PDA

View Full Version : TPP is probably the most secretive legislation in Congressional history

devil21
05-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Comments from various congresscritters about the secrecy around TPP. It's actually "highly classified" material and treated as such.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/21/tpp-secrecy_n_7417116.html

The pair noted that although legislators are allowed to look at the text of the TPP in a secure room, they are only allowed to do so under restrictions that make it nearly impossible to understand what they are reading.

First, they can't bring expert staffers with them unless they have the right clearances, and the aides who have expertise in various relevant areas -- for instance on the impacts on the environment or labor law -- generally are not cleared.

Second, lawmakers can't record anything, or take any notes from the room.

"They'll give you a piece of paper if you want to take notes, but then you have to give them back the piece of paper," Warren said.

The legislators can't talk to anyone about what they've read, either.

"We are unable to take any notes or consider what we just saw unless we have a photographic memory and, unfortunately, I do not," Manchin said. "I've tried to remember and look at things I knew I was looking for, but still it's almost impossible to walk out of there having the ability to sit down and evaluate what you just saw." more at link

presence
05-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Really? We put up with this shit?

Occam's Banana
05-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Really? We put up with this shit?

'Murica! *burp* How 'bout dem Bears? ...

puppetmaster
05-22-2015, 07:56 PM
For your own good....

Occam's Banana
05-22-2015, 08:23 PM
TPP is probably the most secretive legislation in Congressional history
No, the most secretive legislation in Congressional history was ████████████████████████.

devil21
05-22-2015, 09:00 PM
There's gotta be some seriously fucked up stuff in this 'trade agreement' if it's being kept under literally classified material security measures.

Fast Track passed the Senate today.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/22/breaking-senate-grants-cloture-to-fast-track-trade-authority-bill/

If it passes the House, does it give Obama the unilateral power to approve the UN Small Arms Treaty?

Warlord
05-23-2015, 09:20 AM
If it passes the House, does it give Obama the unilateral power to approve the UN Small Arms Treaty?

That's a good point... In theory I dont see why not

muh_roads
05-23-2015, 10:03 AM
I bet the SOPA/PIPA stuff is buried in there. New international laws that allow corporations to go after anyone in the world "legally".

Ronin Truth
05-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Ho-hum, probably just selling out America ................. AGAIN. <boring> :p

oyarde
05-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Yep , I agree , must be some pretty bad stuff in it .