PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum planning May 27 presidential announcement

jct74
05-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Santorum to make campaign announcement May 27 in Pittsburgh

By Jonathan Easley
May 06, 2015, 07:48 pm

Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) said Wednesday he’ll make a “big announcement” regarding his 2016 presidential campaign plans May 27 in Pittsburgh.

Santorum attended school in Pittsburgh and spent several years there as a lawyer before being elected to Congress.

Santorum set up a testing-the-waters campaign account earlier this month to help finance his trips to the early-voting states, where he’s been meeting with local activists and party leaders to gauge support ahead of what appears to be another run at the Republican presidential nomination.

Last week, Santorum attended three events in South Carolina, and he held three events in Iowa the week prior. He’ll head back to Iowa on May 16 for one of the state party’s biggest fundraisers, the Lincoln Dinner in Des Moines.

Santorum is currently buried in the polls in 11th place nationally and taking only 2 percent support, according to the RealClearPolitics average. He’s only doing a little bit better in Iowa, pulling 2.7 percent support, according to RCP.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/241288-santorum-to-make-2016-announcement-may-27

William Tell
05-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Cruz, Huckabee, and others took his support.

juleswin
05-07-2015, 09:19 AM
I will also be declaring my candidacy for the POTUS on may 16. @juleswin.prez and also in the HOT topic section of RPF. Join the movement for real change

Don't laugh, I have just as much as a chance as him of winning the nomination.

Matt McGuire
05-07-2015, 09:24 AM

True. So his announcement is actually good news. Adds to the show

Mr.NoSmile
05-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Another loon from the loony bin jumping into the clown car.

Todd
05-07-2015, 09:30 AM
People will enjoy googling him again I guess.

juleswin
05-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Another loon from the loony bin jumping into the clown car.

The jury is still out if its a good thing or not. Remember that there are going to be few debates this round, now imagine 2-3 idiot candidates on top of the candidates we have now taking precious time away from serious discussion and pushing candidates with real substance to the side. I really don't see how that would help a candidate like Rand who wouldn't have the kind of money Bush or Rubio would have and would need to use the debates to sell himself.

adelina
05-07-2015, 11:55 AM
He will take some votes away from Walker and Cruz. I see this as good news overall.

William Tell
05-07-2015, 11:57 AM
True. So his announcement is actually good news. Adds to the show

Yep, unless having lots of candidates severely cuts into Rand's allotted debate time.

dannno
05-07-2015, 12:03 PM
What happened to his google problem?

invisible
05-07-2015, 02:51 PM
I will also be declaring my candidacy for the POTUS on may 16. @juleswin.prez and also in the HOT topic section of RPF. Join the movement for real change

Nice to see him back down in the low single digits, where he belongs.

Hey, you'll be in good company! After all, Vermin Supreme is running too!

santorum running is a good thing, he'll cause even further splitting of the votes that always go to the "most religious" candidate, and will peel votes off from both the huckster and cruz. But it's a double-edged sword, since all 3 of those candidates will peel off at least some of those "religious votes" that might otherwise go to Rand. The big question is will that happen to the extent that would allow bush or walker to win in states like IA and SC, where that religious voting bloc is huge.

invisible
05-07-2015, 02:54 PM
What happened to his google problem?

A lot of people were spreading santorum in this last election. He got spread so thin, that people finally started to see through him. Hopefully his website is still around, and still comes up among the very first google results.

luctor-et-emergo
05-07-2015, 02:58 PM

If that change means that foreigners will be able to vote, then - retroactively- I will vote for your candidacy!

A lot of people were spreading santorum in this last election. He got spread so thin, that people finally started to see through him. Hopefully his website is still around, and still comes up among the very first google results.

Yep it's still around;
http://spreadingsantorum.com/

Spread it some more...

/update, page 4 search results gives me the urban dictionary results or santorum, spreadingsantorum.com is further back in the results on page 5.

alucard13mm
05-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Sure is a lot of bible thumpers and socons this time around.

RickyJ
05-07-2015, 03:07 PM
He will take some votes away from Walker and Cruz. I see this as good news overall.

The goal is to decisively win the nomination when it is down to just two or three candidates, not barely win it with 12 candidates at the finish line. Rand is going to need a ton of money to have a legitimate chance.

LawnWake
05-07-2015, 03:30 PM

They have this opposite grasp of time, where they think the more time progresses, the closer we get to the 16th century.

wizardwatson
05-07-2015, 03:41 PM

You have to understand why. The evangelical community believes gay marriage is a sign of the end times. With Hagee talking about blood moons and ISIS and Israel and all the rest the 100 million strong American evangelicals are literally in a manic phase.

The last church service I went to they showed a video about gay marriage that featured Huckabee talking about how Christians were being persecuted and "outlawed" because of the whole "gay wedding cake" thing.

They believe they are about to be raptured, so their main focus is:

1. Defend Israel.
2. Kill Muslims.
3. Stop the gays.

Because that's what God would want. It's really that simple.

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2015, 03:44 PM
I wonder what special significance Sanatorium places on May 27th... Here are my nominations:

http://www.historyorb.com/day/may/27

1529 - 30 Jews of Posing Hungary, charged with blood ritual, burned at stake
1692 - Court of Oyer and Terminer established by Governor of Massachusetts to hear accussations of witchcraft
1979 - Pope John Paul II ordains John J O'Connor as a bishop

-t

RonPaul4Prez2012
05-07-2015, 03:45 PM
can we hurry up and get to the primaries, I dont know how long I can stand to listen to these GOP clowns.

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2015, 03:58 PM
You have to understand why. The evangelical community believes gay marriage is a sign of the end times. With Hagee talking about blood moons and ISIS and Israel and all the rest the 100 million strong American evangelicals are literally in a manic phase.

The last church service I went to they showed a video about gay marriage that featured Huckabee talking about how Christians were being persecuted and "outlawed" because of the whole "gay wedding cake" thing.

They believe they are about to be raptured, so their main focus is:

1. Defend Israel.
2. Kill Muslims.
3. Stop the gays.

Because that's what God would want. It's really that simple.

:confused:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/10/the-shriking-evangelical-voter-pool/381560/

but now white evangelicals are seeing their own populations shrink. In recent years, for example, the Southern Baptist Convention, the largest evangelical denomination in the country, has reported steady declines in membership and new baptisms. Since 2007, the number of white evangelical Protestants nationwide has slipped from 22 percent in 2007 to 18 percent today.

A look at generational differences demonstrates that this is only the beginnings of a major shift away from a robust white evangelical presence and influence in the country. While white evangelical Protestants constitute roughly three in 10 (29 percent) seniors (age 65 and older), they account for only one in 10 (10 percent) members of the Millennial generation (age 18-29). In the last few national elections, however, because of high levels of voter turnout, white evangelical Protestants have managed to maintain an outsized presence at the ballot box according to national exit polls, representing roughly one-quarter of voters.

-t

mad cow
05-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Yep.Also Huckabee and Santorum will take donation money from Walker and Cruz,who I see as the real threats.

anaconda
05-07-2015, 04:32 PM

Will be interesting to see how Carson stacks up with Huck & Cruz. Frothy's 2012 niche is much more competitive this time.

wizardwatson
05-07-2015, 06:28 PM

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/10/the-shriking-evangelical-voter-pool/381560/

but now white evangelicals are seeing their own populations shrink. In recent years, for example, the Southern Baptist Convention, the largest evangelical denomination in the country, has reported steady declines in membership and new baptisms. Since 2007, the number of white evangelical Protestants nationwide has slipped from 22 percent in 2007 to 18 percent today.

A look at generational differences demonstrates that this is only the beginnings of a major shift away from a robust white evangelical presence and influence in the country. While white evangelical Protestants constitute roughly three in 10 (29 percent) seniors (age 65 and older), they account for only one in 10 (10 percent) members of the Millennial generation (age 18-29). In the last few national elections, however, because of high levels of voter turnout, white evangelical Protestants have managed to maintain an outsized presence at the ballot box according to national exit polls, representing roughly one-quarter of voters.

-t

Well, gee I don't know. yours may be talking about a more narrow definition.

This is Wikipedia.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism
According to a 2011 Pew Forum study on global Christianity, 285,480,000 or 13.1 percent of all Christians are Evangelicals.[66] The largest concentration of Evangelicals can be found in the United States, with 26.8% of the U.S. population or 94.38 million,[67] the latter being roughly one third of the world's Evangelicals.[4] The next most populous is Brazil, with 26.3% or 51.33 million.[67]

It's the primary christian demographic in the US. That's the point.

hells_unicorn
05-07-2015, 07:51 PM

-t

This is an extremely shallow understanding of what is going on with Southern Baptist Churches, and also an extremely bad source as Democrats lost all of the elections that this source touts as examples pretty badly. There is a rampant trend towards either Antinomianism or Legalism in these churches (it's even worse in Independent Churches) due to the lack of a doctrinal center to keep the congregational church government from becoming a localized tyranny, which pushes away churchgoers. Other churches are probably lapping up a significant chunk of the diaspora from the wastelands of present day Fundamentalism, and my own church which is very small and pretty far to the right has managed to pick up about half a dozen stragglers locally, and several others have been pointed to slightly less originalist Presbyterian churches because of our efforts.

Furthermore, any current trends are not necessarily a binding indication of the future, even in the short-term. Unlike urban liberals that maybe pop out 1 or 2 kids at best, there are still conclaves of old school Christianity where birth control is not practiced, ergo they'll take your just making replacement fertility and raise you another 6 or 8, this is particularly true with Mormon families, which I personally do not see as that good of a thing. This is the reason why the Democratic Party needs all of these Latinos pouring in from Mexico and Central America as citizens, because they're old guard are dying off and not replacing themselves.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.baptiststandard.com/opinion/editorial/15732-editorial-fertility-evangelism-american-christianity
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/2010/12/22/gods-little-rabbits-religious-people-out-reproduce-secular-ones-by-a-landslide/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2723861/

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2015, 11:37 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism
According to a 2011 Pew Forum study on global Christianity, 285,480,000 or 13.1 percent of all Christians are Evangelicals.[66] The largest concentration of Evangelicals can be found in the United States, with 26.8% of the U.S. population or 94.38 million,[67] the latter being roughly one third of the world's Evangelicals.[4] The next most populous is Brazil, with 26.3% or 51.33 million.[67]

When did the US gain an extra 80 Million people?

-t