PDA

View Full Version : Kerry: Internet Needs Stronger Regulation To ‘flourish And Work Properly’

Suzanimal
05-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Secretary of State John Kerry said that the Internet needs heavier regulations to “be able to flourish and work properly during a speech on cyber security and international cooperation in South Korea on Monday.”

The Internet could not reach its potential without strict government regulation, Kerry insisted, which is necessary for a “technology founded on freedom.”

Touting the Obama administration’s new policy on the Internet, he claimed that government could better respond to threats of cyber attacks with the additional regulation.

Kerry outlined and “five principles” were that he thinks are “universal concepts” necessary to protect the world’s Internet.

First, no country should conduct or knowingly support online activity that intentionally damages or impedes the use of another country’s critical infrastructure. Second, no country should seek either to prevent emergency teams from responding to a cyber security incident, or allow its own teams to cause harm. Third, no country should conduct or support cyber-enabled theft of intellectual property, trade secrets, or other confidential business information for commercial gain. Fourth, every country should mitigate malicious cyber activity emanating from its soil, and they should do so in a transparent, accountable and cooperative way. And fifth, every country should do what it can to help states that are victimized by a cyber attack. Kerry said that even with the adaptation of the principles, government would still need even more regulation of the internet.

There would still be more work to do to “develop a truly reliable framework—based on international law—that will effectively deter violations and minimize the danger of conflict,” he said.

He also claimed that the world had to come together to regulate commerce on the Internet to stop “organized crime in cyberspace.”
“As we know, malicious governments are only part of the cyber security problem,” Kerry concluded.

Read more at http://dailysurge.com/2015/05/kerry-internet-needs-stronger-regulation-to-flourish-and-work-properly/

stuntman stoll
05-21-2015, 07:35 AM
Seems to me the internet is working fine. I thought something had to be broken before the government "fixes" it ("never let a crises go to waste").

How 'bout this idea. The govt can set up its own internet protocol, separate from the free/voluntary one, using only donations or private investments (no stolen money). Don't mess with the free internet and let people choose.

acptulsa
05-21-2015, 07:42 AM
The Internet could not reach its potential without strict government regulation, Kerry insisted, which is necessary for a “technology founded on freedom.”

How could anyone be stupid enough to believe that the internet reaching its full potential to serve Kerry would mean the internet had reached its full potential to serve them?

euphemia
05-21-2015, 08:00 AM
The government doesn't seem to be able to manage the internet use of its own employees on the job. If they want to regulate that, I guess they can, and probably should. Start with Lois and Hillary.

Occam's Banana
05-21-2015, 08:39 AM

The stupid, it burns.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ykl45x.jpg

Occam's Banana
05-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Seems to me the internet is working fine. I thought something had to be broken before the government "fixes" it

US Government Philosophy: "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."

Ronin Truth
05-21-2015, 11:16 AM
According to what specific and explicit desirable standard?