PDA

View Full Version : Idaho school district buys stockpile of rifles and ammo for teachers to use against armed intr

Suzanimal
06-02-2015, 03:20 AM
Good for them!

Idaho school district buys stockpile of rifles and ammo for teachers to use against armed intruders

A school isolated by Idaho’s vast landscape has armed members of its faculty with four rifles and 2,000 rounds of ammo fearing a gun attack.

It’s the best security precautions Garden Valley School officials say they can offer 200 of its students in the case of an armed attack since first responders could be at least a half hour away, according to a local report.

Signs will warn dangerous intruders that the tiny elementary, middle and high school “is armed" and they will be met with force while awaiting the nearest law enforcement agency, the Boise County Sheriff’s Office, which is a 50-mile drive from the school and based in Boise.

“The sheriff will tell you it could even be up to 45 minutes and without having any opportunities to resist an attack — why that’s a long time,” Alan Ward, one of school board members that signed off on the nearly $3,000 deal, told KBOI-TV. “Let’s all hope and pray we never have to use it.”

Parents who spoke to the TV station are divided on whether the plan is a good idea.

“I think that it’s totally ridiculous to have guns in the school in case something happens,” Deborah Colson said. “Maybe they should work on security guards.”

That idea fizzled along the board members because there was not enough state funding to hire a school resource officer, minutes from the school board's meetings show.

Their plan to train and arm members of the school’s faculty has been in the works since at least 2013 when district chairwoman Rosemary Koenig recommended a firearms training program for all of Idaho schools in 2013.

Her proposal to establish a police academy for school employees was rejected, Northwest New Network reported.

“You just constantly are hearing about school invasions and we just simply do not want to have that occur in our district,” Ward told KBOI-TV.

The idea reportedly garnered critisicm by members of the Boise County Sheriff’s Office tasked with training the teachers with firearm safety, documents show.

“There were a few of the deputy sheriffs that showed some immaturity with their comments. It was not all deputies,” the minutes from an April 14 meeting read. “They were told that they were not trying to do their job, only take care of any situations until they arrived.”

Another document claims Sheriff Ben Roeber is “100% in support” of the school’s firearm plan, but he failed to attend a faculty firearm training. Ward expressed disappointment in Roeber’s abscence to his fellow board members.

Attempts by the Daily News to Sheriff Roeber and members of the Garden Valley School Board were not immediately returned.

As the school’s plan came together, the board sought a deal with St. Louis, Missouri’s police department on buying used rifles, but they never heard back on an offer. They turned to Buckhorn Guns in Boise and bought the rifles for $680 each.

It’s not clear what kind of firearms were purchased and an employee with Buckhorn Guns declined to say what type of rifles the district purchased. The guns have been “operational” at the school for two months, documents show, and are being kept in a gun safe donated to the district.

Four teachers have been selected and trained by deputies with the Boise County Sheriff’s Office to use the firearms, but Ward won’t say who or where the guns are stashed.

A concealed weapons permit is required in Idaho, but there are no restrictions on the concealment of firearms in schools.

The school was advised to buy body armor vests, slings and extra magazine rounds that would cost up to $2,000.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/idaho-schools-buy-rifles-ammo-ward-attackers-article-1.2241352

morfeeis
06-02-2015, 03:37 PM
4 rifles and 2K rounds of ammo for 3k is an ok deal. at $600 a rifle i'd bet they are M&P-15 sports which can be bought around that range and then a case of 223 will run you about $300-$350. It sounds about right. I love the idea though....

Dianne
06-02-2015, 05:47 PM
That's pretty kewl.. I think Idaho is a place to consider when ready to ditch North Carolina, the hell hole I live in now.

Uriel999
06-02-2015, 07:25 PM
That's pretty kewl.. I think Idaho is a place to consider when ready to ditch North Carolina, the hell hole I live in now.

If you think NC is a hellhole you should see the 4th Reich of Nazi Florida. I love NC!

tangent4ronpaul
06-02-2015, 09:39 PM
MP15
http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/022188145663_0.jpg

Bet it's banned in MD, NJ, DC, NY, IL, MA and CA...

-t

Zippyjuan
06-03-2015, 12:21 PM
The area crime rate is incredibly small. http://www.areavibes.com/garden+valley-id/crime/ Violent crime rate is less than half that of the state and less than one quarter of the national crime rate (per 100k people). Odds of their school getting attacked by an armed intruder? Probably negligible.

The overall crime rate in Garden Valley is 71% lower than than the national average.
For every 100,000 people, there are 2.4 daily crimes that occur in Garden Valley.
Garden Valley is safer than 82% of the cities in the United States.
In Garden Valley you have a 1 in 115 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
The number of total year over year crimes in Garden Valley has decreased by 6%.

That converts to 88 violent crimes a year. Fearmongering that they feel the need to stockpile guns and bullets at the school.

nobody's_hero
06-03-2015, 12:54 PM
The area crime rate is incredibly small. http://www.areavibes.com/garden+valley-id/crime/ Violent crime rate is less than half that of the state and less than one quarter of the national crime rate (per 100k people). Odds of their school getting attacked by an armed intruder? Probably negligible.

That converts to 88 violent crimes a year. Fearmongering that they feel the need to stockpile guns and bullets at the school.

From your same source:

Newtown, CT violent crimes reported: 2.

In Newtown, CT, you have a 1 in 226 chance of becoming the victim of any crime. Garden Valley 1/115. The Sandy Hook shooter apparently didn't visit that website before considering the damage he might do to the average crime rate in the area.

Don't get so hung up on statistics man. It's mostly bullshit anyway. All you need to know is that there are people who want to be prepared for the unexpected, and then there's you.

presence
06-03-2015, 01:20 PM
"deputizing sherrifs"
"selected 4 individuals"
"school district purchased"
"concealed by the school"

is not

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

Zippyjuan
06-03-2015, 01:21 PM
True a school attack could in theory happen anywhere- but despite the news on the subject, it is an extremely rare event. Even in high crime areas. I still consider it fearmongering. Or maybe we should have DHS style entries to all schools and armed guards at the doors. Are you in favor of a bigger government security apparatus to make schools safer? Acclimate kids to a police state?

The first school mass shooting in the US was 1764. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Combining public and private, there are over 120,000 schools in the US. http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=1389

jj-
06-03-2015, 01:23 PM
The area crime rate is incredibly small.

Because of their attitude. They should keep it.

nobody's_hero
06-03-2015, 02:49 PM
"deputizing sherrifs"
"selected 4 individuals"
"school district purchased"
"concealed by the school"

is not

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

I agree with this to an extent. This seems to be the most minimalistic approach to school security, though. The guns are out-of-sight, out-of-mind (and unfortunately, probably out-of-reach if they're keeping them all in the same spot). And deputizing is probably about as much of a small-government approach as it gets, realistically. I'll take posse comitatus over military roaming the streets any day of the week. But I don't think they're trying to make a 2-A argument here. They're trying to come up with security solutions that don't involve turning the place into a supermax prison.

And to zippy, I don't support a giant police-state apparatus to keep people safe. But when I think of those things, I think of cameras in every corner, gunfire detectors, metal detectors at every door and window, barbed wire fences at the edge of every property line, police officers in riot gear whose faces cannot be seen. SWAT tanks. Checkpoints. Stop-and-frisk. 'Papers please.' You know, useless things that only present an illusion of security.

The only thing I see that could make this better is to allow teachers to bring their own guns and keep them on their person.

I remember after Columbine, our school system thought a good response to armed invaders was to cut the lights off in the classroom and put a piece of cardboard over the door window. Pretty fucking stupid, IMO. Like the shooter is going to just assume no one is in the school and go away. At least this school district's approach makes some sense.

nobody's_hero
06-03-2015, 03:14 PM
MP15
http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/022188145663_0.jpg

Bet it's banned in MD, NJ, DC, NY, IL, MA and CA...

-t

The video at the link says they are 9mm Carbines. Probably Glock JRC or similar.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/E95Ew2Xj0ss/hqdefault.jpg

Probably chose 9mm for lower penetration. Wouldn't want any shots going through walls.

Zippyjuan
06-03-2015, 03:18 PM
The Idaho school says only five people will be able to access the cache. They don't want to say where they would be kept, but most likely in the principal's office would be a good guess. Say there is an incident. The proper person has to be at the school. They have to be able to get through the hallways to the room where they are kept. He then has to unlock and load the weapons. In a Columbine situation, that may be difficult. Then there is the concern that students may get the idea to try to see if they can try to find and steal the weapons- possibly as a prank. Would it deter a committed person? Probably not.

nobody's_hero
06-03-2015, 03:34 PM
The Idaho school says only five people will be able to access the cache. They don't want to say where they would be kept, but most likely in the principal's office would be a good guess. Say there is an incident. The proper person has to be at the school. They have to be able to get through the hallways to the room where they are kept. He then has to unlock and load the weapons. In a Columbine situation, that may be difficult. Then there is the concern that students may get the idea to try to see if they can try to find and steal the weapons- possibly as a prank. Would it deter a committed person? Probably not.

Jesus H. Christ, now who's fearmongering? This is Idaho. If the kids want access to guns, they can pull the ones out from under their parents' beds anytime they want. If they want pranks, they can superglue the locks in the girl's bathroom stalls.

And there's not much in life that will deter a committed person. That's not an excuse for lack of preparation. If someone's actively trying to break into my house, I'm no longer concerned with 'deterrence.' It's moved beyond that phase to mere survival. — And maybe I can't get to my gun in time but considering my only alternative is to let the aggressor move about uncontested, well, it's still better than nothing.

But I agree that it's probably foolish to have all the guns in one spot.