PDA

View Full Version : Major changes to Iowa straw poll. Will this hurt or help us?

eleganz
05-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Breaking the link since DMR has a history of attacking the Pauls.

Looks like the Iowa straw poll just got more competitive. I think a lot of the campaigns will flex their muscles for this one, its going to be harder and more expensive to win this year.

The Republican Party of Iowa, in an effort to lure presidential candidates to its August straw poll, will provide free tent space and utilities for the campaigns at the Boone venue, party leaders said Thursday.

That's a savings of potentially tens of thousands of dollars for candidates, who have would bid between $10,000 and $35,000 in past years for prime real estate at the party's fundraiser. This year, campaign spaces will be assigned at random for the Aug. 8 event at the Central Iowa Expo.

Republican state chairman Jeff Kaufmann said the changes were a direct result of comments from the national media, as well as current and past campaigns.

The straw poll has been widely criticized as having outsized importance, even to the point of having losing candidates drop out of the race. Campaigns sometimes spent hundreds of thousands of dollars at the straw poll as a sort of dry run for the caucuses.

"The national media has been quick to say, pay-to-play, and so we've listened to everybody," Kaufmann said.

RELATED:How well does straw poll predict results? | Pros and cons of straw poll

Gov. Terry Branstad, who had publicly stated the straw poll had "outlived its usefulness," was complimentary of the changes. Branstad's spokesman, Jimmy Centers, said in an email that governor appreciates Kaufmann's "well thought-out decision" and that the change "removes many cost barriers for campaigns and creates a fun and engaging atmosphere for Iowans."

In addition to paying for tent space and providing electrical power, Kaufmann said there would be food vendors on site.

"One thing that we heard that there was … culinary warfare as to who could come up with the best food, the best culinary delights for that day," Kaufmann said.

Candidates could still provide free food to attract people to their tent, however, he said.

Kaufmann said candidates have not yet been formally invited to the straw poll and he doesn't know how many plan to attend. Sen. Ted Cruz has said he plans to participate and his campaign on Thursday confirmed they will review the new rules before making a firm commitment.

"I can't imagine skipping an opportunity that's free, that costs you a plane ticket, to interact with tens of thousands of caucusgoing Republicans," Kaufmann said.

It may cost more than a plane ticket, however. The party is not changing one feature that has racked up costs for campaigns: The ability to buy admission tickets for supporters. Admission is $30 and in past years, many of the campaigns bought tickets for supporters and paid to bus them across the state to the event.

That's up to the campaigns, Kaufmann said. Candidates who are invited will be on the straw poll ballot regardless of whether they attend

hxxp://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2015/05/07/iowa-straw-poll-changes/70941196/

willwash
05-07-2015, 05:23 PM
They wanna make it interesting, they should work with the networks and host a debate there

puppetmaster
05-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Looks ok to me.

notsure
05-07-2015, 10:19 PM
To me, it doesn't sound like it'll affect us at all. Sounds like it will put less financial pressure on all campaigns to compete. I'm not sure where you get the notion, from this news, that campaigns will have to "flex their muscles" or that it would be more expensive than any other year. It sounds like the opposite, imo. It may be competitive in the fact that all campaigns will be on an equal playing field. It seems like the straw poll will be based on who has the better ideas, not who's offering the better tent space or food.

William Tell
05-07-2015, 10:29 PM
To me, it doesn't sound like it'll affect us at all. Sounds like it will put less financial pressure on all campaigns to compete. I'm not sure where you get the notion, from this news, that campaigns will have to "flex their muscles" or that it would be more expensive than any other year. It sounds like the opposite, imo. It may be competitive in the fact that all campaigns will be on an equal playing field. It seems like the straw poll will be based on who has the better ideas, not who's offering the better tent space or food.
Its hard to take the opinions of someone named 'notsure' seriously.:p

FreedomProsperityPeace
05-07-2015, 11:52 PM
More money to hire a huge country star! :D lol

adelina
05-08-2015, 12:07 AM
I don't think the above mentioned changes matter that much. But I do think that moving it away from Ames was a blatant attempt to stop Rand from winning it.

invisible
05-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Hopefully it's not an excuse to stick Rand in a back corner, and give the huckster and santorum the prime spots. Maybe Rand can get Rush to play.

mosquitobite
05-08-2015, 06:32 AM
This year, campaign spaces will be assigned at random for the Aug. 8 event at the Central Iowa Expo.

It'll just be random that Rand ends up with the worst tent assignment. right?

Bastiat's The Law
05-08-2015, 08:37 AM
The bidding was cool. That was actually an event in itself with the various campaigns competing for prime real estate. It was a great example of the market in action.

goRPaul
05-08-2015, 09:28 PM
It'll just be random that Rand ends up with the worst tent assignment. right?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Instead of bidding in public, the bidding will be in private.

satchelmcqueen
05-09-2015, 12:16 AM
seems the best way would be to keep it equal for all involved. to much to ask for i suppose.