PDA

View Full Version : 2020: A Year Without War?

dannno
05-01-2015, 02:38 PM
A Year Without War

Trying Saying Yes, Suggests Joe White
Friday, May 1, 2015
By Kelsey Brugger

If you’re like me, you’ve heard smatterings about the movement 2020 A Year Without War, but you can’t help but be skeptical. Optimism is nice, but a global ceasefire hardly seems possible in five years’ time.

SBCC philosophy professor Joe White and a group of SBCC students beg to differ. They took on the challenge of starting a movement about three years ago. With little more than a big idea and a Wordpress website, the team set out to get 800 million people to virtually sign their petition by 2020, with the goal to tip history so that international wars halt for one year.

To date, about 40,000 people from 120 nations have signed up. Starting locally, the group convinced Santa Barbara, Lompoc, and Carpinteria city councils to issue proclamations of support. They were pleasantly surprised when the small Midwest town of Akron, Ohio did so as well. A number of local dignitaries have also endorsed them, and three dozen partners have exchanged logos with them. Every Friday, at High Mass in the Vatican, they say a prayer for “2020 a year without war.”

“This is the only hope,” White said. “It won’t come from the top down.”

This Saturday, the group is teaming up with the Santa Barbara chapter of United Nations Alliance (UNA) for an event called United Youth from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at SBCC, which will feature performances and speakers, but also have the space for free expression to hear from the youth.

Given my skepticism about ending all world wars, I decided to sit down with Professor White to see if he could twist my arm for peace.

http://www.independent.com/news/2015/may/01/year-without-war/

http://ayearwithoutwar.org/

Zippyjuan
05-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Never has been a year without war someplace in the world.

Henry Rogue
05-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Clearly a terrorist plot to subvert democracy.

JK/SEA
05-01-2015, 04:41 PM
it would kill the economy.

DamianTV
05-01-2015, 04:50 PM
2020 will most likely be the most violent year on record in history, until 2021 rolls around.

The people in charge do not profit from peace, they profit from Debt and Death. Conflicts are manufactured, Public Opinion is manufactured, War is manufactured. Make no mistake, if there is ever a time of "peace" while the Warmongers rule the Henhouses, it is only the Eye of the Storm, and something very big is most likely right around the corner. If we truly want world peace, then we must remove Warmongers from their seats of power.

roho76
05-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Clearly a terrorist plot to subvert democracy.

People these days just don't understand what's good for them.