PDA

View Full Version : US officials to ask secret court to revive NSA surveillance so it can end it

tsai3904
06-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Back from the dead: US officials to ask secret court to revive NSA surveillance

Obama administration sees unconventional legal circumstance as means to temporarily reinstate bulk collection using same law that banned practice

by Spencer Ackerman
3 June 2015

The Obama administration intends to use part of a law banning the bulk collection of US phone records to temporarily restart the bulk collection of US phone records.

US officials confirmed to the Guardian that in the coming days they will ask a secret surveillance court to revive the program – deemed illegal by a federal appeals court – all in the name of “transitioning” the domestic surveillance effort to the telephone companies that generate the so-called “call detail records” the government seeks to access.

The unconventional and unexpected legal circumstance depends on a section of the USA Freedom Act, which Obama signed into law on Tuesday, that provides a six-month grace period to prepare the surveillance and legal bureaucracies for a world in which the National Security Agency is no longer the repository of bulk US phone metadata.

During that time, the act’s ban on bulk collection will not yet take effect.

More:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/03/nsa-surveillance-fisa-court

CPUd
06-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Yeah, there's no way they would be able to do a complete migration if the production system is offline. Mostly because of all the tests they would need to do. I doubt they would be able to do it in 6 months, and we may see them trying to extend that another 6 months.

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 01:58 PM
Standard fed double-speak and gobbledy-gook malarky. :p :mad:

Henry Rogue
06-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I won't bother asking, what the chances are, that the secret court will deny the temporary reinstatement. Government does what it wants to do, no laws or Constitution will prevent that reality. The only thing that might make a government hesitate, is the possible uncertainty concerning the populace and that's just a matter of conditioning.

wizardwatson
06-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Standard fed double-speak and gobbledy-gook malarky. :p :mad:

Don't worry, the Administration is neither confounding the programs nor dividing the essence. ;)

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Don't worry, the Administration is neither confounding the programs nor dividing the essence. ;)

Flashback to, had to destroy the village to save it, BS.

wizardwatson
06-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Flashback to, had to destroy the village to save it, BS.

Kind of like fracking?

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Kind of like fracking? Not, sure. Maybe I just don't really know enough about fracking. The explanations seem pretty reasonable to me.