PDA

View Full Version : Maine Legislature Nullifies Federal Hemp Farming Ban

BarryDonegan
06-17-2015, 10:52 AM
http://truthinmedia.com/maine-legislature-nullifies-federal-hemp-farming-ban/

On Monday, the Maine Legislature overrode Republican Governor Paul LePage's veto of a GOP-sponsored bill that nullifies the federal government's ban on commercial hemp farming in the state.

Ender
06-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Excellent!

Now let's see if the Feds come in and imprison all those who try to grow hemp in Maine.

luctor-et-emergo
06-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Excellent!

Now let's see if the Feds come in and imprison all those who try to grow hemp in Maine.

Well I sure hope not. I've seen enough ridiculous stuff lately.

Ender
06-17-2015, 11:13 AM

Hemp is not a drug but the reason the sister plant, marijuana, is illegal. Hemp is a major source of oil, canvas, rope, etc and Big Corps can't have the competition.

Ender
06-17-2015, 11:14 AM

Hemp is not a drug but the reason the sister plant, marijuana, is illegal. Hemp is a major source of oil, canvas, rope, etc and Big Corps can't have the competition.

DUPE- but worth saying twice. :)

pcosmar
06-17-2015, 11:46 AM

Same plants.

Different uses.

Ender
06-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Same plants.

Different uses.

Key Difference: Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis plant and is derived from the Cannabis sativa L species. Hemp is popular due to the low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) level in the plant, which makes it useless as a psychoactive drug. Cannabis is a plant that is native to Central Asia and South Asia and is found in three major species: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis. It is most sought after for its psychoactive properties and is used as a recreational drug.

luctor-et-emergo
06-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Key Difference: Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis plant and is derived from the Cannabis sativa L species. Hemp is popular due to the low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) level in the plant, which makes it useless as a psychoactive drug. Cannabis is a plant that is native to Central Asia and South Asia and is found in three major species: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis. It is most sought after for its psychoactive properties and is used as a recreational drug.

Nope, you are wrong. Same species. It's subspecies (at most). They can perfectly interbreed as well. The only major difference is that hemp spends it energy on growing taller instead of producing cannabinoids at higher percentage.

Ender
06-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Nope, you are wrong. Same species. It's subspecies (at most). They can perfectly interbreed as well. The only major difference is that hemp spends it energy on growing taller instead of producing cannabinoids at higher percentage.

The difference is that hemp cannot get you high- they are sister plants:

What's the difference between hemp and marijuana?

Marijuana and hemp are different varieties of the same species of plant, Cannabis sativa L. There are different varieties of Cannabis, just as Chihuahuas and wolves are different breeds of Canis lupus. They are scientifically different and cultivated in different ways.

Marijuana is the flowering tops and leaves of psychoactive varieties of Cannabis that are grown for their high THC content.

It is used legally in some states, excluding Wisconsin, for medical reasons, and is used for recreational purposes as an illegal drug.

Unlike hemp, marijuana has a high THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) content and a low CBD (cannabidiol) content. CBD blocks the psychoactive effect of THC in the nervous system. That means in all plants in the Cannabis family, there is a chemical that will induce a psychoactive effect and another that will block it. The illegal drug is cultivated to have a THC content of anywhere from 3 percent to 22 percent. The ratio of CBD to THC is less than one.

Hemp, or industrial hemp, is a cultivated, low-THC variety of Cannabis. It is grown for its seeds, oil and fiber.

Industrial hemp has a low THC content compared to its CBD content. THC is typically less than 1 percent. Certified varieties in Canada and Europe are bred with the THC level purposefully decreased to less than .3 percent, the same THC level under recommendation if hemp farming is legalized in Wisconsin.

Ditch weed is hemp found growing in the wild, usually near places where it was once cultivated. It has a low THC level.

Sources: www.votehemp.com and "Hemp and Marijuana: Myths and Realities" By David West, Ph.D, for the North American Industrial Hemp Council

Read more: http://host.madison.com/what-s-the-difference-between-hemp-and-marijuana/article_fb7c0968-3122-11df-a8de-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz3dLXf7HIX

pcosmar
06-17-2015, 12:59 PM
The difference is that hemp cannot get you high- they are sister plants:

BULLSHIT
I understand why some promote this bullshit in an attempt at legalization.. But it is bullshit.
Cannabis sativa is Cannabis sativa.

The only difference is cultivation and use..

For "industrial" use the leaves and flower tops are discarded. Only the stalks and seeds are used. There is no THC in the stalks and seeds.

When grown for THC.. Stalks and seeds are discarded. There is no THC in them.

There are differences in cultivation,, depending on the use.

Tall plants with are good for fibre.. and pollinated plants are good for seed production.

Short plants (cropped) and Un-pollinated are good for many sticky buds..
but that is cultivation,.

Industrial Hemp is Cannabis sativa,, and has THC. but is not grown for THC. Those parts of the plant are discarded.

parocks
06-17-2015, 02:36 PM

I wouldn't say that Hemp is not a drug. It's not the same drug as marijuana - but Hemp does have CBDs, which don't get you high, but could be replacing big pharma things.

http://hempmedspx.com/about-Hemp-Stalk-Oil
Hemp Stalk Oil is the oil that is pressed from the mature stalk of the hemp plant and contains many naturally occurring cannabinoids and terpenes.

I guess hemp should be illegal because politicians rely on contributions from pharma. The laws are supposed to benefit politicians and political contributors, I how I understand it. From the standpoint of the people who live in the country, certainly everything is completely terrible, but apparently, awfulness is the goal, and new innovations are basically new methods to transfer money from me to someone who I think shouldn't be getting it. Almost everything sucks.

Hooray for Maine, though, in this case.

Ender
06-17-2015, 02:41 PM
BULLSHIT
I understand why some promote this bullshit in an attempt at legalization.. But it is bullshit.

For "industrial" use the leaves and flower tops are discarded. Only the stalks and seeds are used. There is no THC in the stalks and seeds.

Tall plants with are good for fibre.. and pollinated plants are good for seed production.

Industrial Hemp is Cannabis sativa,, and has THC. but is not grown for THC. Those parts of the plant are discarded.

No..... BULLSHIT to YOU, good sir.

Saying Hemp & Marijuana are the same is like saying men and women are the same- the only difference is that men are taller.

According to Dan Sutton of Tantulus Labs, a Canadian company that specializes in cannabis cultivation technology, “the core agricultural differences between medical cannabis and hemp are largely in their genetic parentage and cultivation environment.”

In fact, scientists believe the early separation of the cannabis gene pool led to two distinct types of cannabis plants. The two species (or subspecies) of cannabis are known as Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa.

2. THC Content
Cannabis plants contain unique compounds called cannabinoids. Current research has revealed over 60 different cannabinoids so far, but THC is the most well known. THC is credited with causing the marijuana high.

While marijuana plants contain high levels of THC, hemp contains very little of the psychoactive chemical. This single difference is what most rely on to distinguish hemp from marijuana. For example, countries like Canada have set the maximum THC content of hemp at 0.3%. Any cannabis with higher THC levels is considered marijuana instead.

In comparison, medical marijuana produces anywhere between 5-20% THC on average, with prize strains tipping the scale at 25-30% THC.

Hemp and marijuana plants contain another important cannabinoid: CBD. Hemp plants produce more CBD than THC, while marijuana produces more THC than CBD. Interestingly, research has shown that CBD acts to reduce the psychoactive effects of THC, separating hemp further from marijuana.

3. Cultivation

Hemp and marijuana are grown for different uses, and therefore require different growing conditions.

“Medical cannabis has been selectively bred over generations, and its characteristics are optimized in its cultivation environment to produce female flowering plants that yield budding flowers at the flowering stage of their life cycle,” explains Sutton.

In contrast, Sutton describes hemp plants as “primarily male, without representing flowering buds at any stage in their life cycle.” Instead, centuries of selective breeding have resulted in “relatively low concentrations of THC, and tall, fast growing plants optimized for higher stalk harvests.”

Achieving maximum THC levels in marijuana is tricky and requires close attention to grow-room conditions. Marijuana growers usually aim to maintain stable light, temperature, humidity, CO2 and oxygen levels, among other things.

On the other hand, hemp is usually grown outdoors to maximize its size and yield and less attention is paid to individual plants.

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/09/16/5-differences-hemp-marijuana/

parocks
06-17-2015, 02:51 PM
BULLSHIT

Not true, entirely. We all know that 2 marijuana plants grown from seeds taken from the same bud of the same plant can result in vastly different plants with different different chemical characteristics. The plants that they use for growing hemp are vastly different from the plants used to grow smokable marijuana. But, when it comes down to it, yes, Cannabis sativa (and Cannabis Indica) - the marijuana grown for smoking is typically some sort of cross of sativa and indica. Apparently (i'm not sure about this) - most of the marijuana from 50+ years ago and older was sativa, and it was in the last 50 years that the indica genes got started to get crossed in. Indica landraces were, I think, Afghan, whereas almost everywhere else, sativa. Shorter, stockier, bushier, fatter, tighter buds, that's indica. 10 foot tall plants - sativa. It's 2015 now (I'm old) and it was approximately 30 years ago (1985) when a new and exciting product came on the market - sensimilla - Wow! what an innovation! Marijuana Without Seeds! Before that - all marijuana had seeds. And sticks and stems. Because, I guess, prior to that, people really didn't know or care what people wanted in a bag. We're talking 30 years of seedless marijuana. And less than 30 years (mostly) of marijuana with names like "Northern Lights". Consciously bred from Sativa and Indica strains. In the 70's, there were names like "Columbian Gold" and "Panama Red" - sativa landraces, where through inbreeding, the marijuana achieved a degree of uniformity.

parocks
06-17-2015, 02:53 PM
No..... BULLSHIT to YOU, good sir.

Saying Hemp & Marijuana are the same is like saying men and women are the same- the only difference is that men are taller.

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/09/16/5-differences-hemp-marijuana/

Primarily male? Uh huh. Sounds right to me opadope.

"Achieving maximum THC levels in marijuana is tricky and requires close attention to grow-room conditions. Marijuana growers usually aim to maintain stable light, temperature, humidity, CO2 and oxygen levels, among other things."

Achieving maximum THC levels in marijuana is not something that growers shoot for.

There are, maybe, 20 message boards on the internet, 20 popular ones, where people talk about growing marijuana. And they never talk about how to "achieve maximum THC levels" within the context of growing. People don't know how to do that. They talk about growing good plants. The THC is either in the seed or in the clone or it isn't.
People think that they can get bigger buds by adding more phosphorus - that's arguable, but it's commonly believed, and they talk about light wavelengths - but the goal is to grow good plants cheaply.
e
Those things - stable light (like a timer) - when you've grown a plant big enough, and you want buds to start forming - you switch to 12/12. Those other things temp, humidity, co2 and oxygen are really guidelines for experts, where ball park is good enough. Nutes wasn't mentioned, watering wasn't mentioned. But the key thing is that they want Big plants with buds with bag appeal. They know the seed or clone they're getting, they know the characteristics of those plants - a NL5 might want more nutes or less K and more N or whatever the case is - but growers simply do not talk about growing with the goal of maximizing THC - they talk about good plants. Most have customers, and they want to provide a quality product to their customers, or they'll use chem ferts, and keep on pushing chem ferts on them without flushing because they just want to make the most money. But THC is either in the seed/clone or it is not. At least that the current state of the art.

Sunlight is better than indoor light, period, it's brighter, more lux - 100K lux or so at noon - and plants have evolved or God to use the wavelengths that the sun provides.

It's true that hemp has been bred for characteristics that don't include THC, but it wouldn't take too many generations of breeding to come up with "Hemp" that looks exactly like "Hemp" but has a lot of THC. They'll cross. You take a low THC tall growing Hemp plant and cross it with maybe something like Thai (or some other sativa landrace), a tall gangly tiny bud plant with THC, and some of the phenos will likely look just like hemp but will have the THC of the Thai.

"hemp is usually grown outdoors to maximize its size and yield and less attention is paid to individual plants."

Marijuana is usually grown indoors to hide it from thieves and the government.

If marijuana was as legal as it should be, it wouldn't be grown indoors at all, or only in special occasions. This expert doesn't seem to understand that most of the marijuana imported in the US from Mexico is grown outdoors. Unless things have changed, this would be known as Mexibrick.

In Canada, if it has more than .3% THC, it's not called hemp. I get it. But it's the same thing.

pcosmar
06-17-2015, 04:25 PM
In Canada, if it has more than .3% THC, it's not called hemp. I get it. But it's the same thing.

.3% THC ?

Where is that measured?

from a picked and cleaned flower top? Or the content of the entire plant?

dannno
06-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Primarily male? Uh huh. Sounds right to me opadope.

"Achieving maximum THC levels in marijuana is tricky and requires close attention to grow-room conditions. Marijuana growers usually aim to maintain stable light, temperature, humidity, CO2 and oxygen levels, among other things."

Achieving maximum THC levels in marijuana is not something that growers shoot for.

There are, maybe, 20 message boards on the internet, 20 popular ones, where people talk about growing marijuana. And they never talk about how to "achieve maximum THC levels" within the context of growing. People don't know how to do that. They talk about growing good plants. The THC is either in the seed or in the clone or it isn't.
People think that they can get bigger buds by adding more phosphorus - that's arguable, but it's commonly believed, and they talk about light wavelengths - but the goal is to grow good plants cheaply.
e
Those things - stable light (like a timer) - when you've grown a plant big enough, and you want buds to start forming - you switch to 12/12. Those other things temp, humidity, co2 and oxygen are really guidelines for experts, where ball park is good enough. Nutes wasn't mentioned, watering wasn't mentioned. But the key thing is that they want Big plants with buds with bag appeal. They know the seed or clone they're getting, they know the characteristics of those plants - a NL5 might want more nutes or less K and more N or whatever the case is - but growers simply do not talk about growing with the goal of maximizing THC - they talk about good plants. Most have customers, and they want to provide a quality product to their customers, or they'll use chem ferts, and keep on pushing chem ferts on them without flushing because they just want to make the most money. But THC is either in the seed/clone or it is not. At least that the current state of the art.

Sunlight is better than indoor light, period, it's brighter, more lux - 100K lux or so at noon - and plants have evolved or God to use the wavelengths that the sun provides.

It's true that hemp has been bred for characteristics that don't include THC, but it wouldn't take too many generations of breeding to come up with "Hemp" that looks exactly like "Hemp" but has a lot of THC. They'll cross. You take a low THC tall growing Hemp plant and cross it with maybe something like Thai (or some other sativa landrace), a tall gangly tiny bud plant with THC, and some of the phenos will likely look just like hemp but will have the THC of the Thai.

"hemp is usually grown outdoors to maximize its size and yield and less attention is paid to individual plants."

Marijuana is usually grown indoors to hide it from thieves and the government.

If marijuana was as legal as it should be, it wouldn't be grown indoors at all, or only in special occasions. This expert doesn't seem to understand that most of the marijuana imported in the US from Mexico is grown outdoors. Unless things have changed, this would be known as Mexibrick.

I am completely befuddled by your post...

Growers absolutely do try and grow buds with higher THC levels by increasing the production of oils and resins. Now, it may be that the oils and resins will have a similar ratio of THC / CBD based on the strain and that growing conditions cannot have a significant impact on this ratio as far as the plants are healthy, not sure, but growers absolutely try to produce buds with higher resin content which would lead to a higher percentage of THC to plant volume or mass.

The other issue is when harvesting occurs effects the ratio of THC to CBDs and this is widely discussed by growers. When approx. 90% of the resin glands (there is a better name for these 'resin glands' - +rep for whoever can remind me) - when 90% are cloudy white and approx. 10% are turning reddish in color, the THC content is at it's maximum and this is usually the optimal time for harvesting and beginning the drying and curing process. Before this time, the resin glands are clear and immature, once they turn red they are beginning to degrade. They are actually turning into CBNs, which is a type of Cannabinoid that causes people to become tired. So THC is more psychoactive, and it degrades into something that gives more of a 'couch lock' high with a higher CBD/THC ratio if harvested later.

parocks
06-17-2015, 07:19 PM
.3% THC ?

Where is that measured?

from a picked and cleaned flower top? Or the content of the entire plant?

I have no idea. I'm pretty much on your side here I think. Hemp shouldn't have any phenos that have anything but minimal THC, if they've been breeding it out for years, it's not unrealistic to think they've achieved that. It wouldn't take experts more than a couple years, a handful of generations, to make Hemp with all the same properties except higher THC. The difference between hemp and marijuana is like the difference between a lab and a poodle. Both are dogs.

parocks
06-17-2015, 08:02 PM
I am completely befuddled by your post...

Growers absolutely do try and grow buds with higher THC levels by increasing the production of oils and resins. Now, it may be that the oils and resins will have a similar ratio of THC / CBD based on the strain and that growing conditions cannot have a significant impact on this ratio as far as the plants are healthy, not sure, but growers absolutely try to produce buds with higher resin content which would lead to a higher percentage of THC to plant volume or mass.

The other issue is when harvesting occurs effects the ratio of THC to CBDs and this is widely discussed by growers. When approx. 90% of the resin glands (there is a better name for these 'resin glands' - +rep for whoever can remind me) - when 90% are cloudy white and approx. 10% are turning reddish in color, the THC content is at it's maximum and this is usually the optimal time for harvesting and beginning the drying and curing process. Before this time, the resin glands are clear and immature, once they turn red they are beginning to degrade. They are actually turning into CBNs, which is a type of Cannabinoid that causes people to become tired. So THC is more psychoactive, and it degrades into something that gives more of a 'couch lock' high with a higher CBD/THC ratio if harvested later.

Oils?

You have a link to a growing trying to say that he's trying to increase the amount of oils? Resin, ok, although resin isn't a word growers seem to use much either, as much as Trichsomes. Now, there are things that people do to increase the number of trichs with lights, but there's a disagreement about whether using certain lights increases the number of trichs, or simply prevents the bud from growing, but keeping the number of trichs the same. MH, and bluer "cool whites" are said to result in smaller, frostier buds. They don't talk about increasing THC percentage, and I haven't read much about that. I'm not sure about what THC percentage even means, really, technically. The THC is said to be in the trichs, and frosty white trichs have bag appeal, but marijuana without pronounced trichs still works. I'm just saying that growers aren't thinking about increasing THC percentage. They have ideas about how they want to proceed, and by proceeding in one of many directions they might end up increasing the THC percentage or lowering it, but they aren't thinking - the way the author says they are - about growing to increase THC.

"Achieving maximum THC levels in marijuana is tricky" - yes it is, and growers aren't trying to do that. The breeder might or might not. The grower might or might not.
But the author is acting like "achieving maximum THC levels" is what the growers are trying to do. If MH gives smaller, frostier buds, and smaller frostier buds have (theoretically) more THC, then people use MH? Not usually. HPS makes bigger buds, and some growers might prefer bigger buds, even if the trichs aren't spaced as closely.

That article presupposed some sort of scientific expertise that typically isn't there. All that "perfect co2" stuff is bs. And that article pretends that the reason why those things are done the way they're done is because that's the best way to do it. It isn't. It's because of laws that marijuana is often grown indoors. If there were no laws, it would rarely be grown indoors. The laws are what make marijuana expensive. Because it's expensive, and because some people really like money, they are willing to spend $1K instead of $500 if the value of what they're growing increases from $4K to $5K. That math might be flawed, but the principle is the same. If a perfectly sealed room with extra co2 allows more, brighter lights and more output (or higher quality) per square foot, they might do that. But that extra CO2 isn't going to make something that can't be achieved outside under the sun. Outdoor plants can be really really big. Outdoors, they could be eaten by insects or animals, indoors, you're removing those risks. If you could and did grow as much as you wanted outdoors and everyone did, if it became, like it should be, just another plant, people wouldn't be installing CO2 systems. The quality of outdoor is not worse or better than indoor, and that article seemed to imply that special measures need to be taken to grow high quality marijuana. Not really, most is good seeds or a good clone, and general gardening skills.

parocks
06-17-2015, 08:08 PM
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=271780 - here's a grower website with a ton of real info on hemp, and, in other areas, marijuana growing. Instead of msm feeding questionable/weak info, there's informed people talking amongst themselves. It's like, who would you ask about Ron Paul - us, or "journalist".

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6019952&postcount=19 - here's a post from someone who actually did the breeding of the actual hemp variety "Finola", the type of hemp they grow in Finland.