PDA

View Full Version : The USA "Freedom" Act Passes

morfeeis
06-02-2015, 03:30 PM
The proposed amendments Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) introduced earlier today to weaken the USA Freedom Act were all rejected this afternoon by the full Senate. After his failure, the Senate voted in favor of the Freedom Act as it was additionally delivered to the Senate (meaning amendments by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) would not be considered).

Ultimately the USA Freedom Act, which is meant to replace sunsetted Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act with stricter rules for the collection of Americans’ telephone and electronic metadata by the National Security Agency (NSA), was approved unamended. The final vote was 67-32. It will now head to President Barack Obama for his signature. The White House has already declared support for this version of the bill.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/02/senate-approves-restrictions-on-surveill

well that was almost two whole days.....

Sola_Fide
06-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Freedumb

Uriel999
06-02-2015, 03:36 PM
I can't wait to see the 'Merica Act.

Suzanimal
06-02-2015, 03:40 PM
From Lew Rockwell's FB page

http://i.imgur.com/JAqJWIB.png

phill4paul
06-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I can't wait to see the 'Merica Act.

That'll be a good one. I'm sure it will deal with creating a North 'Merican Union.

tod evans
06-02-2015, 03:46 PM
That'll be a good one. I'm sure it will deal with creating a North 'Merican Union.

Or EPA/Greenie regulations......

The names don't denote what's in the bill........

Origanalist
06-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Do they ever?

wizardwatson
06-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Well, it's not propaganda. It just happens to be what the acronymn turned out to spell. You silly conspiracy theorists and your wacked out ideas. :rolleyes:

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001

ZENemy
06-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Stop funding it.

pcosmar
06-02-2015, 04:20 PM
SO,,?

who do we have to thank for this Freedom?

pcosmar
06-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Well, it's not propaganda. It just happens to be what the acronymn turned out to spell. You silly conspiracy theorists and your wacked out ideas. :rolleyes:

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001

The title of the act is a ten-letter backronym (USA FREEDOM) that stands for "Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ending Eavesdropping, Dragnet-collection and Online Monitoring Act."

Yeah,, and it was supposed to amend just one section of the Patriot Act,, which is allegedly dead anyway.

So just what purpose does this charade play?

johndeal
06-02-2015, 04:44 PM
We were able to rename obamacare. Why can't we do the same thing with other acts of Congress?

If you're going to shape the debate, you need to be able to name things.

pcosmar
06-02-2015, 04:52 PM
We were able to rename obamacare. Why can't we do the same thing with other acts of Congress?

If you're going to shape the debate, you need to be able to name things.

I thought they just renamed RomneyCare,, to reflect the current administration.

I do not want to rename,, I would rather eliminate.

Root
06-02-2015, 04:55 PM
I feel safer already.

Gave the guns a good cleaning today.

Slave Mentality
06-02-2015, 05:29 PM
We are witnesses to the best propaganda machine that the world has ever seen, but they still suck at it.

Dianne
06-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Yeah, any other group who names themselves with "Patriot" or "Freedom" in their names, will be hunted down, alienated, arrested, droned, or anything else befitting of words that are alleged to be associated with terrorist organizations pursuant to the Southern Poverty Law Center. I guess SPLC is correct, lol.

charrob
06-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Final Vote on USA "Freedom" Act:

So altogether only 2 Senators ultimately stood with Rand and voted against the "Freedom" act because it did not restrict NSA enough:

Rand Paul
Bernie Sanders
Tammy Baldwin

29 Senators voted against the "Freedom" act because of fear the USA Freedom Act would weaken NSA abilities to spy:

Barrasso (R-WY)
Blunt (R-MO)
Burr (R-NC)
Coats (R-IN)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Cotton (R-AR)
Crapo (R-ID)
Enzi (R-WY)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Hatch (R-UT)
Isakson (R-GA)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Perdue (R-GA)
Portman (R-OH)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sasse (R-NE)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Toomey (R-PA)
Wicker (R-MS)
Everyone else except Lindsay Graham (who didn't vote) voted For the USA "Freedom" Act:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=114&session=1&vote=00201

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier today voting to filibuster the USA Freedom Act were:

Voting to filibuster because of wanting to reign in the NSA more:

Rand Paul
Bernie Sanders
Tom Udall

Voting to filibuster because of fear the USA Freedom Act would weaken NSA abilities to spy:

Ernst
Roberts
Crapo
Moran
Shelby
Barrasso
Rubio
Enzi
Cotton
Sessions
Risch
Everyone else voted against the filibuster: http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/senate-votes-usa-freedom-act-patriot-act-nsa-authority/?dcz=

osan
06-03-2015, 08:10 AM
What a fucking RIOT... AmeriKa ZFH!*

<goosestep> <goosestep> <goosestep> HEIL!

<goosestep> <goosestep> <goosestep> HEIL! ...

* ZFH = acromyn for Sieg Fukkin' Heil. 'Z' in place of 'S' simply because I prefer it.
Use it liberally. ZFH!

osan
06-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Stop funding it.

Yeah, in what universe?

johndeal
06-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I thought they just renamed RomneyCare,, to reflect the current administration.

I do not want to rename,, I would rather eliminate.

Sure we want it eliminated. But we need people to use our language in the debate on this stuff so we need appropriate names for the legislation when we debate it. As long as we are calling them the PATRIOT and FREEDOM acts we're at a disadvantage.

Using the word Obamacare sets 40% of people against it from the get go (but also gets 45% of people for it). We need names for these acts of congress that will sway public opinion against the acts.

DamianTV
06-04-2015, 09:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxroiTRg7Tg

pcosmar
06-04-2015, 10:04 AM
We need names for these acts of congress that will sway public opinion against the acts.

No,, Wrong.

We don't need these "Acts" at all..

We need to eliminate them,, not rename them.

georgiaboy
06-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Final Vote on USA "Freedom" Act:

So altogether only 2 Senators ultimately stood with Rand and voted against the "Freedom" act because it did not restrict NSA enough:

Rand Paul
Bernie Sanders
Tammy Baldwin

29 Senators voted against the "Freedom" act because of fear the USA Freedom Act would weaken NSA abilities to spy:

[list]
Isakson (R-GA)
Perdue (R-GA)

Yeah, I was surprised when I saw my two GA guys voted against it. Obvious cya vote is obvious.

tod evans
06-04-2015, 10:18 AM
No,, Wrong.

We don't need these "Acts" at all..

We need to eliminate them,, not rename them.

Anybody in DC who submits anything to congress that isn't repealing standing legislation is part of the problem.