PDA

View Full Version : Davis (CA) City Council votes to make offering kids soda illegal

tsai3904
05-30-2015, 11:57 AM
In Davis, offering a kid a soda is about to be illegal

It’s a four-letter word that parents in one Northern California city don’t want their children to hear: soda.

In a novel approach to fighting childhood obesity, the Davis City Council voted unanimously this week to approve an ordinance making milk and water the default options for kids’ meals — a victory for parents who want to shield children from sugary beverages.

Cashiers and waiters in fast food joints and other restaurants that market meals to kids will be forced, under threat of a fine to the business, to offer water or milk with those meals, not Coke or Pepsi.

Parents will still be able to order soda for their children at no extra cost — but they will have to ask for it.

More:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/In-this-city-offering-a-kid-a-soda-is-about-to-6294957.php

City staff report:
http://city-council.cityofdavis.org/Media/Default/Documents/PDF/CityCouncil/CouncilMeetings/Agendas/20150526/07-Kids-Meal-Beverages.pdf

Suzanimal
05-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Gallelo, the commission director, said the move is a small part of a big picture.
“I think it just brings us all one step closer to an overall healthy children’s meal menu,” she said. “Start with the sugar, and maybe hit the fats later on.”

This is just the first step in their plan to dictate what restaurants can offer.

pcosmar
05-30-2015, 01:16 PM
http://www.bookwormroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/People-taking-how-stupid-question-as-a-challenge.jpg

phill4paul
05-30-2015, 01:25 PM
They should just outlaw restaurants. Only healthy home cooked meals of a bowl of rice. Why the half measures on the road to tyranny?

DamianTV
05-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Why not ask the real question: "How can we turn ordinary citizens into criminals?"

paulbot24
05-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Parents will still be able to order their children soda? Aren't our children property of the .gov? That is giving parents too much say. /s

alucard13mm
05-31-2015, 09:26 AM
In Jr High and High School... 1 dollar bag of potatoe chip + 1 dollar bottle of soda = lunch lol. I turned out fine :PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

euphemia
05-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Here's the thing: Parents can actually train their children to drink milk and water. It's not like the soft drink magically appears on the table. Parents can set a good example for their kids by drinking water with meals.

It's not the soda that causes obesity, anyway. It's the supersize order of fried chicken nuggest and plate full of fries.

Parents can learn to cook and serve meals at home.

pcosmar
05-31-2015, 09:44 AM
In Jr High and High School... 1 dollar bag of potatoe chip + 1 dollar bottle of soda = lunch lol. I turned out fine :PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

In High school a half pint of Four Roses was lunch. What's your point?

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-31-2015, 03:53 PM
more like a victory for communist control freaks who want to tell other people's kids what they can or cannot put in their bodies. And if you can still get soda anyway what is the point?! Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

Hey I think I know why a lot of kids are fat. Because instead of running around and playing, they're sitting in cramped desks being schooled for most of their day and not allowed to eat except during one short break in the middle of the day. And since they have to get up as early as 5:30 in the morning to get ready and go to school, they barely get any sleep which also destroys their metabolism.