PDA

View Full Version : a letter and response from the constitution party...

sunny
06-28-2007, 10:36 AM
here's a letter i wrote and the response i got.....feedback?

Dear Dawn,

Thank you for your interest in the Constitution Party and for your support of Ron Paul, he's a great American Statesmen.

The Constitution Party's presidential candidate will be selected at its convention in the spring of 2008. We can't say for sure what will be decided by the convention delegates, but as the party who puts principle above party loyalty, it seems that in the unlikely event that Ron Paul is able to capture the Republican nomination, we would stand behind him 100%.

The dilemma we have is that we cannot sit around and wait to see what the Republicans are going to do but must build the ark that true Constitutionalists can find refuge on when it dawns on them that the Republican and Democrat parties will let them drown. To that end we must work to secure ballot access in all 50 states NOW and find a candidate who can carry our principles into a presidential campaign which will more than likely find a left-of-center candidate carrying the Republican mantle.

If the Grand Old Party does choose to return to its conservative ideals by supporting Congressman Paul, then there will be ample opportunity to throw our support behind him should our delegates so decide. If he does not win the GOP nomination we will have done much of the work to gain the ballot lines necessary to field a candidate who shares our values and who will govern constitutionally. That candidate could be Ron Paul should he decide to continue his race by seeking the Constitution Party nomination.

At this critical juncture in our history it is with firm hope we work toward the election of a true statesman who will seek to maintain the Founder’s vision in adherence to our great Constitution. We welcome your help in this endeavor.

For a Constitutional Republic once again,
Thom Holmes
CP National

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hi,
you know it's great that you want to nominate someone for president running on the constitution party platform, however, do you think that it makes sense or is the wisest thing to do?
why not give your support to dr. paul and NOT nominate a candidate? do you really think that your candidate would have a chance? dr. paul does have a chance. he's on a roll despite the mainstream media blackout.
in my humble opinion all third party candidates should unite behind him put their energy towards effectively making it happen that someone who can make a difference would have a chance. dr. paul IS that person. is his philosophy so different from yours?
why throw another person into the mix? i'm sorry - it just doesn't make sense!
please respond to this email.

thanks and blessings,
dawn

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Exactly, dawn. They need to get on board NOW, register as a Republican and VOTE IN the friggin' PRIMARY!!!

ARealConservative
06-28-2007, 10:42 AM
If Dr. Paul fails to win the nomination, those guys have my vote.

Unlike the Libertarian Party (it's the bylaws), their explanation makes sense.

They actually make decisions that matter for winning elections.

Original_Intent
06-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Yes, but it does seem like the Constitution Party is doing a smart thing. They are not focused on "building their party" and as a CP member, I feel that most of us ARE registering GOP where necessary to win the primary.

However, I think the CP is also doing the right thing to have an alternate path to get RP or another constitutionalist in the general election if RP does not get the nomination. And I expect as he gains popularity, every dirty trick in the book will be used to prevent him from getting the nomination.

joshuastjohn
06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I like their reply. Not officially backing him but would if it comes down to it. Plus getting their party on the ballot is important should Ron Paul decide he wants to go for a 3rd party should he lose the Republican nomination.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 10:58 AM
It's fine to get their party on the ballot, but I'm quite frankly DISGUSTED, that they are not suggesting that their members get registered as Republicans, if necessary, so they can vote in the primary.

torchbearer
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Libertarians in louisiana are uniformly changing over to the republican party closer to the primary, and if doesn't get the nomination. we are uniformly changing back to the LP.

Original_Intent
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Libertarians in louisiana are uniformly changing over to the republican party closer to the primary, and if doesn't get the nomination. we are uniformly changing back to the LP.

I think CP members are doing the exact same thing.

Also, I think Alan Keyes is prepared to lead an exodus from the GOP if a pro-choice candidate gets the GOP nomination.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Torch...

Exactly. Just because someone registers as Republican to vote in the primary, does not mean they have to stay in the Republican party.

mconder
06-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I have been a constitution party member for years, and I figured it out...that I had to reregister for this critical time. Once Ron Paul is nominated, it's back to the constitution party.

I am going to see about running for Congress on the Constitution ticket this year. Someone's got to do it.

sunny
06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Exactly, dawn. They need to get on board NOW, register as a Republican and VOTE IN the friggin' PRIMARY!!!

liberty eagle, since we're on the same page here - why don't you fire off a letter to this guy - contactus@constitutionparty.com.

anyone else too~ NOW is the time to get all 3rd party candidates aligned behind dr. paul!

torchbearer
06-28-2007, 11:42 AM
the cp and lp are aligned behind paul. their public support will come at the appropriate time... which is not now... most likely around may of next year.
the individuals within these parties are the many internet volunteers we see on these forums and online polls.

sunny
06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
torchbearer,
when is the appropriate time........??? i don't see the point in waiting. it would mean more support for dr. paul now and more donations to his campaign.....who knows, maybe the greens and independents and whoever else would follow suit.

Bradley in DC
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
It's fine to get their party on the ballot, but I'm quite frankly DISGUSTED, that they are not suggesting that their members get registered as Republicans, if necessary, so they can vote in the primary.

Requirement differ greatly by state. Given how few states had the CP as a registered party which would preclude them from voting in the Republican primary, it's a distinction without a difference.

Original_Intent
06-28-2007, 11:53 AM
what torch said...

winston84
06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I just went to the Long Beach MeetUp this Tuesday and our organizer had stated that the American Independent Party (CP affiliate in California) had already chosen Ron Paul as their presidential candidate for 08. Our organizer had ran for congress as a Republican, so he's pretty plugged into the network.

Although I don't know what to make of this, I myself am a member of the CP and I was discussing this with a fellow CP member at the MeetUp. He told me that this was possible due to CP's de-centralized structure; state parties can nominate independently. Also according to the organizer it is indeed legal for a candidate to be nominated by multiple parties.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
liberty eagle, since we're on the same page here - why don't you fire off a letter to this guy - contactus@constitutionparty.com.

anyone else too~ NOW is the time to get all 3rd party candidates aligned behind dr. paul!

Done... about 10 minutes after I read your initial letter. :D

torchbearer
06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
torchbearer,
when is the appropriate time........??? i don't see the point in waiting. it would mean more support for dr. paul now and more donations to his campaign.....who knows, maybe the greens and independents and whoever else would follow suit.

I don't expect you to see the point... but there is more going on here than just a few people refusing to abandon their lifes work...
and their is an appropriate time. i've expressed this before... what would the republican base... the people we have to win over... what would they think if the libertarian party came out loud and proud today and said on the MSM, we are 200% behind ron paul and all our manpower and resources are going behind him!... didn't ron paul run for president as a libertarian in 1988? maybe he is just a libertarian trying to high-jack our party....

do you see what i am saying?

and then- you have our perspective...the lp perspective. why are we libertarians not republicans? because the neocons highjacked our party. if we lose the lp because of our neglect during this presidential cycle... and ron paul loses... we have damaged the only political vehicle we have to get 'ron paul like' ideas into the political arena because the republicans are not doing it.

its not as easy as you are making this out to be... its a complex problem... and it would be niave to act like it isn't and also iresponisble for those people like me who are trying to keep a backdoor open for people who desire liberty.

Silverback
06-28-2007, 03:09 PM
I think it would be a very good thing if both the LP and the CP managed to get ballot access for '08, for a whole lot of reasons.

That letter actually is very positive news because it indicates that if Ron wins he'll have the CP and probably the LP nominations as well, and if he loses he'll have another option.

torchbearer
06-28-2007, 03:09 PM
what torch said...

I get many miles out of my words.

Minuteman2008
06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I read a while back that Dr. Jerome Corsi will probably be the Constitution Party candidate.

Original_Intent
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I read a while back that Dr. Jerome Corsi will probably be the Constitution Party candidate.

He is the only candidate that has announced in the CP, afaik.

I agree with torch again - there will come a time for the CP and LP to openly announce for RP, but the time is not now and doing so would probably hurt his chances. And they are keeping options open in case RP does not get the nominations, which if they announced for RP now those would largely be closed or weakened.

sunny
06-28-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't expect you to see the point... but there is more going on here than just a few people refusing to abandon their lifes work...
and their is an appropriate time. i've expressed this before... what would the republican base... the people we have to win over... what would they think if the libertarian party came out loud and proud today and said on the MSM, we are 200% behind ron paul and all our manpower and resources are going behind him!... didn't ron paul run for president as a libertarian in 1988? maybe he is just a libertarian trying to high-jack our party....

do you see what i am saying?

and then- you have our perspective...the lp perspective. why are we libertarians not republicans? because the neocons highjacked our party. if we lose the lp because of our neglect during this presidential cycle... and ron paul loses... we have damaged the only political vehicle we have to get 'ron paul like' ideas into the political arena because the republicans are not doing it.

its not as easy as you are making this out to be... its a complex problem... and it would be niave to act like it isn't and also iresponisble for those people like me who are trying to keep a backdoor open for people who desire liberty.

so you don't expect me to see the point? i'm not sure how to take that.

for the rest of it - point taken!

torchbearer
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
so you don't expect me to see the point? i'm not sure how to take that.

for the rest of it - point taken!

I'm sorry, not ment to be insulting... i just don't have an expectation that the thought would be communicated in a way that you could understand even what was in my head.
That was a me comment, not a you comment. if that makes any sense.
i am not traditionally one who seeks to insult someone... so please always give my comments the benefit of the doubt.
civil discussion is so much better... i just get frustrated with my own ability to communicate.
I had posted those thoughts several times over the past couple of weeks on the forum... i get the feeling people are not understanding it because they keep belittling the entire LP over this very complex issue.
I approach it as the vice-chairman of the libertarian party of louisiana.
We are big time Ron Paul supporters... its just disheartening to see little regard to all the things we are still doing in the background with meet-up groups, while at the same time not jeopardizing ron paul with an unsolicited association.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Torch, I can see how that would be true with the libertarian party. ie. formal announcement at this point in time, but I don't see why the same would be true about the Constitution party. Maybe I'm not getting something.

I do hope however, that both parties are unofficially throwing support behind Ron Paul and not just AFTER he gets nominated, but right now.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I approach it as the vice-chairman of the libertarian party of louisiana.
We are big time Ron Paul supporters... its just disheartening to see little regard to all the things we are still doing in the background with meet-up groups, while at the same time not jeopardizing ron paul with an unsolicited association.

Oh, it is more than obvious that Ron Paul has a great deal of libertarian support. :D And, I for one, understand that it wouldn't be wise for them to officially announce support at this point in time.

torchbearer
06-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Torch, I can see how that would be true with the libertarian party. ie. formal announcement at this point in time, but I don't see why the same would be true about the Constitution party. Maybe I'm not getting something.

I do hope however, that both parties are unofficially throwing support behind Ron Paul and not just AFTER he gets nominated, but right now.

Libertyeagle, I can report the the LP in louisiana are the activist on the ground for ron paul. We are heading up and/or participating in almost all the meet-up groups. Ron Paul is discussed favorably at all LP functions...
This issue is at our heart. We want to be the most benefit without causing blowback... which a lot of us will feel may happen if we get "officially" too involved at this early point... so we do it unofficially... and the LP is not looking down on these activities at all... just not openly endorsing them yet.
There are other factors too... but i believe this particular one to be the most relevant.

guntherg16
06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
I think CP members are doing the exact same thing.

Also, I think Alan Keyes is prepared to lead an exodus from the GOP if a pro-choice candidate gets the GOP nomination.

Have you heard of the Conservative Exodus Project?

http://www.conservativeexodusproject.com/

The Pledge (sign below)

We, the undersigned, petition the Republican Party to support real conservative candidates for the 2008 presidential nomination.

In the belief that the Republican Party has become too liberal, we pledge, unless a suitable candidate is selected for the GOP 2008 presidential nomination, to stay home or vote third party (e.g. Constitution Party).

Returning to its liberal roots, the GOP has recently become the party of big business, neoliberal globalism, and unwise interventionism - not the party of conservatism.

The following presidential candidates are UNACCEPTABLE: John McCain, Rudolph Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Sam Brownback, Mike Huckabee, Chuck Hagel, Condoleezza Rice, et al. They all support the third-world invasion of the United States.

Unless a candidate is chosen who is tough on immigration (e.g. Ron Paul, Tom Tancredo, Duncan Hunter, or another candidate yet to announce), we shall have no choice but to vote third party.

We would like to stress these five points.

(1) We oppose the third-world invasion of the United States, and reject amnesty and any path to citizenship for illegals. We support deportation, attrition, and massive reductions in legal immigration, especially from the third world.

(2) We oppose free trade, the support of which has become an ideological suicide pact. Free trade is both destroying our economy and undermining our sovereignty. Historically, conservatives have opposed free trade, and they should, but many in the GOP have been "neoconned" on this issue.

(3) We support a moral candidate, critical of secularism, who embodies the virtues of the Christian Western tradition.

(4) We oppose the illegal neocon war in Iraq. The transformation of the Middle East to liberal democracy is Jacobin, not conservative.

(5) We wish to see big government reduced in size - in all three branches - and for many offices and functions to be returned to the states, where they Constitutionally belong.

Unless the above criteria are met, we pledge to stay home or vote third-party in 2008.

The Undersigned,

Addendum: Rumors abound that Fred Thompson may announce an exploratory committee. We would find him an unacceptable candidate, for he has a dubious record on immigration and is a neocon.

Tommy Thompson too would be unacceptable.

About CEP: CEP is a group of traditionalist conservatives who, realizing that the GOP is moving too leftward, started a petition on March 3, 2007 to encourage conservatives to leave the GOP if a suitable presidential candidate is not chosen in 2008.

Original_Intent
06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Have you heard of the Conservative Exodus Project?

http://www.conservativeexodusproject.com/

I have not heard of the CEP, but it sounds like a beautiful thing. When Alan Keyes spoke to the CP convention he essentially said that he would be doing something like this, but wondered if the CP was organized enough to hit the ground running with a huge influx of members.

Of late I have become disenchanted with Alan Keyes, but I do believe he is a true patriot who has been "neoconned" on some issues.

Thanks for the info on the CEP - very interesting I hope it is huge. I hope most don't take the "stay at home" option - that is surrender to tyranny.

Minuteman2008
06-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I have not heard of the CEP, but it sounds like a beautiful thing. When Alan Keyes spoke to the CP convention he essentially said that he would be doing something like this, but wondered if the CP was organized enough to hit the ground running with a huge influx of members.

Of late I have become disenchanted with Alan Keyes, but I do believe he is a true patriot who has been "neoconned" on some issues.

Thanks for the info on the CEP - very interesting I hope it is huge. I hope most don't take the "stay at home" option - that is surrender to tyranny.

I got an email about the CEP and signed their petition about six months ago, so I know it's been around for a while.