PDA

View Full Version : Born In The USA: Why Chinese 'Birth Tourism' Is Booming In California

aGameOfThrones
05-01-2015, 03:02 PM
BEIJING -- When Ma Fahong approached the immigration desk at Los Angeles International Airport, the customs agent had only two questions for her.

“Why are you coming to the U.S.?”

“I’m here to have a baby.”

“How much cash do you have on you?”

“I only have $1,000 in cash, but I have a debit card with much more in the bank.”

Passport stamped. Welcome to Los Angeles.

Ma is part of a growing wave of Chinese women who are flocking to the United States -- California, in particular -- to have children who will grow up as American citizens. The 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizenship to every person born on American soil, a fact that has long motivated foreigners from all over the world to give birth in the U.S.

The conversation about immigrant families in the U.S. is typically centered around people from Latin America seeking economic opportunities in the States. But as incomes in China rise and visa hurdles fall, women from China are making up a larger share of foreign births in the U.S, and they’re complicating many of the popular ideas about immigrant mothers.

Most of the Chinese mothers come with large sums of cash at their fingertips, money they often spend on houses and luxury goods. While many, like Ma, enter and give birth in the U.S. legally, others buy package plans from “birth tourism” agencies -- profit-seeking and sometimes illegal organizations that arrange accommodations and hospital visits for groups of Chinese women. These businesses have clustered in California, a top tourism destination that also boasts large Chinese-American communities that make many expectant mothers feel at home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/01/china-us-birth-tourism_n_7187180.html

Created4
05-01-2015, 03:52 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/01/china-us-birth-tourism_n_7187180.html

Been happening for years. A few years ago they were going after apartments housing these women by arresting the owners for operating "hotels" or "resorts" without a business license.

Now, the feds are going after them for "lyng about your reasons for coming here."

Feds Raid California 'Maternity Hotels' for Birth Tourists (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-raid-california-maternity-hotels-birth-tourists-n315996)

Brian4Liberty
05-01-2015, 04:04 PM
There's an easy solution. Repeal the jus soli language in the 14th amendment. Seems like there used to be a presidential candidate that supported that.

Noob
05-02-2015, 09:25 AM
There's an easy solution. Repeal the jus soli language in the 14th amendment. Seems like there used to be a presidential candidate that supported that.

Lot of them do it because of China's One-child Policy.

Spikender
05-02-2015, 09:28 AM
I'd be happy to help these eager mothers.

But screw moving to California. Not worth it.

Ronin Truth
05-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Taking over the US starting from the west coast with new Chinese-American "citizens" makes some significant sense for them in the longer term.

Leaning Libertarian
05-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Oh the horror!! all these Chinese having babies in the U.S. I'll never get my kids into U.C. Berkley now!! Why can't they just pick lettuce, go on welfare, and vote illegally like the other self respecting immigrants California loves to embrace!

I personally find this to be a non-issue. I live in Los Angeles County. These women are especially wealthy. They come to intentionally have their babies, but aren't having them born at the free clinic on my tax dime. They are uninsured, paying cash/check to have them at super upscale hospitals like Cedars Sinai and the likes. They leave with their babies shortly after. Once their babies come of age, they send them to college in CA in the U.C. system and are able to pay the Resident rate rather than the foreign immigrant rate, as the kid was born in CA. They also use it as a "hedge bet" in the event of an economic or social collapse in China.

California is all up in arms about this because they want their immigrants to be on Welfare, Section 8 housing, Food Stamps, SSI and any other federal social assistance. This way they will be sure to go to the polls, vote illegally, and cast a vote each time they see a D next to the candidate name. They truly and actually coordinate bussed transportation for these people to vote at the polls. Maybe they pick them up at the Home Depot Parking lot, i'm not sure where they come from, but on election day they pop out of the woodwork.

But non-illegal immigration, that may be considered unethical, is unacceptable to the Democrats. Think i'm wrong? Maybe I am, but even this article comes from the Huffington Post. Are they typically known as a liberal or conservative news source?

Created4
05-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Oh the horror!! all these Chinese having babies in the U.S. I'll never get my kids into U.C. Berkley now!! Why can't they just pick lettuce, go on welfare, and vote illegally like the other self respecting immigrants California loves to embrace!

I personally find this to be a non-issue. I live in California. These women are especially wealthy. They come to intentionally have their babies, but aren't having them born at the free clinic. They are uninsured, paying cash/check to have them at super upscale hospitals like Cedars Sinai and the likes. They leave with their babies shortly after. Once their babies come of age, they send them to college in CA in the U.C. system and are able to pay the Resident rate rather than the foreign immigrant rate, as the kid was born in CA. They also use it as a "hedge bet" in the event of an economic or social collapse in China.

California is all up in arms about this because they want their immigrants to be on Welfare, Section 8 housing, Food Stamps, SSI and any other federal social assistance. This way they will be sure to go to the polls, vote illegally, and cast a vote each time they see a D next to the candidate name. They truly and actually coordinate bussed transportation for these people to vote at the polls. Maybe they pick them up at the Home Depot Parking lot, i'm not sure where they come from, but on election day they pop out of the woodwork.

But non-illegal immigration, that may be considered unethical, is unacceptable to the Democrats. Think i'm wrong? Maybe I am, but even this article comes from the Huffington Post. Are they typically known as a liberal or conservative news source?

I agree with everything you wrote, except this:

They also use it as a "hedge bet" in the event of an economic or social collapse in China.

The chances of "an economic or social collapse" is much higher in the U.S. than China. China is the fastest growing economy and will overtake the U.S. at some point.

They do this because the educational opportunities are very limited in China, and most of the schools are not good. The new growing middle class in China that does not have access to the elite schools and see their best opportunities for their children via the education system in the U.S., which is now affordable to them. It is a ticket to better economic and social status having a degree from a respected University or college in the U.S., and it offers the best opportunity to learn English, also the key to economic success.

euphemia
05-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Legal immigrants often bring assets with them. I'm not opposed to people who come here legally. They are not draining the system.

Leaning Libertarian
05-02-2015, 11:09 AM
I agree with everything you wrote, except this:

The chances of "an economic or social collapse" is much higher in the U.S. than China. China is the fastest growing economy and will overtake the U.S. at some point.

They do this because the educational opportunities are very limited in China, and most of the schools are not good. The new growing middle class in China that does not have access to the elite schools and see their best opportunities for their children via the education system in the U.S., which is now affordable to them. It is a ticket to better economic and social status having a degree from a respected University or college in the U.S., and it offers the best opportunity to learn English, also the key to economic success.

I actually agree with everything you wrote. I am definitely not a expert on China's national social/economic status. I "suspect" because they went through the Cultural Revolution not so long ago, they would have such fears. This is like our 99% income inequality movement, but during their Cultural Revolution the 99% robbed and killed anyone they perceived as wealthy. They then put Chairman Mao Zedong in power. I don't think it is their highest motivating factor, but possibly one. I agree upper level education is their primary motivation.

alucard13mm
05-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Im surprised candidates havnt suggested changing the 14th amendment so that both or at least one parent have to be a citizen.

staerker
05-02-2015, 04:23 PM
I think it's obvious that most people just dislike immigrants in general. Whether "legal" or "illegal."

cindy25
05-02-2015, 10:11 PM
the Chinese would be better off with Vancouver. Canadian citizenship is also birthright, and non-residents are not subject to Canadian taxes.

Paul Or Nothing II
05-03-2015, 12:19 AM

Under normal circumstances, I'd say it's not going to happen but considering that this huffingtonpost & a lot of commenters there do seem upset about it, Constitutional Amendment COULD BE an option. Let's wait & see if this thing gains any political traction.

(funny as it may be, some of the commenters are blaming capitalism for this & assume that "right-wingers" would support Chinese anchor-babies even though they oppose Mexican anchor-babies; seriously, how stupid are these liberals!)

Paul Or Nothing II
05-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Legal immigrants often bring assets with them. I'm not opposed to people who come here legally. They are not draining the system.

That's right. I think only those who can pull their own economic weight should be allowed in. But I'd also add that the immigrant must have respect for the local culture, local values & accept them, you know the whole "when in Rome....". Otherwise it ends up like some of the European countries, who have let in freeloading leeches that hate the local people, local culture & wish to impose their own culture on the locals.

Paul Or Nothing II
05-03-2015, 12:33 AM
I think it's obvious that most people just dislike immigrants in general. Whether "legal" or "illegal."

Perhaps you're right to an extent but does that only apply to fictional geographical lines that we call countries? As far as I can see, many people generally dislike their children's gf/bf or spouses so may be it has to do with most people being uncomfortable with unfamiliarity & change.

Paul Or Nothing II
05-03-2015, 12:37 AM
I actually agree with everything you wrote. I am definitely not a expert on China's national social/economic status. I "suspect" because they went through the Cultural Revolution not so long ago, they would have such fears. This is like our 99% income inequality movement, but during their Cultural Revolution the 99% robbed and killed anyone they perceived as wealthy. They then put Chairman Mao Zedong in power. I don't think it is their highest motivating factor, but possibly one. I agree upper level education is their primary motivation.

I agree, political situation in China is probably not that great since with a growing middle-class, a desire for more freedom is likely spreading, I believe there are groups of people who want democracy & stuff so I agree with you that the whole thing is a potential "hedge" in case things turn for the worse in China.

mosquitobite
05-03-2015, 06:11 AM

I personally find this to be a non-issue. I live in Los Angeles County. These women are especially wealthy. They come to intentionally have their babies, but aren't having them born at the free clinic on my tax dime. They are uninsured, paying cash/check to have them at super upscale hospitals like Cedars Sinai and the likes. They leave with their babies shortly after. Once their babies come of age, they send them to college in CA in the U.C. system and are able to pay the Resident rate rather than the foreign immigrant rate, as the kid was born in CA. They also use it as a "hedge bet" in the event of an economic or social collapse in China.

From post #2:

The women's handlers provided transportation for doctor visits and trips to restaurants and shops, the court papers say. An agent tailing one of the suspects followed them to Target and Babies R Us.

They were funneled to several Orange County hospitals to deliver, but they didn't pay full price — approximately $25,000 — for medical services, officials said. Instead, they got reduced rates for the indigent, ranging from nothing to $4,000, the court papers say.

That translated into big losses for the hospitals. More than 400 babies linked to the scheme were born at just one facility in a two-year period, investigators said.

The investigators discovered that the parents of one baby born in April 2014 who paid the hospital just $4,000 were spending money at the Wynn Las Vegas Hotel, Rolex and Louis Vuitton, using an account with almost a quarter of a million dollars in it.

Brian4Liberty
05-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Perhaps what we need is a citizenship exchange program. A willing US citizen could exchange their citizenship with a willing Chinese citizen. And if either party wants to throw in something to sweeten the deal, that should be perfectly acceptable.

On a related ironic tangent, as I write this, I can hear some neighbors loudly arguing with each other in Chinese...