PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Rebel To Block Obama's Trade Deals

charrob
06-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Democrats Rebel To Block Obama's Trade Deals (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/obama-trade-deal_n_7569874.html)

WASHINGTON -- Democrats rebelled against President Barack Obama's ambitious trade agenda Friday, spurning his last-second personal appeal and blocking a measure in the House that would have granted him the power to fast-track sweeping, secretive international agreements through Congress.

The Democrats' revolt focused on a provision that they would normally back -- something called Trade Adjustment Assistance, or TAA, which would pay to help retrain workers whose jobs get shipped overseas by trade deals -- knowing that killing it would bring fast-track down with it.

But weeks of telephone calls from the White House, countless meetings, negotiations, public feuds and a last-minute trip to Capitol Hill from the president himself did nothing to sway Democrats and the GOP's conservative wing against Obama's trade agenda. In an especially stinging rebuke, Obama lost the key vote, 302 to 126, despite his personal lobbying just hours before.

"If TAA slows down the fast-track, I am prepared to vote against TAA," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said on the House floor. “Because I'm sad to say it’s the only way that we will be able to slow down the fast-track. If TAA fails, the fast-track bill is stopped.”

Feelgood
06-13-2015, 12:46 AM
God help me. Now I am rooting for Pelosi?

timosman
06-13-2015, 01:04 AM
God help me. Now I am rooting for Pelosi?

Yeah, what the heck is GOP doing ?