PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul wins a ZOGBY POLL ?? (well, sorta...)

GunnyFreedom
12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
I discovered the article below at Zogby.com

It makes an interesting read, but I want to point out a specific point made by the author. Apparently, in a "blind" poll (using the candidates resume and history without mentioning their names) amongst only registered Republican likely primary voters, Guiliani leads the pack with 34%, and Ron Paul coming in last with with 13%.

BUT, amongst all voters regardless of stripe or likelihood, Ron Paul's bio is on top with 33%, Guiliani at 15% and Fred Thompson last at 13%.

Now, I do not place much stock in polls. Really I don't. What this poll DOES do, is provide ammunition for the answer to the question "we need Guiliani because only he can defeat Clinton." Clearly, as we can see according to Zogby, Ron Paul has an order or magnitude more support in the general, than he does in the primary.

So *which* candidate will be more competitive against the Democrats? Clearly, that is Ron Paul. At least, according to Zogby!

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1391

Released: November 20, 2007

Zogby Poll: Giuliani Leads Among Republicans in Latest Blind Bio Survey

Survey pits resumes of former New York mayor against those of Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, and Fred Thompson

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, long the favorite in nationwide samples of likely Republican voters in the 2008 race for the party's presidential nomination, has the strongest resume of four top contenders, a new Zogby International survey shows.

The telephone survey, known as a “blind bio” poll because likely voters are given details of the candidates’ resumes without their names attached, shows Giuliani wins 34% support, compared to 22% each for Thompson and Romney. Ron Paul, who has surged recently in polls and has a significant online following, came in last with 13% support, while 9% said they were undecided on the question.

Only those four candidates were included in the question, which was commissioned by Jones Productions, a media company based in Austin, Texas. The survey included 389 likely Republican primary or caucus voters and was conducted Nov. 14–17, 2007. It carries a margin of error of +/– 5.1 percentage points.

The blind bio question was also posed to a larger pool of 1,009 likely voters nationwide, including Democrats and independents, and Paul was the big winner among that universe of voters, winning 33%, compared to 19% for Giuliani, 15% for Romney, and 13% for Thompson.
The results of the of the likely Republican primary voters can be found here:

http://www.zogby.com/x-Zogby Special Jones Productions 11-20-2007.pdf

For a complete methodological statement, please visit:
http://www.zogby.com/methodology/readmeth.dbm?ID=1235
(11/20/2007)

Wendi
12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I'd like to see the "resume" they used for the "blind" poll.

I've seen "blind" polls written in such a way that 80% or more of people taking it would choose Hitler.

kimosabi
12-05-2007, 09:02 AM
This Poll was paid for by Alex Jones to see if we could get a fair Poll but they still spun it...

jmdrake
12-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd like to see the "resume" they used for the "blind" poll.

I've seen "blind" polls written in such a way that 80% or more of people taking it would choose Hitler.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/november2007/191107_zogby_poll.htm
Candidate A is a 10-term US Congressman from a large Southern state who is an advocate for a smaller government and individual liberty. This candidate believes in strictly following the Constitution and has never voted to raise taxes. He has never voted in favor of the war in Iraq or the Patriot Act, and wants to bring troops home as soon as possible. As a former doctor, this candidate has delivered more than 4,000 babies. One of this candidate's goals is to return America to the gold standard, and he believes that the current monetary policy needs to be drastically overhauled because of the dollar's decline.

Candidate B is a former governor from a Democratic state in the Northeast. Before that, he was credited for essentially saving the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. He is a Mormon and family man who is considered a moderate-to-conservative member of the GOP. While Governor, he signed the first state laws in the nation requiring all citizens of this state to obtain health insurance. He is a strong supporter of keeping troops in Iraq although he has been critical of how the war has been handled.

Candidate C is a former two-term senator from a Southern state who was a long-time lobbyist before running for public office. He was chief Republican council for the Congressional committee that investigated Watergate in the early 1970s. He was an actor playing supporting roles in several major motion pictures before entering the Senate, and returned to a prominent role as a New York City prosecutor in a popular network television series after leaving office. He has mostly supported the war in Iraq, but has said he would have managed it differently.

Candidate D is a former two-term mayor of a major city in the Northeast, and is considered a moderate member of the party on social issues. As Mayor, he presided over a dramatic drop in crime in his city, and is best known for his leadership in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. He established a worldwide security consulting business after leaving public office at the end of 2001 He has been a supporter of President Bush since leaving office and supports the war in Iraq.

Note, I don't think the bio is really that "blind". Anybody should be able to figure out that a "mayor...know for his leadership in the aftermath of 9/11" is Giuliani. A governor that's a "Mormon" and presided over the "Salt Lake City" Olympics identifies Romney. And of course "actor" represents Fred Thompson.

Personally I'd prefer a truly "blind" poll that didn't give as much info about the people you're talking about. Maybe one that just listed the issue? Of course that might mean leaving out the fact that Dr. Paul is an obstetrician. But then most people don't know that so that might not give away who you're talking about.

Regards,

John M. Drake