PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul, the NSA, John McCain, and Salon.com

jct74
06-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Rand Paul, the NSA, John McCain, and Salon.com

by Eoin Higgins
06/12/2015 2:54 pm EDT

Rand Paul's temporary stopping of the Patriot Act's bulk metadata collection has spurred a predictable assault from both the mainstream left and the mainstream right. Two particular examples show the strange political mating that can take place when interests align.

First, on Sunday night, May 31, John McCain grumbled on the Senate floor that Rand Paul was letting the world burn to score political points. Then, on Monday, June 1, Salon published an article arguing that the collection of big data is a net positive for people of color and that Paul's attack on the NSA is a function of his white privilege.

The alliance between Salon and McCain against Rand Paul is an interesting coming together of political foes. Essentially, their loathing of Paul overcomes their loathing of each other. For McCain, making common cause with a liberal online magazine that spent the entirety of the 2008 Presidential election cycle savaging him must be an odd feeling. And for Salon, allying with the man who gave us the Palins must be similarly odd.

But it makes sense when you think about it.

read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eoin-higgins/rand-paul-the-nsa-john-mc_b_7570500.html

jaymur
06-13-2015, 10:37 PM
"The collection of metadata is a net positive for people of color?"

Sola_Fide
06-13-2015, 10:45 PM
That Salon.com article they are referencing is one of the most absurd things I've ever read.

angelatc
06-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Salon.commust be paying big money to get people to notice them or something. The sooner they go bankrupt the righter the world will be.

r3volution 3.0
06-13-2015, 10:56 PM
"The collection of metadata is a net positive for people of color?"

It was a good one, thought it was satire while I was reading it, and for a while after - nope.

The argument was that human intelligence, normal police work, allows for racial prejudice - while a computer collecting everything on everyone is color-blind!

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2274124/82733155.jpg

r3volution 3.0
06-13-2015, 10:57 PM
dupe

r3volution 3.0
06-13-2015, 10:57 PM
dupe, wtf

Occam's Banana
06-13-2015, 11:06 PM
"The collection of metadata is a net positive for people of color?" http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?475888-What-if-Rand-Paul-were-Muslim-The-white-privileged-assumptions-behind-his-Patriot-Act-%93princ

Virgil
06-14-2015, 12:10 AM
Fairly good article, lots of bashing of McCain and salon, which I like.

-Virgil

eleganz
06-14-2015, 02:02 AM
Salon is sad.

McCain is depressing.

acptulsa
06-14-2015, 05:38 AM
It was a good one, thought it was satire while I was reading it, and for a while after - nope.

The argument was that human intelligence, normal police work, allows for racial prejudice - while a computer collecting everything on everyone is color-blind!

First, the fact that the head psychos in charge are just as bad for everyone and not good for anyone is hardly a selling point.

Second, computers aren't 'colorblind'. Race is among the data collected and computers can single out any ethnicity as ruthlessly as any bigot.

Third, I feel sorry for the Onion. If they keep up with Washington's insanity, people will say, 'I thought this was satire. It isn't satire if it's too over the top.' Otherwise, people say, 'Why read the Onion? What Washington actually does is goofier than they can conceive.