PDA

View Full Version : Ex-US Speaker indicted over $3.5 million in payments

Dianne
05-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Well, what ya know ... Another corrupt Speaker of the House. When I say end the Fed, I mean the total Fed, including the Congress and the White House. Just dump all these criminals into the very cesspool from whence they came.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-us-speaker-hastert-indicted-bank-related-charges-214129927--politics.html

CHICAGO (AP) — Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert agreed to pay $3.5 million in hush money to keep an unidentified person silent about "prior misconduct" by the Illinois Republican who was once third in line to the U.S. presidency, according to a federal grand jury indictment handed down on Thursday in Chicago.

The indictment, which does not describe the misconduct Hastert was allegedly trying to conceal, charges the 73-year-old with one count of evading bank regulations as he withdrew tens of thousands of dollars at a time to make the payments. He is also charged with one count of lying to the FBI about the reason for the unusual bank withdrawals.

Each count of the indictment carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The Associated Press left a phone message seeking comment with a person at Hastert's Washington, D.C., office. It was not immediately returned. Hastert did not immediately return a message left on his cellphone seeking comment, or respond to an email.

Hastert withdrew a total of around $1.7 million in cash from various bank accounts from 2010 to 2014, and then provided it to the person identified in the indictment only as Individual A. Hastert allegedly agreed to pay the person $3.5 million, but never apparently paid that full amount.

The indictment notes Hastert was a high school teacher and coach from 1965 to 1981 in suburban Yorkville, about 50 miles west of Chicago. While the indictment says Individual A has been a resident of Yorkville and has known Hastert most of his life, it doesn't describe their relationship.
View gallery
File photo of U.S. House of Representatives Speaker …
U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) leaves the Committee on Standards of Off …

The indictment says Hastert agreed to the payments after multiple meetings in 2010. It says that "during at least one of the meetings, Individual A and defendant discussed past misconduct by defendant against Individual A that had occurred years earlier" and Hastert agreed to pay Individual A $3.5 million "in order to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct against Individual A," the indictment says.

The indictment says that between 2010 and 2012 Hastert made fifteen $50,000 withdrawals of cash from bank accounts at Old Second Bank, People's State Bank and Castle Bank and gave cash to Individual A around every six weeks.

Around April 2012, bank officials began questioning Hastert about the large withdrawals, and starting in July of that year, Hastert reduced the amounts he withdrew at a time to less than $10,000 —apparently so they would not run afoul of a regulation designed to stop illicit activity such as money laundering , according to the indictment.

Among the focuses of the FBI investigation was whether Hastert, in the words of the indictment, was "the victim of a criminal extortion related to, among other matters, his prior positions in government." The court document does not elaborate.

Investigators questioned Hastert on Dec. 8, 2014 and he lied about why he had been withdrawing so much money at a time. He told investigators he did it because he didn't trust the banking system, the indictment alleges.
View gallery
In this March 5, 2008, file photo, former U.S. House …
In this March 5, 2008, file photo, former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert speaks to lawmakers on t …

"Yeah ... I kept the cash. That's what I am doing," it quotes Hastert as saying.

Hastert was a little known lawmaker from suburban Chicago when chosen to succeed conservative Newt Gingrich as speaker. Hastert was picked after favored Louisiana Congressman Bob Livingston resigned following his admission of several sexual affairs.

As speaker, Hastert pushed President George W. Bush's legislative agenda, helping pass a massive tax cut and expanding Medicare prescription drug benefits.

He retired from Congress in 2007 after eight years as speaker, making him the longest-serving Republican House speaker.

staerker
05-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Well, what ya know ... Another corrupt Speaker of the House. When I say end the Fed, I mean the total Fed, including the Congress and the White House. Just dump all these criminals into the very cesspool from whence they came.

A guy I knew told me he didn't support Dr. Paul, because whenever he mentioned Ending the Fed, he thought Dr. Paul meant the fedgov. Would not be surprised if that misinterpretation was widespread.

eta: he was extremely political, so it surprised me. He didn't consume alternative media though.

erowe1
05-28-2015, 08:35 PM
A guy I knew told me he didn't support Dr. Paul, because whenever he mentioned Ending the Fed, he thought Dr. Paul meant the fedgov.

I'm not so sure that guy was wrong.

angelatc
05-28-2015, 09:18 PM
The indictment says Hastert agreed to the payments after multiple meetings in 2010. It says that "during at least one of the meetings, Individual A and defendant discussed past misconduct by defendant against Individual A that had occurred years earlier" and Hastert agreed to pay Individual A $3.5 million "in order to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct against Individual A," the indictment says.

Blackmail. Great gig if you can get it!

francisco
05-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Just how did an ex-high school teacher accumulate so much cash after becoming a public official, anyway?

The system is corrupt (Duh.)

I've got a good guess about what the alleged misconduct was. We'll see if my instinct is correct after all the facts come out.

enhanced_deficit
05-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Who did he offend.

Pretty amazing journey as he went from a high school wrestling coach to being a "featured attorney" for notorious Dickstein Shapiro lobbyist firm if chatter on internets is to be believed.

Biography of Speaker J. Dennis Hastert | Dickstein Shapiro
www.dicksteinshapiro.com/people/speaker-j-dennis-hastert
Dickstein Shapiro
J. Dennis Hastert, former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, joined ... Speaker Hastert served from January 6, 1999 until January 3, 2007 and was the ... ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

http://www.dicksteinshapiro.com/people/speaker-j-dennis-hastert

There were reports that Dickstein was trying to delete that webpage quickly.

The website for Dickstein Shapiro LLC had Hastert's biography as a "featured attorney" as late as Thursday afternoon, but Hastert's contact details appeared to have been removed from the website hours later.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DENNIS_HASTERT_INDICTMENT_THE_LATEST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/175/473/1600/wrestling-team.jpghttp://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-there-has-to-be-some-limit-to-what-lawyers-can-take-from-their-clients-otherwise-cagey-attorneys-dennis-hastert-80759.jpg

Dianne
05-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Just how did an ex-high school teacher accumulate so much cash after becoming a public official, anyway?

The system is corrupt (Duh.)

I've got a good guess about what the alleged misconduct was. We'll see if my instinct is correct after all the facts come out.

House Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, reported a net worth ranging from about $2 million to $6 million in 2010, much of it in blue-chip stocks. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., reported a net worth of at least $3.35 million. Not bad for someone working in the packaging and plastics industry before Congress (John Boehner), and a private practice attorney (Harry Reid).

Ronin Truth
05-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Caught another criminal GOP ex-Speaker of the House?

Where the hell is the Pelosi indictment?

jllundqu
05-29-2015, 09:36 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-us-speaker-hastert-indicted-bank-related-charges-214129927--politics.html

CHICAGO (AP) — Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert agreed to pay $3.5 million in hush money to keep an unidentified person silent about "prior misconduct" by the Illinois Republican who was once third in line to the U.S. presidency, according to a federal grand jury indictment handed down on Thursday in Chicago.

The indictment, which does not describe the misconduct Hastert was allegedly trying to conceal, charges the 73-year-old with one count of evading bank regulations as he withdrew tens of thousands of dollars at a time to make the payments. He is also charged with one count of lying to the FBI about the reason for the unusual bank withdrawals.

Each count of the indictment carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The Associated Press left a phone message seeking comment with a person at Hastert's Washington, D.C., office. It was not immediately returned. Hastert did not immediately return a message left on his cellphone seeking comment, or respond to an email.

Hastert withdrew a total of around $1.7 million in cash from various bank accounts from 2010 to 2014, and then provided it to the person identified in the indictment only as Individual A. Hastert allegedly agreed to pay the person $3.5 million, but never apparently paid that full amount.

The indictment notes Hastert was a high school teacher and coach from 1965 to 1981 in suburban Yorkville, about 50 miles west of Chicago. While the indictment says Individual A has been a resident of Yorkville and has known Hastert most of his life, it doesn't describe their relationship.
View gallery
File photo of U.S. House of Representatives Speaker*…
U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) leaves the Committee on Standards of Off …

The indictment says that between 2010 and 2012 Hastert made fifteen $50,000 withdrawals of cash from bank accounts at Old Second Bank, People's State Bank and Castle Bank and gave cash to Individual A around every six weeks.

Around April 2012, bank officials began questioning Hastert about the large withdrawals, and starting in July of that year, Hastert reduced the amounts he withdrew at a time to less than $10,000 —apparently so they would not run afoul of a regulation designed to stop illicit activity such as money laundering , according to the indictment.

Among the focuses of the FBI investigation was whether Hastert, in the words of the indictment, was "the victim of a criminal extortion related to, among other matters, his prior positions in government." The court document does not elaborate.

Investigators questioned Hastert on Dec. 8, 2014 and he lied about why he had been withdrawing so much money at a time. He told investigators he did it because he didn't trust the banking system, the indictment alleges.
View gallery
In this March 5, 2008, file photo, former U.S. House*…
In this March 5, 2008, file photo, former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert speaks to lawmakers on t …

"Yeah ... I kept the cash. That's what I am doing," it quotes Hastert as saying.

Hastert was a little known lawmaker from suburban Chicago when chosen to succeed conservative Newt Gingrich as speaker. Hastert was picked after favored Louisiana Congressman Bob Livingston resigned following his admission of several sexual affairs.

As speaker, Hastert pushed President George W. Bush's legislative agenda, helping pass a massive tax cut and expanding Medicare prescription drug benefits.

He retired from Congress in 2007 after eight years as speaker, making him the longest-serving Republican House speaker.

Taking bets on why he was paying hush money...

I'm thinking little boy fetish.

sparebulb
05-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Bingo.

Another mainstream GOP closeted butt-pounding child molester.

This is becoming a defining feature of establishment Republicans.

donnay
05-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Yep...another pervert. SMDH.

jllundqu
05-29-2015, 11:04 AM
It does not reveal the “misconduct” that Hastert was trying to conceal. The recipient of the money was a resident of Yorkville, Illinois, where Hastert taught high school and coached wrestling from 1965 to 1981.

From NYT

Told ya! lol..... SMDH2

donnay
05-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Wayne Madsen is on Alex Jones now. He had been reporting about Hastert for years. Madsen just said, "the GOP stands for Gray Old Perverts." LOL!

Wayne Madsen Reports (archives)
http://www.waynemadsenreport.com/search?searchtext=Dennis+Hastert

donnay
05-29-2015, 02:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sTATEdszI

Flashback: Investigative Journalist Broke Ex-Speaker Hastert Blackmail Sex Scandal in 2006
http://www.infowars.com/flashback-investigative-journalist-broke-ex-speaker-hastert-blackmail-sex-scandal-in-2006/

timosman
10-20-2015, 01:47 AM
https://www.corbettreport.com/hastert-reaches-plea-deal-to-cover-up-case/

In a move that should surprise absolutely no one, disgraced former House Speaker Dennis Hastert has reached a plea deal to keep the details of his case sealed for good. Given that prosecutors wanted the details under wraps and the Judge donated to Hastert’s campaigns on multiple occasions, was there any doubt this would happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a31o6AfjJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYghddSrXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urz-79upuLg

vita3
10-20-2015, 05:50 AM
Looks likes Sibel Edmonds was telling the truth.

jmdrake
10-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Yeah. Glad he's going down. But isn't it a bit concerning that he's being prosecuted not for paying the hush money, which is legal, but how he withdrew the money from his account?

vita3
10-20-2015, 07:05 AM
Yea, jdrake it's Prearranged "friendly" punishment.

This guy was speaker of House during 911 & after. Also a traitor selling our Country out to Turkey.

Chester Copperpot
10-20-2015, 09:17 AM
A guy I knew told me he didn't support Dr. Paul, because whenever he mentioned Ending the Fed, he thought Dr. Paul meant the fedgov. Would not be surprised if that misinterpretation was widespread.

eta: he was extremely political, so it surprised me. He didn't consume alternative media though.

this is why I always spell it out "Federal Reserve"... lot of people are like "whats that?".... THey use "fed" on purpose.. most think it means federal govt

jmdrake
10-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Looks likes Sibel Edmonds was telling the truth.

Yea, jdrake it's Prearranged "friendly" punishment.

This guy was speaker of House during 911 & after. Also a traitor selling our Country out to Turkey.

Soo....Hastert was being blackmailed by Turkey?

timosman
10-20-2015, 09:40 AM
this is why I always spell it out "Federal Reserve"... lot of people are like "whats that?".... THey use "fed" on purpose.. most think it means federal govt

that's a very good point. 'Federal Reserve' is as federal as 'Federal Express'

timosman
10-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Soo....Hastert was being blackmailed by Turkey?

lol, possibly among others. What's really scary is the amount of information FBI is sitting on waiting to be used when convenient. Stalin is crying in shame.

Zippyjuan
10-20-2015, 10:53 AM
House Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, reported a net worth ranging from about $2 million to $6 million in 2010, much of it in blue-chip stocks. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., reported a net worth of at least $3.35 million. Not bad for someone working in the packaging and plastics industry before Congress (John Boehner), and a private practice attorney (Harry Reid).

For comparison, Rand Paul is worth about $2.5 million http://celebnetwealth.com/rand-paul-net-worth-as-a-politician/
Ron Paul is worth about $5 million. http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-politicians/ron-paul-net-worth/

vita3
10-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Hastert lobbied for Turkey after Congress & Turkey had a translator boss in on 9/11 select info @ FBI HQ, where Sibel worked.

vita3
10-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Philip Giraldi ex CIA just wrote a good article about this in American Conservative, can someone please link?

timosman
10-21-2015, 12:13 AM
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/how-a-plea-deal-for-hastert-may-hide-the-truth/

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/dennis-hastert-554x412.jpg

As former House Speaker Dennis Hastert prepares to plead guilty in accordance with a deal he has made with federal prosecutors, most media will focus on the crimes the FBI mentioned in his indictment. Since Hastert was charged in May, the public has been shocked to learn that the former high-school wrestling coach allegedly spent large sums trying to cover up past sexual abuse. But one prominent whistleblower has been speaking up about the possible misdeeds of Hastert for years now—and the way that they may have compromised national security.

Longtime readers of The American Conservative are familiar with the Sibel Edmonds saga. Edmonds, an FBI translator who revealed large-scale corruption throughout the government, has received multiple gag orders under the State Secrets Act. She has nevertheless persevered in spite of concerns that she would be prosecuted and possibly imprisoned. TAC interviewed her for a feature article in 2009, and I also reviewed her claims multiple times over the last few years, including when her book Classified Woman came out in 2012.

Many of Edmonds’s claims involved Turkish and Israeli front groups seeking to influence U.S. policy while sometimes also engaging in illegal activity. The scope of the corruption allegedly involved bribery of senior government officials and congressmen, arranging for export licenses to countries that were embargoed, and the exposure of classified information. Edmonds has been questioned by a congressional committee, by individual congressmen and staffers, as well as by the FBI inspector general, and her information was found to be “credible,” “serious,” and “warrant[ing] a thorough and careful review.” She also provided interviews for “60 Minutes” and Vanity Fair, both of which were able to confirm key elements of her story.

Some critics have opined that Edmonds overstates or misinterprets what she claims to know, but there is no reason to doubt her veracity when she describes documents and investigative files that she personally handled during her time with the bureau. No one has challenged her accounts of the investigations that were underway at that time. She has been gagged by the Justice Department precisely because the information she revealed is damaging to certain political and purported national-security interests.

In the course of her various media appearances, Edmonds provided significant information on Congressman Hastert, who was under FBI investigation while he was speaker of the House, a role he assumed in 1999 and held for eight years. In her TAC interview, Edmonds related that “In early 1997, because of the information that the FBI was getting on the Turkish diplomatic community, the Justice Department had already started to investigate several Republican congressmen. The number-one congressman involved with the Turkish community, both in terms of providing information and doing favors, was Bob Livingston. Number-two after him was Dan Burton, and then he became number-one until Hastert became the speaker of the House. Bill Clinton’s attorney general, Janet Reno, was briefed on the investigations, and since they were Republicans, she authorized that they be continued… In 1999, [FBI agents in the Chicago field office] wiretapped the congressmen directly.”

In a deposition given in August 2009, Edmonds identified Hastert as “one of the primary U.S. persons involved in operations and activities that are not legal, and they’re not for the interest of the United States but for the interest of foreign governments and foreign entities.” She detailed what she believed to be Hastert’s wrongdoing: “This information has been public. The concerns, again would be several categories. The acceptance of large sums of bribery in forms of cash or laundered cash and laundering is to make it look legal for his campaigns, and also for his personal use, in order to do certain favors and call certain—call for certain actions, make certain things happen for foreign entities and foreign governments’ interests, Turkish government’s interest and Turkish business entities’ interests.”

When asked in the deposition, “Did you have reason to believe that Mr. Hastert, for example, killed one of the Armenian genocide resolutions in exchange for money from these Turkish organizations?” she responded, “Yes, I do… Correct… and not only taking money, but other activities, too, including being blackmailed for various reasons.” At the time of the deposition Hastert had left Congress and was working for the Washington lobbying firm Dickstein Shapiro as a registered lobbyist for Turkey, reportedly earning millions of dollars in commissions.

Edmonds described her work on Turkish-language transcripts of investigations relating to Hastert covering the period 1996 until January 2003, elaborating on the possibility of blackmail. She recalled that Hastert “used the townhouse [in Chicago] that was not his residence for certain not very morally accepted activities. Now, whether that was being used as blackmail I don’t know, but the fact that foreign entities [Turkey and Israel] knew about this, in fact, they sometimes participated in some of those not maybe morally well activities in that particular townhouse that was supposed to be an office, not a house, residence at certain hours, certain days, evenings of the week. So I can’t say if that was used as blackmail or not, but certain activities they would share. They were known.”

In testimony before congressional staffers and committees, Edmonds has reported hearing Turkish wiretap targets boast of their secret relationship with a “Hastert.” They discussed giving him tens of thousands of dollars in clandestine payments in exchange for political favors and information. Many of the transcripts involved a suspect at the city’s Turkish Consulate, as well as several members of the American-Turkish Council and the Assembly of Turkish American Associations, business entities that some FBI agents believed served as occasional covers for organized crime. Some calls appeared to be referring to drug shipments and other possible crimes.

One important contact was repeatedly referred to by Turkish callers under the nickname “Denny boy,” later identified as Hastert. The wiretaps revealed that tens of thousands of dollars were paid to Hastert’s campaign fund in small checks because donations of less than $200 need not be itemized in public filings.

Vanity Fair did its own due diligence in covering Edmonds’s claims, and the magazine’s David Rose wrote:

Hastert himself was never heard in the recordings, Edmonds told investigators, and it is possible that the claims of covert payments were hollow boasts. Nevertheless, an examination of Hastert’s federal filings shows that the level of un-itemized payments his campaigns received over many years was relatively high. Between April 1996 and December 2002, un-itemized personal donations to the Hastert for Congress Committee amounted to $483,000.

Edmonds noted that the phone taps contained repeated references to Hastert’s volte face in the fall of 2000 over the campaign to have Congress designate the killings of Armenians in Turkey between 1915 and 1923 a genocide. In August 2000, Speaker Hastert declared that he would support the resolution and send it to the full House for a vote. The resolution, vehemently opposed by the Turks, did indeed pass in the International Relations Committee by a large majority. Then, on October 19, shortly before a full House vote, Hastert withdrew it.

Hastert explained his switch as being based on a letter he had supposedly received from President Clinton arguing that the resolution, if passed, would be damaging to U.S. interests. It is not known if a payoff ever occurred but, per Edmonds, a senior official at the Turkish Consulate indicated in one recorded conversation that the price for convincing Hastert to withdraw the genocide resolution would be at least $500,000.

Fast forward to the Dennis Hastert case making the rounds today, which focuses on relatively minor federal banking laws and ignores the other evidence that has been collected by the FBI on Hastert for the past 20 years. One has to ask, “Why Hastert and why now?”, but there does not seem to be a simple answer. It might be little more than the result of frustrated FBI investigators demanding that some action be taken.

Edmonds, for her part, has described how the Hastert case has been ignored by the media and has predicted that it would eventually be made to go away by the government. Indeed, legal action following up on the original indictment has been delayed through postponement after postponement and more recently sidetracked into a plea bargain that will allow the former congressman to plead guilty to reduced charges while at the same time sealing forever the unsavory details linked to his being blackmailed.

Hastert and his lawyers understand that they are well placed to effectively threaten the government prosecutors because Hastert knows where a lot of bodies are buried, metaphorically speaking. By demanding that the investigative files on him—which could include reports of illegal activity by a broad range of former officials—be released as part of his defense, he can force the government to drop or mitigate the charges against him. It is a ploy similar to that used by alleged AIPAC spies Steven Rosen and Keith Weissman in 2009, which led to the presiding judge’s dismissal of the case.

Glenn Greenwald writes that “Those with political and financial clout are routinely allowed to break the law with no legal repercussions whatsoever. Often they need not even exploit their access to superior lawyers because they don’t see the inside of a courtroom in the first place—not even when they get caught in the most egregious criminality.” There is a particular irony here: criminals in high office may avoid punishment through their willingness to implicate their peers who are engaged in much the same practices, in effect blackmailing the government to leave them alone or face the consequences. That is what the Dennis Hastert story appears to be all about.

Philip Giraldi, a former CIA officer, is executive director of the Council for the National Interest.

vita3
10-21-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks for link!

We need to share & discuss & succeed in getting new speaker who is not controlled by Foreign powers.

timosman
10-21-2015, 07:39 AM
We need to share & discuss & succeed in getting new speaker who is not controlled by Foreign powers.

I am not sure we can find anybody able to satisfy your outrageous demands. /sarcasm

vita3
10-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Change that attitude Tim.

Ronin Truth
10-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Has the job of Speaker become a kiss of death, except for Nancy? :eek: :p