PDA

View Full Version : GOP consultant on hot seat with Mitch over Rand Paul attack

Matt Collins
05-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and senior Republican officials are calling out a GOP firm that worked on a seven-figure ad campaign lashing Rand Paul over his foreign policy views.

The problem? The firm’s co-founder is also working for a McConnell-backed super PAC that’s defending the GOP Senate majority in 2016, when Paul is also on the Senate ballot in Kentucky.

You should read the rest of the article, it is fascinating:
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/gop-consultant-black-rock-rand-paul-foreign-policy-117738.html

hells_unicorn
05-08-2015, 09:29 AM
You should read the rest of the article, it is fascinating:
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/gop-consultant-black-rock-rand-paul-foreign-policy-117738.html

It looks like this Lisa Boothe person is going to get thrown under the bus and Forti will probably get off with a warning, though I'm sure his butt is pretty sore from the whooping he probably got by McConnell. This is one of the reasons why I didn't get overly angry at Rand for endorsing McConnell, this is the kind of cover you get for playing ball with party leadership. If Rand carries the nomination, it will be because people like Forti and Karl Rove might find themselves as persona non grata among the GOP leadership that guarantees them their money if they step out of line and do what they helped do to his father.

This may be a bit Machiavellian, but I can't really say I disapprove since it may well work. Furthermore, it is interesting to note that one of the main guys that is peeved over this is Mark Levin, so everyone crying about Rand Paul's recent vote might want to consider that they've joined forces with one of the biggest douche bags on talk radio. Just a thought.

Superfly
05-08-2015, 09:31 AM
As much as we all don't like Mitch, he owes his office to Rand right now. He can't politically survive without him. That's not something to be taken lightly.

AuH20
05-08-2015, 09:35 AM
You're telling me Mitch couldn't have prevented this? I don't believe it.

hells_unicorn
05-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Not prevented it, since it obviously already happened, but a lot of heat that Ron went through will be taken off this time around. McConnell has pull with the GOP leadership, Ron had no such advantages. If you want to win, you pay the piper, and for all concerned parties, the piper is not loud mouths like Levin and Limbaugh. QED.

mit26chell
05-08-2015, 11:00 AM

“Leader McConnell was of course not aware of this activity,” said Brian McGuire, a top aide to McConnell, a fellow Kentucky Republican. “But those involved should know that in his view it’s completely unacceptable, and that no consultant who makes a living attacking members of his conference who are running for reelection should expect to do any business with the party committees.”

jj-
05-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Mitch pretending to be bothered?

hells_unicorn
05-08-2015, 11:14 AM

You would prefer that Mitch be an enemy trying to get replace Rand in a 2016 senate primary with some Neocon to distract Rand from his presidential run? Careful what you wish for, you might actually get it.

jj-
05-08-2015, 11:27 AM
You would prefer that Mitch be an enemy trying to get replace Rand in a 2016 senate primary with some Neocon to distract Rand from his presidential run?

No. Projecting much?

hells_unicorn
05-08-2015, 11:47 AM
No. Projecting much?

No. Thin-skinned much?

twomp
05-08-2015, 12:00 PM
You would prefer that Mitch be an enemy trying to get replace Rand in a 2016 senate primary with some Neocon to distract Rand from his presidential run? Careful what you wish for, you might actually get it.

Fear monger much? I wish for a billion dollars. I hope I actually get it.

AuH20
05-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Who's to say either way? We don't know what his true motive is. Mitch is as slippery as an eel, which explains his longevity at the top rung of the GOP.

r3volution 3.0
05-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Who's to say either way? We don't know what his true motive is. Mitch is as slippery as an eel, which explains his longevity at the top rung of the GOP.

I think it's pretty clear. He wants to get reelected and hang on to the Senate majority leadership position.

I don't think Mitch has any principles, just ambition: which is fine, one can do business with someone like that.

Contrast with someone like Lindsey Graham, who is actually insane.

AuH20
05-08-2015, 12:21 PM
I think it's pretty clear. He wants to get reelected and hang on to the Senate majority leadership position.

I don't think Mitch has any principles, just ambition: which is fine, one can do business with someone like that.

Contrast with someone like Lindsey Graham, who is actually insane.

Sure, he wants to stay in power but he enjoys keeping his club exclusive. Rand doesn't fit in his vision.

r3volution 3.0
05-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Sure, he wants to stay in power but he enjoys keeping his club exclusive. Rand doesn't fit in his vision.

I think McConnells' dipping his toe in Lake Rand to hedge his bets.

If Rand wins, watch McConnell dive right in.

georgiaboy
05-10-2015, 06:49 AM
And of course Politburo highlights the mischaracterizations of Rand's foreign policy from the ad, without any mention of why they are such.

Never miss an opportunity for a propaganda side-swipe at my president. laaaaaaame.

eleganz
05-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I think McConnells' dipping his toe in Lake Rand to hedge his bets.

^^^^Exactly, people who want power go where there is power to be gotten.

It is such a simple concept, I don't know why some people just don't get it. Quit trying to rebel against the so called "TPTB" and actually understand them so you can play to their weaknesses.

Don't forget, even though Ron was isolated into his own extreme label, a lot of elected officials called him up to help with fundraising and endorsements. Ron had his own type of power and influence and people wanted a piece of it. If Ron wanted to play the game, he could've used that power to influence those coming to him for help.

05-11-2015, 05:21 PM

I don't think it's pretending. McConnell is big on you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. He's been paying back the help Rand has given him. It's a productive relationship.