PDA

View Full Version : Paul opposes granting Obama fast-track trade authority

Brett85
05-11-2015, 09:28 PM
http://www.wmur.com/politics/paul-opposes-granting-obama-fasttrack-trade-authority/32951864

Frustrated by being required to find his way to a private “dungeon” to read the Trans Pacific Partnership agreement, Rand Paul said Monday he is a “no vote” on a provision to allow President Obama to complete the deal on a fast track.

The Republican presidential candidate said in an interview in Manchester he will vote against granting Obama trade promotion authority, which limits Congress to only up or down votes on trade deals. A vote on “TPA” is expected as early as Tuesday on the Senate floor.

The Kentucky senator spent part of the day in New Hampshire before heading back to Washington for a late afternoon vote.

He held a town hall at the Londonderry Lions Club, an event that was at least partially overshadowed by a top New Hampshire staffer licking the camera lens of a pro-Democratic video tracker. The video of David Chesley quickly went viral on social media.

Paul told WMUR.com the Trans Pacific Partnership agreement “is being held under lock and key” by the Obama administration “because they’re afraid that if the public knows what we are going to vote on, that somehow that would destroy the republic.”

Members of Congress must go to office of the U.S. Trade Representative to see a copy of the agreement, but are not allowed to take notes, make copies or bring any members of their staffs.

“I’ve told leadership I’m a ‘no’ vote” on trade promotion authority, Paul said. “I’m hesitant to give blanket authority on stuff we haven’t seen. I’m not saying there wouldn’t be a time I could be for it, if I’d seen the trade agreement, and it’s fine,” Paul said.

“I still might vote for the trade agreement, but I hate giving up power. We give up so much power from Congress to the presidency, and with them being so secretive on the treaty, it just concerns me what’s in the treaty,” he said.

Paul has been a leader in the Senate to do away with the NSA’s power to engage in mass collection of phone data. Last week, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the program “exceeded the scope of what Congress has authorized” in the Patriot Act.

Paul said he hopes the case eventually goes to the U.S. Supreme Court, although that is not certain based on the status of the case. He said it is significant that the appeals court did not rule on the constitutionality of the NSA collection program.

“They ruled it illegal, and that may be lost on people but it’s a big difference,” Paul said. “However, it’s a pretty important ruling to be illegal. The court said the Patriot Act does not authorize this. But I also think the Constitution doesn’t authorize this.”

He said the Fourth Amendment requires specific names to be on warrants, “and you have to have probable cause and a judge has to sign it. So there are a lot of reasons to say this is an overstep by the government.

“But I would end it all,” he said. “On day one if elected president, I would stop the bulk collection. And when people say, ‘How would you stop terrorism?’ I would say, ‘The old-fashioned way. We’d use the Constitution.’”

The ability to “look into everyone’s house and into everyone’s records is antithetical to what our founders wanted,” Paul said.

At the town hall, Paul said Republicans have been equally responsible as Democrats in increasing the national debt.

“We borrow $1 million a minute, and it’s not pretty,” he said. “It’s going to end in calamity if we’re not careful.

Paul also talked about his goal of broadening the GOP.

“You’re going to have other Republicans who are conservative,” he said. “But New Hampshire is a purple state now. Republicans don’t always win. We need somebody who is going to bring new people into the party.

“People who are not just business owners, but the people who work for them,’ he said. “People who are not just part of America’s rich, but people who are poor or black or brown.”

Paul said the United Nations “should not have any power or authority over anything that happens inside the United States.

“I’m not against having some type of international forum where we try to work things out rather than have war,” said Paul. “I’m not against dialogue. I’m just against paying for people to come and attack America and tell us what a terrible country America is.”

On immigration, Paul said, “Let’s figure out a lawful way to do it. Let’s figure out how many immigrants we can absorb each year and let’s do it in as lawful manner. When you get past the politics of it, the only thing that will get us started in doing something about it is we have to have a will in the leader of the country, and we also have to have the laws to enforce the border and have border security.”

kbs021
05-12-2015, 09:54 AM
I believe I agree with the way he is positioning himself. He is the only candidate that is opposing the fast-track. Much of his criticism is for this deal being a secret so far which I feel that most people solidly understand. Could prove useful to position himself as being the toughest on limiting presidential power.

Brian4Liberty
05-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Good!

Inkblots
05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
I agree, Rand's position is both politically advantageous and correct on the merits. This notion of "secret law" is antithetical to a free republic.

Brian4Liberty
05-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Senators Rand Paul and Ron Wyden are both threatening Patriot Act filibusters (https://rare.us/story/senators-rand-paul-and-ron-wyden-are-both-threatening-patriot-act-filibusters/)
Bonnie Kristian - May 12, 2015

Well, this could get interesting: The Washington Times reports that Sen. Rand Paul is seriously considering a filibuster to prevent the reauthorization of key provisions of the Patriot Act which are set to expire in just a few days.

“I’m going to lead the charge in the next couple of weeks as the Patriot Act comes forward,” Paul said. “We will be filibustering. We will be trying to stop it. We are not going to let them run over us. And we are going to demand amendments, and we are going to make sure the American people know that some of us at least are opposed to unlawful searches.”

And Sen. Ron Wyden, a Democrat from Oregon known for his strong support for civil liberties, is on board.

“I’m tired of extending a bad law,” Wyden explained. So if his fellow senators “decide to go with some sort of short-term extension of this flawed law, I intend to filibuster that on the floor of the Senate unless there are major reforms like getting rid of the bulk phone records collection program.”

A bipartisan filibuster would be fantastic. Paul and Wyden have working together on similar issues in the past, so hopefully together they’ll be able to finally shut down the the Patriot Act’s unconstitutional spying provisions once and for all.
http://rare.us/story/senators-rand-paul-and-ron-wyden-are-both-threatening-patriot-act-filibusters/

William Tell
05-12-2015, 10:36 AM
PRESIDENT PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:):):)

HankRicther12
05-12-2015, 12:44 PM
My goodness, how can ANYONE support this, I don't care if you're liberal, conservative, libertarian, anarchist, whatever, how does anyone in their right mind think it's a good idea to give this much power to one man?!?!?!

Brian4Liberty
05-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Paul opposes granting Obama fast-track trade authority

Strange how he just voted "aye" on TPA.

FYI, it was blocked in the Senate, primarily by the Democrats.

NACBA
05-12-2015, 01:06 PM
BREAKING: Senate votes to block advance of TPP Fast Track bill amidst growing opposition to secretive anti-user trade deals.

Brian4Liberty
05-12-2015, 01:18 PM
A lot of partisan bickering about this. The cloture vote was blocked by the Democrats (something the GOP refused to do as the minority), but it will probably come around again. The Democrats are just trying to force more things into this particular bill.

Brett85
05-12-2015, 01:43 PM
BREAKING: Senate votes to block advance of TPP Fast Track bill amidst growing opposition to secretive anti-user trade deals.

I think Rand voted in favor of advancing the bill, but that was merely a procedural vote. I think Rand probably votes with his party on most procedural votes. If it had come up and been debated and actually been voted on, he would've voted against closing the debate and against final passage.

Brett85
05-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Edit: Duplicate post.

65fastback2+2
05-12-2015, 02:25 PM
I think Rand voted in favor of advancing the bill, but that was merely a procedural vote. I think Rand probably votes with his party on most procedural votes. If it had come up and been debated and actually been voted on, he would've voted against closing the debate and against final passage.

this is typically correct...he doesnt want to see stuff blocked and hidden like reid did on over 300 bills. he wants the debate and you cant have that if its hidden stuffed in a pile somewhere.

mello
05-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Quick question

If they both filibuster, do they both have to continuously stand the entire time, or can one sit down or run out to use the bathroom while the other is filibustering?

mello
05-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Edit: (Oops...duplicate post deleted.)

RonPaulMall
05-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Quick question

If they both filibuster, do they both have to continuously stand the entire time, or can one sit down or run out to use the bathroom while the other is filibustering?

They can't "both" filibuster at the same time. Filibustering is just the name we give for when a you ask to be recognized during debate, start talking, and then talk for a really long time with the purpose of holding up a vote. So if Sen Paul ass to be recognized by the Chair and starts taking then he and he alone has the burden of following the rules.

There two ways that they could work together however:

The first is through questions. Sen. Wyden can ask Paul a question, and that question can be hours in length and that can give Paul a rest from talking and allow him to walk about the floor to stretch his legs, but Paul still isn't allowed to sit down or leave else he risks yielding the floor.

And though they can't Filibuster at the same time, they can filibuster concurrently. So once Paul is done with his Filibuster, he can sit down, Sen Wyden can ask to be recognized, and he can repeat the same exact thing that Paul just did.

RonPaulMall
05-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Quick question

They can't "both" filibuster at the same time. Filibustering is just the name we give for when a you ask to be recognized during debate, start talking, and then talk for a really long time with the purpose of holding up a vote. So if Sen Paul ass to be recognized by the Chair and starts taking then he and he alone has the burden of following the rules.

There two ways that they could work together however:

The first is through questions. Sen. Wyden can ask Paul a question, and that question can be hours in length and that can give Paul a rest from talking and allow him to walk about the floor to stretch his legs, but Paul still isn't allowed to sit down or leave else he risks yielding the floor.

And though they can't Filibuster at the same time, they can filibuster concurrently. So once Paul is done with his Filibuster, he can sit down, Sen Wyden can ask to be recognized, and he can repeat the same exact thing that Paul just did.