PDA

View Full Version : Members of Congress pulled a huge fraud so they could get ObamaCare subsidies (Rand Related)

RonPaul4Prez2012
05-08-2015, 04:38 PM
I know the OG source was national review but I seriously hope this is all BS, I can't take anymore hits from Rand Paul this early.

Members of Congress pulled a huge fraud so they could get ObamaCare subsidies

http://static.caintv.com/e8f7d640a3mcconnellpaul.jpg

And Republican senators, at the behest of Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, are blocking the inquiry that should be exposing it.

Great reporting here by National Review's Brendan Bordelon, who got an earful from Louisiana Sen. David Vitter about the extent to which members of Congress pulled the wool over the entire nation's eyes so they could get health insurance subsidies they had no business getting - all while pretending they were sticking themselves with the same ObamaCare exchange coverage as everyone else who has to buy it.

The crux of it is this: In order to get around restrictions on who can get subsidies, Congress - as an institution, mind you - applied to the D.C. ObamaCare exchange for coverage. In its application, Congress claimed it had only 45 employees, thus allowing it to apply as a "small business." This allowed members of Congress to claim they were complying with the Grassley Amendment - added to ObamaCare upon its passage - which said that members of Congress should have to live with the same thing they shoving down the rest of the country's throats.

But they weren't, because if they were following the law, they would never be eligible for the subsidies. And that's not the worst part. The worst part is that Vitter, as chairman of the Small Business Committee, wants to issue subpoenas to get to the bottom of how this happened. That requires a majority vote of the committee. Every Democrat, as you might imagine, opposes the subpoenas. But the Republicans would surely support them, right?

Nope. And guess who's pressuring them not to. It's your favorite Senate Majority Leader:

With nine Democrats on the committee lined up against the proposal, the chairman needed the support of all ten Republicans to issue the subpoena. But, though it seems an issue tailor-made for the tea-party star and Republican presidential candidate, Senator Rand Paul (R., Ky.) refused to lend his support. And when the Louisiana senator set a public vote for April 23, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and his allies got involved.

“For whatever reason, leadership decided they wanted that vote to be 5–5, all Republicans, to give Senator Paul cover,” one high-ranking committee staffer tells National Review. “So they worked at a member level to change the votes of otherwise supportive senators.” Four Republicans — senators Mike Enzi, James Risch, Kelly Ayotte, and Deb Fischer — had promised to support Vitter, but that would soon change.

“The amount of blood that McConnell and Paul spilled to prevent [the subpoena] from happening makes me wonder [if] maybe that isn’t all that there is to it,” the high-ranking staffer says. Senate staffers, according to a top committee aide, reported seeing Missouri senator Roy Blunt make calls to at least two Republican committee members, lobbying them, at McConnell’s behest, to vote no on subpoenaing the exchange. By the time the committee was called to quorum, Enzi, Risch, Ayotte, and Fischer voted no.

To many observers, it was curious that any Republican would move to put the brakes on an investigation into Obamacare fraud, and particularly curious that they would pull back in an instance where the federal government was actually defrauding itself, one that so clearly illustrates Obamacare’s flaws by exposing the bureaucratic jujitsu and outright dishonesty required of federal employees themselves to navigate the law. Conservative health-care experts can’t understand the reasoning behind the GOP senators’ opposition. They see politics and self-interest at play, and they allege that Republican leaders are as invested as their Democratic counterparts in maintaining their subsidies, fraudulently obtained, while avoiding scrutiny from an overwhelmingly disapproving American public.

So you tell me: Why are Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul so determined to quash this subpoena? McConnell? Sure. Creature of Washington. Protecting the perks of the political class. Anyone can see that. But Rand Paul? The champion of libertarian, small government, free-market everything? The scourge of ObamaCare? Really? Rand Paul? What's that all about?

Unless his signature is on the application or there's something else in the process that could tie the whole fraud back to him, it's hard to explain. If what we think we know about Rand Paul's ideology is correct, you'd think he'd be the first guy who would want this subpoena issued.

What it looks like is this: Democrats passed ObamaCare along with the Grassley Amendment, and that caused a massive upheaval among members of Congress, who liked their cushy health care packages and had no interests in actually giving them up for ObamaCare coverage. But now they'd been forced to vote for that for the sake of political appearances, so the leadership said, "OK, fine, we'll think of something."

And the something turned out to be a total fraud in which the institution of Congress pretended to be something it's not in order to get something it has no business having. My guess is that the scam was bipartisan, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that the names Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, John Boehner and Mitch McConnell are all over it.

It would surprise me a little to find out that Rand Paul was. I am not that much of a fan, but that has more to do with his libertarianism on things like crime, drugs and foreign policy. On domestic economic policy - which definitely includes health care - I would have thought he was solid. And I certainly would have thought he'd be the first guy to sound the alarm about a scam like this.

If not, I'd think a lot of people who like him for president would be doing some serious re-assessing right about now.

Get Dan's three-part series of Christian spiritual thrillers! And follow all of Dan's work by liking his page on Facebook.

hxxp://www.caintv.com/members-of-congress-pulled-a-h

eleganz
05-08-2015, 04:51 PM
In my experience, Brandon Bordelon of Nation Review has a history of attacking Rand but trying to make it appear unbiased at the same time.