PDA

View Full Version : Want to fix Baltimore? ‘End the drug war,’ says David Simon

Suzanimal
05-01-2015, 05:15 AM
No, The Wire does not explain what's happening in Baltimore this week, as my colleague Alyssa Rosenberg wrote yesterday. Still, the show's creator and former Baltimore Sun reporter David Simon knows a lot more about the city than most of us. And in a wide-ranging and riveting interview with The Marshall Project today, he offers an unequivocal assessment of how to turn things around in that city today.

"So do you see how this ends or how it begins to turn around?" Bill Keller asks him.

"We end the drug war," Simon says. "I know I sound like a broken record, but we end the [expletive] drug war. The drug war gives everybody permission to do anything. It gives cops permission to stop anybody, to go in anyone’s pockets, to manufacture any lie when they get to district court... Medicalize the problem, decriminalize [it] — I don't need drugs to be declared legal, but if a Baltimore State’s Attorney told all his assistant state’s attorneys today, from this moment on, we are not signing overtime slips for court pay for possession, for simple loitering in a drug-free zone... then all at once, the standards for what constitutes a worthy arrest in Baltimore would significantly improve."

Simon traces the arrest and death of Freddie Gray to a police culture that's long since abandoned any pretense of probable cause when it comes to stopping and arresting young black men in the city. "The drug war — which Baltimore waged as aggressively as any American city — was transforming in terms of police/community relations, in terms of trust, particularly between the black community and the police department," he says. "Probable cause was destroyed by the drug war."

In the growing concern over drug use in the 1980s and 1990s, political leaders -- in Baltimore and in cities all over the country -- began throwing people in jail on flimsy suspicions, Simon argues. "Too many officers who came up in a culture that taught them not the hard job of policing, but simply how to roam the city, jack everyone up, and call for the wagon."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/29/want-to-fix-baltimore-end-the-drug-war-says-david-simon/?tid=sm_tw

presence
05-01-2015, 10:29 AM
https://henryherz.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/montywitch.jpg

AuH20
05-01-2015, 10:33 AM
You would kill the black market economy there. They would have to get real jobs if the drug market was destroyed.

mrsat_98
05-01-2015, 10:54 AM
You would kill the black market economy there. They would have to get real jobs if the drug market was destroyed.

Who flipping gives a rats azz if the human traffickers at the court house and else where have to get real jobs. Geeeze

presence
05-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Because that became a big problem in Washington and Colorado?

Recreational pot: $53 million in tax revenue to Colorado (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmoney.cnn.com%2F2015%2F02%2F12%2F news%2Feconomy%2Fcolorado-marijuana-tax-revenue%2F&ei=W7BDVc7LK8nZtQX8qYCIDg&usg=AFQjCNFG8Me693lDTtb7dPsYmWpbYzrwSA&bvm=bv.92189499,d.b2w)

William Tell
05-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Simon says:

End the drug war!

:D

dannno
05-01-2015, 11:19 AM

BS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3og0JaKAbZw

Illegal drugs drain money out of the community. At least if they were legal, they would be cheap. Addicts could probably do fine on $2-3 of free market heroin a day, instead of spending hundreds every few days.

Southron
05-01-2015, 11:26 AM
The problem with Baltimore and cities just like it is much deeper than the drug war.

AuH20
05-01-2015, 11:29 AM
BS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3og0JaKAbZw

Illegal drugs drain money out of the community. At least if they were legal, they would be cheap. Addicts could probably do fine on $2-3 of free market heroin a day, instead of spending hundreds every few days.

I was being largely facetious, but I truly wonder what the fallout would be. In the urban black community, drug dealing is viewed as a glamorous, high status enterprise.

AuH20
05-01-2015, 11:31 AM
The problem with Baltimore and cities just like it is much deeper than the drug war.

It's a spiritual sickness and I'm not talking about God. They are disconnected from the land living in a unnatural place of filth and squalor chasing shit they don't need.

jonhowe
05-01-2015, 11:32 AM
The Wire DOES say this. In one season, a top cop essentially legalizes drugs in small portions of his coverage, and crime drops. He is, of course, punished and everything goes to hell again.

dannno
05-01-2015, 11:52 AM

No, the drug war is probably the biggest problem. That and the Federal Reserve are the major components of why these cities are like this.

Ronin Truth
05-01-2015, 02:10 PM
I was thinking of several fleets going to Africa.

AuH20
05-01-2015, 02:12 PM

And then the Africans would proceed to send them back with a profanity laced letter enclosed. :) In all seriousness, look at Liberia. It was supposed to be a home for freed slaves and it's been war-torn for decades.

dannno
05-01-2015, 02:17 PM

Hmm, I'd never thought of shipping all of our police force off to Africa..interesting

Ronin Truth
05-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Hmm, I'd never thought of shipping all of our police force off to Africa..interesting
Africa just might benefit.

H. E. Panqui
05-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Who flipping gives a rats azz if the human traffickers at the court house and else where have to get real jobs. Geeeze

(love it!!..:))

No, the drug war is probably the biggest problem. That and the Federal Reserve are the major components of why these cities are like this.

(...great point!..although i'd put the stinking fed as public enemy no. 1 because without 'the money power,' and therefore control of 'the media,' schools, etc. institutions ad nauseam, the stinking control freak$ wouldn't have been able to brainwash the republicrat fools so thoroughly..constant stinking 'prohibition reinforcement,' etc. assorted abominations galore for decades now...:mad: