PDA

View Full Version : Report Says American Psychological Association Collaborated on Torture Justification

Suzanimal
04-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Report Says American Psychological Association Collaborated on Torture Justification

WASHINGTON — The American Psychological Association secretly collaborated with the administration of President George W. Bush to bolster a legal and ethical justification for the torture of prisoners swept up in the post-Sept. 11 war on terror, according to a new report by a group of dissident health professionals and human rights activists.

The report is the first to examine the association’s role in the interrogation program. It contends, using newly disclosed emails, that the group’s actions to keep psychologists involved in the interrogation program coincided closely with efforts by senior Bush administration officials to salvage the program after the public disclosure in 2004 of graphic photos of prisoner abuse by American military personnel at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

“The A.P.A. secretly coordinated with officials from the C.I.A., White House and the Department of Defense to create an A.P.A. ethics policy on national security interrogations which comported with then-classified legal guidance authorizing the C.I.A. torture program,” the report’s authors conclude.

The involvement of health professionals in the Bush-era interrogation program was significant because it enabled the Justice Department to argue in secret opinions that the program was legal and did not constitute torture, since the interrogations were being monitored by health professionals to make sure they were safe.

The interrogation program has since been shut down, and last year the Senate Intelligence Committee issued a detailed report that described the program as both ineffective and abusive.

Rhea Farberman, a spokeswoman for the American Psychological Association, denied that the group had coordinated its actions with the government. There “has never been any coordination between A.P.A. and the Bush administration on how A.P.A. responded to the controversies about the role of psychologists in the interrogations program,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us/report-says-american-psychological-association-collaborated-on-torture-justification.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=fb-nytimes&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&smtyp=aut&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&_r=0

pcosmar
04-30-2015, 08:29 AM
There are no ethics in that field.

perhaps a few (very few) individuals have some level of personal morals and ethics,, but not the field as a whole.

this has been historically proven.

enhanced_deficit
04-30-2015, 09:53 AM
To be fair, torture for defending our freedoms and way of life is not same as regular torture. It is special.

donnay
04-30-2015, 10:00 AM
I am not the least bit shocked actually. SMH

Spikender
04-30-2015, 10:12 AM
Deny everything.

GunnyFreedom
04-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Ugh. I knew APA was dirty back I. High School when we had to use their format for references and citations. If they are going to stick their grubby fingers into manipulating high schoolers without reason and way off the topic of psychology, then they are just trying to exercise power, having no interest in improving general health.

PatriotOne
04-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Hardly the first time they've been involved in torture. One of it's past president (Donald Ewen Cameron) was involved in MK Ultra and had hands on torture of citizens and kids along with many other psychologists for example. You'd be hard pressed to find any big medical institute that doesn't have the NWO psycho's men put in place at the top.