PDA

View Full Version : Sens. Paul, Ernst, & Boxer Introduce Legislation to Arm the Kurds in Support of Fight Against

Virgil
05-05-2015, 03:50 PM
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senators Rand Paul (R-KY), Joni Ernst (R-IA), and Barbara Boxer (D-CA) introduced bipartisan legislation to provide for a temporary, emergency authorization of defense articles, defense services, and related training directly to the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). Other cosponsors include Senators Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Ron Johnson (R-WI), and Marco Rubio (R-FL). This legislation would allow the U.S. to provide direct assistance to the KRG, a critical partner in the fight against ISIS. The companion bill was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives andhas broad bipartisan support across the ideological spectrum.

The legislation provides temporary, emergency authority for the President to provide weapons and training directly to Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga forces. The three-year authorization seeks to reduce delays in arming Peshmerga forces to fight ISIS, while in consultation with the Iraqi government.

“Defeating ISIS requires active participation from our allies in the region. I support sending arms to the Kurdish fighters who are providing the vital boots on the ground. This Administration claims they need the legal authority to arm the Kurds. This bill removes any doubt that they have the authority and the renewed encouragement of Congress to provide our Kurdish allies the support they need to continue their fight against ISIS and radical Islam,” Senator Paul said.

http://www.paul.senate.gov/news/press/sens-paul-ernst-and-boxer-introduce-legislation-to-arm-the-kurds-in-support-of-fight-against-isis

-Virgil

jj-
05-05-2015, 03:53 PM
lol

wizardwatson
05-05-2015, 03:56 PM
We already did this, or I assume 'are still doing this' with Iraq.

And guess what happened. The extra "military" people were in collusion with their superiors to collect their soldier salaries that we helped pay but still actually had regular jobs and just bribed the officers above them with a cut of the pay so they could collect two salaries.

That's why when ISIS moved in they washed over them like a plague of locusts. Because the military we were subsidizing didn't exist, and the ones that did tucked tail and went home and changed into their civilian clothes.

But let's do it again. I'm sure this time it will work.

Throwing money at our "allies" does not translate into military strategy.

Brett85
05-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Fine with me. I definitely prefer this as an alternative to sending U.S troops back to Iraq. Coming out and saying "let's just ignore ISIS" isn't going to work.

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Well, the Kurds are not like the "moderate rebels" in Syria - i.e. they are not going to turn into something like ISIS.

The only danger with the Kurds is that they go after the Turks, but the Turks are a NATO ally and perfect capable of handling the Kurds in a military sense.

So, while I prefer no involvement, as I'm sure most of us would, this doesn't really concern me too much.

05-05-2015, 05:01 PM
I think we should SELL arms to the Kurds, not arm them on my tax dollar. The Kurds have plenty of oil to sell to pay for arms, just stop blocking the sale of it.

The Peshmerga won't fold like the new Iraqi "army". They have historically been a formidable fighting force.

The Turks are coming around on the Kurds. With ISIS/IS/daesh going nutso the Turks are starting to see the Kurds as a valuable buffer between them and ISIS.

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2015, 05:03 PM
The Turks are coming around on the Kurds. With ISIS/IS/daesh going nutso the Turks are starting to see the Kurds as a valuable buffer between them and ISIS.

That would be quite an historic change of attitude. Sounds plausible, but source?

hells_unicorn
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
The most important part of this bill is the optics involved, whether or not it wins the war for the Kurds against ISIS remains to be seen. Frankly, this is a no-win situation for all involved, but the American government all but created ISIS through its policy in Syria a few years back. We broke it, we bought it. That is the perception and the reality, and this will only help Rand in the upcoming primaries.

presence
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Baghdad is taking this as a major snub.

The Shiite dominated government has reacted angry to the proposed bill. Prominent cleric Muqtada al-Sadr on Wednesday threatened to attack US interests in the country if the law passed. Prime Minister al-Abadi has spoken with US Vice President Joe Biden to address the issue, BasNews reported.
The proposed bill, criticized as a threat to Iraq’s sovereignty, has faced problems in the US, as the country cannot legally arm regions or groups.

http://www.kurdpress.com/En/NSite/FullStory/News/?Id=10298#Title=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09US%20co ngress%20to%20reconsider%20ways%20of%20arming%20Pe shmerga%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09

wizardwatson
05-05-2015, 05:19 PM

http://www.kurdpress.com/En/NSite/FullStory/News/?Id=10298#Title=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09US%20co ngress%20to%20reconsider%20ways%20of%20arming%20Pe shmerga%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09

Well, my post #3 above is probably EXACTLY why we went over Baghdad's helmet. Baghdad is corrupt and wasted the money so I guess we're banking that the Kurds are slightly less corrupt.

Vanguard101
05-05-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm really getting annoyed by Rand

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2015, 05:54 PM

With or without US support to the Kurds, Baghdad is never going to have real control over the Kurdish north again.

Probably the same for the Sunni west/middle, regardless of what happens to ISIS.

The future of Iraq is either serious federalism or three separate states.

...or continual civil war if outside powers won't let this natural evolution unfold.

wizardwatson
05-05-2015, 05:56 PM
With or without US support to the Kurds, Baghdad is never going to have real control over the Kurdish north again.

Probably the same for the Sunni west/middle, regardless of what happens to ISIS.

...or continual civil war if outside powers won't let this natural evolution unfold.

So basically what you're saying is.....mission accomplished?

(lol on the 'natural evolution' btw)

Origanalist
05-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Ugh, that is all.

hells_unicorn
05-05-2015, 07:18 PM

Expecting serious federalism in a majority Islamic country is like hoping for permafrost in the Sahara desert. The best outcome would be three separate states, and it pains me to say that is I am essentially agreeing with Joe Biden in the process. Furthermore, I'm going to echo wizardwatson's sentiments on your last point, there is nothing natural regarding the situation in Iraq, it's the making of centuries of destructive choices both from within and from the outside.

rp08orbust
05-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Come on people, a war that has the support of women like Joni Ernst, Barbara Boxer and Lindsey Graham can't be all that bad.

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Furthermore, I'm going to echo wizardwatson's sentiments on your last point, there is nothing natural regarding the situation in Iraq, it's the making of centuries of destructive choices both from within and from the outside.

I mean that the splitting of this artificial nation into its three meaningful parts is natural, and what would happen sans outside interference.

JohnGalt1225
05-05-2015, 07:37 PM
I hate this kind of stuff but I understand that it is better than the alternative of U.S. boots on the ground. In an ideal world we wouldn't do either but we can only operate in the world we live in.

hells_unicorn
05-05-2015, 07:38 PM
I mean that the splitting of this artificial nation into its three meaningful parts is natural, and what would happen sans outside interference.

Okay, using the word natural to describe it threw me a bit. At this point I'd say that some level of involvement regarding the whole ISIS thing is inevitable, the general populous has been too captivated by the propaganda to mount a meaningful opposition to realize a complete pull out. In a sense, Graham and McCain had already partially prevailed on this issue (arming the Kurds) prior to anyone declaring their run for president, and I'd argue that beating up on Rand for this is foolish as it will accomplish nothing, which is what I'm starting to see already.

There is such a thing as picking one's battles.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
05-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Rand has been pushing for an independent state for the Kurds. This seems of a piece with that.

Uriah
05-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Political points for sponsoring a bill with Joni Ernst. That will play well in Iowa. I don't like the idea sending arms to anybody. However, if it was going to be anybody the Kurds are the best option in the region. I fully support their future independence. At this point it is nearly inevitable.

Brian4Liberty
05-05-2015, 11:58 PM
I think we should SELL arms to the Kurds, not arm them on my tax dollar. The Kurds have plenty of oil to sell to pay for arms, just stop blocking the sale of it.

The Peshmerga won't fold like the new Iraqi "army". They have historically been a formidable fighting force.

Yep. Selling weapons is OK. Funding them is not OK.

Slutter McGee
05-06-2015, 09:56 AM
I really don't have any big problem with this. But how would it affect Turkey if it passes? They hate the Kurds.

Slutter McGee

05-06-2015, 10:46 AM
I really don't have any big problem with this. But how would it affect Turkey if it passes? They hate the Kurds.

Slutter McGee

Not much really. They will bitch and moan, but the reality is that even with US arms the Kurds would lose a war with Turkey.

twomp
05-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Slutter McGee

So do the Iranians. (that is why Israel supports the Kurds so much) Kurds have been carrying out terrorist attacks in Iran for years. This is how I look at this bill. Shoring up support for our allies in the region (Kurds) for the up coming war against Iran.

Brett85
05-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Come on people, a war that has the support of women like Joni Ernst, Barbara Boxer and Lindsey Graham can't be all that bad.

:confused: The bill doesn't authorize any war.