PDA

View Full Version : Why did Massie vote for sanctions on Lebanon?

Non-interventionist
05-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Both Amash and Massie voted for sanctions on Lebanon by voting for Hezbollah International Financing Prevention Act of 2014 which is an act of war against the nation of Lebanon. I get amash since he has a record of voting for sanctions on Iran and also Syria and has also voted for various other resolutions condemning various countries he doesn't like. But Massie was supposed to be our home grown man and his record has been good on foreign policy up to now even when it was controversial like the palestine issue.

Now before you say "oh well thats because hezbollah are terrorists"...you may think that, but when have they ever actually attacked the united states? Never. they are the enemy of another nation in that area and evidently that nation is not happy and is using their lobbying power to influence the U.S. into making decisions that have nothing to do with AMERICAN national security.

As for the terrorist allegation they are fighting Al Qaeda and ISIS in syria. They are the boots on the ground instead of american boots on the ground, they are fighting our war for us against the people who want to attack us. That just makes it so much weirder US congressmen are pushing this legislation right now just when hezbollahs interests are so closely aligned with ours.

As i said this is an act of war against the nation of Lebanon. I say this because Hezbollah is a legitimate political party in Lebanon with 12 seats in their parliament. They are also part of the Lebanese government, the cabinet has 2 ministers from Hezbollah. The Agriculture secretary is one of them. What would the U.S. do if say Russia put sanctions on our Agriculture secretary? Russia already put sanctions on several US officials and the US treated it as hostile. So this is a disgusting double standard. Epsecially when one of our own who was supposed to be the next ron paul is behind this. Ron Paul would have voted a big fat NO on this and been the only one in the House to do so

Is Massie worried about a primary challenger or what. I dont know what is going on.

kcchiefs6465
05-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Why don't you ask him? From what I understand he often responds to Facebook inquiries.

Posting a link to the roll call and the text of the bill would be appreciated as well.

tsai3904
05-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Roll call:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2015/roll227.xml

Summary:

H.R. 2297 requires the Secretary of State to brief Congress, within 30 days of enactment and annually thereafter, on the activities of satellite, broadcast, Internet, and other providers that knowingly provide material support—including broadcasting—to Al-Manar, the official TV station of Hezbollah. Al-Manar has already been sanctioned by the U.S. In the briefings, the Secretary must identify the providers that have been sanctioned accordingly under Executive Order 13224,[1] as well as those who have not been sanctioned, and justify why sanctions have not been imposed.

H.R. 2297 also requires the Secretary of the Treasury to prohibit or impose strict conditions on U.S. correspondent banking for foreign financial institutions that engage in certain financial transactions.[2]

The bill further requires the President to submit a report to Congress, within 120 days of enactment, determining whether Hezbollah meets the criteria under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act;[3] and if not, which criteria have not been met. H.R. 2297 also requires the President to submit to Congress, within the same timeframe, a report including a determination as to whether Hezbollah meets the criteria for a “transnational criminal organization” as set forth in Executive Order 13581.[4]

The legislation also requires the Secretary of State to submit a report, within 90 days of enactment, detailing actions taken by the Department of State through its rewards programs to obtain information on fundraising, financing, and money laundering activities of Hezbollah. The bill also requires an annual briefing to Congress on the status of such actions.

Further, H.R. 2297 requires the President to submit to Congress, within 90 days of enactment, a report listing 1) the countries that support Hezbollah, or in which Hezbollah maintains important portions of its global logistics networks; and 2) a list of countries in which Hezbollah or any of its affiliates conduct significant fundraising, financing, or money laundering activities. The bill also requires the Administration to provide ongoing briefings to Congress on Hezbollah’s assets and activities related to fundraising, financing, and money laundering worldwide.

Finally, H.R. 2297 provides for the bill’s termination within 30 days if the President certifies that Hezbollah is no longer designated as a foreign terrorist organization and poses no significant threat to the U.S. or our allies.

http://gop.gov/bill/h-r-2297-hezbollah-international-financing-prevention-act-of-2015/

Text:
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/gpoxmlc114/h2297_eh.xml

Matt Collins
05-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Amash posts on his FB page his reasons for voting every bill. Has he posted anything about this yet?

William Tell
05-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Amash posts on his FB page his reasons for voting every bill. Has he posted anything about this yet?

OP is talking about a 2014 vote, no idea why he is bringing it up now.

Non-interventionist
05-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Look at the roll call tsai posted.

I cannot post links - I think because I am a guest.

i can't find anything on Amash's facebook page. In fact I cant find vote explanations since the KXL bill in january. but I'm more interested to hear Massie since Amash is not pure on this anyway.

Non-interventionist
05-21-2015, 12:21 AM
Why don't you ask him? From what I understand he often responds to Facebook inquiries.

Posting a link to the roll call and the text of the bill would be appreciated as well.

I asked him on facebook and he ignored me

Non-interventionist
05-21-2015, 12:24 AM
OP is talking about a 2014 vote, no idea why he is bringing it up now.

There was one vote then and one vote very recently as well for 2015. Both unanimous.

Free Radical
07-13-2015, 01:46 AM
Because the regime told him to.

osan
07-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Both Amash and Massie voted for sanctions on Lebanon by voting for Hezbollah International Financing Prevention Act of 2014 which is an act of war against the nation of Lebanon. I get amash since he has a record of voting for sanctions on Iran and also Syria and has also voted for various other resolutions condemning various countries he doesn't like. But Massie was supposed to be our home grown man and his record has been good on foreign policy up to now even when it was controversial like the palestine issue.

Now before you say "oh well thats because hezbollah are terrorists"...you may think that, but when have they ever actually attacked the united states? Never. they are the enemy of another nation in that area and evidently that nation is not happy and is using their lobbying power to influence the U.S. into making decisions that have nothing to do with AMERICAN national security.

As for the terrorist allegation they are fighting Al Qaeda and ISIS in syria. They are the boots on the ground instead of american boots on the ground, they are fighting our war for us against the people who want to attack us. That just makes it so much weirder US congressmen are pushing this legislation right now just when hezbollahs interests are so closely aligned with ours.

As i said this is an act of war against the nation of Lebanon. I say this because Hezbollah is a legitimate political party in Lebanon with 12 seats in their parliament. They are also part of the Lebanese government, the cabinet has 2 ministers from Hezbollah. The Agriculture secretary is one of them. What would the U.S. do if say Russia put sanctions on our Agriculture secretary? Russia already put sanctions on several US officials and the US treated it as hostile. So this is a disgusting double standard. Epsecially when one of our own who was supposed to be the next ron paul is behind this. Ron Paul would have voted a big fat NO on this and been the only one in the House to do so

Is Massie worried about a primary challenger or what. I dont know what is going on.

Well, I've known Thomas a while now. He is very intelligent, smart, and has never given me any indication that he is less than ethical. He is also pragmatic, which one must be in order to survive in a shit hole like DC.

Unless he has taken to the Dark Side, which would trouble me deeply, I might surmise that he may have voted as he did because it is a small issue that may have a really big cost, were he to vote otherwise. This is all just speculation now, so don't take it as anything more than that. If the Israelis want Lebanon spanked, for him to go against that would bring unwanted ire to his door. Let us face it, the Israelis can be a handful on such matters and their displeasure costly. If this measure is going to pass regardless how Thomas votes, vote against would cost him dearly, and to vote "yea" does not constitute a moral crime, well... this may be a case of choosing one's battles with some care. It helps nobody to get yourself killed, so to speak, if the objective is to be effective in the longer run.

Ronin Truth
07-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Perhaps that was his best paying option.

robert68
07-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Well, I've known Thomas a while now. He is very intelligent, smart, and has never given me any indication that he is less than ethical. He is also pragmatic, which one must be in order to survive in a shit hole like DC.

Unless he has taken to the Dark Side, which would trouble me deeply, I might surmise that he may have voted as he did because it is a small issue that may have a really big cost, were he to vote otherwise. This is all just speculation now, so don't take it as anything more than that. If the Israelis want Lebanon spanked, for him to go against that would bring unwanted ire to his door. Let us face it, the Israelis can be a handful on such matters and their displeasure costly. If this measure is going to pass regardless how Thomas votes, vote against would cost him dearly, and to vote "yea" does not constitute a moral crime, well... this may be a case of choosing one's battles with some care. It helps nobody to get yourself killed, so to speak, if the objective is to be effective in the longer run.

He could have not voted like 9 others did.

osan
07-15-2015, 08:25 AM
He could have not voted like 9 others did.

Perhaps, but maybe he bargained for some quid pro quo that would profit "the cause"?

I'm just guessing here. I have no window into the hearts of other men.

Unregistered
07-21-2015, 09:13 PM
I like Hezbollah. It is the only thing standing in the way of Israel once again invading, occupying Southern Lebanon and ultimately annexing it for future settlement expansion, the low sodium water from the Litani River and offshore natural gas deposits. They are also fighting ISIS. If it were up to me, I'd be sending them arms and best wishes.

al-Arabi
08-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Hezbollah is a resistance movement fighting for the freedoms of the Lebanese and Syrian people from the tyranny of the Al Nusra Front, Islamic State, other Takfiri terrorists such as FSA and Jewish State terrorist groups. It is not itself a terrorist group or an Islamic sectarian group. In fact there are several Christian Hezbollah members! There are also non-Twelver Shia members - Alawi, Druse and even Sunni. But the MSM would never tell you that.

By putting sanctions on Hezbollah on the main enemy of ISIS, ISIS benefits. Blowback.

OReich
08-14-2015, 02:42 AM
I like Hezbollah. It is the only thing standing in the way of Israel once again invading, occupying Southern Lebanon and ultimately annexing it for future settlement expansion, the low sodium water from the Litani River and offshore natural gas deposits. They are also fighting ISIS. If it were up to me, I'd be sending them arms and best wishes.

Hezbollah is a resistance movement fighting for the freedoms of the Lebanese and Syrian people from the tyranny of the Al Nusra Front, Islamic State, other Takfiri terrorists such as FSA and Jewish State terrorist groups. It is not itself a terrorist group or an Islamic sectarian group. In fact there are several Christian Hezbollah members! There are also non-Twelver Shia members - Alawi, Druse and even Sunni. But the MSM would never tell you that.

By putting sanctions on Hezbollah on the main enemy of ISIS, ISIS benefits. Blowback.

Hezbollah is trying to destroy Israel and kick out the majority of its population. And al-Arabi, you think they're not "Islamic sectarian"? Maybe by Middle Eastern Muslim standards, sure; anyone not currently beheading a baby must be "non-sectarian" by Islamist standards. According to Hezbollah themselves? Its all Shia Islam, all the time; they pledge their allegiance to the radical Shia government of Iran, which helped found them. Just ask them:

Our Identity

We are often asked: Who are we, the Hizballah, and what is our identity? We are the sons of the umma (Muslim community) - the party of God (Hizb Allah) the vanguard of which was made victorious by God in Iran. There the vanguard succeeded to lay down the bases of a Muslim state which plays a central role in the world. We obey the orders of one leader, wise and just, that of our tutor and faqih (jurist) who fulfills all the necessary conditions: Ruhollah Musawi Khomeini. God save him!

By virtue of the above, we do not constitute an organized and closed party in Lebanon. nor are we a tight political cadre. We are an umma linked to the Muslims of the whole world by the solid doctrinal and religious connection of Islam, whose message God wanted to be fulfilled by the Seal of the Prophets, i.e., Muhammad. This is why whatever touches or strikes the Muslims in Afghanistan, Iraq, the Philippines and elsewhere reverberates throughout the whole Muslim umma of which we are an integral part. Our behavior is dictated to us by legal principles laid down by the light of an overall political conception defined by the leading jurist (wilayat al-faqih).

As for our culture, it is based on the Holy Koran, the Sunna and the legal rulings of the faqih who is our source of imitation (marja' al-taqlid). Our culture is crystal clear. It is not complicated and is accessible to all.

al-Arabi, since when was Sharia law "not Islamic sectarian"? I've never heard of any secular courts declaring women's testimony to be only worth half that of a man's, but according to you, that's not Islamic. Hezbollah says its Islamist, but apparently you don't believe them. I personally think kicking millions of Jews out of Israel would be a very "Islamic sectarian" thing to do, but I guess in the Muslim world that's a uniting theme!

LibertyEagle
08-14-2015, 02:58 AM
Why don't you call his Congressional office, ask for his legislative director and ask him.

al-Arabi
08-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Hezbollah is trying to destroy Israel and kick out the majority of its population. And al-Arabi, you think they're not "Islamic sectarian"? Maybe by Middle Eastern Muslim standards, sure; anyone not currently beheading a baby must be "non-sectarian" by Islamist standards. According to Hezbollah themselves? Its all Shia Islam, all the time; they pledge their allegiance to the radical Shia government of Iran, which helped found them. Just ask them:

Our Identity

We are often asked: Who are we, the Hizballah, and what is our identity? We are the sons of the umma (Muslim community) - the party of God (Hizb Allah) the vanguard of which was made victorious by God in Iran. There the vanguard succeeded to lay down the bases of a Muslim state which plays a central role in the world. We obey the orders of one leader, wise and just, that of our tutor and faqih (jurist) who fulfills all the necessary conditions: Ruhollah Musawi Khomeini. God save him!

By virtue of the above, we do not constitute an organized and closed party in Lebanon. nor are we a tight political cadre. We are an umma linked to the Muslims of the whole world by the solid doctrinal and religious connection of Islam, whose message God wanted to be fulfilled by the Seal of the Prophets, i.e., Muhammad. This is why whatever touches or strikes the Muslims in Afghanistan, Iraq, the Philippines and elsewhere reverberates throughout the whole Muslim umma of which we are an integral part. Our behavior is dictated to us by legal principles laid down by the light of an overall political conception defined by the leading jurist (wilayat al-faqih).

As for our culture, it is based on the Holy Koran, the Sunna and the legal rulings of the faqih who is our source of imitation (marja' al-taqlid). Our culture is crystal clear. It is not complicated and is accessible to all.

al-Arabi, since when was Sharia law "not Islamic sectarian"? I've never heard of any secular courts declaring women's testimony to be only worth half that of a man's, but according to you, that's not Islamic. Hezbollah says its Islamist, but apparently you don't believe them. I personally think kicking millions of Jews out of Israel would be a very "Islamic sectarian" thing to do, but I guess in the Muslim world that's a uniting theme!

Iran is radical? They are fighting IS, they are very close allies with Orthodox Christian Russia and secular Cuba. Jews have a seat within the legislature of Iran. The true Jews, Naturei Karta are regularly invited to the holy republic of Iran. It is you Jewish State supporters and your pet takfiri khawarij in the Islamic State, Taliban and Al Nusra and your Saudi puppets who are the radicals. Notice Hiz'bullah say the Phillippines. Muslims there overwhelmingly are Sunni, yet they are brothers because they fight for justice against the oppression of the American puppet state there just as Hiz'bullah fight the Zionists.

Hiz'bullah have a record of working with Muslims other than Twelver Shia. For example, Assad is an Alawi. In Syria and Lebanon, Hiz'bullah has Druze members and supporters. It also has close ties to Christian militia. Hamas were true Sunni brothers of Hiz'bullah until they were paid to side with the takfiris in Syria by Qatar and al-Saud, however they still maintain good relations. PIJ is a very close ally of Hiz'bullah and is Sunni. Houthi are Zaidi and not Twelver and Hiz'bullah will support them. In the Lebanese cabinet Hiz'bullah is partners with adherents of the Maronite Church, Armenian Apostolic Church, Melkite Greek Catholic Church, Druze Islam and Sunni Islam. In the Zionist cabinet, how many are there? Just Zionist Jews. Israel is a racist nationalist society. It is the Jewish State just like the Islamic State. Do you think kicking millions of Arabs out of Palestine is Jewish sectarian? Insha'allah those kuffar will be punished. Just like their IS brothers.

Sharia is something embraced by all the true Ummah, and it is just and free..it is not sectarian, Ibadi, Sunni, Zaydi, Alawi and Shia all are united with it. Does your law condemn usury? No, it encourages it and that is the heart of the Zionist controlled Federal Reserve. Sharia has been misrepresented by the Zionist lobby because they oppose the resistance.