PDA

View Full Version : Kids blackmarket salt-n-sugar at school

tod evans
06-24-2015, 03:20 PM
From Drudge;

Kids Create Salt Black Markets in Cafeterias Due to Michelle Obama’s Lunch Rules

http://freebeacon.com/issues/kids-create-salt-black-markets-in-cafeterias-due-to-michelle-obamas-lunch-rules/

Children are creating their own black markets to trade and sell salt due to First Lady Michelle Obama’s school lunch rules.

During a hearing before the House Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education, chaired by Rep. Todd Rokita (R., Ind.), a school administrator told Congress of the “unintended consequences” of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.

“Perhaps the most colorful example in my district is that students have been caught bringing–and even selling–salt, pepper, and sugar in school to add taste to perceived bland and tasteless cafeteria food,” said John S. Payne, the president of Blackford County School Board of Trustees in Hartford City, Indiana.

“This ‘contraband’ economy is just one example of many that reinforce the call for flexibility [with the rules],” he said.

Payne noted other problems with the “one-size-fits-all” approach to providing healthier meals to students, including fewer kids participating in the program and higher food waste. The trend started in 2012, when the school lunch law, which was championed by Mrs. Obama, went into effect.

“Students are avoiding cafeteria food,” Payne said. “More students bring their lunch, and a few parents even ‘check out’ their child from campus, taking them to a local fast-food restaurant or home for lunch.”

Payne also said school fundraisers like bake sales, have been canceled due to the rules, and “whole-grain items and most of the broccoli end up in the trash” in his district.

Dr. Lynn Harvey agreed that the whole-grain requirement is not working, as kids refuse to eat dense and dry biscuits, and “unpalatable” grits.

“When it comes to whole grain-rich variations of biscuits, grits, crackers and cornbread, all too often, students simply toss them into the trash cans,” said Harvey, who serves as chief of school nutrition services at the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, which oversees lunch programs for schools that enroll 1.5 million students.

“This product dissatisfaction has contributed to a decline in breakfast participation in 60 percent of North Carolina’s school districts,” she said.

“Biscuits and corn muffins are part of the state’s cultural and regional food heritage, just as bagels are traditional in the Northeast and tortillas in the Southwest,” Harvey added. “These foods are very popular breakfast items; the addition of whole grain flour has created products that are dense, compact, dry, and crumbly instead of light, moist, tender, and flaky.”

Harvey said since the new rules went into effect participation in the school lunch program in her state has declined by 5 percent, “a loss of nearly 13 million meals in two years.”

School districts across the country have echoed Payne and Harvey’s complaints. Students have noted the unappetizing fare on Twitter, with the viral hash tag #ThanksMichelleObama, which led the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to launch their own social media campaign, soliciting pictures of more appetizing food.

More than 1 million students fled the lunch line during the first year the standards went into effect.

House Republicans have introduced legislation to give schools more flexibility in meeting the rules. A bill sponsored by Rep. Kristi Noem (R., S.D.) would “ease sodium restrictions, give school administrators flexibility on some of the rules that have increased costs, including the school breakfast program, a la carte options, and school lunch price increases, and make USDA’s easing of the meat and grain requirements permanent,” according to the Hill.

“The clear solution to these problems is local leadership and flexibility,” Payne said. “When local school districts have the authority and flexibility to make adjustments honoring the spirit and intent of the law they can provide students with healthy, nutritious, and appetizing meals.”

Wilf
06-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Hahaha

Anti Federalist
06-24-2015, 04:27 PM
“Perhaps the most colorful example in my district is that students have been caught bringing–and even selling–salt, pepper, and sugar in school to add taste to perceived bland and tasteless cafeteria food,” said John S. Payne, the president of Blackford County School Board of Trustees in Hartford City, Indiana.

Caught?

Dr.3D
06-24-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why the presidents wife should have anything to say about all of this.

Danke
06-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Schools need to start strip search at the cafeteria.

asurfaholic
06-24-2015, 04:37 PM
“a loss of nearly 13 million meals in two years.”

its not really a loss if those 13 million meals go from being in the school industrial complex to the the local food economy.

I know my fellow man who owns the chickfila down the road sure doesn't mind.

Henry Rogue
06-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Caught?

It's illegal to bring contraband into a prison.

Kotin
06-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Good kids.

juleswin
06-24-2015, 05:17 PM
And we are talking about real sugar instead of the high fructose corn syrup or the other artificial fake sugary stuff. Good for them, learning the art of hustling and healthy eating.

Barrex
06-24-2015, 05:36 PM
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/79c0c16f4727309f3e1b9edf5150479027d5f55f17bd8d2dc6 1e755a38c1dc5e_1.gif

Sometimes I ponder how and what would needed to be done for people to accept reality of 1984 or some other dystopian world...

How would people be prepared to eat tasteless food that is rationed and in short supply?

presence
06-24-2015, 05:39 PM
the addition of whole grain flour has created products that are dense, compact, dry, and crumbly instead of light, moist, tender, and flaky

That would seem to be general incompetence in baking. I'd suspect they were using bromated white flour from white wheat berries; and now they're using whole wheat flour from red wheat berries. The difference they suggest is more likely to occur because of the type of berry than the degree to which its refined.

How is White Whole Wheat different from Whole Wheat Flour? Traditional Whole Wheat Flour is milled from a red wheat berry. White Whole Wheat Flour is milled from a white wheat berry. Just a different variation of wheat berry. Different wheats! The white wheat berry is sweeter in flavor and milder that the red wheat berry. Cool, right?
I’ve found that White Whole Wheat Flour is a really great way to incorporate whole wheat nutrition into many baked goods that may normally call for All-Purpose Flour.
http://joythebaker.com/2014/05/baking-101-the-difference-between-baking-flours/

Whole Wheat Biscuits

2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur’s white whole wheat organic flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cold unsalted butter
1 cup milk (any kind)

There are so many reasons why I love these biscuits. First of all, they are super easy to make and no special equipment (like a rolling pin or biscuit cutter) is needed. It takes no more than 15 or 20 minutes to make them from mixing the dough to pulling them out of the oven. Then once they are done they are moist and flaky and so tasty (c’mon, look at the picture – you know you https://thefoodillusion.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/biscuits.jpg?w=300&h=199 (https://thefoodillusion.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/biscuits.jpg)want one!). And the best part is that they freeze and reheat beautifully (I just throw the frozen biscuits in the toaster oven on the bake setting).

tangent4ronpaul
06-24-2015, 05:41 PM
AWESOME!

-t

presence
06-24-2015, 05:46 PM
I do admire these kids entrepreneurial skills though though. I used to run a Sam's-Club-to-homeroom tear jerker, atomic fireball, and blue blowpop operation.

enhanced_deficit
06-24-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why the presidents wife should have anything to say about all of this.

Because the wife, like her husband, cares very much about the children.

http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/may2014/120514mic1.jpg

angelatc
06-24-2015, 05:50 PM
“This product dissatisfaction has contributed to a decline in breakfast participation in 60 percent of North Carolina’s school districts,” she said.

And with those words, I became a supporter of the federal government's school food program.

Henry Rogue
06-24-2015, 06:05 PM
And with those words, I became a supporter of the federal government's school food program.

That just means they will throw more taxpayer money at it. Kids eat to much, throw money at . Kids not eating enough, throw money at it.

Sola_Fide
06-24-2015, 06:58 PM
This is hilarious.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Even before Michelle Obama, a lot of districts had crappy school food. It's basically prison food. Dead and live Insects? Check. Thorny vine in my vegetables? Check. Cardboard pieces and plastic wrapping inside the food? Check. Check. Check.

timosman
06-25-2015, 12:21 AM
Even before Michelle Obama, a lot of districts had crappy school food. It's basically prison food. Dead and live Insects? Check. Thorny vine in my vegetables? Check. Cardboard pieces and plastic wrapping inside the food? Check. Check. Check.

Prisoners would riot if fed such crap.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-25-2015, 12:28 AM
Prisoners would riot if fed such crap.

the difference is you can bring your own lunch, so you only have to blame the parents if they don't want to feed their kids

amy31416
06-25-2015, 01:32 AM

She wants your kid's fat asses to fit in a humvee--national security threat and all that.

Danke
06-25-2015, 01:39 AM
She wants your kid's fat asses to fit in a humvee--national security threat and all that.

Feed your children well.

tangent4ronpaul
06-25-2015, 01:52 AM
This thread is a hoot!

Psssst kid - wanna buy some condiments? <wink>

:D

-t

XNavyNuke
06-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Here is Mr Payne's entire testimony.

http://edworkforce.house.gov/uploadedfiles/payne_testimony.pdf

XNN

invisible
06-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Why would any self-respecting high school kid even be in the cafeteria for lunch at all, when they could be safely off of school grounds somewhere, smoking hash with their friends and cranking up Black Sabbath and the Butthole Surfers? I suppose that the high school experience has changed a lot since the mid-1980's.

specsaregood
06-25-2015, 07:49 PM
//

limequat
06-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Someone should start a website called the Chocolate Milk Road for anonymously trading illegal food in schools.

r3volution 3.0
06-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Cutting up lines of pixie dust on a mirror in the bathroom stall.

Taking 8-balls of sour patch kids to the dome before gym class.

Little Billy goes into withdrawal in math class, sees Willy Wonka climbing the walls with a knife in his teeth.

:cool:

r3volution 3.0
06-25-2015, 09:52 PM
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/5/55/Cookie_Monster.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091220093936

tangent4ronpaul
06-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Why would any self-respecting high school kid even be in the cafeteria for lunch at all, when they could be safely off of school grounds somewhere, smoking hash with their friends and cranking up Black Sabbath and the Butthole Surfers? I suppose that the high school experience has changed a lot since the mid-1980's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFA9N4d_RtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FROlM3Ft5qQ

Good times!

-t

LibertyRevolution
06-25-2015, 10:41 PM
I do admire these kids entrepreneurial skills though though. I used to run a Sam's-Club-to-homeroom tear jerker, atomic fireball, and blue blowpop operation.

Damn right. It wasn't books in my bookbag either. You name it we sold it. Hell, we would take special orders to bring in for the next day. :)

Aratus
06-25-2015, 10:44 PM
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/79c0c16f4727309f3e1b9edf5150479027d5f55f17bd8d2dc6 1e755a38c1dc5e_1.gif

Sometimes I ponder how and what would needed to be done for people to accept reality of 1984 or some other dystopian world...

How would people be prepared to eat tasteless food that is rationed and in short supply?

good Q

timosman
06-25-2015, 10:59 PM

All the while being told the food shortages are caused by terrorists or some such and which you are supposed not to like too much.

heavenlyboy34
06-25-2015, 11:38 PM
And we are talking about real sugar instead of the high fructose corn syrup or the other artificial fake sugary stuff. Good for them, learning the art of hustling and healthy eating.

HFCS is more awkward than cane sugar and the fake shit doesn't taste good. Betcha the brilliant little Bad Kids only dealt in the real deal. :cool:

Slave Mentality
06-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Psssst, hey kid, know anyone looking for any Cavenders Greek Seasoning?

acptulsa
06-26-2015, 07:49 AM
So, we cut out all salt, which can lead to cramps, and is far more likely to cause a child a heart attack, because too much salt can cause a middle aged man a heart attack. And we cut out sugar, which children need to grow and exercise, because middle aged men have stopped growing up and sugar only makes them grow horizontally.

And the child's survival instincts are ignored, and children are told that when they listen to their own bodies about their health they are being bad children. And they don't get what they need, but are instead given what a middle aged man needs, by people who consider middle aged men the devil and complain all the time about how the world is skewed to meet their needs and no one else's.

And we deprive children of what they really need to grow up strong and healthy under the name 'Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.'

And all on the word of a woman known to have six kinds of pie on the table for her daughters.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/28/a-white-house-menu-heavy-on-the-pies/?_r=0

Make that nine kinds of pie on the table. All at the same time.

Ignorance is strength.

limequat
06-26-2015, 07:56 AM
So, we cut out all salt, which can lead to cramps, and is far more likely to cause a child a heart attack, because too much salt can cause a middle aged man a heart attack. And we cut out sugar, which children need to grow and exercise, because middle aged men have stopped growing up and sugar only makes them grow horizontally.

And the child' survival instincts are ignored, and children are told that when they listen to their own bodies about their health they are being bad children. And they don't get what they need, but are instead given what a middle aged man needs, by people who consider middle aged men the devil and complain all the time about how the world is skewed to meet their needs and no one else's.

And we deprive children of what they really need to grow up strong and healthy under the name 'Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.'

And all on the word of a woman known to have six kinds of pie on the table for her daughters.

Ignorance is strength.

Damn.

jbauer
06-26-2015, 09:20 AM
So what does a salt packet go for?

moostraks
06-26-2015, 10:37 AM
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/5/55/Cookie_Monster.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091220093936

:D I laughed way too hard at that one. :eek:

Root
06-26-2015, 10:39 AM
These kids could make a killing with some hot sauce packets.

tod evans
06-26-2015, 10:56 AM
These kids could make a killing with some hot sauce packets.

There was an article a couple weeks ago about some kid that got his tit in a wringer over ghost peppers.......

Paulbot99
06-27-2015, 12:52 PM
The FDA just ran a sting operation. Twenty sugar dealers and addicts are confirmed dead. The brave officers could have been harmed, though! :O

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-27-2015, 12:53 PM
There was an article a couple weeks ago about some kid that got his tit in a wringer over ghost peppers.......

They're lacing the condiments already! :eek:

Ghost Pepper codeword = Dr. Pepper

Jamesiv1
06-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Caught?
And sitting in detention for up to 3 full grades waiting for the principal to give them a strongly-worded lecture about dealing illegal condiments.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-27-2015, 01:25 PM
And sitting in detention for up to 3 full grades waiting for the principal to give them a strongly-worded lecture about dealing illegal condiments.

hah I spent half my time in detention as a kid for not following shitty rules, like asking for permission to piss. I guess that's why I'm here.

The Free Hornet
06-27-2015, 10:15 PM

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/28/a-white-house-menu-heavy-on-the-pies/?_r=0

Make that nine kinds of pie on the table. All at the same time.

This was a Thanksgiving dinner that included guests. The daughters otherwise have jack shit to do with the pies. I'll get at least 3 different pies and I'm not even mayor of a village or nuttin! The article lists "Greens" as a menu items as well but what is that? Peas, asparagus, green beans, broccoli??? Individually or in a bowl together? I suspect they were lumped together out of laziness or to de-emphasize their availability (after all, why not list "Pies"). And does anyone believe they didn't have some icecream on hand or maybe that just wasn't listed? Or maybe Moochelle wanted to focus on traditional Turkey Day stuff kind of how some people ignore the health affects of cake on their birthday. I.e., big fucking deal. Maybe Obama needs the SS to sneak him junk food and smokes.

The point could be better if focused on the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocrisy, but the focus really seems to be on the pies here.

Why does 'blogspot' ask me to log in???:
http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2013/11/after-quick-deaths-for-all-of-president.html

I couldn't find a discussion as to why Google would require (not want, but require) a login for viewing stupid blog pages. I hope these bloggers are justly compensated or punished. Or compensated then punished.

DamianTV
06-28-2015, 12:51 AM
Make ANYTHING illegal and you only succeed in creating a Black Market for it.

Working Poor
06-28-2015, 01:42 AM
I am glad that some have found a way to make money

osan
06-28-2015, 02:27 AM
From Drudge;

Kids Create Salt Black Markets in Cafeterias Due to Michelle Obama’s Lunch Rules

Oh gee, I would never have expected this.

Pardon my dinosaur-like opinions, but the so-called "first-lady" should keep its yap shut and nose out of political issues.

Children are creating their own black markets to trade and sell salt due to First Lady Michelle Obama’s school lunch rules.

...“unintended consequences”... students have been caught bringing–and even selling–salt, pepper, and sugar in school...

In a sane world I would say "Good! This illustrates how such laws are less than worthless." However, the average man now being as hopelessly stoopid as he is and "government" being so hopelessly disinterested in anything we might have to say on the matter, I feel the words sticking in my throat, said throat so very reticent to allow itself to become party to such rank futility.

“This ‘contraband’ economy... ” he said.

Dare I wonder what happens to students caught with such "contraband"? Dare I wonder whether even one has been brought into contact with police, or threatened with same?

Payne noted other problems with the “one-size-fits-all” approach to providing healthier meals to students, including fewer kids participating in the program and higher food waste. The trend started in 2012, when the school lunch law, which was championed by Mrs. Obama, went into effect.

Some of the kids have better sense than the monster Obama. To this I WILL say "good". The only real negative here is the waste of food, which is appalling even if the quality is far below acceptable par.

“Students are avoiding cafeteria food,” Payne said. “More students bring their lunch, and a few parents even ‘check out’ their child from campus, taking them to a local fast-food restaurant or home for lunch.”

YES!

My joy unbridled is all too quickly squelched back to heel with the sad thought which wonders, "how long until Theye pass a law making it a crime to 'opt-out' in these ways and perhaps any others, as well?"

Dr. Lynn Harvey agreed that the whole-grain requirement is not working, as kids refuse to eat dense and dry biscuits, and “unpalatable” grits.

Grits? Oh really? Perhaps Michelle would have them eating watermelon and fried chicken as well? Where'd I put that iron bar? Anyone?

Is there nothing that an Obama touches that doesn't turn to poo? The Obamas are like a micro-dynasty of impossible idiots.

“Biscuits and corn muffins are part of the state’s cultural and regional food heritage, just as bagels are traditional in the Northeast and tortillas in the Southwest,” Harvey added. “These foods are very popular breakfast items; the addition of whole grain flour has created products that are dense, compact, dry, and crumbly instead of light, moist, tender, and flaky.”

That is because that is what whole grain flours do to such foods. I tried making/baking various items with whole wheat flour, for example. YICK... and we have quite the kitchen in this household. My wife cooks like you would not believe. Try making roti ("naan") with whole wheat flour. They qualify as discuses in summer Olympic games. And the flavor is also not very appealing.

Harvey said since the new rules went into effect participation in the school lunch program in her state has declined by 5 percent, “a loss of nearly 13 million meals in two years.”

Let us raise a glass in hope of seeing that go to 50% and beyond. I would just love to see how Theye react to so blatant and public a message. Probably that law criminalizing refusal to eat their poisons.

School districts across the country have echoed Payne and Harvey’s complaints. Students have noted the unappetizing fare on Twitter, with the viral hash tag #ThanksMichelleObama, which led the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to launch their own social media campaign, soliciting pictures of more appetizing food.

Only government stooges could come up with a response such as this... as if appearances were enough. I guess this makes it official: being a willful idiot is in fact a requirement for most government positions.

House Republicans have introduced legislation to give schools more flexibility in meeting the rules.

Sweet Jesus... obviously it occurs to none of those stooges to simply repeal the law in question, eh? Ugh... I feel that headache returning.

A bill sponsored by Rep. Kristi Noem (R., S.D.) would “ease sodium restrictions, give school administrators flexibility on some of the rules that have increased costs, including the school breakfast program, a la carte options, and school lunch price increases, and make USDA’s easing of the meat and grain requirements permanent,” according to the Hill.

Yes, I am certain this will solve the problem. Anyone have a couple valium with which they would be willing to part in charity for a fellow human in pain?

God in heaven, please please PUH-LEEZE get the nationwide civil insurrection under weigh and let the hangings of "government" officials begin ASAP, for the rest of us stand in mortal peril.