PDA

View Full Version : Outside Independence Hall, Rand Paul Calls On Obama To End NSA Program

jct74
05-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Outside Independence Hall, Rand Paul Calls On Obama To End NSA Program

by Alex Pappas
1:30 PM 05/18/2015

PHILADELPHIA — Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul traveled to the birthplace of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution on Monday to call on President Obama to end the NSA’s program that collects bulk phone record data of American citizens.

“Here in front of Independence Hall, I call for the president to obey the law,” the Kentucky senator said in an afternoon press conference, surrounded by supporters with campaign signs. “The court said last week that it is illegal to collect all of your phone records, all of the time, without a warrant with your name on it. I call on the president today to immediately end the bulk collection of our phone records.”

On the Independence Mall at the corner of 5th and Market Streets, Paul railed against the NSA’s program: “I don’t know anyone named Mr. Verizon. That is not a valid warrant. That is a general warrant. And that’s what we fought the revolution over. Our Founding Fathers would be appalled to know that we are writing one single warrant and collecting everyone’s phone records all the time.”

Asked whether he will filibuster the upcoming vote on the extension of the Patriot Act, which the NSA uses to carry out the bulk collection program, Paul replied: “I will do everything possible. The rules are tricky in the Senate, so I don’t know what I can promise. But we will do everything possible, including filibustering the Patriot Act, to stop that.”

read more:
http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/18/outside-independence-hall-rand-paul-calls-on-obama-to-end-nsa-program/