PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Paul group unleashes fiery attack ad

Pages : [1] 2

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 06:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qy-4CBBZo

A super PAC backing Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is pulling no punches with the first attack ad of the 2016 GOP presidential primary, complete with fire-breathing bald eagles and slams of Sens. Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham for their stances on government surveillance.

Mimicking the aggressive style of a wrestling event promo, the one-minute spot teases the Senate debate Sunday ("Sunday! Sunday!") over expiring portions of the Patriot Act as the “greatest brawl for liberty of the century."

The ad, released by America's Liberty PAC, pits a photoshopped picture of Paul’s face on a bodybuilder against President Obama, “the head of the Washington spy machine.”

It also needles Obama’s “so-called conservative accomplices,” Cruz (R-Texas) and Graham (R-S.C.). Cruz, referred to by the super PAC as the “capitulating Canadian” as a dig against the fact that the GOP candidate was born in the country, supports a compromise bill called the USA Freedom Act.

SOURCE:
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/243412-pro-paul-super-pac-unleashes-fiery-attack-ad

tod evans
05-29-2015, 07:00 AM
This really sucks!

CaptUSA
05-29-2015, 07:05 AM
That was just not good.

Carlybee
05-29-2015, 07:07 AM
Cringeworthy but kind of funny

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCZVmQ74OA

tod evans
05-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Reminds me of this:

Appealing to the lower intellect voter with an intellectual candidate?

CaptUSA
05-29-2015, 07:21 AM
Reminds me of this:

No. That was a good ad. This ad reminds me of this:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/smelly-poop-flies-isolated-white-35459154.jpg

acptulsa
05-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Reminds me of this:

Looking at that is like looking at Keira Knightley. Looking at the new one is like looking at Keira Knightley in an old funhouse mirror.

Todd
05-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Reminds me of this:

Reminds me of Brawndo commercial from Idiocracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04&feature=player_embedded

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks Jesse Benton. :rolleyes:

acptulsa
05-29-2015, 08:04 AM
America's Liberty PAC.

Now we know what we get if we're silly enough to send money to ALPACa. Might as well send it straight to Jeb.

Or did Benton do this for blackmail purposes? Send me money or I'll release this!

ALPACa: Super PAC or Sucker PAC?

jj-
05-29-2015, 08:13 AM
what the fuck did I just watch.

does Jesse think the election is decided by testosterone-overloaded bodybuilders when they're tripping?

jj-
05-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Pro-Paul group unleashes fiery attack ad

Against himself? I don't recall ever seeing a more off putting ad.

Reminds me of this:

No, that ^^^ was a good ad. Rand's ad is trash, if you want to describe it in a generous way.

jj-
05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Thanks Jesse Benton. :rolleyes:

+1

what a fucking moron.

SilentBull
05-29-2015, 08:50 AM
WTF is this????

Massachusetts
05-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Well, this is amateur hour. I really need somebody to convince me that this is the kind of branding that will lead us to a victory. Awful, absolutely awful. Willing to reconsider my opinion, but at first glance: NO! Pull this off the airwaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qy-4CBBZo&feature=youtu.be

America's Liberty PAC is responsible for the ad. If you're not familiar with ALP, read on (http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016-elections/rand-paul-taps-jesse-benton-to-run-his-super-pac-20150406).

I'm usually not one to bash the people working on the campaign, but this is downright embarrassing for those of us who have been sticking our neck out there defending Rand.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 08:52 AM
America's Liberty PAC.

Now we know what we get if we're silly enough to send money to ALPACa. Might as well send it straight to Jeb.

Or did Benton do this for blackmail purposes? Send me money or I'll release this!

ALPACa: Super PAC or Sucker PAC?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acptulsa again.

SilentBull
05-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Are these people serious??? This is what they spent money on?? This is how they think they will help Rand in the GOP primary? Making fun of candidates whose supporters we want to switch over to Rand? WTF man!

This is way worse than the Revolution PAC ad where they called Perry and Romney "pretty boys".

This is not how you change minds, fucking morons!

SilentBull
05-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Is it really Jesse Benton that's behind this? This is unreal. This ad will do nothing but turn off voters. Already, I saw people on Facebook thinking the Rand campaign created this, and were turned off by it.

mz10
05-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Can't disagree. It's amazing that we've got so many seasoned GOP operatives with tremendous track records, and this is the best we can churn out? Ugh....

Also don't understand why Rand has gone to such lengths to turn off GOP voters. I love the positions he's taken but he has literally ignored positions like the 2nd amendment, Obamacare, taxes, etc. and only focused on the areas of disagreement.

After seeing this ad now, I'm officially worried.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Is it really Jesse Benton that's behind this? This is unreal. This ad will do nothing but turn off voters. Already, I saw people on Facebook thinking the Rand campaign created this, and were turned off by it.

Rand Paul Taps Jesse Benton to Run His Super PAC
The longtime family strategist will head up America's Liberty PAC, a Paul-sanctioned outside group.

Roughly two weeks ago, the Kentucky senator and his top operatives began the process of severing ties with longtime Paul strategist Jesse Benton, who will helm the independent unlimited-money group established to boost Paul's candidacy and, more than likely, tear down his presidential rivals.

Benton's role with the super PAC will be general consultant, according to a person familiar with the arrangement. He will be charged with both crafting strategy and helping to reach the goal of banking between $20 million and $30 million to support Paul.

The plan is for Benton to use an existing entity, America's Liberty PAC, which was founded by former Ron Paul strategist John Tate several years ago to be Rand Paul's 2016 super PAC.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?472144-Jesse-Benton-not-part-of-Rand-Paul-campaign-will-head-up-pro-Rand-super-PAC-instead

The Northbreather
05-29-2015, 09:06 AM
Why would they trivialize his fight against these people and their ideas?

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:09 AM
'fiery' attack ad?

I guess, if by 'fiery' you mean off the charts embarrassing.

The fact that Matt Collins promotes this with a positive spin proves that he would be as beneficial to have around as Jesse Benton.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Can't disagree. It's amazing that we've got so many seasoned GOP operatives with tremendous track records, and this is the best we can churn out? Ugh....

It made me laugh. It is certainly more entertaining than 99% of political ads.

The Northbreather
05-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Is the point to help or hurt Rand?..

trey4sports
05-29-2015, 09:12 AM
rand has no control over this... its a super pac ad

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:13 AM

He has control over the money that is sent to the PAC, because he could just say, don't send money to super pacs that attack me.

Massachusetts
05-29-2015, 09:14 AM

Does the ad help or hurt Rand? I'm not here to bash Rand - just to point out that Republican primary voters are going to look at this and say Rand isn't serious about winning the nomination. Perception is everything.

And can we stop pretending that the people running the Super PAC aren't longtime political operatives who have been in his circle and Ron's circle for years? lol

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:15 AM
Another thing Jesse Benton recently did was trashing Ted Cruz on twitter because he didn't go to Rand's filibuster. Ted Cruz ended up showing up, probably would've anyway, but I don't think the tweets cause a positive impression among Cruz's supporters.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 09:15 AM

A super pac headed by his brother-in-law. smdh. With family like that who needs enemies?

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:19 AM
And can we stop pretending that the people running the Super PAC aren't longtime political operatives who have been in his circle and Ron's circle for years? lol

One thing to keep in mind is that they sabotaged Ron, and gave the victory in Iowa to Santorum.

Jesse Benton orchestrated the move of Sorenson from Michele Bachmann to Paul. That ended up hurting Bachmann, which caused her supporters to move to Santorum, giving him enough votes to win the election.

mz10
05-29-2015, 09:22 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that they sabotaged Ron, and gave the victory in Iowa to Santorum.

Jesse Benton orchestrated the move of Sorenson from Michelle Bachmann to Paul. That ended up hurting Bachmann, which caused her supporters to move to Santorum, giving him enough votes to win the election.

Benton's not a saboteur. He's a hard-headed contrarian. He has an idea of how he wants to do it, and he won't listen to anything else. I get the sense Rand is the same way, as well as a lot of the people running this operation.

CaptUSA
05-29-2015, 09:25 AM
So... Is anyone else glad that they didn't put Benton on the official campaign? Holy smokes.

kahless
05-29-2015, 09:26 AM
At first I thought some amateur in this forum put together the video. This should be embarrassing to the PAC that put this together and may actually backfire. In the future people may not be so quick to click on one of ours remembering how lame this one was.

Are we sure this is really a Pro-Paul PAC? hmmm

EBounding
05-29-2015, 09:28 AM
I don't get the point of trashing Cruz in a terrible ad either. Even if he's not as committed as Rand, Cruz is still an ally in defeating the PA. And it's certainly not going to endear Cruz supporters to Rand.

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:29 AM
Are we sure this is really a Pro-Paul PAC?

If pro Paul means against Paul, yes.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 09:29 AM
./

SilentBull
05-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Another thing Jesse Benton recently did was trashing Ted Cruz on twitter because he didn't go to Rand's filibuster. Ted Cruz ended up showing up, probably would've anyway, but I don't think the tweets cause a positive impression among Cruz's supporters.

I didn't know that. The last thing we need is to attack Cruz right now. WTF is wrong with Benton? I used to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is just awful.

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Benton's not a saboteur. He's a hard-headed contrarian. He has an idea of how he wants to do it, and he won't listen to anything else. I get the sense Rand is the same way, as well as a lot of the people running this operation.

It doesn't matter if he acts the exact same way a saboteur would.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 09:33 AM
I didn't know that. The last thing we need is to attack Cruz right now. WTF is wrong with Benton? I used to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is just awful.

Is Cruz not a supporter of the "Freedom act"? which is arguably even worse than the patriot act provision expiring? why not attack him for that?

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:36 AM

I'm pretty sure Peter Thiel is a big fan and friend of Ted Cruz.

However, Cruz actually DID show up for the filibuster.

Kotin
05-29-2015, 09:37 AM
I didn't believe it was real

SilentBull
05-29-2015, 09:38 AM
God, already seeing news articles on this. Fucking unbelievable.

The Northbreather
05-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Good time for a rewind button :(

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:50 AM

I knew Benton was still around, shouldn't be that surprising.

Danke
05-29-2015, 09:50 AM
'fiery' attack ad?

The fact that Matt Collins promotes this with a positive spin proves that he would be as beneficial to have around as Jesse Benton.

It got a thumbs up from The Collinz, that's good enough for me.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 09:53 AM

Are we to pretend that Rafael hasn't been out there on the campaign trail actively attacking Randal?

AuH20
05-29-2015, 09:55 AM
I don't get the point of trashing Cruz in a terrible ad either. Even if he's not as committed as Rand, Cruz is still an ally in defeating the PA. And it's certainly not going to endear Cruz supporters to Rand.

Agreed.

William R
05-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Horrible

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Are we to pretend that Rafael hasn't been out there on the campaign trail actively attacking Randal?

It's just idiotic to bash Cruz for not showing up to an ongoing filibuster that he actually ends up showing up for. Idiotic, like everything Benton and Matt Collins do.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-29-2015, 09:58 AM
It's silly, but some of you are being as over-the-top as the video itself. It's just an Internet ad meant to go viral, and it's doing what it's supposed to.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 10:00 AM
It's just idiotic to bash Cruz for not showing up to an ongoing filibuster that he actually ends up showing up for. Idiotic, like everything Benton and Matt Collins do.

I thought we were talking about the ad? Had Cruz shown up for the filibuster when those tweets were sent? No? So they were accurate at the time.
Is Cruz supporting the invasive freedom act? (it hurts me to call that pos by that name). Yes he is; so the ad is truthful and worth attacking him on.

This is no worse than Cruz recently attacking Randal on Gun issues saying Randal didn't do enough to support him after the Newton incident while at the same time Gun groups were crediting Randal for stopping anti gun bills at the same time.

jllundqu
05-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Well, this is amateur hour. I really need somebody to convince me that this is the kind of branding that will lead us to a victory. Awful, absolutely awful. Willing to reconsider my opinion, but at first glance: NO! Pull this off the airwaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qy-4CBBZo&feature=youtu.be

America's Liberty PAC is responsible for the ad. If you're not familiar with ALP, read on (http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016-elections/rand-paul-taps-jesse-benton-to-run-his-super-pac-20150406).

I'm usually not one to bash the people working on the campaign, but this is downright embarrassing for those of us who have been sticking our neck out there defending Rand.

What makes it even more terrible is the fact that I have NO FUCKING IDEA what it was talking about! What the hell was the ad about? From a messaging perspective, it's awful and doesn't make any sense.

Terrible waste of money.

jj-
05-29-2015, 10:01 AM
It's silly, but some of you are being as over-the-top as the video itself. It's just an Internet ad meant to go viral, and it's doing what it's supposed to.

It goes around facebook and a lot of people see it, my guess is that if it has an effect it will be subtracting support. Both from fewer votes, and fewer donors as they see how the Rand super pac is being run.

presence
05-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Awful Super PAC Ad (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?475646-Awful-Super-PAC-Ad) Started by Massachusetts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?39910-Massachusetts), Today

TaftFan
05-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Well, they got their 15 minutes.

jj-
05-29-2015, 10:10 AM
I thought we were talking about the ad? Had Cruz shown up for the filibuster when those tweets were sent? No?

It seems to me that when you vitriolically attack somebody for something that quickly changes or ends up being false (Cruz ending up showing up for the filibuster), you end up looking bad. Even if your goal was to hurt Cruz, you hurt yourself.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 10:10 AM
What makes it even more terrible is the fact that I have NO FUCKING IDEA what it was talking about! What the hell was the ad about? From a messaging perspective, it's awful and doesn't make any sense.

Terrible waste of money.

So you didn't walk away from it knowing that something was happening on Sunday in regards to govt snooping?

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 10:11 AM
It seems to be that when you vitriolically attack somebody for something that quickly changes or ends up being false (Cruz ending up showing up for the filibuster), you end up looking bad. Even if your goal was to hurt Cruz, you hurt yourself.

Maybe with an informed electorate. the uninformed electorate seems to only read headlines.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure its nephew-in-law, not brother in law.

Corrected. Yes, he is married to Ron's grand-daughter. I stand by the rest of my statement.

garyallen59
05-29-2015, 10:22 AM
This is seriously a terrible and stupid looking ad. Who in the world said that this was a good ad and to move forward with it?

newbitech
05-29-2015, 10:23 AM
I had fun imagining Benton doing that voice over (including the screaming eagle sound effect).

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 10:24 AM
This is seriously a terrible and stupid looking ad. Who in the world said that this was a good ad and to move forward with it?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t3fc-pu7C3g/UzmhdzFp3oI/AAAAAAAAPzE/zolNApqF4A8/s1600/1.png

jj-
05-29-2015, 10:29 AM
This reminds me of the 'He's catchin' up, I'm telling ya' from Ron's campaign.

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 10:37 AM
I think it is hilarious, which is the point.

William Tell
05-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Reminds me of this:

Not at all, the new one SUCKS.

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Voters aren't paying attention to this, voters aren't watching the Presidential race right now.

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Bingo!

It's a joke and should be taken that way...

William Tell
05-29-2015, 10:40 AM
So... Is anyone else glad that they didn't put Benton on the official campaign? Holy smokes.
Agreed, good luck to this pac on raising unlimited funds...

garyallen59
05-29-2015, 10:42 AM

No, it's just stupid.

It would be ok if this was just some goofy fan made ad but this is from one of the major SuperPAC's which makes it stupid.

William Tell
Voters aren't paying attention to this, voters aren't watching the Presidential race right now.

L.M.A.O

CaptUSA

Oh, I get it. The point of this was that your sense of humor sucks?

CaptUSA
05-29-2015, 10:45 AM

Seriously, Matt. This could have been funny if it was well-done, but this is garbage. The voice-over is terrible. The theme is trite. And the editing is amateurish.
It's not hilarious. It's sad.

jllundqu
05-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Looking at that is like looking at Keira Knightley. Looking at the new one is like looking at Keira Knightley in an old funhouse mirror.

Not sure what the hell you're talking about, but I like looking at Kiera Knightley for any reason whatsoever, through any glass or mirror... don't care.

Massachusetts
05-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Rick Perry's "Oops" moment went viral too. Being "hilarious" is a tactic a fringe candidate would pull because nobody knows who they are. There are people surrounding the efforts to elect Rand Paul for President, whether it be on his campaign or Super PACs supporting him that are giving really bad advice and making really bad decisions. And to say people "aren't paying attention to presidential politics" right now is putting your head in the sand. A poll in early March revealed that 78% of voters say they are following recent news reports about the 2016 presidential race at least somewhat closely, with 35% who are following very closely. EARLY MARCH. God knows that has spiked since EIGHT candidates have declared in the past three months.

Not sure if you are aware, but Rand's recent actions for better or for worse are going to make him more polarizing than ever, and more of a target than ever before...and pulling cheesy crap like this will only hurt him as he is being watched very closely. And his opponents aren't stupid - they know they can tie him with the Super PAC.

philipped
05-29-2015, 11:09 AM
I like it, a lot.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Reminds me of Brawndo commercial from Idiocracy.

Yeah, as a fan of Idiocracy, that's what comes to mind. There is certainly a second level of underlying humor there, but it will go over a lot of people's heads. Not a lot of average people will get the Idiocracy connection.

On the surface level, it might appeal to some people. Hard to say. Guess now that it's released, we will soon see the actual results. Hopefully there were some metrics and research that indicated it would be more positive than negative. I'd wager that this forum is not the target audience.

helmuth_hubener
05-29-2015, 11:30 AM

I have no idea what it's trying to do, but what it's actually doing is stupid. This is a really stupid, bad ad. Counter-productive.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Rand Paul supporters envision NSA fight as WWE match
By Ashley Killough, CNN - Fri May 29, 2015

America's Liberty PAC — a pro-Paul super PAC — is releasing a five-figure digital ad buy over the weekend, featuring a WWE-style video that promotes a rare gathering of the U.S. Senate this Sunday to debate the Patriot Act just as key provisions of the law are set to expire.

"Sunday, Sunday, Sunday," the juiced-up narrator says, previewing what the PAC is calling a "brawl for liberty" on the Senate floor.

The video goes after Cruz, calling him a "capitulating Canadian," a likely reference to Cruz's support for legislation that would tweak the NSA domestic phone surveillance program but still reauthorizes portions of the Patriot Act.

It also targets President Barack Obama and Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who's long been in a war of words with Paul over national security.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/29/politics/rand-paul-super-pac-ad-buy/

helmuth_hubener
05-29-2015, 11:32 AM

It is not funny in any way. It's just annoying and stupid. It's far worse than "he's catching on". Just embarrassing.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Rand’s ready to rumble … in a WWE-style ad slamming his GOP rivals
By Katie Zezima - May 29

Rand is ready to rumble.

A super PAC supporting Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has taken out the first Republican-on-Republican ad of the 2016 election cycle, a WWE-inspired spot where he promises a "Brawl for Liberty" under the Capitol dome Sunday over the Patriot Act, which he has vowed to end.

The Kentucky senator and his allies spent 11 hours speaking on the Senate floor last week and played a role in the Senate's decision to adjourn without voting on the issue; the body will reconvene Sunday to take it up.

"Get ready, America, for the biggest brawl for liberty of the century!" a WWE-style announcer screams as a cartoon of a screeching bald eagle flies across the screen.

"Defender of freedom, Senator Rand Paul!" the announcer yells. The ad was funded by America's Liberty PAC.

The video cuts to Paul's head superimposed on the torso of a jacked, shirtless man standing in front of an American flag. A cloud of flames explodes in back of him.

He's taking on President Obama or, his wrestling name, "Obama the email reader." He is aided by his "so-called conservative" sidekicks -- and here comes the Republican-on-Republican violence.

Meet "The Capitulating Canadian," Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), who is battling Paul in real life for the 2016 nomination. Cruz is pictured wearing shorts and boxing gloves and standing in front of the Canadian flag, flanked by a moose and Obama.

Paul's other competitor is Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who has repeatedly clashed with Paul and rolled his eyes while Paul was talking on the Senate floor. Graham is "trying to read your emails while doing donuts in a 1997 Geo Metro." The pink car ends up in flames.

"Watch them battle it out under the dome on the floor of the United States Senate," the ad says.

The ad is part of a multi-platform digital campaign that will include Facebook, Twitter and search advertising. It comes as Paul's camp issues a deluge of tweets, fundraising e-mails ads pledging to continue to fight the Patriot Act. In the wake of his Senate floor marathon, critics -- including Obama, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) -- have piled on Paul, who seems to relish in swinging back.

A spy state showdown is looming for May 31st! Will you stand with me? http://t.co/BYPYygc7bC pic.twitter.com/hbAgBi7N2V

— Dr. Rand Paul (@RandPaul) May 28, 2015

The DC eye-roll caucus can't stand when we mention the Bill of Rights https://t.co/rcN9RRFhWk

— Team Rand (@Team_Rand) May 28, 2015

"Rand Paul continues to set himself apart as the only candidate and true conservative who consistently stands for the entire Bill of Rights. So-called conservative candidates who support President Obama's massive, big government NSA surveillance plan need to come to their senses, uphold the Constitution and Stand with Rand," John Tate, founder of the PAC, said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/05/29/rands-ready-to-rumble-in-a-wwe-style-ad/

AuH20
05-29-2015, 11:35 AM
You want to be edgy but be taken seriously.

The Northbreather
05-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Yea but they photoshopped rand right into the band of idiots.

Looks like he just another bozo participating in the infighting of the GOP..

mac_hine
05-29-2015, 11:37 AM
That ad gave me douche chills.

kbs021
05-29-2015, 11:39 AM
This ad is promoting this coming up Sunday's battle over the patriot act. This ad isn't an official 2016 type ad. Although yes of course the reason Rand is the focus is because of his presidential bid, this is meant to promote attention to the battle Sunday. If this was Rand's official Iowa ad before the caucus, then yes I would be like "what the heck." But it's not, it's a comical ad that previews and important battle this Sunday. I hope that it works and people at least pay attention sunday which helps against the patriot act AND it helps Rand.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Pro-Paul group unleashes fiery attack ad
By Ben Kamisar - May 29, 2015

A super-PAC backing Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is pulling no punches with the first attack ad of the 2016 GOP presidential primary, complete with fire-breathing bald eagles and slams of Sens. Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham for their stances on government surveillance.

Mimicking the aggressive style of a wrestling event promo, the one-minute spot teases the Senate debate Sunday ("Sunday! Sunday!") over expiring portions of the Patriot Act as the “greatest brawl for liberty of the century."

The ad, released by America's Liberty PAC, pits a photoshopped picture of Paul’s face on a bodybuilder against President Obama, “the head of the Washington spy machine.”

It also needles Obama’s “so-called conservative accomplices,” Cruz (R-Texas) and Graham (R-S.C.). Cruz, referred to by the super PAC as the “capitulating Canadian” as a dig against the fact that the GOP candidate was born in the country, supports a compromise bill called the USA Freedom Act.

Graham, an ardent supporter of government surveillance programs, is shown trying “to read your emails while doing donuts in a 1997 Geo Metro while it’s on fire.”

The overblown ad highlights the divide in the Senate over these expiring provisions.

Paul successfully blocked all efforts by the Senate late last week to temporarily renew programs that allow the warrantless data collection of Americans’ phone calls and to agree on a compromise measure. That gives the body just hours during a special Sunday session to negotiate a solution before the provisions expire.

Paul has been taking flack from his party this week over the move, with Graham’s Senate ally and 2008 GOP presidential nominee Sen. John McCain accusing him of blocking the deal to drum up support for his campaign.

His assertion that Republican hawks stoked the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria drew the ire of GOP rivals — Govs. Bobby Jindal (La.), Chris Christie (N.J.) and Scott Walker (Wisc.) — with Jindal referring to him as “unsuited” for the presidency.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/243412-pro-paul-super-pac-unleashes-fiery-attack-ad

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Rampaging Rand Paul Ad Will Set Your Underwear On Fire!
Austin Petersen - May 29, 2015

A new Rand Paul ad put out by a Super PAC might be the greatest thing to happen to libertarianism since Barack Obama was elected President.

The ad, put out by America’s Liberty PAC, cracks down on Cruz the “Capitulating Canadian” for not standing up to President Obama’s NSA programs. It also features Senator Lindsey Graham in a 1997 Geo Metro in what may be the most badass campaign ad we’ve ever seen.
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/rampaging-rand-paul-ad-will-set-your-underwear-on-fire/

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 11:46 AM
For Rand Paul, the Senate and Surveillance, It’s a Battle Royale
By Jeremy W. Peters

No, it’s not an ad for a monster truck rally or an Ultimate Fighting Championship brawl.

Though the first commercial from the “super PAC” supporting Senator Rand Paul’s presidential campaign could be confused for either. The America’s Liberty PAC is out with a new digital ad that previews the expected clash on Sunday between Mr. Paul and members of both parties who want to see the government’s domestic surveillance powers left intact.

The fight, which will take place in the Senate on Sunday just hours before a midnight deadline when the surveillance powers are set to expire, pits Mr. Paul against President Obama, who has said the program is vital in the interest of national security.

The president is portrayed as Mr. Paul’s biggest antagonist in the new ad. The ad buy, according to an adviser to the political action committee, will be in the low five figures.

Left unsaid in the spot: One of Mr. Paul’s fiercest opponents in this showdown is his fellow Kentucky Republican and the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/29/for-rand-paul-the-senate-and-surveillance-its-a-battle-royale/

VegasPatriot
05-29-2015, 11:49 AM
'fiery' attack ad?

This. + rep

if anyone on this forum deserves a rep burn it's collins. - rep for collins, and to think he constantly discourages grassroots efforts that are 10 times better than this lousy ad

acptulsa
05-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Bingo!

I agree!

You are talking about ALPACa, right?

That said, Benton's going to be eating frozen Hellsickles before he gets one dime from me for trying to make a joke of Rand Paul.

EBounding
05-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Left unsaid in the spot: One of Mr. Paul’s fiercest opponents in this showdown is his fellow Kentucky Republican and the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell.

Oh Benton....

helmuth_hubener
05-29-2015, 11:57 AM
73% of those who like Cruz also like Paul. That is an asset Paul has. Keep that in mind, guys. They're not that different. Especially in the eyes of Cruz supporters. Maybe we should, oh, not make idiotic ads that make stupid, over-the-top attacks on Cruz. Mmm?

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 11:58 AM
This New Ad for Rand Paul Has Everything, Including Fire-Breathing Eagles
The first ad this cycle from America’s Liberty PAC is a doozy.
By David Weigel - May 29, 2015

America’s Liberty PAC has not been a major player in campaigns. In the 2014 cycle, the Virginia-based group made just one independent expenditure, for North Carolina candidate Greg Brannon’s failed Senate bid. This year it has relaunched as a pro-Rand Paul PAC, chaired by Campaign for Liberty president John Tate, but its fundraising has stayed in the six-figure range.

The first rule of the Internet: If you want attention, pour on the memes. The PAC’s debut ad for Paul, "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday," begins with a fire-breathing eagle and features an announcer affecting his best monster-truck promo twang to promote this weekend's PATRIOT Act debate.

https://youtu.be/Q7qy-4CBBZo

Some artistic liberties are taken with Rand Paul.

Texas Senator Ted Cruz, who joined Paul’s speaking marathon against the PATRIOT Act but supports the USA Freedom Act, is portrayed as the "capitulating Canadian."

And South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham is portrayed in a pink 1997 Geo Metro that catches on fire, art courtesy of Paul superfan Gage Skidmore.

Reached by e-mail, Graham spokesman Kevin Bishop only said that the ad reminded him of another ad from the 2012 Ron Paul campaign.

https://youtu.be/MXCZVmQ74OA
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-05-29/fire-breathing-eagles-for-rand-paul

SilentBull
05-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Not only is it horribly made and not funny, but

1) Why would you attack Cruz at this point? To piss off his supporters?
2) Why even mention Lindsey Graham? He's not a threat at all.
3) They could have spent their time and money making an ad about how Rand was right about the weapons ending up in the wrong hands. Something to actually HELP Rand with what he is currently being attacked on.

jj-
05-29-2015, 12:08 PM
1) Why would you attack Cruz at this point? To piss off his supporters?
2) Why even mention Lindsey Graham? He's not a threat at all.
3) They could have spent their time and money making an ad about how Rand was right about the weapons ending up in the wrong hands. Something to actually HELP Rand with what he is currently being attacked on.

Here are your answers:

1. Benton
2. Benton
3. Benton

SilentBull
05-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure Peter Thiel is a big fan and friend of Ted Cruz.

Has Benton lost his mind? What the hell is he doing?

freejack
05-29-2015, 12:20 PM
This is sabotage folks, pure and simple. There's no doubt Benton is working for other interests.

jj-
05-29-2015, 12:26 PM
This is sabotage folks, pure and simple. There's no doubt Benton is working for other interests.

FLASHBACK: Benton gives Santorum the victory in Iowa.

At this point, we know with certainty that Benton thought it was a good idea to pursue Sorenson. Though there is no smoking gun that has emerged, yet, that shows Benton was aware of the under the table payments to Sorenson, it is not difficult to suspect that he did know.

But the big question is why put so much effort into pursuing Sorenson anyway?

As a political operative pointed out to me, the only thing Sorenson moving over to the Ron Paul camp did was signal to voters that the failing Bachmann camp had collapsed. It caused Bachmann voters to move to Rick Santorum, not Ron.

In other words, the nutty under the table payoff to Sorenson probably cost Ron a first or second place finish in Iowa. Take a look for yourself.

Source (http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2014/09/what-ron-paul-did-wrong.html)

jct74
05-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Well Reason wrote about the ad and didn't think anything bad of it.
http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/29/brawl-for-liberty-watch-rand-pauls-aweso

Personally, I don't really understand why this Sunday's events need to be hyped up so much or why it needs to be trivialized into some kind of WWE match. It is a very serious and important debate after all. But I guess there's some kind of strategic thinking that went into it that I'm oblivious to. Maybe it will all make more sense after Sunday.

Todd
05-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Bingo!

Until the media f***s make a headline story that there is a Feud between Rand and Cruz.

Which Cruz supporters will ultimately see.

Do you ever think about how things can be twisted?

Lindsey
05-29-2015, 12:42 PM
This is 100% embarrassing. There is NOTHING funny about it. Is there anyway it could be stopped from airing? I'd rather they lose the money and show nothing than to air this.

jct74
05-29-2015, 12:45 PM
This is 100% embarrassing. There is NOTHING funny about it. Is there anyway it could be stopped from airing? I'd rather they lose the money and show nothing than to air this.

It's an online-only thing I'm sure. Political campaigns do this all the time.

If something is going to air on TV, it is almost always chopped down to a 30 second ad.

EBounding
05-29-2015, 12:46 PM
If it's just internet, then okay whatever. Attacking Cruz is stupid though since he might end up being on the right side of history on Sunday.

tod evans
05-29-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm not fallin' for the "It's a psych exercise of the uber-smart campaign team", this targets the cro magnon crowd.

eleganz
05-29-2015, 12:52 PM
So many knee-jerk reactions from you people its actually sad.

This is not a TV ad people, its strictly for digital purposes. Its a fun and light hearted TEST at making viral videos which has a goal of letting people know there is an epic event coming on Sunday. This ad is strategic, it is claiming Rand is for privacy rights and that Ted Cruz isn't (just like team Obama) and that its all going down Sunday.

I'm glad they're testing this stuff out now rather than later, if it works it works, if it doesn't work they'll learn from it and make it even more shareable. Its the entire reason why Rand is putting so much emphasis on the digital world in his campaign. Getting virality on social media is much cheaper than paying for TV ads.

Read between the lines, if you see people sharing this video on social media then it will have served its value.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 12:53 PM
./

CaptUSA
05-29-2015, 12:56 PM
And nearly all the comments overwhelmingly positive. Guess rpf'ers just have sticks up their posteriors.

I would remind you that Reason commenters are mostly contrarians. Say anything contrarian, and they will eat it up.

I don't really have a problem with the message of the ad, it's just that it sucks. The voice-over is terrible. The editing is bad. And it's not visually appealing in any way.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 01:00 PM
I would remind you that Reason commenters are mostly contrarians. Say anything contrarian, and they will eat it up.

My past impression was that they were all retarded.

I don't really have a problem with the message of the ad, it's just that it sucks. The voice-over is terrible. The editing is bad. And it's not visually appealing in any way.
I'm pretty sure that was all on purpose; kinda the point.

Sola_Fide
05-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Not clever enough.

thoughtomator
05-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Initial impression: amateurish

Upon further review: shockingly amateurish and indicative of very poor judgment and thus zero surprise Benton was involved.

If you were looking for a reason to withhold funds from anything related to Jesse Benton, here it is.

NoOneButPaul
05-29-2015, 01:08 PM
That was truly terrible. The voice over alone ruined it.

Bastiat's The Law
05-29-2015, 01:11 PM
No, it's just stupid.

It would be ok if this was just some goofy fan made ad but this is from one of the major SuperPAC's which makes it stupid.

Agreed.

IndianaPolitico
05-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Initial opinion: They didn't spend a lot of money on this, on both the production or airing. (Internet only and I haven't seen this pushed in any Google ads.) But I have noticed a lot of media on this. I think this was a net positive.

acptulsa
05-29-2015, 01:13 PM

This is not a TV ad people, its strictly for digital purposes. Its a fun and light hearted TEST at making viral videos which has a goal of letting people know there is an epic event coming on Sunday. This ad is strategic, it is claiming Rand is for privacy rights and that Ted Cruz isn't (just like team Obama) and that its all going down Sunday.

I'm glad they're testing this stuff out now rather than later, if it works it works, if it doesn't work they'll learn from it and make it even more shareable. Its the entire reason why Rand is putting so much emphasis on the digital world in his campaign. Getting virality on social media is much cheaper than paying for TV ads.

Read between the lines, if you see people sharing this video on social media then it will have served its value.

The PATRIOT Act filibuster was a major maneuver with far-reaching consequences for Rand Paul, us and the nation.

And Benton has given the media the perfect distraction. If it all comes to naught, this will be why.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 01:16 PM
And Benton has given the media the perfect distraction. If it all comes to naught, this will be why.

Let's turn the hyperbole down a notch shall we? I hear Benton is going to eat live puppies while holding up a "sunset the patriot act" sign in front of the senate on sunday.

Bastiat's The Law
05-29-2015, 01:16 PM
"Comments are disabled for this video."

I wonder why? :rolleyes:

eleganz
05-29-2015, 01:17 PM
The PATRIOT Act filibuster was a major maneuver with far-reaching consequences for Rand Paul, us and the nation.

Distraction from what? Most people are not at home on a Sunday so they are already naturally inclined to be distracted from the event on Sunday. I think they want as many eyes on Rand this Sunday as possible so they can fundraise for the campaign so if it takes a cheesy internet video to get people to realize that the thing they've been waiting to see all these years is finally going down on SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, then so be it.

Don't you get it?

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Let's turn the hyperbole down a notch shall we? I hear Benton is going to eat live puppies while holding up a "sunset the patriot act" sign in front of the senate on sunday.

If there was a buck to be made at 'his' candidates expense I wouldn't put it past him.

acptulsa
05-29-2015, 01:23 PM
I get it but I still don't like it.

Thankfully, this product has a shelf life of less than a week.

Meanwhile, now we know if we want to send our hard-earned money to ALPACa or not.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Distraction from what? Most people are not at home on a Sunday so they are already naturally inclined to be distracted from the event on Sunday. I think they want as many eyes on Rand this Sunday as possible so they can fundraise for the campaign so if it takes a cheesy internet video to get people to realize that the thing they've been waiting to see all these years is finally going down on SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, then so be it.

Don't you get it?

No. I don't. It is absolutely beyond me. I guess I expect more from a presidential contender and those working for him. I cannot think of a single voter that I know who would be enticed to...well, do any damn thing but shake their head after watching this ad. Certainly not contribute to a PAC that would make an ad such as this.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 01:32 PM
I cannot think of a single voter that I know who

Just for a point of reference, how many voters do you know that are supporting Hillary and/or Jeb?

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 01:34 PM
Just for a point of reference, how many voters do you know that are supporting Hillary and/or Jeb?

No Hillary supporters. Even among the Dems. A few that would vote for Jeb if he were the nominee. Is this ad to entice the Hillary and Jeb voters?

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 01:37 PM
No Hillary supporters. Even among the Dems. A few that would vote for Jeb if he were the nominee. Is this ad to entice the Hillary and Jeb voters?

So clearly the voters you know are in the very distinct minority of the voting population.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 01:38 PM
So clearly the voters you know are in the very distinct minority of the voting population.

And this ad is supposed to appeal to the vast majority of the voting population? It was meant to bring in Hillary and Jeb supporters?

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 01:41 PM
And this ad is supposed to appeal to the vast majority of the voting population? It was meant to bring in Hillary and Jeb supporters?

I can't answer that question.

I just hope more people are aware that something is happening Sunday than were aware before this ad. I thought it was pretty effective at that.

helmuth_hubener
05-29-2015, 01:47 PM

This is not a TV ad people, its strictly for digital purposes.
They made a five-figure purchase of ad time to air it, according to one article posted in this thread (which you I guess did not read).

This ad is strategic,...This ad is a fun and light hearted TEST...I'm glad they're testing this stuff out now rather than later, if it works it works,...
The ad is junk. You don't need to test junk. You already know it's junk. What are you going to test about it; what is the test going to tell you? That it's junk? You already knew that.

That they *didn't* know that just shows the people doing this have no taste.

That you also seem to not know it's junk calls into question your taste as well. But at least you're not a professional and didn't work on closely it for days and spend lots of money on it and still somehow fail to notice just how junk it was.

eleganz
05-29-2015, 01:48 PM
No. I don't. It is absolutely beyond me. I guess I expect more from a presidential contender and those working for him. I cannot think of a single voter that I know who would be enticed to...well, do any damn thing but shake their head after watching this ad. Certainly not contribute to a PAC that would make an ad such as this.

Thats the point, it doesn't appear to be geared to the general voter, it is geared to liberty guys and I have a feeling the style of the ad was a huge shoutout to the Ron Paul bigdawg trucker ad. They used familiarity for the liberty crowd, they want the liberty crowd tuning in on Sunday and if Rand (we) gets what he wants, they will use that as a fundraising pitch. They want to generate hype, they want vitality, they want trending hashtags, they want to generate excitement for the people who care about ending the patriot act and from what I can tell on FB, its working.

Some of you just won't get it but its cool, at least you know the event is going down on Sunday.

jj-
05-29-2015, 01:50 PM
I have a feeling the style of the ad was a huge shoutout to the Ron Paul bigdawg trucker ad.

No, they're completely different. The Ron Paul ad was one of the best. This one? I call it trash because I'm generous.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 01:51 PM
I can't answer that question.

I just hope more people are aware that something is happening Sunday than were aware before this ad. I thought it was pretty effective at that.

Then what was the point of your question?

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Then what was the point of your question?

You said, "I cannot think of a single voter that I know who would be enticed to...well, do any damn thing but shake their head after watching this ad." as if that actually meant something. But it turns out the voters you know are not representative of the average voter, so it means pretty much nothing.

eleganz
05-29-2015, 01:55 PM
No, they're completely different. The Ron Paul ad was one of the best. This one? I call it trash because I'm generous.

They wanted liberty people to make a connection between the two, honestly I think they got their money's worth on this ad, look at all of the angry people that are reminded of Rand's big Sunday fight.:toady:

nikcers
05-29-2015, 01:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qeu7JRwt0

I emailed the digital guy this yesterday, I'd like to see an ad like this. except it would be RAND... RAND RAND RAND.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Thats the point, it doesn't appear to be geared to the general voter, it is geared to liberty guys and I have a feeling the style of the ad was a huge shoutout to the Ron Paul bigdawg trucker ad. They used familiarity for the liberty crowd, they want the liberty crowd tuning in on Sunday and if Rand (we) gets what he wants, they will use that as a fundraising pitch. They want to generate hype, they want vitality, they want trending hashtags, they want to generate excitement for the people who care about ending the patriot act and from what I can tell on FB, its working.

Some of you just won't get it but its cool, at least you know the event is going down on Sunday.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I am one of the 'liberty guys.' I did not find the ad appealing. I found it sophomoric and undeserved of a presidential contender. I did not feel it was anything like the 'bigdawg' ad. And I'm not an unfunny or not with it guy. Rand has been slaying on his tweets. His store products have been side wrenchingly funny. But this...SMDH.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 02:06 PM
You said, "I cannot think of a single voter that I know who would be enticed to...well, do any damn thing but shake their head after watching this ad." as if that actually meant something. But it turns out the voters you know are not representative of the average voter, so it means pretty much nothing.

That's what I thought you meant. The voters I know are mostly more politically aware. I'm sorry that I cull idiots from my herd. Is that a bad thing? Do you think that this ad was geared to the average voter? If not, then why ask for a break down of voter specifics for those in my circles? Because it has absolutely no bearing.

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Bill says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHbL014-D7s&feature=youtu.be

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 02:17 PM
./

dude58677
05-29-2015, 02:22 PM
So this is where my money went?:mad:

CPUd
05-29-2015, 02:23 PM
So far the net effect seems to be that Rand supporters are annoyed or pissed off, Ted Cruz supporters might be pissed off, potential donors and voters might be pissed off, Matt Collins thinks the ad is hilarious, and there are a number of stories with headlines like:

"Rand Paul supporters envision NSA fight as WWE match"

Because it is a PAC, they won't say Rand made the ad, but instead, his 'supporters'. So essentially (in the eyes of the readers), the ad was made by RPFs.

dude58677
05-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Unintended consequences...sigh!

Carlybee
05-29-2015, 02:27 PM
So far the net effect seems to be that Rand supporters are annoyed or pissed off, Ted Cruz supporters might be pissed off, potential donors and voters might be pissed off, Matt Collins thinks the ad is hilarious, and there are a number of stories with headlines like:

"Rand Paul supporters envision NSA fight as WWE match"

Because it is a PAC, they won't say Rand made the ad, but instead, his 'supporters'. So essentially (in the eyes of the readers), the ad was made by RPFs.

If it goes viral and the msm picks it up, it will be "Made by Rand".

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 02:28 PM
No need to get butthurt; cull away if it pleases you. sometimes I wish I could do that; but then I would have no social circle.

Yeah, I think it would appeal to the average voter more so than the uptight political junkie. Just for the hell of it; I showed it to a few non-political acquaintances today and they all thought it was funny. Then they asked me what was happening sunday.

It had bearing as to how to weigh your comment in regards to the general population.

So you think this ad was geared to the general population? eleganz seems to think it was geared to 'liberty guys.' I still have no idea who the hell it was geared toward.
And you base your opinions off of showing it to "a few non-political acquaintances" today. What is their breakdown politically? Non-political essentially so what is the point? When you say "few" do you mean two? A half-dozen? A hundred? Would this "few" represent the general population as a whole? Be careful when throwing stones. Your means testing pretty much amounts to nothing either. But, at least those I know vote.

squirl22
05-29-2015, 03:06 PM

So do I! I think it is hilarious, too.

It's over at Hot Air and there are people there who like it also, but of course most of Cruz supporters so there are lots of negatives. But, so it is ok for Jindal to say Rand is not fit to be Commander-in-Chief, but calling Cruz a Canadian is mud-slinging?

Wilf
05-29-2015, 03:15 PM

It's over at Hot Air and there are people there who like it also, but of course most of Cruz supporters so there are lots of negatives. But, so it is ok for Jindal to say Rand is not fit to be Commander-in-Chief, but calling Cruz a Canadian is mud-slinging?

Depends of the cirumstances

It is most like to be ingored by the msm

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 03:17 PM

But, so it is ok for Jindal to say Rand is not fit to be Commander-in-Chief, but calling Cruz a Canadian is mud-slinging?

Two part question.

But, so it is ok for Jindal to say Rand is not fit to be Commander-in-Chief

No it is not. It is even against Jindal's state constitution to mudsling from his pulpit.

but calling Cruz a Canadian is mud-slinging?

Yes. It is.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 03:20 PM
How do you perceive the ad? Fiery or awful?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/poll.php?pollid=5968&do=showresults

cajuncocoa
05-29-2015, 03:22 PM
What did I just watch? :eek:

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 03:25 PM
What did I just watch? :eek:

Benton at his best.

Wilf
05-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Yes. It is.

No,it is not

The Canadain media has not covered Rand Paul to the extant that he is well knowed

asurfaholic
05-29-2015, 03:36 PM
I've been lol'ing at this thread all day.

Then I came home and watched the video. Now my eyes hurt and I feel weird in a weird way.

The thing that bothers me the most is the fact I actually liked it...

staerker
05-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Initially I was laughing at all the criticism in this thread. Then I watched the clip.

eta: asurfaholic: uncanny.

newbitech
05-29-2015, 03:39 PM
I just watched this again with a slightly different mindset.

Could you imagine if this is how politics was presented 24/7? I would bet that if this is how politics was presented 24/7 voter turnout would be amazing and people would be much more interested in civics.

I kind of laugh at the thought of it actually. Most people I know basically treat politics like this anyways, it's either a fucking joke, or they want nothing to do with it.

nikcers
05-29-2015, 03:41 PM
So you think this ad was geared to the general population? eleganz seems to think it was geared to 'liberty guys.' I still have no idea who the hell it was geared toward.
And you base your opinions off of showing it to "a few non-political acquaintances" today. What is their breakdown politically? Non-political essentially so what is the point? When you say "few" do you mean two? A half-dozen? A hundred? Would this "few" represent the general population as a whole? Be careful when throwing stones. Your means testing pretty much amounts to nothing either. But, at least those I know vote.

My theory is this is supposed to be really cringe-worthy because they hoped it would go viral. Its to make people rubberneck, stop what they are doing to watch something so horrible, maybe even pundits and fox will play it so they can say how bad it is.

angelatc
05-29-2015, 03:47 PM
My theory is this is supposed to be really cringe-worthy because they hoped it would go viral. Its to make people rubberneck, stop what they are doing to watch something so horrible, maybe even pundits and fox will play it so they can say how bad it is.

Knowing how the Benton machine operates, all I can do is smile sadly at this. But don't let me get to you- stay positive as long as you can.

satchelmcqueen
05-29-2015, 03:49 PM
it was funny, but i dont think it was good. and trust me, if i say it wasnt good thats saying something. ive got a fucked up sense of humor too.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 03:51 PM
it was funny, but i dont think it was good. and trust me, if i say it wasnt good thats saying something. ive got a fucked up sense of humor too.

Lol. This is about the worst admonition backed up by personal integrity I've seen yet. :p

FSP-Rebel
05-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Let's just hope for the best on this one, perhaps there'll be a silver lining when all is said and done.

jj-
05-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Let's just hope for the best on this one, perhaps there'll be a silver lining when all is said and done.

there is one for Jesse Benton who gets paid while trashing Rand's campaign.

Michael Landon
05-29-2015, 04:03 PM
That was horrible.

- ML

timosman
05-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Just stop sending money to these clowns. This is beyond embarrassing. The person who approved this video must undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Can we get some names ?

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Just stop sending money to these clowns. This is beyond embarrassing. The person who approved this video must undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Can we get some names ?

Welcome new member. :rolleyes:

eleganz
05-29-2015, 04:27 PM
People, this is supposed to be a cheesy ad that people talk about how cheesy it is so even more people watching and tell other people how cheesy it is. The point is to get you to remember that something is going to happen Sunday.

You're all here crying about how much it sucked but it worked on you, didn't it?

The same Jesse Benton and John Tate that were senior officials in Ron Paul's official campaign that made the big dog ad are the same senior officials that made this ad. You think they can't replicate the quality and messaging of the big dog ad if they wanted to?

This is supposed to be an internet campaign, how is this so much different than the other ridiculous internet memes and videos that have been talked about so much.

Is RPF so blinded with hatred for Benton that you guys can't see the blatantly obvious? :roll eyes:

garyallen59
05-29-2015, 04:37 PM
People, this is supposed to be a cheesy ad that people talk about how cheesy it is so even more people watching and tell other people how cheesy it is. The point is to get you to remember that something is going to happen Sunday.

You're all here crying about how much it sucked but it worked on you, didn't it?

The same Jesse Benton and John Tate that were senior officials in Ron Paul's official campaign that made the big dog ad are the same senior officials that made this ad. You think they can't replicate the quality and messaging of the big dog ad if they wanted to?

This is supposed to be an internet campaign, how is this so much different than the other ridiculous internet memes and videos that have been talked about so much.

Is RPF so blinded with hatred for Benton that you guys can't see the blatantly obvious? :roll eyes:

I've watched it a few times earlier and I don't remember anything that was in it. It's just stupid. No one will remember it except for Cruz supporters because it has that stupid part about Cruz being Canadian and it will piss them off. It's not funny and it's not worth passing around because it's not any good. I don't care about Benton, I'm one of the few who didn't care if he was on the campaign. This ad is just dumb.

timosman
05-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Given how successful the previous two campaigns were, I have no doubts these two will be able to pull it off this time. I think they should enlist additional help to further bolster the social media campaign. Here is a great team they could use - https://youtu.be/itvvFfeLh84

Wilf
05-29-2015, 04:41 PM
I've watched it a few times earlier and I don't remember anything that was in it. It's just stupid. No one will remember it except for Cruz supporters because it has that stupid part about Cruz being Canadian and it will piss them off. It's not funny and it's not worth passing around because it's not any good. I don't care about Benton, I'm one of the few who didn't care if he was on the campaign. This ad is just dumb.

How?:confused:

idiom
05-29-2015, 04:41 PM
It is possible to produce cheese it memorable effective ways, that have strong messaging.

This has horrible messaging, I can barely make out what the audio is promoting.

I know what the target audience is. Its a classic political circlejerk, where insiders think they are being extremely clever, but don't get how bubblised they are. The QA and approval on this was clearly an echo-chamber with no red-team blue-team vetting.

You can tell the difference between when a professional is deliberately being amateurish, and when a high schooler is on the payroll

I only know this is about Sunday because of the comments I read. The ad fails to even highlight Sunday.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 04:43 PM

Just showed it to the ole lady. Because of my enthusiasm for Ron she got caught up in Ron's campaigns. Other than that she is fairly non-political. She just sat and shook her head while watching the ad. Truly put off. From politics. From Rand.
It's not a blind hatred for Benton. It's known and proven track record of political asshattery. This ain't a frat party.

jj-
05-29-2015, 04:43 PM
The same Jesse Benton and John Tate that were senior officials in Ron Paul's official campaign that made the big dog ad are the same senior officials that made this ad.

It's the same Jesse Benton who sabotaged Ron Paul's campaign in Iowa and gave victory to Rick Santorum (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?475640-Pro-Paul-group-unleashes-fiery-attack-ad&p=5882538#post5882538).

timosman
05-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Its a classic political circlejerk, where insiders think they are being extremely clever, but don't get how bubblised they are. The QA and approval on this was clearly an echo-chamber with no red-team blue-team vetting.

AMEN. I think the word "circlejerk" does not get used enough on this forum. Maybe some people would realize where their heads are.

thoughtomator
05-29-2015, 04:50 PM
It makes no sense whatsoever to be targeting Cruz at this point; all that will happen is that his supporters will be pissed off and less likely to cross over. The rest of the field is a target-rich environment, why not aim at Rubio or Bush instead?

garyallen59
05-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Because they're sensitive and they will think it's an attack on Cruz's eligibility to be president.

The last thing we need is a feud between Paul and Cruz at this point and the media will try to make it one if they can.

Wilf
05-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Because they're sensitive and they will think it's an attack on Cruz's eligibility to be president.

The last thing we need is a feud between Paul and Cruz at this point and the media will try to make it one if they can.

Ok, I just think you are over reacting currently

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 04:57 PM
I only know this is about Sunday because of the comments I read. The ad fails to even highlight Sunday.

I don't think you even watched the ad with the volume turned on if you can say that.

jj-
05-29-2015, 05:00 PM
I don't think you even watched the ad with the volume turned on if you can say that.

When a thousand things scream for attention, it's easy to miss one thing.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 05:02 PM
./

TaftFan
05-29-2015, 05:06 PM
I have seen Rand get blamed for this all day. Benton should resign. You can't call Cruz a Canadian.

jj-
05-29-2015, 05:08 PM
The ad may be a bunch of things; but it certainly doesn't fail to highlight sunday. come on.

The sunday at the end is easy to miss because your attention has already been exhausted by that point.

The first Sunday is easy to forget due to all the things that follow it. You're thinking about canadian Ted Cruz and you already forgot about it.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 05:10 PM
You can't call Cruz a Canadian.

Why? The truth can't be spoken?

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 05:12 PM
The ad may be a bunch of things; but it certainly doesn't fail to highlight sunday. come on.

I would think that it highlights how much a fail ALPAC is. I don't see a thread on Super Sunday's merits with greater views or comments.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 05:19 PM

Wish I'd been born outside of U.S borders to my service member family. Then maybe I wouldn't have to put up with this "social contract" bullshit.

TaftFan
05-29-2015, 05:21 PM

It's making fun of him because he happened to be born in Canada and people see it that way.

Very immature and petty.

roho76
05-29-2015, 05:22 PM
It's not an official campaign release. Lighten up. It's not the best ad but it's so over the top that it will get people to watch it and it's not saying anything untrue or disrespectful.

jj-
05-29-2015, 05:22 PM
This is clearly worse than 'he is catching on, i'm telling ya!', but if memory serves correctly, the latter unleashed more fury.

specsaregood
05-29-2015, 05:27 PM
It's making fun of him because he happened to be born in Canada and people see it that way.
Very immature and petty.

As we have discussed in the past; it only butthurts Rafael's supporters because so many of them are/were birthers. And its a hypocrisy they would much rather hide in the closet.

Wilf
05-29-2015, 05:30 PM

Very immature and petty.

In addition, Cruz probably does not have any memory of living in Canada, so he does not understand the culture and custom of living there

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 05:33 PM
It's not an official campaign release. Lighten up. It's not the best ad but it's so over the top that it will get people to watch it and it's not saying anything untrue or disrespectful.

No. It's not. It's his frikken SUPERPAC. SuperPACS are supposed to be the holy grail in a Republic that restricts individual donations. Yet, somehow campaign apologists like Teh Collinz will call grassroots efforts infantile and destructive to the official campaign. L.M.A.O.

nikcers
05-29-2015, 05:34 PM

Very immature and petty.

LOL if cruz camp wants to cry about him being canadian let them that was the only part of the ad i thought was funny

garyallen59
05-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Ok, I just think you are over reacting currently

Trust me I'm as calm as can be here. I don't think I could overreact if I wanted to at the moment.

I just think the ad is dumb and also throws an unnecessary jab at Ted Cruz that will make some Cruz supporters upset.

Just an opinion. Not an overreaction.

edit: This is me right now: http://cuboidal.org/lebowski-treehorn/images/3-dudeoncouch.jpg

Crashland
05-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Just showed it to the ole lady. Because of my enthusiasm for Ron she got caught up in Ron's campaigns. Other than that she is fairly non-political. She just sat and shook her head while watching the ad. Truly put off. From politics. From Rand.
It's not a blind hatred for Benton. It's known and proven track record of political asshattery. This ain't a frat party.

The thing is, the ad is so repulsive to older people that it is unlikely to get very much exposure to that demographic. They'll tune out immediately and won't share it. On the other hand, young people will share it with their young friends because of how stupid it is. So if the goal was to get exposure to young people, I think it will have succeeded. Already 32,000 views after less than 24 hours is actually quite impressive for a PAC ad. It's like it's trying so hard to be viral that it actually is. What the net effect of that exposure will be though, who knows. It's a really messed up ad. Maybe the message of the ad is 'hey young people, here's something stupid, now wake the F up and look at Rand Paul'

Wilf
05-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Trust me I'm as calm as can be here. I don't think I could overreact if I wanted to at the moment.

I just think the ad is dumb and also throws an unnecessary jab at Ted Cruz that will make some Cruz supporters upset.

Just an opinion. Not an overreaction.

Ok, I agree with you

On another note if this pissed of the Cruz camp, how many voters does Rand need to win

garyallen59
05-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Ok, I agree with you

On another note if this pissed of the Cruz camp, how many voters does Rand need to win

More than Ron got. Or maybe not depends on how split the field is.

asurfaholic
05-29-2015, 05:44 PM

Damn Canadians

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 05:46 PM
The thing is, the ad is so repulsive to older people that it is unlikely to get very much exposure to that demographic. They'll tune out immediately and won't share it. On the other hand, young people will share it with their young friends because of how stupid it is. So if the goal was to get exposure to young people, I think it will have succeeded. Already 32,000 views after less than 24 hours is actually quite impressive for a PAC ad. It's like it's trying so hard to be viral that it actually is. What the net effect of that exposure will be though, who knows. It's a really messed up ad. Maybe the message of the ad is 'hey young people, here's something stupid, now wake the F up and look at Rand Paul'

Youngest nephew actually sent it to me.

"Hahaha that is some sick shit!"

He didn't vote in the last two elections. He's stoning out in Colorado. Don't expect him to make it to the primary polls this go around. Don't expect him to send a dime to the campaign. Don't expect him to tune in Sunday.

CPUd
05-29-2015, 05:49 PM
The sunday at the end is easy to miss because your attention has already been exhausted by that point.

The first Sunday is easy to forget due to all the things that follow it. You're thinking about canadian Ted Cruz and you already forgot about it.

You are talking about the ad that is titled, "Sunday,Sunday,Sunday"?

asurfaholic
05-29-2015, 05:50 PM
http://www.yumyucky.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/syrup-crimes.jpg

Wilf
05-29-2015, 05:51 PM
http://www.yumyucky.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/syrup-crimes.jpg

:D

jj-
05-29-2015, 05:59 PM
You are talking about the ad that is titled, "Sunday,Sunday,Sunday"?

Yeah, man, nobody reads the title. I pwnd you, accept it and move on.

DevilsAdvocate
05-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Could this ad be Rand Paul's "Howard Dean" moment?

This actually makes me ashamed to be a supporter. I feel embarassed watching it.

Jesse Benton does not have the experience, the demeanor, or even the maturity one would expect from the leader of a large organization. It's like sticking a little league pitcher in a big league game. He's just out of place, an obstuction in the organization. All workflow is intentionally diverted around him to avoid his clumsy touch. Like a boulder sitting in the middle of a stream.

The first rule of business, is you never hire your family. The chances that the best possible person for the job just happens to also be your family member is about 1000 to 1. Keep in mind, Benton didn't get to his position because of his qualifications, he got there out of nepotism. And the movement has had a heck of a time trying to get rid of him. He's digging in his fingernails, clinging to us like a tick on a wolfs back. We need to shake him off.

Keeping Benton away from the campaign was a great move by Rand. Political campaigns are more than just a test of political persuasion, it's also a test to see which candidate has the chops to successfully lead an organization and hire the right people for the job. This is where Ron failed, and Rand is succeeding. But letting Benton head the SuperPac? Foolish. Like when I was a kid, my mom would tell me to pick up my clothes, so I just shoved them all under the bed. I didn't solve the problem, I just tried to conceal it.

Sometimes you have to be the bad guy. If someone is overpromoted, you need to cut them down to size. If someone is repeatedly screwing up, you need to let him go. Because in the end, it's not about him, it's about the final product you are presenting to the consumer. It's about the jobs of everyone else in the company that are at risk because of the bumbling manager.

idiom
05-29-2015, 07:13 PM
This is what low budget, trying to look amateur, hilarious, looks like when made by professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

timosman
Careful with these accusations of nepotism. Your account might be suspended :)

squirl22
Why are there so many people here who are so negative about Rand? Seems like there are more Cruz supporters than Rand supporters here. Go over to The Right Scoop, they will like you over there. BTW, most Cruz supporters do not like Rand Paul and will never vote for him because they are "Christian Hawks" who love killing other people.

idiom
05-29-2015, 07:14 PM

Tried watching it on a phone or in an office environment?

squirl22
05-29-2015, 07:17 PM

You are dreaming; most Cruz supporters hate Rand and will never support him. They are the very same people who attacked Obama for not being eligible because of citizenship issues and just ignore Cruz's same issues. They are hypocrites, not very smart, and do not vote. So stop worrying about them. They are not worried at all about your vote.

Rudeman
05-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Why are there so many people here who are so negative about Rand? Seems like there are more Cruz supporters than Rand supporters here. Go over to The Right Scoop, they will like you over there. BTW, most Cruz supporters do not like Rand Paul and will never vote for him because they are "Christian Hawks" who love killing other people.

Some people just freak out over everything, same thing with Ron. This isn't the first and it certainly won't be the last.

jj-
05-29-2015, 07:21 PM
You are dreaming; most Cruz supporters hate Rand and will never support him. They are the very same people who attacked Obama for not being eligible because of citizenship issues and just ignore Cruz's same issues. They are hypocrites, not very smart, and do not vote. So stop worrying about them. They are not worried at all about your vote.

There are lots of Cruz supporters that don't post at TheRightScoop. The people you're referring to are a small fraction of TC supporters. The average voter isn't fanatical at all for primary candidate, they go back and forth and change their support.

squirl22
05-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Yes. It is.

But Ted Cruz is a Canadian. He just denounced his Canadian citizenship this past year. Are you sure you are posting at the right site? This is a site that is supposed to support Rand not Ted.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 07:26 PM

So you believe the best strategy is only to engage the faithful. I know Cruz supporters that second choice would be Rand.

BTW. Welcome. New member. :rolleyes:

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Some people just freak out over everything, same thing with Ron. This isn't the first and it certainly won't be the last.

The correct course of action is just to send money and to STFU? Been there. Done that. No thanks. Clear reasoned thinking requires critique.

cri·tique
kriˈtēk/Submit
noun
a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.

GunnyFreedom
05-29-2015, 07:32 PM

I know mega-boatloads of Cruz supporters for whom Rand is a strong second choice.

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 07:38 PM
I know mega-boatloads of Cruz supporters for whom Rand is a strong second choice.

squirl22 is just another of the many sock puppets that popped up today. But responding to it's bullshit does set the issue straight. +rep.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Just showed it to the little woman (a marketing professional). She laughed at it. After it was over, I asked what the message was. She said it's about something on Sunday happening with Rand, nothing else memorable. She thought it was eye-catching and great if it's grassroots, not so great if anyone spent money on it.

devil21
05-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Did anybody really expect better from Benton??? A big part of his "job" is to take down Rand (and the Pauls as a presidential political force) from the inside. If people haven't figured that out yet then they haven't been paying enough attention to the details.

garyallen59
05-29-2015, 07:51 PM
This is what low budget, trying to look amateur, hilarious, looks like when made by professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

By the way folks watch this it's great.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Probably not the best idea to be "negative" about Cruz directly, even though he has thrown a few barbs at Rand in the past. He is often on the same side. It might be more helpful just to point out positions that Cruz has been taking that are not popular with most of his supporters, such as supporting TPA/TPP, and supporting increased immigration. That is news to a lot of his supporters, except the ones in the media, who do their best to cover up when Cruz takes a position they know will be unpopular.

Crashland
05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lTQ61uH.jpg

Rudeman
05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
The correct course of action is just to send money and to STFU? Been there. Done that. No thanks. Clear reasoned thinking requires critique.

cri·tique
kriˈtēk/Submit
noun
a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.

Nope, but I can't even tell you how many times people have declared that Rand's presidential chances are over or something similar to that. There's rational/reasoned criticism and then there's overreaction/irrational criticism.

afwjam
05-29-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm no Benton fan, but I think it's alright as a viral web video.

eleganz
05-29-2015, 08:48 PM
So I have a friend who refuses to register as a Republican sharing this video and saying its funny.

TaftFan
05-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Dammit
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/29/team-rand-attacks-canadian-ted-cruz/

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 09:08 PM
For all those who think this ad is somehow "harmful" ... I would like to see your polling data on how the average voter reacts to the ad... tell us please how many people you polled to know that the ad was a disaster....

Oh, and nevermind the fact that almost no voters will actually ever see it

Crashland
05-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Dammit
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/29/team-rand-attacks-canadian-ted-cruz/

From the article:

Technically, the ad is not endorsed by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)’s campaign, but the Super PAC is endorsed by Paul and led by former campaign strategist Jesse Benton, who married into the Paul family and worked for not only Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)s Senate campaign but also Ron Paul’s 2008 presidential campaign.

How can the Super PAC be endorsed by Paul?

Danke
05-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Oh, and nevermind the fact that almost no voters will actually ever see it

Then why your thumbs up? I thought you were the expert in campaigning techniques.

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 09:12 PM

Exactly. Nail on the head.

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Teh Collinz will call grassroots efforts infantile and destructive to the official campaign.Only the ones that are

staerker
Ah. The 2016 season has officially begun. :p

kahless
Probably not the best idea to be "negative" about Cruz directly, even though he has thrown a few barbs at Rand in the past. He is often on the same side. It might be more helpful just to point out positions that Cruz has been taking that are not popular with most of his supporters, such as supporting TPA/TPP, and supporting increased immigration. That is news to a lot of his supporters, except the ones in the media, who do their best to cover up when Cruz takes a position they know will be unpopular.

I agree but wish Cruz would just go back to playing Reverend Newlin in True Blood.

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Then why your thumbs up? I thought you were the expert in campaigning techniques.
Because the ad has a very specific purpose, and winning over voters is probably not one of them. There are other reasons to run ads besides just winning votes (such as drawing attention to something the opposition doesn't want, or trying to get the opposition to respond and get them off message, or branding, etc).

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Could this ad be Rand Paul's "Howard Dean" moment?

This actually makes me ashamed to be a supporter. I feel embarassed watching it.

Jesse Benton does not have the experience, the demeanor, or even the maturity one would expect from the leader of a large organization. It's like sticking a little league pitcher in a big league game. He's just out of place, an obstuction in the organization. All workflow is intentionally diverted around him to avoid his clumsy touch. Like a boulder sitting in the middle of a stream.

The first rule of business, is you never hire your family. The chances that the best possible person for the job just happens to also be your family member is about 1000 to 1. Keep in mind, Benton didn't get to his position because of his qualifications, he got there out of nepotism. And the movement has had a heck of a time trying to get rid of him. He's digging in his fingernails, clinging to us like a tick on a wolfs back. We need to shake him off.

Keeping Benton away from the campaign was a great move by Rand. Political campaigns are more than just a test of political persuasion, it's also a test to see which candidate has the chops to successfully lead an organization and hire the right people for the job. This is where Ron failed, and Rand is succeeding. But letting Benton head the SuperPac? Foolish. Like when I was a kid, my mom would tell me to pick up my clothes, so I just shoved them all under the bed. I didn't solve the problem, I just tried to conceal it.

Sometimes you have to be the bad guy. If someone is overpromoted, you need to cut them down to size. If someone is repeatedly screwing up, you need to let him go. Because in the end, it's not about him, it's about the final product you are presenting to the consumer. It's about the jobs of everyone else in the company that are at risk because of the bumbling manager.
You don't have any clue what you're talking about...

Natural Citizen
05-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Whoah. It worked? :eek: Heh...

http://rt.com/usa/263381-super-pac-casts-rand-wwe/

You know we get billions of views at RT on these articles and op-eds. Youtube alone has already surpassed 3 billion views which leads any news network on youtube. Scwewy stuff. Seems like the silly stuff wins out in society these days.

Comments are now open. Who wants to comment first? :)

Danke
05-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Because the ad has a very specific purpose, and winning over voters is probably not one of them. There are other reasons to run ads besides just winning votes (such as drawing attention to something the opposition doesn't want, or trying to get the opposition to respond and get them off message, or branding, etc).

Well then, it is brilliant! Who needs voters when you are trying to win an election.

cajuncocoa
05-29-2015, 09:25 PM
LOL
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8688449/rand-paul-wrestling-patriot-act-vote

Crashland
05-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Think it will make Drudge?

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Dammit

And not even a passing mention of the fact that Rand and Cruz were on opposite sides of the TPA/TPP votes. Imagine that. An article about their differences ignores the other big vote where they disagreed.

timosman
05-29-2015, 09:39 PM
You don't have any clue what you're talking about...

Care to elaborate ? :confused:

Brett85
05-29-2015, 09:41 PM
That was an absolutely awful ad. One of the worst I've ever seen.

GunnyFreedom
05-29-2015, 09:41 PM
The comments on the Breitbart article clearly demonstrate why attacking Cruz at this point in time was a really stupid idea.

ETA -- Breitbart, which has been overwhelmingly favorable to Paul so far, has just united in hatred of Paul and support of Cruz.

Great job dimwits.

TaftFan
05-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Care to elaborate ? :confused:

Don't ask.

Brett85
05-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Kind of reminds me of this ad. Except that Herman Cain's ad was at least humorous and epic because of its oddness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx2u661gI0Q

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2015, 09:51 PM
Dammit

My response:

Matt Collins
05-29-2015, 09:53 PM
The comments on the Breitbart article clearly demonstrate why attacking Cruz at this point in time was a really stupid idea.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

adelina
05-29-2015, 09:54 PM

ETA -- Breitbart, which has been overwhelmingly favorable to Paul so far, has just united in hatred of Paul and support of Cruz.

Great job dimwits.
No. Matthew Boyle has been favorable to Paul. Breitbart is a Cruz support site and has been so for at least half a year. There are plenty of Cruz and Walker shills there.

nikcers
05-29-2015, 09:55 PM
We'll find out who wins Sunday- when I found out Cruz voted for that democrat bill he lost any chance of being my number 2. I was already miffed when he kept implying that Paul was an isolationist. That guy is just another koch candidate to me now.

Massachusetts
05-29-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm as big of a Rand supporter as anybody, but there are way too many sycophants that will say everything that is done on Rand's behalf and by Rand is genius :D Spoiler alert: his campaign f***s up just as much as any other campaign does and may sometimes be the victim of groupthink and sycophancy..whether you want to hear that or not.

Sometimes you have to take your head out of the sand and smell the roses. If the idea was to make something so stupid it would go viral, and in the same breath you say "it's not a big deal, no real voters are going to see it"...what the hell did you spend x amount of dollars on? For all the fundraising letters they send out, they should be utilizing donors' money to get a better ROI..

jj-
05-29-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm as big of a Rand supporter as anybody, but there are way too many sycophants that will say everything that is done on Rand's behalf and by Rand is genius

Some people like Matt Collins also often have some financial interest.

GunnyFreedom
05-29-2015, 10:04 PM
No. Matthew Boyle has been favorable to Paul. Breitbart is a Cruz support site and has been so for at least half a year. There are plenty of Cruz and Walker shills there.

I'm getting (or, at least I WAS before this) all kinds of Paul-love from Breitbart people on my fb feeds the last quarter.

eleganz
05-29-2015, 10:08 PM

Great job dimwits.

All of the viewers and especially the commenters are all the same on the political wing websites, I rarely see pro Rand comments on breitbart as it is, they only came around to huddle around him for single issue events like the filibuster. They will come around and huddle again later regardless of what happened today but the rest of the time they will still spend talking about Rand's close relationship with Mitch.

Its the same old story told over and over again. This one ad is not the end of the world guys.

Its funny, laugh it off and go to sleep knowing that Rand is the only senator putting up a damn good fight to end the Patriot Act once and for all.

jj-
05-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Its funny, laugh it off

How do you laugh at something that isn't funny?

GunnyFreedom
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
All of the viewers and especially the commenters are all the same on the political wing websites, I rarely see pro Rand comments on breitbart as it is, they only came around to huddle around him for single issue events like the filibuster. They will come around and huddle again later regardless of what happened today but the rest of the time they will still spend talking about Rand's close relationship with Mitch.

Its the same old story told over and over again. This one ad is not the end of the world guys.

Its funny, laugh it off and go to sleep knowing that Rand is the only senator putting up a damn good fight to end the Patriot Act once and for all.

There are ways to attack another candidate without alienating his supporters for whom your guy is #2. I'm getting a lot of Rand negativity from Cruzers on my fb feed right now. We pull from Cruz more than anybody. Losing the 'second choice' position of Cruzers could in fact be devastating to the final outcome of the Primary. There are ways to criticize Ted Cruz without pissing off his supporters and making them retrench and hate Paul.

Rand's campaign is doing great. The turd from Benton cannot be polished, and should never have been laid.

francisco
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
... This one ad is not the end of the world guys.

All true, but I gotta say this ad is a special kind of stupid/awful.

Saving grace: If Benton had anything to do with it, his stock with his Super-PAC employer must have gone way down. One beautiful thing about the marketplace is that eventually the incompetent performers are weeded out.

GunnyFreedom
05-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I've been publishing stories for months that have been winning Cruz supporters over to Rand. I'm losing some of the ground I've gained now.

http://glenbradley.net/imghost/april2015/rpf/cruz1.jpg

TaftFan
05-29-2015, 10:32 PM
I've been publishing stories for months that have been winning Cruz supporters over to Rand. I'm losing some of the ground I've gained now.

http://glenbradley.net/imghost/april2015/rpf/cruz1.jpg
It's a little damn frustrating to see hard-earned progress washed down the drain, isn't it?