride, not prejudice,' we mean it ... Cooter's is going to continue to sell our Southern symbols as long as there is a Cooter's. I will fight these people until hell freezes over, and then I will fight them on the ice."

:D love the last line in that quote...spoken like a true Southerner.

He was on FOX last night too. Someone probably YouTube'd it. It was pretty good.

-t

idiom
06-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Prior to DOOM, Id Software's breakout hit was WOLFENSTEIN 3-D --- i remember shooting Nazis when playing it & banners with swastikas as backdrops.
Technically it was not a SIM and set inside a fantasy realm, not a precise time-frame. De~emphasing the Confederate flag i can understand but any SIM
that does not try to be historically accurate becomes confusing. I understand the outrage being voiced and can only hope people calm down and see reason.

Most WW2 based games use the Iron Cross on German flags, not the Swastika.

tangent4ronpaul
06-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Report: Apple looks to reinstate some iOS apps that use Confederate flag
Apple statement OKs use of symbol for "educational or historical" purposes.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/report-apple-looks-to-reinstate-some-ios-apps-that-use-confederate-flag/

Apple seems to be partially walking back its recent efforts to remove all apps and games featuring the Confederate battle flag from the iOS App Store. Reports and public statements from Apple suggest the company is working to reinstate games that use the flag in an "educational or historical" context.

Apple's full statement on the matter, issued to many press outlets, reads as follows:

We have removed apps from the App Store that use the Confederate flag in offensive or mean-spirited ways, which is in violation of our guidelines. We are not removing apps that display the Confederate flag for educational or historical uses.

Despite that statement, yesterday saw the App Store removal of numerous games that use the Confederate flag merely to represent the Southern side in historical war simulations. As strategy game maker HexWar told Touch Arcade at the time, "We're in no way sympathetic to the use of the flag in an offensive way, we used it purely because historically that was the flag that was used at the time."

Touch Arcade reports that Apple has since been in touch with some iOS developers to work on getting their games reinstated, but that those games would "have to either remove or replace the Confederate flag" to get back on the App Store. However, TechCrunch reports that talks with unnamed Apple representatives suggest the company is looking to simply reinstate games and apps that make those "historical or educational uses" of the flag without delay. "Apple’s intention is not to lose games from the App Store, but rather remove those titles that could offend," the site paraphrased.

It's all a bit vague and confusing at this point, but signs seem to be pointing toward Apple scaling back what appeared to be a blanket ban on the use of the flag in games and apps. Apple has yet to respond to our request for comment on the matter.

tangent4ronpaul
06-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Confederate flag raised again at South Carolina Statehouse after Bree Newsome climbs pole to remove it
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-removes-confederate-flag-s-statehouse-grounds-article-1.2273299

A woman climbed a flagpole and removed the Confederate flag from the South Carolina Statehouse Saturday -- only to be arrested and have the banner raised again less than an hour later.

Brittany Ann Byuarium (Bree) Newsome scaled the 30-foot pole using a harness just after dawn as officers yelled for her to come down on the Columbia grounds, organizer Tamika Lewis told the Daily News.

"You cannot get to me with hatred and oppression and violence," Newsome shouted from the top of the pole, according to video. "I come against you in the name of God. This flag comes down today."

Newsome, of Charlotte, N.C., took her time climbing down, citing prayers as she did so. When she reached the bottom, State Police took the flag out of her hands and arrested her.

Another North Carolina activist, James Tyson, climbed over the four-foot wrought-iron fence and held the pole to make sure Newsome didn't fall, Lewis said. He was arrested alongside Newsome as a group of onlookers cheered off camera.

The 30-year-olds were charged with defacing a monument on state Capitol grounds, a misdemeanor that can bring up to three years in prison and a $5,000 fine, a state Department of Public Safety spokeswoman said.

A judge ordered $3,000 bond for each of them and said they were free to travel to other states at about 2:45 p.m., WLTX reported.

LibertyRevolution
06-27-2015, 08:27 PM

Wouldn't suprise me after reading this yesterday...

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/warner-bros-bans-dukes-of-hazzard-car-with-confederate-flag-20150624

Aratus
06-27-2015, 08:42 PM
I read the article in Rolling Stone. This is ironical. Roughly 60 years ago, on the heels of
the release of Elia Kazan's EAST OF EDEN, Nick Ray's film REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE and
George Stevens's film GIANT catapulted James Byron Dean into super~stardom. Evidently
the only Rebels we are to even slightly tolerate are the ones without any discernible causes.

DamianTV
06-28-2015, 12:53 AM
When did the CON-Federate (ie Anti Federalized) Flag become a Nazi symbol?

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-28-2015, 04:42 PM
they reinstated some of the civil war games, citing they only take down offensive games. Well unless the game is called Confederate Slavery Simulator 2000, I don't see how offensive it could be. And there actually are games where you use slaves to help your economy. Dun dun dun!