PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee will be skipping Iowa Straw Poll

hillertexas
05-21-2015, 06:48 AM
2016 hopeful Mike Huckabee announced on Fox & Friends Thursday morning he intends to skip the Iowa Straw Poll, becoming the second GOP candidate-type to do so.

But Huckabee’s decision is far more surprising than that of Jeb Bush, a so-called moderate who routinely polls fifth in the state. Huckabee, a religious conservative, won the Iowa caucus in 2008 and is likely pinning the momentum of his campaign on a repeat.

To do so he intends to marshall all his resources on the caucus, not some stupid straw thing. “It’s been a great political theater,” he said. “But every candidate ultimately has to decide how to use resources and the goal is not to win a straw poll which doesn’t mean anything.”

Huckabee also worried the poll could divide the conservatives in the field. “I just don’t want to see conservatives split up, get into a deep fight, and make a way for someone to come around the edge from the middle and take out a conservative,” he said “That’s not the best way for us to win the election.”

Huckabee pointed out that Michele Bachmann won the dealie in 2012 only to finish sixth in Iowa. Huckabee placed second in Iowa in 2008.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/huckabee-skipping-meaningless-iowa-straw-poll-just-political-theater/

robertwerden
05-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Rand should do it. With all these big names skipping, it will show he cares about the Iowa Republican party. Iowans will look favorably on that.

William Tell
05-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Wow, in other words Huckabee feels he doesn't have much clout in Iowa anymore. He thinks the results are more likely to hurt than help.

philipped
05-21-2015, 08:35 AM
If Rand wants 1st in Iowa he'll compete here, especially now that Bush and Huckabee aren't going to be.

specsaregood
05-21-2015, 08:40 AM
./

William Tell
05-21-2015, 08:53 AM
If Rand wants 1st in Iowa he'll compete here, especially now that Bush and Huckabee aren't going to be.
Assuming all the other candidates don't decide to skip it. As I posted yesterday, Rick Perry and Ted Cruz have not committed to attending the straw poll. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?475097-Cruz-and-Perry-Noncommittal-as-Iowa-Straw-Poll-Talk-Heats-Up

It may be that they all realize Rand will crush them, and they don't see any benefit in attending. Someone like Fiorina would have nothing to lose by attending though. It could be a big break.

Occam's Banana
05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
The Establishment got burned when Ron Paul nearly won the Iowa Straw Poll. If that had not happened, I have no doubt that we'd be still be hearing all the Establishment candidates and pundits yapping about how important the IASP is, if only as an indicator of organizational strength.

But the Establishment can't tolerate the risk of being shown up, and the word has gone out: the IASP (or any other venue they cannot manage or control) has to be dissed, downplayed and relegated to irrelevance ...

William Tell
05-21-2015, 09:05 AM
The Establishment got burned when Ron Paul nearly won the Iowa Straw Poll. If that had not happened, I have no doubt that we'd be still be hearing all the Establishment candidates and pundits yapping about how important the IASP is, if only as an indicator of organizational strength.

But the Establishment can't tolerate the risk of being shown up, and the word has gone out: the IASP (or any other venue they cannot manage or control) has to be dissed, downplayed and relegated to irrelevance ...
Yup. And Rand won the CPAC straw poll the last 3 years. They know he can pull this off.

r3volution 3.0
05-21-2015, 01:49 PM
^^^Indeed

It's like how the Iowa caucus (nevermind the straw poll) suddenly became unimportant in the final weeks, when it looked like Ron would win.

With just Huckabee and Bush out, it doesn't change anything.

But ithey can get most of the serious candidates to abstain, that will indeed make it a self-fulfilling prophecy and people will discount the results.
'
But it will also greatly reduce the cost to winning.

So let's just win anyway.

TaftFan
05-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Wow, in other words Huckabee feels he doesn't have much clout in Iowa anymore. He thinks the results are more likely to hurt than help.

No, he just sees the straw poll as the sham it is.

Remember how Ron Paul would win straw polls and finish like fourth in these states?

euphemia
05-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Huckabee should just get out while he can. He thinks he can win on the evangelical vote, and that demonstrates a mindset that is very out of touch. The profile of the evangelical has changed radically since he last ran. One Lord, one faith, on baptism, and limited government. Seriously. It is hard to find a believer that is what I call "brand loyal." They will change churches at the drop of a hat, and can't be depended on to even commit to a small group for more than 12 weeks. It is now more urban and ministry-oriented on a personal level. Large megachurches are on the decline as people look to be more personally involved in ministry rather than support a huge campus.

William Tell
05-21-2015, 04:00 PM
No, he just sees the straw poll as the sham it is. Remember how Ron Paul would win straw polls and finish like fourth in these states? I disagree, sure, winning a straw poll doesn't mean you will win the state. However, it boosts morale and gets you tons of media. Remember how Drudge featured Rand for days after winning CPAC each time? If Huckabee honestly thought he could win it he would compete. Of course, pinning your entire campaign on it like Pawlenty did is absolutely insane.

TaftFan
05-21-2015, 06:31 PM
I disagree, sure, winning a straw poll doesn't mean you will win the state. However, it boosts morale and gets you tons of media. Remember how Drudge featured Rand for days after winning CPAC each time? If Huckabee honestly thought he could win it he would compete. Of course, pinning your entire campaign on it like Pawlenty did is absolutely insane.

I am not sure anybody will attend it this year.

William Tell
05-21-2015, 08:26 PM
I am not sure anybody will attend it this year.

Yeah, that's a possibility, if no other major candidate commits then there's not point in Rand going for that matter. Except to connect with party members.

FreedomProsperityPeace
05-21-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm glad Jeb and Huckster are out. It just displays their arrogance and disregard for Iowa voters IMO. If I was an Iowan, I would expect every candidate to work hard for my vote. Sloughing off a traditional event like the straw poll, it's like they think they can phone it in and still win. That doesn't bode well for a man who wants to be president. That job takes hard work, and winning it should require hard work.