PDA

View Full Version : 61 percent of Americans support the Patriot Act's renewal

Suzanimal
06-01-2015, 12:27 PM
A new CNN/ORC poll found that roughly six in 10 Americans support the NSA's bulk data collection from public phone calls.

The poll, which surveyed 1,025 U.S. adults via phone from May 29 to May 31, found that 61 percent of Americans support the Patriot Act's renewal, while just 36 percent of respondents were opposed to renewing the law. Among Republicans, the support was even greater: 73 percent of Republican respondents supported renewing the law, while 63 percent of Democrats and 55 percent of independents said the same.

Respondents disagreed about whether Congress' letting the Patriot Act expire would actually increase the U.S.' risk of terrorism, though. Fifty-two percent of respondents agreed that without the Patriot Act's renewal, the risk of national terrorism "would remain about the same," while 44 percent believed the risk would rise.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/558182/61-percent-americans-support-patriot-acts-renewal

link to the poll

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/06/01/cnnorcpollnsa.pdf

Schifference
06-01-2015, 12:35 PM
It seems that this question

As you may know, the law allowing the National Security Administration (NSA) to collect and analyze information on the phone calls of most Americans in order to locate suspected terrorists is set to expire on Monday, June 1. Do you think Congress should or should not renew that law and allow the collection of telephone data to continue?

Should have been worded differently.

Matt Collins
06-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Good thing we don't live in a democracy

Sam I am
06-01-2015, 12:43 PM
61 percent of Americans support the Patriot Act's renewal

44 percent believed the risk would rise.

now the big question is, what were these > 17% of people thinking when they said they don't believe that the risk of terrorism would rise if the PATRIOT act expired, but they want it reinstated anyway.

Ronin Truth
06-01-2015, 02:17 PM
6.1% have read the Patriot Act.

Anti Federalist
06-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Of course they do.

Most people hate freedom, do not want it, and will actively fight against you trying to obtain it.

Ronin Truth
06-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Of course they do.

Most people hate freedom, do not want it, and will actively fight against you trying to obtain it.

VOTE -- harder, early and often! :p :rolleyes:

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-01-2015, 05:47 PM
This should read: 61% percent of Americans 45 and older. I'm 28 and no one around my age, let alone younger than me has a landline. We all ready know the older folks are some of the most Boobus of the Boobus. Now, poll those under 40 and you'll see this flip around the other way (and with a higher %).

Anti Federalist
06-01-2015, 05:57 PM
This should read: 61% percent of Americans 45 and older. I'm 28 and no one around my age, let alone younger than me has a landline. We all ready know the older folks are some of the most Boobus of the Boobus. Now, poll those under 40 and you'll see this flip around the other way (and with a higher %).

Meh, I heard this over and over back in 2007.

Wasn't true then, not true now.

In fact, its younger people that are just fine with all the snooping technology.

They, unlike like old farts like me, have been immersed in it since they were born.

Like asking a fish to describe "wet".

timosman
06-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Meh, I heard this over and over back in 2007.

Wasn't true then, not true now.

In fact, its younger people that are just fine with all the snooping technology.

They, unlike like old farts like me, have been immersed in it since they were born.

Like asking a fish to describe "wet".

Yeah, plus under 30 really have nothing to hide.

cindy25
06-01-2015, 07:57 PM
they hear the word patriot or freedom and they support it.

donnay
06-01-2015, 08:06 PM
A new CNN/ORC poll, which surveyed 1,025 U.S. adults via phone from May 29 to May 31, found that 61 percent of Americans support the Patriot Act's renewal

Three hundred plus million people and 1,025 were telephone polled. To put it into perspective 61% of 1,025 = 625 people agreed.

Slave Mentality
06-01-2015, 08:39 PM
61% polled were fucking idiots

wizardwatson
06-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Three hundred plus million people and 1,025 were telephone polled. To put it into perspective 61% of 1,025 = 625 people agreed.

Are we attacking science now?

1000 people means 3.2% margin of error.

So assuming the study is valid it means we will get within 3.2% of 61% 19 out of 20 times we redo the survey.

otherone
06-01-2015, 09:06 PM
now the big question is, what were these > 17% of people thinking when they said they don't believe that the risk of terrorism would rise if the PATRIOT act expired, but they want it reinstated anyway.

Government employees.

kpitcher
06-01-2015, 09:12 PM
I just had a poll call today about competitive electric rates and whether I wanted to allow "Monopolies to continue to be my sole electric company"

It lead up to that question with other leading questions. Unless I see the whole list of questions I'm not going to believe any poll numbers I see.

erowe1
06-01-2015, 10:37 PM

They called both landlines and cell phones.

Mach
06-01-2015, 11:11 PM
"That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."

twomp
06-01-2015, 11:31 PM
A new poll from Morning Consult found that 27 percent of respondents prefer allowing provisions that enable the National Security Agency to collect bulk data on Americans’ cell phones to expire, like the 2016 presidential contender Rand Paul. Only 12 percent agree with McConnell that the Patriot Act provisions should be extended as they were originally passed.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/poll-americans-support-rand-pauls-nsa-position-over-mitch-mcconnells-118511.html#ixzz3bsbk9vso