PDA

View Full Version : Death penalty too costly, inefficient

Suzanimal
05-07-2015, 07:57 PM
My personal experience corroborates the studies’ findings. In my first job after law school, I served as a judicial law clerk for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit here in Atlanta, where I was confronted firsthand with the death penalty’s expense and complexities. Each capital appeal required far more time of the judges and court staff than comparable life-without-parole appeals and often came back for court review multiple times.

Although it may be tempting to limit these appeals, when you limit the appeals process, you significantly increase the risk of executing an innocent person. Past cases show it can take well over 30 years to clear a wrongly convicted individual who has been sentenced to death.

Even with all this increased cost and effort required to administer capital punishment, it still does not produce favorable outcomes for our state. In fact, there remains an unacceptable risk to innocent life. Georgia has executed 57 individuals and wrongly convicted and released five from death row, while others were executed despite serious questions surrounding their guilt. Troy Davis was executed 20 years after his conviction, but growing doubt about his verdict was not enough to halt his execution. Our government is not perfect, and when you give an imperfect state the power of life and death, innocent lives will inevitably be exposed to the fallibility of the system.

Compounding these issues is the realization capital punishment fails to keep the public safe. There is no legitimate evidence that supports the claim the death penalty prevents murder, and multiple studies have come to the conclusion there is no such preventive effect. In fact, there is likely no causal relationship between the death penalty and murder rates at all.

Beyond this, our current death penalty system often adds to the pain and suffering of a murder victim’s family and friends. These family and friends sadly find the death penalty system harmful due to the stress, anxiety and uncertainty from the myriad trials, appeals, postponed execution dates and ceaseless media attention. Justice should be swift for victims’ families, but the death penalty is anything but swift.

Capital punishment runs counter to core conservative principles of life, fiscal responsibility and limited government. The reality is that capital punishment is nothing more than an expensive, wasteful and risky government program. It fails the very people it is supposed to serve: victims’ families and society as a whole. As such, I believe the death penalty simply has become far too expensive and cumbersome to administer in our state.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/opinion/death-penalty-too-costly-inefficient/nmBc5/?ecmp=ajc_social_facebook_2014_sfp#6d6c7b86.394862 7.735725

Ronin Truth
05-08-2015, 06:43 AM
A rock solid sure indication of government involvement and doing it wrong.

fisharmor
05-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Wow, an article by a true insider.

Since when does the state give a damn about costs? Hey genius lawyer, how about you total up all the non-death-penalty cases in Georgia by crime committed, and compare that to the death penalty cases?
I'll bet the rent that you'd find that you're wasting way more taxpayer dollars prosecuting any single nonsense "conservative Republican" pet non-issue like drugs, terrorism, and being black.... and this isn't even looking at the other nonsense liberal Democrat pet non-issues like environmental violations.

Death penalty trials involve far more police investigations, court motions, prosecutor and defense attorney time, expert testimony, and other court and investigation resources than other criminal trials.
So what I just read there is not that there's a higher burden of proof for death penalty cases, what I read is that there is a LOWER burden of proof if you're not actively trying to kill the offender.
That's seriously the message you want to broadcast?

Although it may be tempting to limit these appeals, when you limit the appeals process, you significantly increase the risk of executing an innocent person. Past cases show it can take well over 30 years to clear a wrongly convicted individual who has been sentenced to death.
Again, if you weren't fucking around with all the other nonsense cases, you'd find that you actually have plenty of time to figure out who is actually guilty or not guilty of actual crimes.

Even with all this increased cost and effort required to administer capital punishment, it still does not produce favorable outcomes for our state. In fact, there remains an unacceptable risk to innocent life.
Sine when is an unacceptable risk to innocent life an unfavorable outcome for the state? Since the very first state, ordinarily unacceptable risk to innocent life has been the actual goal. This lawyer's life's work is either completely dedicated to creating unacceptable risk to innocent life (if he is a prosecutor), or sticking his head in the sand and making a buck off of the fact that the entire system is dedicated to creating suck risk (if he is a defender). So he doesn't really have a leg to stand on there.

Compounding these issues is the realization capital punishment fails to keep the public safe.
That's where he is wrong. Capital punishment absolutely does keep the public safe: when it is administered on-the-spot, during the commission of a life-threatening crime. It's true that it does nothing to affect public safety after the fact, though.

Capital punishment runs counter to core conservative principles of life, fiscal responsibility and limited government. The reality is that capital punishment is nothing more than an expensive, wasteful and risky government program.
So is the entire "justice" system you work for. Your "justice" system never produces justice. It's not possible.
It is nothing more than a system for exacting revenge on people who break the state's rules.

As a conservative, I expect my government to find the most cost-effective means to achieve its goals
It already has. It's the means which was used on Freddie Gray.
And from what I've seen, Georgia is getting infamous for use of this means, so mission accomplished, Mr. Burge.

presence
05-08-2015, 08:43 AM
keeping people that are a genuine threat to society in a humane cage would not be so damn expensive if the cages were not filled beyond capacity victimless "criminals".