PDA

View Full Version : water

sherry
05-31-2015, 03:47 PM
Why is it that we seem to be missing the easy answer? If you have one state (CA) that is lacking water and then another state that is flooded with water, start moving that water. If we can move oil across oceans then we can move water across land! Come on now, it's not Rocket Science.

pcosmar
05-31-2015, 05:26 PM
I knew a girl named Sherry once.

Did you have a vintage VW?
And (more importantly,, did you ever know a bank robber) :)

Anti Federalist
05-31-2015, 06:39 PM
Why is it that we seem to be missing the easy answer? If you have one state (CA) that is lacking water and then another state that is flooded with water, start moving that water. If we can move oil across oceans then we can move water across land! Come on now, it's not Rocket Science.

If you're willing to pay $4 a gallon for water, then there isn't a problem.

;)

CaptUSA
05-31-2015, 06:47 PM

;)
It is California...

http://images.nationaltimes.com.au/2013/05/13/4268454/still-waters.jpg?rand=1368416930833

pcosmar
05-31-2015, 06:57 PM

;)

I still didn't get an answer to the more important question.
are you the Sherry I knew?

Anti Federalist
05-31-2015, 07:30 PM
I still didn't get an answer to the more important question.
are you the Sherry I knew?

Well, I'm sure as hell not, Pete.

;)

Danke
05-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Well, I'm sure as hell not, Pete.

;)

Careful Pete, it could be a trap.

osan
06-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Science has little to do with it. Money, property rights, politics, economic feasibility and long-term economic sanity, OTOH, do.

By the time a network of water mains was built, and it would likely take decadeS, the costs would be astronomical. Who will pay for that? You neighbors? Just as I suspected.

And whose land shall fall under eminent domain to provide you with water? Your neighbors? Just as I suspected.

And what of the enormous maintenance costs? Whence the funding? Your neighbors? Just as I suspected.

And what of damages when, say, a 60" or perhaps even 96" above-ground main bursts in a populated area, or any area for that matter? Who will be held accountable to those whose lives and/or property are lost? Your neighbors? Just as I suspected.

And what will be the cost of that water? When the cost to transport a gallon from TX to CA rises to $8, whose money shall subsidize that which I have little doubt you will personally refuse to pay with great shrieking noises? Your neighbors? Just as I suspected.

Just because it is not rocket surgery, it does not follow that it is easily, readily, and justly doable.

All that people of the sort, which you seem to be, can see is that which you want. You declare it as being "not rocket science", the implication being that there is therefore no reason that is should not be done. You then demand it with endless whinging, whining, shrieking, wailing, and other eminently effective sonic tactical measures until your neighbors end up buying for you that to which you feel entitled. Your motives seem pure on the outside, but scrape away that impossibly thin leaf and a whole universe of stinking, heaving, festering rot becomes apparent to the near-fatal dolor of the decent man's senses, driving him back in great violence just as the sight of a cross does with a vampire or holy water upon the skin of the possessed, burning, cleaving, and scarring to the bones.

If it is such a good idea, why are you not on Capitol Hill in lobby for it? Just as I suspected.

tod evans
06-01-2015, 06:22 AM
I'll arrange to have all the tanker trucks of water you want delivered to the address of your choice, prepayment for services will be required.

acptulsa
06-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Honey, that water is muddy, we need that water to break our drought and don't necessarily think you should have our water (and have seen enough of the feud over water between California and Nevada to think the whole state of California is full of wonderfully nice people who deserve it :rolleyes:), won't sell you water during a drought year (which makes the trillions you spent on the pipeline a worthless waste most years), and trucking it in would spew a hell of a lot of carbon (gasp!). And expecting the railroads to buy a fleet of stainless tank cars just for the purpose is just a bit presumptuous. Why stainless steel? Do you want to be able to drink it?

Darling, get off the airplane, and stop flying over us at thirty thousand feet and at five hundred miles an hour. Oklahoma and Texas are one hell of a lot farther away than you can ever know at Mach 0.8. And they're a hell of a lot bigger than they look at five miles high. And those bumps in between are mountains that range up to thirteen thousand feet in height. Drive across the country some time. Your education is incomplete, and will remain incomplete, until you do.

Besides, you people have an insatiable appetite for water. The more you get, the more you waste. You people would turn the Mojave into a green lawn, if you could, and the ecosystem be damned. It isn't our responsibility to feed your habit.

And if cost were no object, you'd just desalinate the Pacific, wouldn't you? Well, wouldn't you? Trying to steal our water when you have the whole Pacific Ocean to pull the salt out of. Cheapskates.

You've got all the water you could possibly need. And sea salt as a byproduct. Leave our water alone. Karl Marx said nothing about, 'From each, according to his inability to prevent thieves from taking what's his, to each, according to his greed.' He wasn't a Democrat.

tod evans
06-01-2015, 06:46 AM
^^^^ Be sure to visit Tulsa but please avoid the Ozarks, the 17 families here from Ca. whine enough for the rest of you....;)

Ronin Truth
06-01-2015, 07:42 AM
How long before several of the world's subterranean fresh water OCEANS start getting tapped?

Carlybee
06-01-2015, 07:54 AM
No they can't have our water. Our lakes are finally filling up after our own years long drought and by the time something like this would even be possible, we'll be in another drought. I would suggest California relax some of their regulations and sort out their own issues. For years no one could even collect rainwater there..as an example.

acptulsa
06-01-2015, 08:05 AM
You want our water so you can grow designer crops like avocados and chardonnay grapes that you can sell to yuppies for ten dollars a pound, and still pass laws in every town and village demanding that every lawn owner keep his fescue green in the desert (lest his or her neighbors be mortally embarassed by brown grass).

We want the water to refill our water tables so we can continue to be key parts of the Breadbasket of the World, and continue to grow the wheat and corn and soy that feeds hungry children from Oklahoma City to Kathmandu.

Our selfishness is noble. Your greed is not. Shell out the cost of desalinating some of the umpteen gazillion gallons of water in the Pacific Ocean, and stop looking around to see who you can steal from.

Ronin Truth
06-01-2015, 08:20 AM
You want our water so you can grow designer crops like avocados and chardonnay grapes that you can sell to yuppies for ten dollars a pound, and still pass laws in every town and village demanding that every lawn owner keep his fescue green in the desert (lest his or her neighbors be mortally embarassed by brown grass).

We want the water to refill our water tables so we can continue to be key parts of the Breadbasket of the World, and continue to grow the wheat and corn and soy that feeds hungry children from Oklahoma City to Kathmandu.

Our selfishness is noble. Your greed is not. Shell out the cost of desalinating some of the umpteen gazillion gallons of water in the Pacific Ocean, and stop looking around to see who you can steal from.

You're no fun. :p

:D

Carlybee
06-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Wait...muh avocados! Oh Nevermind..we grow our own. I am sick of almond prices though. We need to grow those too.

acptulsa
06-01-2015, 08:26 AM
...looking around to see not only who they can steal from, but whose natural ecosystems they can destroy.

tod evans
06-01-2015, 08:29 AM
...looking around to see not only who they can steal from, but whose natural ecosystems they can destroy.

It rains all the time in Wa., seems like it'd be an economically sound idea to import water from the North than from the East.......

Then again we're discussing Ca......

Carlybee
06-01-2015, 08:35 AM
It rains all the time in Wa., seems like it'd be an economically sound idea to import water from the North than from the East.......

Then again we're discussing Ca......

Oregon has rivers...why not just dig a trench? :)

Ronin Truth
06-01-2015, 08:39 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=subterranean+fresh+water+oceans&hl=en&gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=

angelatc
06-01-2015, 09:18 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2rxuaxyEFlo/VTrtaYiFTkI/AAAAAAAAFbg/nB-4mMAkOK8/s1600/californiawatershame.jpg

JK/SEA
06-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Sherry, are you thirsty?...try Brawndo, it has electrolytes.

Brian4Liberty
06-03-2015, 10:29 AM

It's been tried. Quite often, Northern California has plenty of rainfall. They built an aqueduct (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Aqueduct) to move that water to Southern California. SoCal then grew to use every drop of that water. Now that the drought has hit all of California, the whole State is in trouble, although SoCal still uses water as if it doesn't effect them.

The point being, everything grows to use every bit of resources. Build a new pipepline, development will grow to use and depend upon every last drop. Any interruption, and you are right back to starving for water.

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Scientists Map Vast Reserves Of Freshwater Under The Seabed
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/12/11/250308953/scientists-map-vast-reserves-of-freshwater-under-the-seabed

JK/SEA
06-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Scientists Map Vast Reserves Of Freshwater Under The Seabed
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/12/11/250308953/scientists-map-vast-reserves-of-freshwater-under-the-seabed

drilling for fresh water could pollute the seawater if there was a blowout.

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 10:58 AM
drilling for fresh water could pollute the seawater if there was a blowout.

Why would water blow out?

JK/SEA
06-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Why would water blow out?

because at depth, it blows out, not in. All that fresh water could kill fish...

call the EPA immediately.

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 11:22 AM

What is the EPA's ocean jurisdiction?

JK/SEA
06-03-2015, 01:31 PM
What is the EPA's ocean jurisdiction?

who cares...do something.

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 01:39 PM
who cares...do something. How about advocating using the unused ancient fresh water oceans?

presence
06-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Why not just pump it from Kim Kardashian's backyard?

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Why not just pump it from Kim Kardashian's backyard?

How much does she have? I'm guessing not nearly enough.

Carlybee
06-03-2015, 02:04 PM

Ha..Fukushima waste is already in the Pacific.

presence
06-03-2015, 02:36 PM
How much does she have? I'm guessing not nearly enough.

Kim's got plenty back there.

Ronin Truth
06-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Kim's got plenty back there. Am I just missing a too subtle innuendo?