PDA

View Full Version : Major Fraud Uncovered at Bronx VA Hospital

AuH20
06-16-2015, 11:07 AM
This one is bad.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/06/16/one-magical-bronx-va-hospital-made-54m-disappear/

Employees in the purchasing department of a VA hospital in the Bronx, N.Y., had used government purchase cards like credit cards at least 2,000 times to buy prosthetic legs and arms for veterans.

Each time they swiped the cards, it was for $24,999. That was precisely one dollar below VA’s charging limit for purchase cards…

And the attempted cover-up....

When word reached Congress about the $54,435,743 worth of prosthetics bought under such odd circumstances over two years — the subject of an inspector general investigation announced Monday — lawmakers demanded details. But they were told there was no documentation.

VA officials had prepared to tell Congress that the records had been destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, according to previously undisclosed records, until a senior adviser in the Secretary’s office pointed out that the timing was wrong and the excuse wouldn’t hold up…

VA officials had received an inquiry from Congress in September 2012 about the Bronx payments, but a letter signed by former secretary Eric Shinseki did not go out until July 2013. The agency had prepared to say that the records had been transferred to VA’s medical center in Manhattan, where they were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy, documents obtained by The Post show.

But in reviewing the claim that the records had been destroyed, a senior adviser in Shinseki’s office was skeptical. “Gemma — this isn’t going to work,” the adviser wrote in an e-mail obtained by The Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2015/06/16/the-mysterious-case-of-54-million-va-spent-on-prosthetics-in-24999-payments/?wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

phill4paul
06-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Like in any other government bureaucracy this will continue to happen until there is accountability. Until individuals that oversee these abuses are jailed for sufficient lengths of time so as to discourage others there will be no change. But, that will not happen because each is as crooked as the other and to punish one might bring punishment to them all.

Ronin Truth
06-16-2015, 11:20 AM
"The system is corrupt, beyond redemption, and is not worthy of my support!"

enhanced_deficit
06-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Michelle Obama had tried to improve things when she visited there. There should be better vetting.

2 men charged with distributing cocaine from Bronx VA..
www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc.../2-men-charged-distri...
Daily News
Sep 4, 2014 - Two men charged with distributing cocaine from Bronx VA hospital. Robert Tucker, 64, and ... NEW YORK DAILY NEWS. Thursday, September 4 ... Obama announces VA improvements to American Legion ...

erowe1
06-16-2015, 11:22 AM
They need more funding.

otherone
06-17-2015, 06:05 AM
They need more funding.

and/or more government.
NEXT!

tod evans
06-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Like in any other government bureaucracy this will continue to happen until there is accountability. Until individuals that oversee these abuses are jailed for sufficient lengths of time so as to discourage others there will be no change. But, that will not happen because each is as crooked as the other and to punish one might bring punishment to them all.

I say fuck the courts-n-jails and turn 'em over to the amputees and their families...

timosman
06-17-2015, 06:31 AM
Sandy was not even a hurricane. This looks like a high level cover-up. Eventually a low level grunt will take the blame for this.

oyarde
06-17-2015, 08:24 AM
That is a very large scam , lots of people had to be in on it.

luctor-et-emergo
06-17-2015, 08:31 AM
VA officials had prepared to tell Congress that the records had been destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, according to previously undisclosed records, until a senior adviser in the Secretary’s office pointed out that the timing was wrong and the excuse wouldn’t hold up…

Is it just me or is this even more hilarious than it is serious ?

timosman
06-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Is it just me or is this even more hilarious than it is serious ?

What's hilarious is what they think they can get away with. This is just a tip of the iceberg. :eek:

AuH20
06-17-2015, 08:34 AM
As you peel the layers away it even gets even more comical. Why should any of us file a tax return again if this SOP for a government agency?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150616006664/en/Legion-VA-Find-Missing-54-Million-Documentation#.VYGEvflVhBc

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--“Unbelievable,” was how American Legion National Commander Michael D. Helm described a report that more than $54.4 million of prosthetics were purchased by VA employees in the Bronx using government credit cards.

“Nothing here passes the smell test,” Helm said. “Each time the government cards were used for this purpose, it was for $24,999. This is just under the limit for the contracting guidelines. It’s either a remarkable coincidence or an orchestrated effort to get around contracting requirements. The president promised to preside over ‘the most transparent administration in history.’ Apparently VA didn’t get the memo.”

Helm pointed out that for the total to be so high, the Bronx VA must be providing an extraordinarily high amount of prosthetics. “By my math it comes out to 2,177 transactions. Moreover, we hear that VA officials wanted to tell Congress that documents were destroyed by Hurricane Sandy when the dates don’t even match up. What next, the dog ate my homework? The American Legion has long supported the Department of Veterans Affairs because we believe the government has a solemn obligation to care for our veterans. But every day – with each scandal – it becomes more and more difficult. This is not just a slap in the face to our heroes who need prosthetics, but a complete disregard for the taxpayers who fund such purchases. We call on Congress and the administration to insist that VA document how this money was spent or refer this case to the Justice Department for possible prosecution.”

Good luck with that my friend. Good luck. The DOJ covers up crimes made by their flunkies in the other departments.

phill4paul
06-17-2015, 08:37 AM
I say fuck the courts-n-jails and turn 'em over to the amputees and their families...

That'll work.

phill4paul
06-17-2015, 08:39 AM
As you peel the layers away it even gets even more comical. Why should any of us file a tax return again if this SOP for a government agency?

It's one of the many reasons why I do not.

AuH20
06-17-2015, 08:46 AM
That'll work.

With each passing day we're getting closer.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/56551229.jpg

Cleaner44
06-17-2015, 10:18 AM
It would be better all around just to give every veteran $100,000 and shut down the VA.

jonhowe
06-17-2015, 10:33 AM
I can see the hospital from my window.

I know a few people who used to work there who said it was just madness. Apathy is the main word they use.