PDA

View Full Version : MI-Ten shot at birthday party

Anti Federalist
06-21-2015, 01:03 PM
1 dead after 10 people shot at birthday party on Detroit's west side

9:31 PM, Jun 20, 2015

http://www.wxyz.com/news/5-people-shot-on-detroits-west-side-one-fatal

Detroit police are investigating a deadly shooting that happened at a child's birthday party on the city's west side.

Detroit Police Assistant Chief Steve Dolunt said shots were fired around 8:30 p.m. at the basketball courts at Dexter and Webb, where a large crowd of about 400 people were gathered for a birthday party.

A 20-year-old man was killed and a 46-year-old man is in critical condition. Eight other people, including three women and five men, were also shot and some were taken to the hospital. Dolunt said it was a "miracle" no children were shot.

Dolunt tells Action News patrol officers noticed the large crowds along Dexter around 6 p.m. and asked people to disperse. The party-goers were cooperative and police left. When they returned after shots were fired, police say the crowd dispersed quickly. Although dozens of people remained on the scene, investigators have not received any strong leads in the case.

Dolunt expressed his frustration during media interviews Saturday night.

“There’s kids out here. I’m livid. There’s no excuse, there’s not any excuse why no one is talking," he said. "Man up or woman up, whatever, and tell us what’s going on," he added.

Police say shots were fired from at least two semi-automatic weapons and that the deceased victim could have been an intended target.

Police took one man into custody on a misdemeanor warrant but it's unclear whether he was involved in the shooting. Detectives are also trying to find the owner of a red car that was found crashed and abandoned in a parking lot across the basketball courts. They believe the people in the car could have been hit in the shooting.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig will canvas the surrounding neighborhood Sunday afternoon.

phill4paul
06-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Summer time. Things are heating up.

Ronin Truth
06-21-2015, 01:49 PM
What birthday number was it?

tod evans
06-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Smart, not talking to kops.

There's nothing good that can come from it.

Pauls' Revere
06-21-2015, 01:57 PM
400 people at a birthday party? huh?

Anti Federalist
06-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Detroit Police Chief James Craig will canvas the surrounding neighborhood Sunday afternoon.

*tic

That means he is going to cover the neighborhood with a cotton tarp.

Canvass is what you mean.

*tic

tod evans
06-21-2015, 02:02 PM
400 people at a birthday party? huh?

Why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMf1lzbBsZ0

erowe1
06-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Smart, not talking to kops.

There's nothing good that can come from it.

Someone could make an anonymous tip.

If they lock up a murderer, I'd call that good.

tod evans
06-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Someone could make an anonymous tip.

If they lock up a murderer, I'd call that good.

Obviously 399 folks thought he needed killin'..........

angelatc
06-21-2015, 03:17 PM
When I saw the headline, I was fairly sure it did not happen in Brighton.

Ronin Truth
06-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Is there any indication of the racial persuasion of the birthday party shooter(s)?

oyarde
06-21-2015, 07:35 PM
I will probably not be attending any Birthday parties in Detroit with hundreds of people but that is just me I could say the same for Chicago ,Baltimore , Philadelphia etc. I am getting old , I enjoy a little quiet with my Bourbon

euphemia
06-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Kids' birthday parties have really gotten out of hand. Remember when people used to play Pin the Tail on the Donkey?

Ronin Truth
06-22-2015, 03:53 AM
I will probably not be attending any Birthday parties in Detroit with hundreds of people but that is just me I could say the same for Chicago ,Baltimore , Philadelphia etc. I am getting old , I enjoy a little quiet with my Bourbon

I hear ya, brother, I'll drink to that. :) Cheers!

Cissy
06-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Obviously 399 folks thought he needed killin'..........

I wouldn't say that. It's also possible that the other folks are keeping quiet to avoid another incident.

tod evans
06-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't say that. It's also possible that the other folks are keeping quiet to avoid another incident.

Could be......

Or maybe they're going to handle it themselves.

As far as I'm concerned anything is a better choice than involving kops and it seems as though the folks there think so too...

fisharmor
06-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Police say shots were fired from at least two semi-automatic weapons and that the deceased victim could have been an intended target.

Did they come to this conclusion on their own, or did a reporter goad that out of them?
I can kind of picture it:

"Chief Craig, do you think the deceased could have been an intended target?"
"What do you mean, like he meant for his bullets to hit him? Wait, does that really happen?"
"....Um, yeah. Do you think he intended to shoot the man who died."
"Well he fired his gun, and some of the bullets struck him. And then he voluntarily succumbed to his wounds."
"Look.... I mean do you think the shooter came here with the intent of killing this person. As in, is it a senseless act of violence, or was there an intended target."
"Look smartass, it sounds like you're second guessing our investigation. If you know what's good for you you'll leave the vicinity."